Westbrook needs 16 rebounds tonight to average a triple double for the season again
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
MJST
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 16402

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
Major props to Westbrook.

People will criticize anything rather than appreciate.

Everyone here knows that if Kobe accomplished this in the 05 & 06 seasons (when we weren't contenders), people would bang on and on about what a great feat it was....lol


Yep.

This whole "if that was their goal" mentality.

You could go "Kobe could have scored 100, if that was his goal." "Well Steph could score 81 if that was his goal." Remember all the Lakers fans that jumped on Steph Curry when he had his unanimous MVP season and people said it was better than Kobe's peak season?

Remember all the Lakers fans that jumped on Steph Curry or Warriors fans that claimed if Curry wanted to, he could beat Kobe's record? Remember the venom that was thrown towards Steph that season by Lakers fans in general the moment anything threatening Kobe came up?

Imagine if Westbrook averaged that Triple Double twice on the Lakers and all people wanted to say was "yeah Harden could do that if he wanted to, not impressed."

You got Lakers fans losing their collective minds whenever Ingram or Lonzo was CLOSE to a single Triple Double and hanging on till the last thread of each, and then they wanna walk around too cool for school when a player does it for two straight seasons.

And this "LeBron and James Harden could average a triple double if that was their goal." I don't think it's understood how difficult a feat he just accomplished.

In the NBA what it takes to average 20 points a game and average 24 points a game isn't just as simple as "oh just get two extra layups a night"

but that's how people like to make it sound.

But this whole "Well the greats could have if they wanted to."

Magic wanted to for two straight years, and didn't accomplish it. So why? But nobody wants to answer that nor talk about how difficult it actually is and would rather strawman it down to something so simplistic that any star could do it.

Yeah... right...
_________________
How NBA 2K18 failed the All-Time Lakers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxMBYm3wwxk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 26656

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Both Kobe and Jordan could have averaged a triple double if that was their mission, and their teams were built around that premise. Westbrook ends up with 3-4 cheap boards a night off missed free throws and other instances where he takes them from a teammate. And like harden, if those guys had been transitioned to PG they could get double figure assists. Wilt showed how you could do that if you wanted to.


I agree, other all-time great players could've averaged a triple double if that was their goal.

activeverb wrote:

I don't believe Westbrook prioritizes rebounds because he thinks he needs to for the Thunder to win; he does it to go after triple doubles. His pursuit of individual stats is a goal outside the goal of helping the team win.


Thunder Offensive Rating: 112.6

Thunder Offensive Rating after a Westbrook defensive rebound: 121.8

https://mobile.twitter.com/bballport/status/984806703832051712

I think him "stat-padding" rebounds is beneficial for his team.


I don't think the stat you cite is a great example. It doesn't surprise me that the team has a higher offensive rating when he gets offensive rebounds, since they disproportionately lead to layups. But most of his rebound padding is on defensive rebounds.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 20989

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Thunder Offensive Rating: 112.6

Thunder Offensive Rating after a Westbrook defensive rebound: 121.8

https://mobile.twitter.com/bballport/status/984806703832051712

I think him "stat-padding" rebounds is beneficial for his team.


If you read down the list of tweets, you'll see that the offensive rating was lower last year and that the poster admits that it was a small sample size.

Quote:
justin jovani
Replying to @bballport
this tool shows okc has a 108.5 offensive rating last season when westbrook gets a defensive rebound, which would be lower than their overall offensive rating last year. are you sure this year's data is correct? that would be a major swing.

Darryl Blackport
@bballport
It's a relatively small sample size, so there is going to be a lot of noise in there. They shot 29.3% on 3s last year and 41.9% this year after Westbrook's defensive rebounds.


I wouldn't read much into any of that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 20989

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Magic wanted to for two straight years, and didn't accomplish it. So why? But nobody wants to answer that nor talk about how difficult it actually is and would rather strawman it down to something so simplistic that any star could do it.


Sure, it's a difficult accomplishment, and sure, few other players in the history of the NBA could have done it. I won't take that away from Westbrook.

But was it really as valuable an achievement as it sounds? That's a different question. The whole concept of a triple double is an artificial construct based on the fact that human beings have ten fingers. Is 25/10/10 better than 30/9/9 or 22/15/8? Probably not. (I just picked those numbers at random. There's no hidden message there.)

When Oscar averaged a triple double, the term did not even exist. The term was created by the Lakers PR department in the 1980s. It has an attraction to the casual fan because it sounds really cool. This leads to stupidity like guys missing shots on purposes because they want one more rebound. And it leads to OKC letting Westbrook pick up cheap rebounds so he can pad his stats.

So now we have Westbrook making a farce of the whole thing. Is he really hurting anything by padding his stats? Not really. But is he really accomplishing anything? Not really, but I'm sure the OKC fans enjoy it. It's something for the media to talk about.

There's nothing wrong with saluting Westbrook for hitting an artificial target that fans like to talk about, but is he playing at some historically great level? No, he isn't. We live in an age of metrics. The metrics tell us that Westbrook was really good last year, and some metrics say he was the best player in the league (others did not). This year, the metrics say that he was in the top 5-10 players. Most importantly, the metrics really don't show him being much different from the way he was before he starting averaging a triple double.

The point is that averaging a triple double is cool, and it's a really hard thing to do, but by itself it is not much of a measure of effectiveness. As long as we keep it in perspective, it's fine with me to salute Westbrook for doing it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kikanga
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 17469
Location: La La Land

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Both Kobe and Jordan could have averaged a triple double if that was their mission, and their teams were built around that premise. Westbrook ends up with 3-4 cheap boards a night off missed free throws and other instances where he takes them from a teammate. And like harden, if those guys had been transitioned to PG they could get double figure assists. Wilt showed how you could do that if you wanted to.


I agree, other all-time great players could've averaged a triple double if that was their goal.

activeverb wrote:

I don't believe Westbrook prioritizes rebounds because he thinks he needs to for the Thunder to win; he does it to go after triple doubles. His pursuit of individual stats is a goal outside the goal of helping the team win.


Thunder Offensive Rating: 112.6

Thunder Offensive Rating after a Westbrook defensive rebound: 121.8

https://mobile.twitter.com/bballport/status/984806703832051712

I think him "stat-padding" rebounds is beneficial for his team.


I don't think the stat you cite is a great example. It doesn't surprise me that the team has a higher offensive rating when he gets offensive rebounds, since they disproportionately lead to layups. But most of his rebound padding is on defensive rebounds.


The stat is for defensive rebounds
_________________
"The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt" - Bertrand Russell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kikanga
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 17469
Location: La La Land

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Thunder Offensive Rating: 112.6

Thunder Offensive Rating after a Westbrook defensive rebound: 121.8

https://mobile.twitter.com/bballport/status/984806703832051712

I think him "stat-padding" rebounds is beneficial for his team.


If you read down the list of tweets, you'll see that the offensive rating was lower last year and that the poster admits that it was a small sample size.

Quote:
justin jovani
Replying to @bballport
this tool shows okc has a 108.5 offensive rating last season when westbrook gets a defensive rebound, which would be lower than their overall offensive rating last year. are you sure this year's data is correct? that would be a major swing.

Darryl Blackport
@bballport
It's a relatively small sample size, so there is going to be a lot of noise in there. They shot 29.3% on 3s last year and 41.9% this year after Westbrook's defensive rebounds.


I wouldn't read much into any of that.


656 defensive rebounds
over the course of the season is a sample size I'm comfortable with. Making/missing shots is a variable that affects practically every stat. Especially 3 pointers in the 2018 NBA.

Offensive rating is an interesting stat though. I prefer stats.nba.com's method for offensive, defensive, and net rating. How many points scored, scored against, scored - scored against per 100 possessions. Basketball reference uses a formula to calculate their ratings. I don't know which method was used for that stat.

But there is evidence that Russell's defensive rebounding helped the team this year. Is there evidence that proves otherwise? I haven't found any.

These stats are from stats.nba.com.
Thunder overall net rating for the season: 2.9
Thunder's net rating with WB on the court: 5.7
Thunder's net rating with WB off the court: -5.1 (worst on the team)
https://on.nba.com/2IYbPSh

I really don't see how WB averaging a triple double hurt them this season. Remember no formula was used for those stats. The stat is a self evident recording of points per 100 possessions.
_________________
"The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt" - Bertrand Russell


Last edited by kikanga on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kikanga
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 17469
Location: La La Land

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject:

I think the Westbrook hurts OKC argument is BS.

But an argument saying the team could be even better with him on the floor if he tweaked X, Y, or Z. That is an argument I get.
_________________
"The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt" - Bertrand Russell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 20989

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
656 defensive rebounds over the course of the season is a sample size I'm comfortable with. Making/missing shots is a variable that affects practically every stat. Especially 3 pointers in the 2018 NBA.


Eh. When we look at two seasons of data, the effect washes out. That’s a problem, unless you think his rebounds hurt the Thunder last season and then helped them this season. I don’t see the logic behind that.

My opinion is that the stat padding is harmless in and of itself. However, it’s a symptom of a larger problem with Westbrook. He’s a knucklehead who is all about himself.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kikanga
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 17469
Location: La La Land

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
kikanga wrote:
656 defensive rebounds over the course of the season is a sample size I'm comfortable with. Making/missing shots is a variable that affects practically every stat. Especially 3 pointers in the 2018 NBA.


Eh. When we look at two seasons of data, the effect washes out. That’s a problem, unless you think his rebounds hurt the Thunder last season and then helped them this season. I don’t see the logic behind that.


It would make sense that his defensive rebounds would have different outcomes offensively based on his teammates. The roster is different this year. So a different result isn't surprising.

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

My opinion is that the stat padding is harmless in and of itself. However, it’s a symptom of a larger problem with Westbrook. He’s a knucklehead who is all about himself.


A knucklehead whose team outscores their opponents twice as much with him on the floor compared to their average. And whose team is a sub .500 squad with him off the floor.
_________________
"The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt" - Bertrand Russell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 9200

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

A knucklehead whose team outscores their opponents twice as much with him on the floor compared to their average. And whose team is a sub .500 squad with him off the floor.


Aside from what you guys are arguing, a team with S.Adams, Melo, PG13... similar to DeAndre, Blake, Lou... should be expected to be at least 0.500. Maybe the coach is the wrong coach (beside PG13 being in the wrong team)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kikanga
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 17469
Location: La La Land

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
kikanga wrote:

A knucklehead whose team outscores their opponents twice as much with him on the floor compared to their average. And whose team is a sub .500 squad with him off the floor.


Aside from what you guys are arguing, a team with S.Adams, Melo, PG13... similar to DeAndre, Blake, Lou... should be expected to be at least 0.500. Maybe the coach is the wrong coach (beside PG13 being in the wrong team)


NOPE! Definitely Westbrook's fault.

Jokes aside. Billy D gets a pass from me just because he did beat the Spurs (and arguably outcoached Pop) two playoffs ago.

But if they underachieve this playoffs, I'll be looking his direction when it comes to the blame game.
_________________
"The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt" - Bertrand Russell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 128003
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Both Kobe and Jordan could have averaged a triple double if that was their mission, and their teams were built around that premise. Westbrook ends up with 3-4 cheap boards a night off missed free throws and other instances where he takes them from a teammate. And like harden, if those guys had been transitioned to PG they could get double figure assists. Wilt showed how you could do that if you wanted to.


I agree, other all-time great players could've averaged a triple double if that was their goal.

activeverb wrote:

I don't believe Westbrook prioritizes rebounds because he thinks he needs to for the Thunder to win; he does it to go after triple doubles. His pursuit of individual stats is a goal outside the goal of helping the team win.


Thunder Offensive Rating: 112.6

Thunder Offensive Rating after a Westbrook defensive rebound: 121.8

https://mobile.twitter.com/bballport/status/984806703832051712

I think him "stat-padding" rebounds is beneficial for his team.


I don't think the stat you cite is a great example. It doesn't surprise me that the team has a higher offensive rating when he gets offensive rebounds, since they disproportionately lead to layups. But most of his rebound padding is on defensive rebounds.


The stat was after defensive rebounds
_________________
It’s a girl, my lord, in a flat bed Ford.......
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 26656

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Both Kobe and Jordan could have averaged a triple double if that was their mission, and their teams were built around that premise. Westbrook ends up with 3-4 cheap boards a night off missed free throws and other instances where he takes them from a teammate. And like harden, if those guys had been transitioned to PG they could get double figure assists. Wilt showed how you could do that if you wanted to.


I agree, other all-time great players could've averaged a triple double if that was their goal.

activeverb wrote:

I don't believe Westbrook prioritizes rebounds because he thinks he needs to for the Thunder to win; he does it to go after triple doubles. His pursuit of individual stats is a goal outside the goal of helping the team win.


Thunder Offensive Rating: 112.6

Thunder Offensive Rating after a Westbrook defensive rebound: 121.8

https://mobile.twitter.com/bballport/status/984806703832051712

I think him "stat-padding" rebounds is beneficial for his team.


I don't think the stat you cite is a great example. It doesn't surprise me that the team has a higher offensive rating when he gets offensive rebounds, since they disproportionately lead to layups. But most of his rebound padding is on defensive rebounds.


The stat was after defensive rebounds


I stand corrected. Bottom line: I don't find it a compelling statistical analysis.

Anyway, the triple-double is a fun, impressive feat, but not as significant as people make it out (as Hunter said, it's mostly because human beings like nice round numbers, which is why the 100th anniversary of something seems more important to us than the 101th anniversary).

If you think WB's triple double is cool, it's cool with me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 37218

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject:

Lebron has been stat padding for years (even during the NBA Finals). No one cares. Russell removed the mystique of the triple double and, in the process, Oscar’s legacy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 82606
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
kikanga wrote:
656 defensive rebounds over the course of the season is a sample size I'm comfortable with. Making/missing shots is a variable that affects practically every stat. Especially 3 pointers in the 2018 NBA.


Eh. When we look at two seasons of data, the effect washes out. That’s a problem, unless you think his rebounds hurt the Thunder last season and then helped them this season. I don’t see the logic behind that.


It would make sense that his defensive rebounds would have different outcomes offensively based on his teammates. The roster is different this year. So a different result isn't surprising.

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

My opinion is that the stat padding is harmless in and of itself. However, it’s a symptom of a larger problem with Westbrook. He’s a knucklehead who is all about himself.


A knucklehead whose team outscores their opponents twice as much with him on the floor compared to their average. And whose team is a sub .500 squad with him off the floor.


But who is on the floor when he’s off, and how does his number compare with the guys he plays most with? There’s a lot of needed context, and there’s also the argument that he’s of course better than replacement lineups and even contributes positively toward winning, but not as much as his huge numbers indicate he would. Or that he would if he played differently.
_________________
Tolerance is an agreement to live in peace, not an agreement to be peaceful no matter the conduct of others. A peace treaty is not a suicide pact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 22 Nov 2004
Posts: 25658

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
Westbrook has single handedly diminished the career of Oscar Robertson. What once seemed to be an astonishing hallmark - averaging a triple double - now seems doable through trivial stat stuffing. Is there any doubt that that Jordan. Kobe and Lebron could average a triple double if they wanted to?


Magic could have easily done that too if he wanted. But he valued winning and sharing the ball


Dude stop.

Magic tried. He admitted he tried. But he fell short, and he gave Robertson props for his accomplishment In his sophomore and third seasons Magic tried to average a triple double. He came close in 81-82 where he fell 0.4 Rebounds and 0.5 Assists short.

He said he talked to Oscar after and said he had no idea how tough his accomplishment was, till he(Magic) tried it.


So don't try to come with the "Magic could have if he wanted to but was too unselfish." to try to diminish what Westbrook did and build up the 'ease' Magic could have done it.

Magic tried. He fell short. Westbrook did it two seasons in a row. Give credit where it's due instead of trying to find excuses why it didn't happen for players you like.

That's like the Skip Bayless take where he said MJ would never help up an opposing player, and then someone linked a video of Jordan helping a Piston to their feet


But it seems you're trying to convince yourself that Paul George is gonna go "Wow Westbrook averaged a Triple Double in his 2nd straight season..... omg so selfish! Ima go to the Lakers!!"

Paul George has already expressed his admiration for it, and said it shows how bad Westbrook wants to win and how people don't seem to understand that.

If George left, it wouldn't be because Westbrook just accomplished something historic that no other NBA player has before.


a lot of people love to talk out of their asses... what Westbrook did was historic. and I agree with him, if you are lazy going for the rebound, then just get out of his way. if you miss a bunny layup, you deserve to be called out.

I love guys like Westbrook, works hard, makes use of his athleticism. He's not lazy, he's fast, and he plays both ends of the floor.
_________________
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 22 Nov 2004
Posts: 25658

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Lowest Merion wrote:
“Hate filled eyes” is now the front runner for worst LG post of at least the year.


That’s my New location


fits the bill.
_________________
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 22 Nov 2004
Posts: 25658

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Both Kobe and Jordan could have averaged a triple double if that was their mission, and their teams were built around that premise. Westbrook ends up with 3-4 cheap boards a night off missed free throws and other instances where he takes them from a teammate. And like harden, if those guys had been transitioned to PG they could get double figure assists. Wilt showed how you could do that if you wanted to.


LOL.

props for making a triple-double look awful. I mean, if you were the coach, your players need to avoid getting a triple double like a plague.

the bitterness in this thread towards Westbrook is laughable.
_________________
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kikanga
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 17469
Location: La La Land

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
But who is on the floor when he’s off, and how does his number compare with the guys he plays most with? There’s a lot of needed context,


https://on.nba.com/2IYbPSh
Thunder overall net rating for the season: 2.9
Net Ratings On/Off Court
On/Off for WB: 5.7 (2914 min)/ -5.1 (1052 min) (off court net rating worst on team)
On/Off for Adams: 4.9(2487 min) / -0.5 (1479 min)
On/Off for George: 3.0 (2891 min) / 2.9 (1075 min)
On/Off for Melo: 4.0 (2501 min) / 1.0 (1465 min)

https://on.nba.com/2qyOjo3
Some lineup data. Net ratings for lineups that have played over 20 minutes.
Top 9 lineups all have Westbrook in it.
Bottom 3 (130 min, 99 min, 68 min) all don't have WB it. But 3 out of the bottom 8 do (bringing it up so you don't think I'm cherry picking).

The bolded stats aren't misleading and can't be understated IMO.
And the vast majority of stats I've seen on OKC point to WB lifting the rest of the roster (with his style of play) and not the other way around (his team lifting WB despite his style of play).

Omar Little wrote:

and there’s also the argument that he’s of course better than replacement lineups and even contributes positively toward winning, but not as much as his huge numbers indicate he would.

I don't know how to prove that right or wrong.

Omar Little wrote:

Or that he would if he played differently.

That's a fair hypothetical. And a good discussion to have. On Westbrook and other all-time great NBA players.
_________________
"The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt" - Bertrand Russell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 20989

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
kikanga wrote:

A knucklehead whose team outscores their opponents twice as much with him on the floor compared to their average. And whose team is a sub .500 squad with him off the floor.


Aside from what you guys are arguing, a team with S.Adams, Melo, PG13... similar to DeAndre, Blake, Lou... should be expected to be at least 0.500. Maybe the coach is the wrong coach (beside PG13 being in the wrong team)


On/off stats are misleading because they don’t account for rotations and game situations. The implicit assumption is that all of those guys were on the floor when Westbrook wasn’t, and vice versa. Of course, that’s not true. If anything, the stat shows that OKC had a depth problem, but we already knew that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 20989

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
But who is on the floor when he’s off, and how does his number compare with the guys he plays most with? There’s a lot of needed context, and there’s also the argument that he’s of course better than replacement lineups and even contributes positively toward winning, but not as much as his huge numbers indicate he would. Or that he would if he played differently.


That’s why RPM is a better stat than on/off. Westbrook was eighth in the league in ORPM. That’s very good, but not legendary.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 82606
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Both Kobe and Jordan could have averaged a triple double if that was their mission, and their teams were built around that premise. Westbrook ends up with 3-4 cheap boards a night off missed free throws and other instances where he takes them from a teammate. And like harden, if those guys had been transitioned to PG they could get double figure assists. Wilt showed how you could do that if you wanted to.


LOL.

props for making a triple-double look awful. I mean, if you were the coach, your players need to avoid getting a triple double like a plague.

the bitterness in this thread towards Westbrook is laughable.


A triple double isn’t awful, and it tends to be extremely rare as an average not because it is bad, but because it doesn’t tend to fit play styles. The three stays involved are always points, rebounds, and assists, because those are the only three that people average double figures in. And bigs tend to not have the opportunity for double figure assists and smalls tend to not get the rebounds. Hence why the guys who tend to get closest are large playmakers. It even there, in the modern game there just aren’t that many boards for such a player to be had, hence the need to pad them.

Fwiw, padding rebounds is not really my complaint with Westbrook. It is his propensity to play iverson ball, dominating it too much, and especially down the stretch of games.
_________________
Tolerance is an agreement to live in peace, not an agreement to be peaceful no matter the conduct of others. A peace treaty is not a suicide pact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 22 Nov 2004
Posts: 25658

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Drifts wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Both Kobe and Jordan could have averaged a triple double if that was their mission, and their teams were built around that premise. Westbrook ends up with 3-4 cheap boards a night off missed free throws and other instances where he takes them from a teammate. And like harden, if those guys had been transitioned to PG they could get double figure assists. Wilt showed how you could do that if you wanted to.


LOL.

props for making a triple-double look awful. I mean, if you were the coach, your players need to avoid getting a triple double like a plague.

the bitterness in this thread towards Westbrook is laughable.


A triple double isn’t awful, and it tends to be extremely rare as an average not because it is bad, but because it doesn’t tend to fit play styles. The three stays involved are always points, rebounds, and assists, because those are the only three that people average double figures in. And bigs tend to not have the opportunity for double figure assists and smalls tend to not get the rebounds. Hence why the guys who tend to get closest are large playmakers. It even there, in the modern game there just aren’t that many boards for such a player to be had, hence the need to pad them.

Fwiw, padding rebounds is not really my complaint with Westbrook. It is his propensity to play iverson ball, dominating it too much, and especially down the stretch of games.


so Westbrook averages a triple-double for 2 consecutive seasons, and the first thing you can think of is... "his propensity to play iverson ball.."

I mean, I am just lost for words with how incongruous that is.
_________________
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 82606
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Drifts wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Both Kobe and Jordan could have averaged a triple double if that was their mission, and their teams were built around that premise. Westbrook ends up with 3-4 cheap boards a night off missed free throws and other instances where he takes them from a teammate. And like harden, if those guys had been transitioned to PG they could get double figure assists. Wilt showed how you could do that if you wanted to.


LOL.

props for making a triple-double look awful. I mean, if you were the coach, your players need to avoid getting a triple double like a plague.

the bitterness in this thread towards Westbrook is laughable.


A triple double isn’t awful, and it tends to be extremely rare as an average not because it is bad, but because it doesn’t tend to fit play styles. The three stays involved are always points, rebounds, and assists, because those are the only three that people average double figures in. And bigs tend to not have the opportunity for double figure assists and smalls tend to not get the rebounds. Hence why the guys who tend to get closest are large playmakers. It even there, in the modern game there just aren’t that many boards for such a player to be had, hence the need to pad them.

Fwiw, padding rebounds is not really my complaint with Westbrook. It is his propensity to play iverson ball, dominating it too much, and especially down the stretch of games.


so Westbrook averages a triple-double for 2 consecutive seasons, and the first thing you can think of is... "his propensity to play iverson ball.."

I mean, I am just lost for words with how incongruous that is.


In fairness, you are never at a loss for words, but unfortunately, the same may not be true or effectively ascertaining the meaning of the words of others. In this case, it is two points:

1. He stat pads, and the team aids him in it to get him the triple double, so it isn’t as meaningful to me as it is to you.

2. I don’t consider his style of play (which has a lot of statistical value) to be as valuable toward winning titles as accumulating stats, and toward team play as his own aggrandizement. Your mileage may vary.
_________________
Tolerance is an agreement to live in peace, not an agreement to be peaceful no matter the conduct of others. A peace treaty is not a suicide pact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 93735
Location: Do you believe in Magic?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Lowest Merion wrote:
“Hate filled eyes” is now the front runner for worst LG post of at least the year.


That’s my New location


fits the bill.


This is cute coming from a poster who thought Okafor was the next great NBA player and spent every minute of their LG time, with "hate filled eyes" towards another player.
_________________
We have LBJ.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB