Westbrook needs 16 rebounds tonight to average a triple double for the season again
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 93735
Location: Do you believe in Magic?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
MJST wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
Westbrook has single handedly diminished the career of Oscar Robertson. What once seemed to be an astonishing hallmark - averaging a triple double - now seems doable through trivial stat stuffing. Is there any doubt that that Jordan. Kobe and Lebron could average a triple double if they wanted to?


Magic could have easily done that too if he wanted. But he valued winning and sharing the ball


Dude stop.

Magic tried. He admitted he tried. But he fell short, and he gave Robertson props for his accomplishment In his sophomore and third seasons Magic tried to average a triple double. He came close in 81-82 where he fell 0.4 Rebounds and 0.5 Assists short.

He said he talked to Oscar after and said he had no idea how tough his accomplishment was, till he(Magic) tried it.


So don't try to come with the "Magic could have if he wanted to but was too unselfish." to try to diminish what Westbrook did and build up the 'ease' Magic could have done it.

Magic tried. He fell short. Westbrook did it two seasons in a row. Give credit where it's due instead of trying to find excuses why it didn't happen for players you like.

That's like the Skip Bayless take where he said MJ would never help up an opposing player, and then someone linked a video of Jordan helping a Piston to their feet


But it seems you're trying to convince yourself that Paul George is gonna go "Wow Westbrook averaged a Triple Double in his 2nd straight season..... omg so selfish! Ima go to the Lakers!!"

Paul George has already expressed his admiration for it, and said it shows how bad Westbrook wants to win and how people don't seem to understand that.

If George left, it wouldn't be because Westbrook just accomplished something historic that no other NBA player has before.


You think if he told KAJ/Worthy, et. al. that he wanted to get a triple double, they'd agree to box out for him so he can get rebounds? Of course not, b/c they wouldn't take part in such an indulgent thing.

Did you see the countless YouTube videos that showed how blatantly OKC has supported him in this crusade?




And if social media was around back in the day along with youtube I'm sure people could put together clips of rebounds that Magic got from other people, or ways to try to discredit his accomplishments, and the many times Jordan supposedly traveled, and there'd be a million view video showing off how the Utah Jazz "set up assists" for John Stockton so that he'd be the all time leader which was a small controversy back in the day too.

Magic was also the person the Lakers WANTED to get rebounds because then he would lead the fast break. But you didn't take that into account I gather?

But someone on youtube back in the day could have easily put together a video and go "See? They let Magic get rebounds" and then Lakers fans would show up and go "duh..we want him leading the fast break."


I see. So OKC "wants" WB to get rebounds too...so you've proven my point.
_________________
We have LBJ.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
MJST
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 16402

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject:

You don't get it, but I don't expect you to. Continue looking through your hate filled eyes and trying to convince yourself that Westbrook averaging a Triple Double is gonna convince Paul George to leave.
_________________
How NBA 2K18 failed the All-Time Lakers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxMBYm3wwxk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 93735
Location: Do you believe in Magic?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
You don't get it, but I don't expect you to. Continue looking through your hate filled eyes and trying to convince yourself that Westbrook averaging a Triple Double is gonna convince Paul George to leave.


Hate filled eyes? Give me a break.

I've acknowledged a dozen times that it's a remarkable individual achievement.

It does not lend to actual rings is my point and I don't think this point will be proven wrong.

And as said dozens of times elsewhere, PG13 leaving OKC is based on numerous reasons and not solely WB averaging a triple double.

But if you need to construct a Triple Double strawman, have at it.
_________________
We have LBJ.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kikanga
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 17469
Location: La La Land

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Westbrook averaging a triple double won't cause the Thunder to not win a chip. Those stats are a symptom.
Similar to Jordan's remarkable stats pre-Phil. Or Kobe before Phil came back the 2nd time. It's a coaching issue.
The thunder's net rating is 10 points higher when Westbrook is on the floor. Westbrook's off-court net rating is the lowest of any player on the team (by a large margin).
_________________
"The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt" - Bertrand Russell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 93735
Location: Do you believe in Magic?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Westbrook averaging a triple double won't cause the Thunder to not win a chip. Those stats are a symptom.
Similar to Jordan's remarkable stats pre-Phil. Or Kobe before Phil came back the 2nd time. It's a coaching issue.
The thunder's net rating is 10 points higher when Westbrook is on the floor. Westbrook's off-court net rating is the lowest of any player on the team (by a large margin).


Right. But which coach can ever feel him in?
_________________
We have LBJ.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Lowest Merion
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 22 Jun 2010
Posts: 10720

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject:

“Hate filled eyes” is now the front runner for worst LG post of at least the year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Posts: 24508

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Lowest Merion wrote:
“Hate filled eyes” is now the front runner for worst LG post of at least the year.


At least it didn't take him a novel no one reads to get his point outt this time.
_________________
Never wanted him anyways! Bron/Kawhi 2019!!! Choo Choo!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Posts: 24508

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Lowest Merion wrote:
“Hate filled eyes” is now the front runner for worst LG post of at least the year.


At least it didn't take him a novel no one reads to get his point across this time.
_________________
Never wanted him anyways! Bron/Kawhi 2019!!! Choo Choo!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2001
Posts: 10140

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Westbrook has single handedly diminished the career of Oscar Robertson. What once seemed to be an astonishing hallmark - averaging a triple double - now seems doable through trivial stat stuffing. Is there any doubt that that Jordan. Kobe and Lebron could average a triple double if they wanted to?


Yes, I very much doubt that Kobe could. Kobe never averaged more than 7 rebounds or 6 assists per game. He had a team where he had free reign to have as high a usage rate as WB. This isn't a knock on Kobe, but lets not imagine he could do things he couldn't. Like are we going to say that if he only wanted to focus on rebounding he could have put up a Rodman like 18 rpg average too? Kobe was what he was, just like WB is what he is.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Oct 2003
Posts: 4234
Location: Santa Monica

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
Westbrook has single handedly diminished the career of Oscar Robertson. What once seemed to be an astonishing hallmark - averaging a triple double - now seems doable through trivial stat stuffing. Is there any doubt that that Jordan. Kobe and Lebron could average a triple double if they wanted to?


Yes, I very much doubt that Kobe could. Kobe never averaged more than 7 rebounds or 6 assists per game. He had a team where he had free reign to have as high a usage rate as WB. This isn't a knock on Kobe, but lets not imagine he could do things he couldn't. Like are we going to say that if he only wanted to focus on rebounding he could have put up a Rodman like 18 rpg average too? Kobe was what he was, just like WB is what he is.

Neither Kobe nor Jordan could've averaged a triple double. I think Jordan averaged 8 assists and rebounds one year, but there's a big difference between 8 and 10 per game. Both those guys were good, underrated passers, but not great passers.

When it comes to Westbrook surpassing Oscar, the one knock against Westbrook is his low efficiency. I just looked up Oscar's stats, and he shot 48.5% for his career. Westbrook is one of my favorite players right now, but he really needs to win at least one championship to surpass Oscar without a doubt.
_________________
"Lindsay Hunter is starting to make Devean George look like John Stockton" - Bill Walton, Game 4 of the 2002 WCFs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 93735
Location: Do you believe in Magic?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Lowest Merion wrote:
“Hate filled eyes” is now the front runner for worst LG post of at least the year.


That’s my New location
_________________
We have LBJ.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 16 Nov 2015
Posts: 13763

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
RG73 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
Westbrook has single handedly diminished the career of Oscar Robertson. What once seemed to be an astonishing hallmark - averaging a triple double - now seems doable through trivial stat stuffing. Is there any doubt that that Jordan. Kobe and Lebron could average a triple double if they wanted to?


Yes, I very much doubt that Kobe could. Kobe never averaged more than 7 rebounds or 6 assists per game. He had a team where he had free reign to have as high a usage rate as WB. This isn't a knock on Kobe, but lets not imagine he could do things he couldn't. Like are we going to say that if he only wanted to focus on rebounding he could have put up a Rodman like 18 rpg average too? Kobe was what he was, just like WB is what he is.

Neither Kobe nor Jordan could've averaged a triple double. I think Jordan averaged 8 assists and rebounds one year, but there's a big difference between 8 and 10 per game. Both those guys were good, underrated passers, but not great passers.

I'm pretty sure Jordan had some crazy streak of triple doubles that one stretch he played point guard (the same year he averaged 32/8/8 or whatever it was). I wasn't even born so obviously I can't speak more to the stat sheet, but I'd think it's possible.

I doubt Kobe would've averaged a triple double. He's not close in rebounds, but at least you could argue with Westbrook type treatment he gets to 10. I don't see how he feasibly gets to 10. His career high was 6.
_________________
https://j.gifs.com/Rnqnbk.gif
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
MJST
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 16402

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
slavavov wrote:
RG73 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
Westbrook has single handedly diminished the career of Oscar Robertson. What once seemed to be an astonishing hallmark - averaging a triple double - now seems doable through trivial stat stuffing. Is there any doubt that that Jordan. Kobe and Lebron could average a triple double if they wanted to?


Yes, I very much doubt that Kobe could. Kobe never averaged more than 7 rebounds or 6 assists per game. He had a team where he had free reign to have as high a usage rate as WB. This isn't a knock on Kobe, but lets not imagine he could do things he couldn't. Like are we going to say that if he only wanted to focus on rebounding he could have put up a Rodman like 18 rpg average too? Kobe was what he was, just like WB is what he is.

Neither Kobe nor Jordan could've averaged a triple double. I think Jordan averaged 8 assists and rebounds one year, but there's a big difference between 8 and 10 per game. Both those guys were good, underrated passers, but not great passers.

I'm pretty sure Jordan had some crazy streak of triple doubles that one stretch he played point guard (the same year he averaged 32/8/8 or whatever it was). I wasn't even born so obviously I can't speak more to the stat sheet, but I'd think it's possible.

I doubt Kobe would've averaged a triple double. He's not close in rebounds, but at least you could argue with Westbrook type treatment he gets to 10. I don't see how he feasibly gets to 10. His career high was 6.


Yes, every star should get the "Westbrook treatment" next season, that way the other players that DO EVERYTHING on their team like Giannis and Anthony Davis can average Triple Doubles too right next to LeBron James.


Because it's so easy, all you have to do is let them get rebounds!!


While we're on that subject, how many players also averaged 10 assists a game this year?

I'll wait.

I guess everyone else's teammates need to give them the "Westbrook treatment" of intentionally making their shots too.


You'd have to go 58 players down to find the next Guard featured in the rebound category, which would be Dejounte Murray at 5.7. Unless you count Ben Simmons as a "Point guard".

Then it would be Westbrook at 10, Simmons at 18, and Murray at 58th.

But some of ya'll gonna sit here and act like "any superstar" could do it.

For the record, LeBron James in his entire career has never averaged 10 assists in a season. Ever. Nor 10 rebounds.

Nothing but hate at this point tbh. Appreciate greatness.
_________________
How NBA 2K18 failed the All-Time Lakers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxMBYm3wwxk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
chrisca91
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 06 Jan 2013
Posts: 2480

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject:

Special player
_________________
http://24.media.tumblr.com/a9010ad1ba1a2e2f28f8bd071fbadda1/tumblr_mgik2rkq8U1rk0uv7o1_r2_250.gif
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 20989

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject:

Lowest Merion wrote:
“Hate filled eyes” is now the front runner for worst LG post of at least the year.


Seriously? The BPM (Bad Post Metric) for that one isn't even in the top 100. It was a corny line, but come on. There are whole freaking threads that were worse than that post.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 May 2006
Posts: 12225

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Magic and LeBron have never averaged a Triple Double. Westbrook has done it two seasons in a row. If it was that easy as "oh the team just lets him." it would have been done by now. It hasn't been since Robertson. Westbrook's done it twice. Two seasons in a row. Stop hating on it and give credit to where it's due.


Magic and LeBron never played on teams that:

1) Gameplanned to get them extra rebound opportunities like OKC does for Westbrook off missed FT's

2) Allowed them to completely ignore perimeter defense and camp in the lane to chase boards

#2 is a clear detriment to winning, which Magic and LeBron have done plenty of.

You need a combo of an elite athlete that can accomplish it in a team setting that allows him to chase it on a nightly basis. The ability to do it is impressive but no one else is playing on a team that does the above to ensure a player can make history.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 82606
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Both Kobe and Jordan could have averaged a triple double if that was their mission, and their teams were built around that premise. Westbrook ends up with 3-4 cheap boards a night off missed free throws and other instances where he takes them from a teammate. And like harden, if those guys had been transitioned to PG they could get double figure assists. Wilt showed how you could do that if you wanted to.
_________________
Tolerance is an agreement to live in peace, not an agreement to be peaceful no matter the conduct of others. A peace treaty is not a suicide pact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 May 2006
Posts: 12225

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject:

Harden got to 8 boards a night last year. I have no doubts that Jordan or Kobe could have gotten to 10 in the right situation, similar to Westbrook. I can't see them ignoring D to camp out in the lane though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Lowest Merion
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 22 Jun 2010
Posts: 10720

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Lowest Merion wrote:
“Hate filled eyes” is now the front runner for worst LG post of at least the year.


Seriously? The BPM (Bad Post Metric) for that one isn't even in the top 100. It was a corny line, but come on. There are whole freaking threads that were worse than that post.


I stand by my conclusion, in spite of his BPM.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Oct 2001
Posts: 41395

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject:

Didn't the Rolling Stones do a song called "Hate Filled Eyes"?
_________________
Love, Laker Lanny
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 26656

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Westbrook averaging a triple double won't cause the Thunder to not win a chip. Those stats are a symptom.
Similar to Jordan's remarkable stats pre-Phil. Or Kobe before Phil came back the 2nd time. It's a coaching issue.
The thunder's net rating is 10 points higher when Westbrook is on the floor. Westbrook's off-court net rating is the lowest of any player on the team (by a large margin).



Without question, the Thunder are better with Westbrook on the floor. But that's not with we're talking about it -- it's about Westbrook's tendency to focus on particular stats (particularly rebounds) in order to achieve reach some statististical benchmark.

Kobe and MJ, in contrast, weren't focused on scoring stats in the period you mention; they simply believed they needed to shoot and score a lot for their teams to win. (That could part be a coaching issue, but it is also an issue of the talent around you.)

I don't believe Westbrook prioritizes rebounds because he thinks he needs to for the Thunder to win; he does it to go after triple doubles. His pursuit of individual stats is a goal outside the goal of helping the team win.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kikanga
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 17469
Location: La La Land

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Both Kobe and Jordan could have averaged a triple double if that was their mission, and their teams were built around that premise. Westbrook ends up with 3-4 cheap boards a night off missed free throws and other instances where he takes them from a teammate. And like harden, if those guys had been transitioned to PG they could get double figure assists. Wilt showed how you could do that if you wanted to.


I agree, other all-time great players could've averaged a triple double if that was their goal.

activeverb wrote:

I don't believe Westbrook prioritizes rebounds because he thinks he needs to for the Thunder to win; he does it to go after triple doubles. His pursuit of individual stats is a goal outside the goal of helping the team win.


Thunder Offensive Rating: 112.6

Thunder Offensive Rating after a Westbrook defensive rebound: 121.8

https://mobile.twitter.com/bballport/status/984806703832051712

I think him "stat-padding" rebounds is beneficial for his team.
_________________
"The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt" - Bertrand Russell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
VicXLakers
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 08 Feb 2006
Posts: 7978

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Both Kobe and Jordan could have averaged a triple double if that was their mission, and their teams were built around that premise. Westbrook ends up with 3-4 cheap boards a night off missed free throws and other instances where he takes them from a teammate. And like harden, if those guys had been transitioned to PG they could get double figure assists. Wilt showed how you could do that if you wanted to.


I agree, other all-time great players could've averaged a triple double if that was their goal.

activeverb wrote:

I don't believe Westbrook prioritizes rebounds because he thinks he needs to for the Thunder to win; he does it to go after triple doubles. His pursuit of individual stats is a goal outside the goal of helping the team win.


Thunder Offensive Rating: 112.6

Thunder Offensive Rating after a Westbrook defensive rebound: 121.8

https://mobile.twitter.com/bballport/status/984806703832051712

I think him "stat-padding" rebounds is beneficial for his team.



Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
MJST
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 16402

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Both Kobe and Jordan could have averaged a triple double if that was their mission, and their teams were built around that premise. Westbrook ends up with 3-4 cheap boards a night off missed free throws and other instances where he takes them from a teammate. And like harden, if those guys had been transitioned to PG they could get double figure assists. Wilt showed how you could do that if you wanted to.


I agree, other all-time great players could've averaged a triple double if that was their goal.

activeverb wrote:

I don't believe Westbrook prioritizes rebounds because he thinks he needs to for the Thunder to win; he does it to go after triple doubles. His pursuit of individual stats is a goal outside the goal of helping the team win.


Thunder Offensive Rating: 112.6

Thunder Offensive Rating after a Westbrook defensive rebound: 121.8

https://mobile.twitter.com/bballport/status/984806703832051712

I think him "stat-padding" rebounds is beneficial for his team.


People always like to complain about what a player does, but they don't like to talk about or think about how the team would perform if the player didn't do those things.

There is no "yeah but" when a player averages a triple double two seasons in a row and there's statistical evidence that proves him doing that is very beneficial to the team.

Just like there should have been no no "yeah but.." when Kobe scored 81. But the people that like to do that are always coincidentally the people that don't have that guy on their team.

If Westbrook was a Laker and averaged a triple double for 2 seasons in a row half the people that got something to say now would be radio silent when it came to attempting to take credit away from him.
_________________
How NBA 2K18 failed the All-Time Lakers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxMBYm3wwxk


Last edited by MJST on Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 02 Oct 2007
Posts: 1297

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject:

Major props to Westbrook.

People will criticize anything rather than appreciate.

Everyone here knows that if Kobe accomplished this in the 05 & 06 seasons (when we weren't contenders), people would bang on and on about what a great feat it was....lol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB