Does Malinka have a better way of doing it?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Does Malinka have a better way of doing it?

Last year the Lakers brought in a ton of guys for multiple workouts and were able to develop solid report cards on a wide variety of potential picks who would be available to them when they picked. It was apparent they made great choices. I don't expect a star at #25,, but if they do a lot of workouts again this year, should we expect another Kuzma/Hart type of solid player, or was that a once in a lifetime find?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject:

Same scouting department?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject:

Every player is different.
Scouting department is the same.

They'll do the best they can do with the information the get/acquire, which is all anyone can ask.

But outside of Lonzo, Hart, Kuzma, even Bryant played WAYYYYYY above expectation.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Different players to evaluate. All teams see them. Does Malinka have a keen eye for players that may be undervalued?

No matter who is scouting, the talent isn't always as obvious to some, which is why Kuzma and Hart were available. Also, the quality may not be there.

I hope their method proves successful again.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Different players to evaluate. All teams see them. Does Malinka have a keen eye for players that may be undervalued?

No matter who is scouting, the talent isn't always as obvious to some, which is why Kuzma and Hart were available. Also, the quality may not be there.

I hope their method proves successful again.

Can't control that.

But there's no reason why the same method shouldn't work again.

LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject:

The scouting department got a Hart quality player at 46 in JC, so it's not once in a lifetime. It's about figuring out what will/won't translate in the NBA and taking the BPA at your pick, or recognizing someone dropping farther than they should and going out to grab a pick to get them.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

They'll do the best they can do with the information the get/acquire, which is all anyone can ask.

But outside of Lonzo, Hart, Kuzma, even Bryant played WAYYYYYY above expectation.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Lakers bring in a lot more guys to evaluate last year than they normally would? I realize they had 4 picks, but even then, they brought guys back a 2nd time, to be really sure. We're all happy with the results so I'm glad took it seriously. I don't know how many they used to do, but I don't recall the same effort being put into finding the right guy.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
The scouting department got a Hart quality player at 46 in JC, so it's not once in a lifetime. It's about figuring out what will/won't translate in the NBA and taking the BPA at your pick, or recognizing someone dropping farther than they should and going out to grab a pick to get them.
Some praised the team for finding Nance who was a good player. We hear about guys like Draymond and Butler plucked late in the draft, but I don't recall 2 high quality players going to the same team in one draft after other teams undervalued them.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Lakers bring in a lot more guys to evaluate last year than they normally would? I realize they had 4 picks, but even then, they brought guys back a 2nd time, to be really sure. We're all happy with the results so I'm glad took it seriously. I don't know how many they used to do, but I don't recall the same effort being put into finding the right guy.

Nothing wrong with being thorough. But considering 4 picks, you need to look at least 30-40 guys.

I'd even argue they should bring at least 30 guys this time around too.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

And they have been solid for 3-4 years.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Does Malinka have a better way of doing it?

lakersboy wrote:
Last year the Lakers brought in a ton of guys for multiple workouts and were able to develop solid report cards on a wide variety of potential picks who would be available to them when they picked. It was apparent they made great choices. I don't expect a star at #25,, but if they do a lot of workouts again this year, should we expect another Kuzma/Hart type of solid player, or was that a once in a lifetime find?
its not a once in a lifetime find because isnt that where Gilbert Arenas(pre injuries) was found? 2nd round.

Same for Ginobili 2nd rounder.

There are always ballers there. But you need to have two things going. 1. they have to want it themselves not just have the talent. kuzma has the fire and desire. so did gino, so did gilbert.

ballers are in the draft all over the place. but you have to hope theirs a skilled player with the right mentality just needing your team with your coaches and players to gel and get to his full potential.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

the same effort wasnt normally put into finding the "right" guy because the lakers were winning so much and so often with veterans they didnt need to find diamonds in the rough that wouldnt get any real PT because their are a bunch of solid vets in front of said player.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Does Malinka have a better way of doing it?

lakersboy wrote:

Both Kuz and Hart had great rookie seasons, but I wouldn't rate either a once-in-a-lifetime find. ( that's really only something you can determine in retrospect after you see how their careers play out; a lot of the once-in-a-lifetime finds in draft history didn't seem like once in a lifetime finds after their rookie season.)

That said, the Lakers had an excellent draft last year. Even the best drafters don't hit home runs ( or even singles) every year, especially when it comes to second round picks in late first round picks. It will take a few years at least to determine if the front office genuinely has a knack for finding gems in the draft or if they just had a especially good drafting year in 2017
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject:

I think scouting is a lot like poker.

If you play the best hand in the best way, you’ll win a lot of the time, but there’s still an element of luck.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Scouting department is the same. As long as Jesse Buss and Ryan West are in charge of it I'll trust their judgement.
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject:

No one bats 100% when it comes to the draft, even Jerry West got his share of the Frankie Kings of the world when it comes to drafting.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Lakers bring in a lot more guys to evaluate last year than they normally would?

they made claims that they were, but I think the numbers were actually very similar to recent years....if i recall, someone had posted the FO actually brought in more guys in the DLo, Nance, Brown draft than we did last season.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:
Some praised the team for finding Nance who was a good player. We hear about guys like Draymond and Butler plucked late in the draft, but I don't recall 2 high quality players going to the same team in one draft after other teams undervalued them.

There are certainly instances of teams getting two good players low in the first round and beyond. In fact the Lakers have done it twice

66 Lakers - John Blockat 27, Archie Clark at 27 (both all-stars)
73 Sixers -- McGinness at 22, Caldwell Jones at 33, Harvey Catchings at 138
77 Lakers -- Norm Nixon at 22, James Edwards at 46
86 Blazers - Sabonis at 24, Petrovich at 60
87 Celtics -- Reggie Lewis at 22 (only 23 teams then); Brad Lohuas at 45
08 Spurs -- George Hill at 26, Goran Dragic at 45
11 Bulls -- Jimmy Butler at 33, Norris Coles at 28
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:

There are certainly instances of teams getting two good players low in the first round and beyond. In fact the Lakers have done it twice

Only the Lakers can end up with 2 All-Stars at the same draft position.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
activeverb wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:

Ha! Quite a few teams have drafted two guys who became all-stars; they just weren't that low.

I think the Celtics are the only team to draft two Hall of Famers in the same year -- they did it twice.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
activeverb wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:

Ha! Quite a few teams have drafted two guys who became all-stars; they just weren't that low.

I think the Celtics are the only team to draft two Hall of Famers in the same year -- they did it twice.

he is referring to both players being taken at 27.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject:

Lakerz113 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
activeverb wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:

he is referring to both players being taken at 27.

Ah, typo.

The all-time rookie class for a single team has to be the 86-87 Cavs:

Brad Daughtery, Hot Rod Williams, Johnny Neywman, Ron Harper and Mark Price were all rookies.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject:

If Kuzma makes all star next year, the scouts deserve a raise. I mean like a big raise...triple their salaries. However, they have had their fair share of blunders...DLo and JR? Lakers haven't had an all-star since Kobe retired. Ingram, two years running haven't made all star. Lonzo is still tbd but one thing is for certain his jumpshot is ugly af.
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject:

Donovan Mitchell would have improved this squad.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject:

#JustDoItLA
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: