Kupchak is apperantly amazed by a "new great" Euro big man
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eldrunko714
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject:

JD wrote:
So let me get this straight...

When the Lakers aren't looking at/drafting Euro's... Mitch is an idiot.

When the Lakers are looking at/drafting Euro's... Mitch is an idiot.

Yeah, yeah... I know. You think Mitch is an idiot, all the time... because 90% of you could do a much better job.

:roll:

No 90% of us probably can't do much better but we probably couldn't do much worse :roll:
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Kupchak is apperantly amazed by a "new great" Euro big man

msb212 wrote:

mitch is in Los Angeles. has been all week. Quit whining.

Not that anyone would care to read this, because they mostly seem to have more fun pissing and moaning.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject:

JD wrote:
62 wrote:
Quote:
90% of you could do a much better job.

Yep.

And that's why you're employed by a NBA team, as a GM... right?

so we can't call mitch out if we think he is doing a bad job? just because he has the title of "GM"? there are plenty of people in this world who have high job titles(GM, President, etc) that dont deserve(in some ppl's POV) the job. could i do a better job than Mitch? I don't know, but it doesn't mean I'm giving Mitch a free pass.
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject:

62 wrote:
Whatever. Mitch should be on the phone, talking trades. Not in Europe watching talented youngsters.

I mean, we do have international scouts, don't we?

Mitch, your job is more than ever...TO TRADE!!!!!

If you read the article before running your mouth you will see that Rudy T is the one checking him out. Mitch is not there. Mitch is here. That is why he has been at every Laker game.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:
He consistently picks the among the worst possible players at the position he drafts at

He also apart from the Andrew Bynum pick has always picked in the low 20's.

And all his 1st round picks have made in the NBA or atleast proven NBA calibar players.

While guys who have been picked in the 1st round (even as high as 13-17) are struggling to make it or not even in the NBA.

Dumars gems

'03 2nd overall Milicic over Bosh, Wade and Anthony
'01 9th overall White over Joe Johnson, Jefferson, Murphy and Randolph.
'00 14th overall Cleaves over Mason, Richardson and Magloire.

All of the players he passed over were picked within 5-7 picks after his

So if a good GM like him has so many draft screw ups, I guess you think arm-chair GM's can do better than him too, eh?

wolf, correct me if im wrong, but didnt lionel say that Mitch wanted may? and that bynum was jim's pick.
Divac12_NoviBeograd
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Luke wrote:
Isn't Vlade our international scout ?

Yes he is. He resides in Madrid mainly and I am sure he makes plenty of scouting trips to other countries including his homeland Serbia & Montenegro. However, I am unsure how welcome he would feel if he was to visit Croatia. If nothing else he would have a harder time blending in, and to take the games in without distractions and do his job properly. Btw, that youngster's hometown Dubrovnik, is one of the most beautiful cities I've visited.

Since a few people here need a reminder, hindsight is the best draft expert.
Bradyda-LeSueur
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Kupchak is apperantly amazed by a "new great" Euro big man

62 wrote:
Ante Tomic

http://nbadraft.net/profiles/antetomic.asp

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=257#

Apperantly, Kupchak's all over the guy.

http://www.vecernji-list.hr/newsroom/sports/basketball/481621/index.do

From what I can tell, we have a great GM. He's enjoying his vacation on the adriatic coast while scouting future LOTTERY prospects.

Make the damn trade, Kupchak. No vacations. No scouting

You lost me at Euro Guy...so far the only successful Euro guy we have is Sasha and he just became good in my eyes this year...so even in that case it isn't really good...so like he just needs to stop now...no trade, no play-offs, and another eruo guy...time to give him the boot...MITCH YOU ARE DONE...SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Alpha

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject:

JD wrote:

Yeah, yeah... I know. You think Mitch is an idiot, all the time... because 90% of you could do a much better job.

That is exactly what I was thinking... all I could hear playing back in my head what all the griping about Mitch not picking Jaric, Tony Parker, Manu, Dirk, Peja, Hedo, etc... how the Lakers were so behind in NOT scouting the Euros.. blah, blah, blah... to read the original post is almost comical.

btw, thanks msb for chiming in ... funny how when people grumble they can hold their ground like they're on skates.
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject:

7-2, 237? Guy is thin as hell then.
Divac12_NoviBeograd
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Laker_in_Tulsa wrote:
62 wrote:
Whatever. Mitch should be on the phone, talking trades. Not in Europe watching talented youngsters.

I mean, we do have international scouts, don't we?

Mitch, your job is more than ever...TO TRADE!!!!!

If you read the article before running your mouth you will see that Rudy T is the one checking him out. Mitch is not there. Mitch is here. That is why he has been at every Laker game.

If you're talking about this article......

http://www.vecernji-list.hr/newsroom/sports/basketball/481621/index.do

you're wrong. The article looks to have been published on Feb 12. Mitch was there, the only mention of Rudy was Mitch's comments at the end. He said he spoke to Rudy about his Croatian heritage (his parents). He was sad to hear Rudy was leaving due to health reasons but he is happy he stayed with the organization as a NBA scout.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Woah woah woah....is this guy's name A. Tomic? Is this a joke or something?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:
He consistently picks the among the worst possible players at the position he drafts at

He also apart from the Andrew Bynum pick has always picked in the low 20's.

Mitch didn't pick Bynum, Jim Buss did.

Quote:
And all his 1st round picks have made in the NBA or atleast proven NBA calibar players.

Negative. Sasha and Luke would have a difficult time staying in the NBA if they were on any other team. If Mitch had drafted NBA caliber players we'd be in decent shape right now.

Quote:
While guys who have been picked in the 1st round (even as high as 13-17) are struggling to make it or not even in the NBA.

Ok, but that is relevant to us how? I don't care what other teams did.

Quote:
Dumars gems

'03 2nd overall Milicic over Bosh, Wade and Anthony
'01 9th overall White over Joe Johnson, Jefferson, Murphy and Randolph.
'00 14th overall Cleaves over Mason, Richardson and Magloire.

All of the players he passed over were picked within 5-7 picks after his

So if a good GM like him has so many draft screw ups, I guess you think arm-chair GM's can do better than him too, eh?

Again, I don't care about other GMs.

But to address your point, Dumars is a poor drafter, no argument there. Jerry West wasn't very good either in the latter part of his career. Both of them, however, are excellent at making deals. You can't argue that Dumars doesn't know how to put a team together.

If you're going to be lousy at the draft, then you'd best be an excellent deal maker. If you're a lousy deal maker, then you'd best be a shrewd drafter.

But the argument here isn't what other GMs do or don't do. The argument is whether or not a monkey can do a better job at drafting than Mitch. I suspect the answer is yes. If you happen to like non-athletic matadors who shoot 35% from the field, then I guess you think Mitch has done an excellent job in the draft.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Why are we getting all bent out of shape about this now? Supposedly last draft Mitch and the Lakers were tied to Fran Vasquez, the other skinny rail from Europe that fell to the second round, and Gerald Green. I wouldn't put too much stock in this news bit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Mitch didn't pick Bynum, Jim Buss did.

Yet all his previous bad moves are blamed on him. All previous picks not of your liking are on him.

The double standard :roll: .

Answer me this.

Who was the GM when Bynum was drafted?

Not that it even was a Bynum issue. I was refering to him not having any high positioning in the draft until this past year.

Quote:
Negative. Sasha and Luke would have a difficult time staying in the NBA if they were on any other team. If Mitch had drafted NBA caliber players we'd be in decent shape right now.

Luke is a 2nd rounder (85% of them don't make it in the NBA)

Sasha was the 3rd or 4th last pick in the 1st round. And he's still on his rookie K so time will tell.

I was refering to Kareem Rush and Brian Cook. Both have in their third or fourth season proven that they can play in the NBA. While he's not drafted any steals, he's also not drafted any guys that don't make it in the NBA in the 1st round.

Quote:
Ok, but that is relevant to us how? I don't care what other teams did

Because it shows NOONE is perfect.

Quote:
Again, I don't care about other GMs.

But to address your point, Dumars is a poor drafter, no argument there. Jerry West wasn't very good either in the latter part of his career. Both of them, however, are excellent at making deals. You can't argue that Dumars doesn't know how to put a team together.

If you're going to be lousy at the draft, then you'd best be an excellent deal maker. If you're a lousy deal maker, then you'd best be a shrewd drafter.

But the argument here isn't what other GMs do or don't do. The argument is whether or not a monkey can do a better job at drafting than Mitch. I suspect the answer is yes. If you happen to like non-athletic matadors who shoot 35% from the field, then I guess you think Mitch has done an excellent job in the draft.

Never said excellent job.

Adequate considering the needs of Phil Jackson and Shaq. Now it's a different era and I expect different types of picks.
topramen78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject:

On this board, all good picks are any person except Mitch.

All bad picks are purely Mitch doing it at against the wish of all other team members, players, management, and fans.

When we were winning in 2001, no one complained about Mitch. When we won in 2002 no one complained about Mitch. When peopel did complain about Mitch, it was because we were getting too many veteran players and not building for the future. Now, we don't have enough veteran players.

Mitch was the same bad/good GM as in 2001 ... but no one was complaining during game 4 of the NBA finals. Weird. He's suddenly bad.

No one was whining about Mitch when we were on the 5/6 game winning streak. When we lose Mitch blows. When we win Mitch rules.

Funny how these same very posters call out bandwagon fans who only don Laker gear when they're winning. You are all the same.
drew4lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject:

JD wrote:

Right on. My thoughts exactly when i started readingthis thread.

if he was just sitting in his office on the phone, he wouldn't be doing his job. I may not like cell phones, but they have their uses.
NoHarmNoFoul
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject:

JD wrote:

Exactly

Who will you aim your irrational anger at then?"
-PopcornMachine
topramen78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject:

I don't think people realize ... how little other teams want to help the Lakers. Unless they're getting the better end of the deal (i.e. Jumaine Jones for 2nd round pick) when the Lakers are just needing to clear cap space and/or payroll, who wants to be the team that helped restore glory to the LA Laker franchise?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Just be glad that Mitch Kupchak is aware of the guy and not completely ignorant when it comes to international names.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject:

I'm not worried about center, but it doesn't hurt to have another 7'2" guy around.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:03 am    Post subject:

statistics: http://goodyear.adriaticbasket.com/igraci.php?id=575

KristianH wrote:
Tomic must gain some weight, if he want to play serious basketball. He is defensively exposed because of his awfuly weak body.

KristianH wrote:
Mitch Kupchak was in Zagreb to see a game againts Partizan...

Ante Tomić: 13 mins, 1-1 fg, 4-4 ft, 6 pts, 3 rebs, 1 stl, 1 to, 1 blk, 5 fouls (against Partizan)
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject:

Bynum has the size to play center in the NBA already. That is amazing for an 18 year old. Tomić is having a more normal progression, but 7'2" 237# is a good size for someone 19 years old.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject:

I'm seriously sick of those skinny Euros.

Mitch needs to make the trade NOW.
He needs to think about Kobe and his prime, not some guys that will peak in 5-6 years.

Mitch, you have the best player in the NBA... Surround him with talent and watch him win games!!!
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:22 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
JD wrote:

JD have a look through the forums over the years. Many armchair GMs have picked better than Mitch. That isn't really a debatable issue--pick the year in question, go to the draft threads and I'm sure that >50% of the fans were calling for a player that Mitch could have drafted, didn't draft, and then went on to be better than the guy Mitch did draft.

So yeah, Mitch is an idiot. His draft record speaks for itself. So excuse us if we are skeptical that he knows talent. Left to his own devices we'd have Sean May this season instead of Bynum. In fact I'm pretty sure that if one programmed a computer to draft at random it would do a better job than Mitch does. He consistently picks the among the worst possible players at the position he drafts at.

This is what is called a selective memory.

--Anonymous
40ptmachine
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:18 am    Post subject:

62 wrote:
Quote:
This is probably a second round pick prospect.

Not really. Dude's going to be a top 3 pick. Amazing talent.

Just like Lamar or Kwame ?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: