Steven Spielberg: Netflix shouldn't qualify for Oscars
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Steven Spielberg: Netflix shouldn't qualify for Oscars

Interesting. Is this a case of yet another industry/man failing to evolve? Or does he have a point?

Bottom line -- Spielberg doesn't believe any Netflix content should qualify for Oscars and instead, should compete for Emmys.

IMO, they should, as judging films should be based on merit, and not based on distribution method. On the flip side, I understand the desire to support the movie theater experience, but to me, that does not trump the point that a film shall be judged on its artistry and not limited by the vehicles it uses for consumption.

Quote:
In an interview with ITV News, the Oscar-winning filmmaker weighed in on the ongoing debate about films that premiere on the streaming platform—and whether they deserve to compete with films that get a proper theatrical release come awards season. Spielberg, a filmmaking giant since the 1970s, thinks that movies that go straight to streaming are “a clear and present danger to filmgoers,” and shouldn’t be permitted to compete for Academy Awards.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/03/steven-spielberg-netflix-oscars
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject:

It a shame that such an inventive and innovative filmmaker is so out of touch with and dismissive of the direction his industry is moving.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject:

I don’t have strong feelings on the subject. But are made-for-TV movies eligible for Oscars? How is Netflix different? The real point may be that technology has blurred the distinction between the Oscars and the Emmys. That’s sort of interesting, but that’s something for the awards shows to worry about. At this point, there is such a glut of awards shows that they are all losing the interest of the general public.
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject:

^iirc the Netflix films in question always do a short theatrical run prior to or concurrent with the streaming release that qualify them within the academy guidlines.
I think that's what separates them from the made for TV films.

EDIT

Okay I just actually read the article, Steven doesnt think the short theatrical run to Oscar qualify is nearly enough.

Strange because many films have utilized that strategy long before Netflix came onto the scene, why is it all of a sudden now an issue? Because Netflix has been winning?

Last edited by ChickenBeckerman on Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
It a shame that such an inventive and innovative filmmaker is so out of touch with and dismissive of the direction his industry is moving.

Since you're in the industry, maybe you can answer this. From the outside, it seems like a lot of people in the movie industry seem to really dislike Netflix. To me, it doesn't make sense. Wouldn't having yet another major player with deep pockets and willing to finance project after project be a boon for everyone in the industry?
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject:

hmmm alot of industry people actually do like Netflix though. Right now they are employing ALOT of people. That huge new building complex and campus on Sunset filled up fast and they've pretty much taken over the Sunset Gower area and continue to grow fast.
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

He may be innovative and inventive, but I simply can’t stand him. Admittedly I liked Saving Private Ryan and Munich, but that’s about it.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject:

ChickenBeckerman wrote:
hmmm alot of industry people actually do like Netflix though. Right now they are employing ALOT of people. That huge new building complex and campus on Sunset filled up fast and they've pretty much taken over the Sunset Gower area and continue to grow fast.

I guess I just read some articles where Netflix films were booed by a lot of the goers at some film festivals. Can't remember which ones.
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject:

^interesting. Haven't heard about that. I kinda bounce around town every other month or so on various lots and even boutique production places. My general feeling was that most people are cool with it. Could definitely just be me though and it's been a long while since I've been to any festivals.
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:04 am    Post subject:

ChickenBeckerman wrote:

I thought the same thing, they really produce a lot of jobs. And produce some nice entertainment as well.
Maybe there is some jealousy or fear involved?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:06 am    Post subject:

cathy78 wrote:
ChickenBeckerman wrote:

I thought the same thing, they really produce a lot of jobs. And produce some nice entertainment as well.
Maybe there is some jealousy or fear involved?

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/news/a55173/netflix-amazon-cannes-2017-booed/

Maybe it was a one off since this was the only incident I can find on google. In any event, if Netflix helps the tide rise for everyone in the showmaking business...good on you all! It's awesome imo.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:21 am    Post subject:

So Netflix content is eligible for both Emmys and Oscars? Hmm..., that's the most I've thought about either award in 5 years.
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:22 am    Post subject:

It just might be the whole growing pain of 'adjusting to change' type of thing. What's interesting though is that Spielberg EP'd a really good doc series on Netflix last year about WW2 filmmakers and I believe he has a few other projects in the works over there as well. Prior to reading this I was thinking he had fully embraced the new medium.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenBeckerman wrote:

I guess I just read some articles where Netflix films were booed by a lot of the goers at some film festivals. Can't remember which ones.

I think it was Cannes for Okja and one other film.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Since you're in the industry, maybe you can answer this. From the outside, it seems like a lot of people in the movie industry seem to really dislike Netflix. To me, it doesn't make sense. Wouldn't having yet another major player with deep pockets and willing to finance project after project be a boon for everyone in the industry?

From my experience, the industry loves the advent of Netflix because it means a ton more production which means tons more jobs. But then then not everyone in the industry is in that small group of elites who are consistently making films that get Oscar attention and are thus are not threatened by the competition as Spielberg seems to be.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject:

Lowest Merion wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

He may be innovative and inventive, but I simply can’t stand him. Admittedly I liked Saving Private Ryan and Munich, but that’s about it.

I totally understand.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

From my experience, the industry loves the advent of Netflix because it means a ton more production which means tons more jobs. But then then not everyone in the industry is in that small group of elites who are consistently making films that get Oscar attention and are thus are not threatened by the competition as Spielberg seems to be.

Yeah, I was just going to say that when you start blurring genres, elitism masquerading as purism will tend to pop up among the genre seen to be being infiltrated or “diluted”. Setting that aside, I do think they should make sure they have a legit standard for whatever they consider eligible and not allow a gimmick loophole.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Yeah, I was just going to say that when you start blurring genres, elitism masquerading as purism will tend to pop up among the genre seen to be being infiltrated or “diluted”. Setting that aside, I do think they should make sure they have a legit standard for whatever they consider eligible and not allow a gimmick loophole.

There have been gimmick loopholes from the very beginning . . . such as one week limited releases right at the end of the calendar year to qualify (like "Phantom Thread"). But yes, I agree.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject:

I just don't get it. I spent a lot time in the business . It should be very simple.

Did you make a movie?

Is it good?

HBO was killing it a million years ago. Barbarians at gate is still one of my favorites .
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject:

At the end of the day, the academy is just a snobbish invitation only club whose awards are only as important as people think they are. Whether they close ranks and keep the Netflix folks out or not really doesn’t matter much to me. I haven’t watched the Oscars in years.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
I just don't get it. I spent a lot time in the business . It should be very simple.

Did you make a movie?

Is it good?

HBO was killing it a million years ago. Barbarians at gate is still one of my favorites .

Well, I understand why they need to draw a line in the sand. I mean, there are countless amateur films made, TV movies, all the thousands of silly youtube, vimeo, and facebook videos, it would just be impossible to vet them all.

So it makes sense to draw a line, and they have. Spielberg just thinks the line isn’t far enough.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

Did you make a movie?

Is it good?

Well, I understand why they need to draw a line in the sand. I mean, there are countless amateur films made, TV movies, all the thousands of silly youtube, vimeo, and facebook videos, it would just be impossible to vet them all.

So it makes sense to draw a line, and they have. Spielberg just thinks the line isn’t far enough.

Amateur films and social media videos have nothing to do with multimillion dollar projects for large scale media platforms like Netflix.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

Did you make a movie?

Is it good?

Completely disagree. I did acquisitions for the art house division of one of the major studios. If a feature length film came out either I or a member of my team watched it regardless of source or language. We definitely didn't watch all of them all the way through but they all got a shot. Definitely a case of be careful what you wish for. I got paid to watch movies. It sucked.

YouTube vimeo and Facebook vids rarely get close to reaching the 75 minute threshold that qualifies it as a feature. Netflix has higher production standards than most so again. They make a movie. If it's good then it qualifies.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

Did you make a movie?

Is it good?

Amateur films and social media videos have nothing to do with multimillion dollar projects for large scale media platforms like Netflix.

What I’m saying is they need to draw the line in the sand somewhere. Otherwise, there is no distinction between a film made by my friends and I on Youtube and one with a multi-million dollar budget. It’s not as sinple as saying “Did you make a movie and was it good” because in order to know if any movie was good you have to watch it.

They can’t review ALL movies produced in a calendar year. They have to create some reasonable boundaries. And they have. I think the boundaries they have specified for what defines an eligible movie for Oscar consideration is fine even if Spielberg doesnt agree.

Those boundaries include length, some distribution rules, and some quality rules (the tech used to create the movie).
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

Did you make a movie?

Is it good?

What I’m saying is they need to draw the line in the sand somewhere. Otherwise, there is no distinction between a film made by my friends and I on Youtube and one with a multi-million dollar budget. It’s not as sinple as saying “Did you make a movie and was it good” because in order to know if any movie was good you have to watch it.

They can’t review ALL movies produced in a calendar year. They have to create some reasonable boundaries. And they have. I think the boundaries they have specified for what defines an eligible movie for Oscar consideration is fine even if Spielberg doesnt agree.

Those boundaries include length, some distribution rules, and some quality rules (the tech used to create the movie).

Clerks, Blair witch and many others were made on shoestring budgets. And yes you can watch every movie made In any year. We had 6 people and between us we didn't miss anything feature length that didn't already have distribution. Most of them suck. If no story is established In the first 10 minutes it's a pass. If there's something salvageable then depending on how you're watching you either fast forward or skip to the next reel..
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: