TNT Said Chicago using Ben Gordon as Trade Bait
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: TNT Said Chicago using Ben Gordon as Trade Bait

Last night Kerr, and I believe Marv Albert said Ben Gordon was Chicago biggest piece of trade bait.
Since they have so many guards (Duhon, Hinrich, Pargo, Gordon) it doesn't surprise that they would trade one of them. Does anyone think that perhaps the Lakers could pull it off.
From what I see they need a scoring at the SG/SF. I'm not up to date with their injuries, so I don't know if I'm excluding anyone but does anyone think they'll take Devean or Cookie for Gordon?
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject:

I personally would much rather have Heinrich or Duhon. Gordon's a great scorer, but his lack of size and defense are huge liabilities and it seems like Godon will end up carrying a much bigger salary.

That said, I'm not sure what Chicago's goals are. All we can offer really is expiring contracts and a draft pick, so if that's what they're looking for, great - do it mitch! Unfortunately, i think they're looking for talent back, so Devean and Cookie aren't gonna cut it.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject:

Ok, lets put this into perspective. Devean and, Cookie our biggest and baddest men on the bench for a man Chicago apparently rates below Pargo...

Somebody please explain this to me...
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject:

First of all I didn't know that he was rated blow Pargo. Secondly,l I didn't suggest both, I said one of the two (Devean or Cookie). They want scoring, L.A. wants a guard. I don't know how good he is defensively but Chicago has a reputation of being a good defensive team I figured perhaps Gordon was guilty by association.
There is your explanation.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject:

Shoes, I don't know where your statement about Gordon being rated below Pargo comes from. Gordon starts and has put up a string of 30 point games. Duhon is the first guard off the bench and Pargo is somewhere cleaning the gum off of the bottom of arena chairs. Gordon is a quality scorer in this league and Chicago will likely do better than Cook and George for him. Again though, I'd rather go cheaper and pick up Duhon or go full force for Heinrich .
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject:

doesn't he have a decent outside shot? he could be our steve kerr/bj armstrong!
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject:

i'd prefer deng, but gordon would be nice nevertheless. with the increased scoring threat, i'd be able to handle the lack of defense.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject:

Cook for Duhon works for me.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject:

You know what? You guys are right because, Gordon will probably get a lot more attention than Pargo. So my bad... However, I'll tell you guys right now the way Devean and Cookie are playing you would have to kill Jackson to get two of his most knowledgeable tri men who have been producing like crazy involved in that trade. The Lakers would probably consider McKie and, Slava and a couple of passes to Universal Studios but, beyond that no way...
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject:

THE_SHOES wrote:
You know what? You guys are right because, Gordon will probably get a lot more attention than Pargo. So my bad... However, I'll tell you guys right now the way Devean and Cookie are playing you would have to kill Jackson to get two of his most knowledgeable tri men who have been producing like crazy involved in that trade. The Lakers would probably consider McKie and, Slava and a couple of passes to Universal Studios but, beyond that no way...

You know what though, you bring up a great point here. The only way we're going to get talent is through a trade, FA or the draft. The draft is weak, and the FA market is fairly weak this year. Problem is, we don't have a lot of talent to make a trade with. Frankly, guys like Devean and Cook are more valuable to us than other teams because of their tri knowledge. So when exactly is a good time to trade them?

A guy like Gordon has more trade value because he's an athletic scorer even if he's undersized and plays no D. So if we can get him, shouldn't we? I guess the question comes down to - can we do better than Ben Gordon for Devean and Cook? I'm not sure we can - possible, but again, I think we tend to over value these guys because of their tri knowledge and because they play for us

Even if he's not a fit now, Gordon's an upgrade in talent and a more valuable trading chip - he'd be easier to trade for value than Cook or Devean. I know Phil would have a fit, but just cuz Dev and Cook are playing well NOW, does that mean we shouldn't trade them? If not now then when? Don't we have to take a look a little further into the future than the next several games?

I'd say if we can get a talent upgrade by trading two less talented guys for one more talented guy, then let's do it even if it has some short term negative effects. We aren't winning a championship this year, so if we can upgrade talent to help us eventually get there, I say we take the opportunity.

Last edited by Socks on Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
vicman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject:

dude he trades cook or george for gordon any day of the week all day and night. no way he does not make that trade.
delaluz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject:

I think that Gordon lead the NBA for a while in scoring in the 4th quarter. I'm not talking about a couple of games either.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Trading DG is a no brainer. His contract expires, but even if PJ wants him, and he will agree to a smaller contract, he could be a Laker again next season.

I pass on Gordon, I don't see where he would be that great of a fit, at least compared to other targets that are out there.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject:

THE_SHOES wrote:
However, I'll tell you guys right now the way Devean and Cookie are playing you would have to kill Jackson to get two of his most knowledgeable tri men who have been producing like crazy involved in that trade. The Lakers would probably consider McKie and, Slava and a couple of passes to Universal Studios but, beyond that no way...

You get more ridiculous by the day.
vicman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject:

really i see him as a necessity a bonifde 2nd scorer on a ocnsistent basis that can make is own shot. i can see a 2 man game in the 4th with gordon and kobe. i doubt they would take george and cook for gordon though. i think grodon costs you mihm at the least.
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Is there a better, player we can get then Gordon? we should go after him it's not like we will get anything better if we offer DG and maybe Mihm.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Yes, there is better to be had. Players who make a better fit.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Gordon is very selfish and has fast lost his status as their best player.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Yes, there is better to be had. Players who make a better fit.

My question is how can get impact players with what we have to offer? Bynum is not going anywhere not sure about Odom but you tell me what we can get more then Gordon at this point?
Mongo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject:

DaggerInTheHeart wrote:
Is there a better, player we can get then Gordon? we should go after him it's not like we will get anything better if we offer DG and maybe Mihm.

So in other words...the Lakers should panic.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

I believe we can. But I wouldn't guarantee we will. I agree with Wolf, I am unimpressed with Gordon this season. I would put him behind Duhon and Hinrich on the list of Bulls players I want. I have only seen a few Bulls games, but I wasn't impressed with Gordon's defense at all.
Canuck
Star Player
Star Player

I say if it can be done, do it. I watched him at the Staples Center light it up against the Clippers. We could use that scoring and he plays gritty. Do it Mitch!
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
THE_SHOES wrote:
However, I'll tell you guys right now the way Devean and Cookie are playing you would have to kill Jackson to get two of his most knowledgeable tri men who have been producing like crazy involved in that trade. The Lakers would probably consider McKie and, Slava and a couple of passes to Universal Studios but, beyond that no way...

You get more ridiculous by the day.

Guess, I should be a Laker exec then because I'll bet I'm on par with the same ridiculous as the organization is. Gordon is nothing more than another Kareem Rush. The foaming at the mouth in here is of desperation.
Your desperate RG because of your frustration. That kind of attitude can't do anything more than make a bigger mess. You guys are right where you need to be so as to not be dangerous...
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I believe we can.

Then i guess you believe Odom or Bynum are gonna be traded?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject:

They might. You would be surprised at the trade value on the Lakers. As I have said many times, other GMs don't have the personal stake in this team that we have, they have much more objectivity, and recognize the value on this roster.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: