2018 Masters
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 14069
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:17 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
That’s where tiger went wrong. When the physical issues and the off course issues intruded, he lost his mental advantage, and he’s never gotten his legendary intimidating laser focus back. It’s what separated him from guys like Michelson, who actually has a better bag of shots but never had the ability to just dial in and go predator.


Phil does have all the shots, but I equate Phil to someone like Arnold Palmer, while Tiger was more like Nicklaus. Phil has always been more of a gambler on the golf course. It's just who he is. He goes for shots and tries to make birdies (and eagles), and sometimes this costs him dearly. We've seen that pop up in ugly ways, probably none more obvious than that US Open at Winged Foot on the 72nd hole, basically handing that championship to Geoff Ogilvy. I do think that Phil has reigned this in a bit as he's gotten older, but it's still absolutely in his golfing DNA.

As for Tiger, he played like Jack, and almost how Spieth plays...very calculating around the golf course. Not attacking tough pin placements, keeping the ball below the hole on most par 4's, being willing to hit irons or 3-woods off the tee to get into position, and murdering the par 5's (when he was in his prime). And while Phil is certainly a good putter, he's had issues at times with short putts (kind of like my favorite non-Jack player ever, Fred Couples). Tiger, for the most part, has been money from 5 feet and in during his career, especially in the majors.

I can't believe how many times Fred and Phil have broken my heart with missed short putts or errant shots over the years. Fred always seemed to hit a self-destructive shot every time he got into contention at the Masters. Heck, even the one time he won it in 1992, he got lucky that his ball stayed on the bank on 12. I remember a year where he hit it into the woods on 13, was able to get it back into the fairway, and then hit his 3rd shot into Rae's Creek and made 7. Then he made eagle on the 15th; just Freddy being Freddy. There was another year, I think maybe when he was around 50, where he was in contention and had a very short birdie putt on 14 to pull to within one, and he ended up three-putting to basically end his chances.

I know I got off on a tangent, but hey, I love the Masters.
_________________
It's time to quiet the naysayers and Laker haters...let's go!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 07 Sep 2017
Posts: 366

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject:

Greatest golf tourney in the world.

Leaders are coming back to Tiger early today. Watch out
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Moses
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Posts: 7880
Location: London

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject:

Tiger looks like he will make the cut at this point, Spieth has responded nicely from a bad start today to look good at the moment.

The field is quite even at the top, don’t think Reed will stay there, but hopefully DJ & Spieth are up there on the final day, would be good watching.
_________________
Even The Genius Has His Questions, Be Grateful For Blessings...
Lakers, Chargers, Dodgers

RIP Junior Seau
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 41237
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
Tiger looks like he will make the cut at this point, Spieth has responded nicely from a bad start today to look good at the moment.

The field is quite even at the top, don’t think Reed will stay there, but hopefully DJ & Spieth are up there on the final day, would be good watching.


The field stayed closer than I thought it would. So that 4 strokes that I figured Tiger would have to stay ahead of looks like it will work if he can keep his current pace.

Right now, 20 guys are within 4 of the leader. If they can stay bunched like that, Saturday and Sunday should be an interesting roller coaster on the leaderboard
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 44566
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Tiger +5. Front 9, 2 bogies, no birdies.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 07 Sep 2017
Posts: 366

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Actually a double and a bogey. He looks awful. 6/7 fairways to then hit 2/9 greens? From arguably the greatest iron player ever that is just never gonna cut it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 14069
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Tiger hit it into the water on 12, and the shot wasn't even close, and the swing looked awful. He's spraying balls all over the place today. Looks terrible.

Not that he's the only one. Phil had a 79 today and will miss the cut.
_________________
It's time to quiet the naysayers and Laker haters...let's go!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 41237
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject:

His margin of error is nil now, and he’s not hitting well. He and Phil will likely be watching together this weekend.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 14069
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject:

There are a lot of really bad shots and swings happening right now. Hoffman just hit it halfway into the pond on 12. Then Reed went way long and into the back bunker on the same hole. This after Reed 3-putted on 11.
_________________
It's time to quiet the naysayers and Laker haters...let's go!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 44566
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Eldrick +4 projected cut +5. Not much room for error. He's been sporadic.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 41237
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Tiger really played pretty solid those last 6 holes or so. Birdies and potential Eagles have lead to him probably being safe for the weekend.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Oct 2001
Posts: 41495

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject:

Captain America with a 66 and a 2 shot lead.

He must think it is the Ryder Cup, going to be an insane weekend.
_________________
Love, Laker Lanny
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 44566
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject:

Interesting. Tiger involvement is most likely the reason for the viewer increase.

Ratings Roundup: ESPN’s Masters First Round Viewership Up 40%; NBCSN Notches Best Quarter Ever

LINK
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Moses
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Posts: 7880
Location: London

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:31 am    Post subject:

Pretty good tournament so far, it's building into what should be a really good ending, still a lot of players in contention, should make for an awesome final day if it's still close at the top after today.

Going out for a morning round of golf now, I'm ready for the inevitable disappointment when I replicate all the bad shots from TV yesterday but none of the good ones
_________________
Even The Genius Has His Questions, Be Grateful For Blessings...
Lakers, Chargers, Dodgers

RIP Junior Seau
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 30378

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject:

Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
Greatest golf tourney in the world.

Leaders are coming back to Tiger early today. Watch out


Yep, when I think of a premier golf course I think of Augusta....remember a couple of years ago when they held the US Open at Chambers Bay? That place was a dump, there were no trees, and there was a freaking train running thru the place...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 41237
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
Greatest golf tourney in the world.

Leaders are coming back to Tiger early today. Watch out


Yep, when I think of a premier golf course I think of Augusta....remember a couple of years ago when they held the US Open at Chambers Bay? That place was a dump, there were no trees, and there was a freaking train running thru the place...


It's a links course like St. Andrews (which also has a rail line passing through as I recall) . . . It's the type of course that is the origin of golf. Hardly a "dump".
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 30378

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
Greatest golf tourney in the world.

Leaders are coming back to Tiger early today. Watch out


Yep, when I think of a premier golf course I think of Augusta....remember a couple of years ago when they held the US Open at Chambers Bay? That place was a dump, there were no trees, and there was a freaking train running thru the place...


It's a links course like St. Andrews (which also has a rail line passing through as I recall) . . . It's the type of course that is the origin of golf. Hardly a "dump".


That was the type of golf course it was modeled after. Unfortunately, they did a terrible job with the course design and it was pretty much criticized throughout the 2015 US Open tournament by numerous PGA players.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Moses
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Posts: 7880
Location: London

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Reed having a pretty amazing time so far. Great day for McIlroy, Fowler and Rahm too. Fleetwood close behind too.

Gonna be a decent last day man
_________________
Even The Genius Has His Questions, Be Grateful For Blessings...
Lakers, Chargers, Dodgers

RIP Junior Seau
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 44566
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Tommy Fleetwood looks like a hippie.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 41237
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
Reed having a pretty amazing time so far. Great day for McIlroy, Fowler and Rahm too. Fleetwood close behind too.

Gonna be a decent last day man


If he plays decently tomorrow, it is essentially Reed's tournament to lose. It's realistically down to just 5, maybe 8, guys.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 41237
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Tommy Fleetwood looks like a hippie.


Haver you been outside since 1970?
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 14069
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
Greatest golf tourney in the world.

Leaders are coming back to Tiger early today. Watch out


Yep, when I think of a premier golf course I think of Augusta....remember a couple of years ago when they held the US Open at Chambers Bay? That place was a dump, there were no trees, and there was a freaking train running thru the place...


It's a links course like St. Andrews (which also has a rail line passing through as I recall) . . . It's the type of course that is the origin of golf. Hardly a "dump".


That was the type of golf course it was modeled after. Unfortunately, they did a terrible job with the course design and it was pretty much criticized throughout the 2015 US Open tournament by numerous PGA players.


Yeah, I have to agree with you. The course just didn't come off as expected. They basically built the course in a rock quarry, and it just lacked the typical ambience you'd expect. But beyond that, the greens were dreadful and you had no idea what the ball was going to do on even a 3 foot putt. Dustin Johnson missed a 2 and a half footer to get into a playoff with Spieth and you saw the ball just wobble almost instantly off his putter. I don't think any big championships will be contested there anytime soon.
_________________
It's time to quiet the naysayers and Laker haters...let's go!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 41237
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
Greatest golf tourney in the world.

Leaders are coming back to Tiger early today. Watch out


Yep, when I think of a premier golf course I think of Augusta....remember a couple of years ago when they held the US Open at Chambers Bay? That place was a dump, there were no trees, and there was a freaking train running thru the place...


It's a links course like St. Andrews (which also has a rail line passing through as I recall) . . . It's the type of course that is the origin of golf. Hardly a "dump".


That was the type of golf course it was modeled after. Unfortunately, they did a terrible job with the course design and it was pretty much criticized throughout the 2015 US Open tournament by numerous PGA players.


Yeah, I have to agree with you. The course just didn't come off as expected. They basically built the course in a rock quarry, and it just lacked the typical ambience you'd expect. But beyond that, the greens were dreadful and you had no idea what the ball was going to do on even a 3 foot putt. Dustin Johnson missed a 2 and a half footer to get into a playoff with Spieth and you saw the ball just wobble almost instantly off his putter. I don't think any big championships will be contested there anytime soon.


Conditions aside, my point was that the style of treeless links course is the root of the game.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 41237
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Moses wrote:
Reed having a pretty amazing time so far. Great day for McIlroy, Fowler and Rahm too. Fleetwood close behind too.

Gonna be a decent last day man


If he plays decently tomorrow, it is essentially Reed's tournament to lose. It's realistically down to just 5, maybe 8, guys.


Reed, Rory and Stenson are the only ones (in realistic contention) to go under all three rounds. Reed is the only one whose rounds have all been in the 60's.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Oct 2001
Posts: 41495

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject:

Generally, Masters Champions come out of the final two groups almost exclusively.

That puts it down to Reed, McIlroy, Fowler and Rahm.

Fowler and Rahm being 5 and 6 shots behind would mean that both Reed and McIlroy would have to both play poorly for them to have any shot.

It really is a two horse race at this point.
_________________
Love, Laker Lanny
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB