Kerr picks Kobe not Lebron as closest to MJ
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject:

I'm surprised that this is even something to debate. I thought it was so well known as to be almost a cliché. Using the NBA Finals as an example, none of the Finals since 1998 have come close to the ratings or average viewership for any of the Finals involving the Jordan Bulls. The same is true for TV ratings in general.

The Jordan years were a bubble for the NBA, and the bubble burst when Jordan retired. Not even Lakers vs. Celtics or Lebron could bring the NBA back to the Jordan level.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I'm surprised that this is even something to debate. I thought it was so well known as to be almost a cliché. Using the NBA Finals as an example, none of the Finals since 1998 have come close to the ratings or average viewership for any of the Finals involving the Jordan Bulls. The same is true for TV ratings in general.

The Jordan years were a bubble for the NBA, and the bubble burst when Jordan retired. Not even Lakers vs. Celtics or Lebron could bring the NBA back to the Jordan level.

There’s no debate on this. Also, I believe Jordan sold out every road game in his first 3peat. Not sure anyone else has done that for 3 seasons.

Why is it that some folks can’t love Kobe without having to pretend like MJ wasn’t absurdly impactful to the game?

Doesn’t matter how much he did. MJ impacted the game more than any other player. Period.
Zillethai
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
I would agree Kobe is the closest to MJ in terms of style of play. But as far of all time rankings go I have Lebron ranked higher than Kobe.

Anyone who is being honest with himself does.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject:

Zillethai wrote:
32 wrote:
I would agree Kobe is the closest to MJ in terms of style of play. But as far of all time rankings go I have Lebron ranked higher than Kobe.

I think I'm pretty honest with myself, and I could go either way in terms of how I rank LeBron and Kobe.

What I find odd is when it comes to MJ, Kobe, LeBron, and the like, we're talking about the five to ten greatest players in the 60-year history of the NBA. I am a little puzzled why some people get so worked up over the exact ordering of these guys. To me that is nothing more than a fun intellectual exercise. But I recognize that the separation between any of them is infinitesimal, and as a group they stand high above the hundreds and hundreds of other great athletes who have played in the league over the last half-century
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Zillethai wrote:
32 wrote:

I think I'm pretty honest with myself, and I could go either way in terms of how I rank LeBron and Kobe.

What I find odd is when it comes to MJ, Kobe, LeBron, and the like, we're talking about the five to ten greatest players in the 60-year history of the NBA. I am a little puzzled why some people get so worked up over the exact ordering of these guys. To me that is nothing more than a fun intellectual exercise. But I recognize that the separation between any of them is infinitesimal, and as a group they stand high above the hundreds and hundreds of other great athletes who have played in the league over the last half-century

I think people get worked up about where Kobe and Lebron rank as a reflection of the tribalism that we have in our society. Imo Lebron's ranking is a little inflated due to the way ESPN markets him, and also the way Lebron constantly markets and brands himself.

It also depends on what you value. Many people these days love numbers and analytics, and if that's you you probably think Lebron ranks top 2 or 3 of all time. If you value winning championships, coming through under extreme pressure, intangibles, subtleties and reading between the lines then you think Kobe ranks slightly higher than Lebron.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject:

“What bothers me, is when they do talk about it, LeBron is great, first of all. When they talk about comparing him to Michael, I don’t understand how they don’t have the debate when it comes to Kobe. Like, I don’t get it. I mean, you forgot or something? They forgot? I really think they forgot the Mamba, man. Certified serial killer, man.”

- Allen Iverson
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I don't think the NBA will ever have the same ratings as it did during the 90s. There's just too much alternative entertainment options that are readily available in this day and age.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I don't think the NBA will ever have the same ratings as it did during the 90s. There's just too much alternative entertainment options that are readily available in this day and age.

One of the valid reasons. Soccer was dead back then. Look at it now.
The shift of preferences might have played some role in the drop aside from the increasing costs of attending an NBA game.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

There’s no debate on this. Also, I believe Jordan sold out every road game in his first 3peat. Not sure anyone else has done that for 3 seasons.

Why is it that some folks can’t love Kobe without having to pretend like MJ wasn’t absurdly impactful to the game?

Doesn’t matter how much he did. MJ impacted the game more than any other player. Period.

growing up, my dad would watch basketball games from time to time on television....Lakers, Celtics, etc....but starting around 1991, he began to watch the Bulls (think they came on WGN?)....and outside of those years Jordan was playing baseball, I doubt he missed 5 games. The only games I recall him attending in person were Bulls games during the Jordan era. Since Jordan retired from the Bulls, I would be surprised if he has watched 20 NBA games outside of the Finals. He is amused when the broadcasters or analysts discuss if Lebron is better than Jordan. Jordan was, is, and probably will always be the GOAT for the remainder of my days.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

The Jordan years were definitely a bubble for the NBA. All that time, scoring, pace and shooting efficiencies were dropping fast and the game was becoming really ugly and hard to watch. But ratings were still at an all time high. It shows us what a cult of personality Jordan was, and also what marketing and branding can do to overcome weakness or even problems that a product has.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7
Jump to: