Lonzo Ball, Kyle Kuzma ruled out for 2018 NBA Summer League
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 10557

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
Too bad, I think ZO could use the work, although he would probably get injured...


This is preposterous!! Zo needs to improve his shot and conditioning but that guy already knows how to run a pro NBA team better than more than half of the guys already in the pros running NBA teams. He doesn't need to go practice running PG with a team of mostly scrubs.

It would be a huge waste of time.


It's not that crazy. He has a million holes in his game that he needs to work on this summer. Practicing against scrubs would be a good place to start. But I agree that he's an injury waiting to happen and it's probably not worth the risk.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Dec 2009
Posts: 4385

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Breaking: Lakers fans ruled out from attending Summer League.


It will be interesting. I've been going to summer league since 2003, and last year was insane. The crowds, media coverage, it really became an event. Will be interesting to see how much of that was Lonzo. I think it became a legitimate event last year and will be sold out again, especially with the stacked rookie class.


Right. I've been going not quite as long as you lol.. but Lakers fans ALWAYS make their presence felt out there. It's damn near home court advantage for the Lakers out there lol.
_________________
My 2018 Draft Wishlist: Chandler Hutchison. Troy Brown.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Dec 2009
Posts: 4385

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject:

oldlakerfan wrote:
So who will our Summer league stars be?

Zubac
Bryant
Hart
Caruso
Wear
1st and 2nd round draft picks

That has the makings of a pretty good team.


Bring back Matt Thomas and I'll be fine lol.
_________________
My 2018 Draft Wishlist: Chandler Hutchison. Troy Brown.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 26 Dec 2012
Posts: 31982

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject:

ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Breaking: Lakers fans ruled out from attending Summer League.


It will be interesting. I've been going to summer league since 2003, and last year was insane. The crowds, media coverage, it really became an event. Will be interesting to see how much of that was Lonzo. I think it became a legitimate event last year and will be sold out again, especially with the stacked rookie class.


Right. I've been going not quite as long as you lol.. but Lakers fans ALWAYS make their presence felt out there. It's damn near home court advantage for the Lakers out there lol.


It will be the same every year until further notice!!
_________________
www.trendydeckpost.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 26136
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject:

oldlakerfan wrote:
So who will our Summer league stars be?

Zubac
Bryant
Hart
Caruso
Wear
1st and 2nd round draft picks

That has the makings of a pretty good team.


I doubt Zubac is at SL....most guys on contract only show up for 2 years.
_________________
"To arrive at a contradiction is to confess an error in one's thinking; to maintain a contradiction is to abdicate one's mind and to evict oneself from the realm of reality." Ayn Rand
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Dec 2009
Posts: 4385

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject:

It was crazy. Last year us fans definitely took it up a notch. The crowd was so loud for the few games I went to - it definitely didnt translate to TV (I still have the games from last year on my DVR man that team was fun to watch)
_________________
My 2018 Draft Wishlist: Chandler Hutchison. Troy Brown.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 04 Oct 2016
Posts: 749

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Wino wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
Too bad, I think ZO could use the work, although he would probably get injured...


This is preposterous!! Zo needs to improve his shot and conditioning but that guy already knows how to run a pro NBA team better than more than half of the guys already in the pros running NBA teams. He doesn't need to go practice running PG with a team of mostly scrubs.

It would be a huge waste of time.


It's not that crazy. He has a million holes in his game that he needs to work on this summer. Practicing against scrubs would be a good place to start. But I agree that he's an injury waiting to happen and it's probably not worth the risk.


A million holes? If he shot (47, 40 & 70) and finished at the rim like Hart, then he would have been in the All-Star/ROY conversation. His holes are strength and confidence and he should be able to fix that by training camp.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 10557

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject:

scooterp10 wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
Wino wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
Too bad, I think ZO could use the work, although he would probably get injured...


This is preposterous!! Zo needs to improve his shot and conditioning but that guy already knows how to run a pro NBA team better than more than half of the guys already in the pros running NBA teams. He doesn't need to go practice running PG with a team of mostly scrubs.

It would be a huge waste of time.


It's not that crazy. He has a million holes in his game that he needs to work on this summer. Practicing against scrubs would be a good place to start. But I agree that he's an injury waiting to happen and it's probably not worth the risk.


A million holes? If he shot (47, 40 & 70) and finished at the rim like Hart, then he would have been in the All-Star/ROY conversation. His holes are strength and confidence and he should be able to fix that by training camp.


I didn't mention anything about percentages, but you just proved my point because he wasn't anywhere near those averages.

Just going off what Magic said: (1) He needs to improve his 3, (2) develop a midrange shot, (3) a floater in the paint, (4) finishing at the rim, and (5) free throws. That's a lot for a 20 year old to work on in one summer. He essentially just listed every possible way for a player to score. It's almost comical, really. It's like saying "learn how to make a basket in the NBA". Most lottery picks show at least one of those scoring skills their rookie season. Lonzo was pretty bad in every one of those categories.

I'd add shooting from the right side of the floor and ballhandling as well, but Magic's list was good enough for one summer. I wouldn't mind if he just played SPL with a scorer's mindset. I know that's not in his DNA but it would be good practice against scrubs. One game just try scoring in the paint. Next game from midrange. Next game, coming off screens on the perimeter, etc etc. He has so much he needs to work on.

The FO said this would be the most important offseason of his life. They really meant it. He needs to get to work, not only on his body but skills training.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 26 Dec 2012
Posts: 31982

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject:

The Los Angeles Lakers standout rookies are going to transverse different paths in training and basketball participation this offseason.


https://lakeshowlife.com/2018/04/15/los-angeles-lakers-lonzo-ball-kyle-kuzma-will-not-to-play-in-summer-league/
_________________
www.trendydeckpost.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
NBALakerLegends
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 06 Aug 2007
Posts: 702

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject:

Zo and Kuz definitely do not need to play summer league. They already accomplished pretty much everything they needed to do in summer league last year. They graduated at the top of their class. Hart still needs more reps and minutes as a focal point. He barely played the first half of the year.

Summer league doesn’t fix all holes in a player’s game. Reps and weight room plus proper body development are just as important for an underdeveloped body.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
TheKing23
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 27 Jun 2014
Posts: 191

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject:

I feel like Zo shortchanged us this season missing a lot of games for little injuries He needs to play to earn his salary
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 19 Apr 2003
Posts: 18425
Location: La Jolla, San Diego

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject:

Why can't you work on weights, etc. and also play in the summer league? BS answer. Being together on the court getting reps and developing chemistry is just as important as hiding from possible injuries. It's basketball man. It don't matter if you baby them like you did this year. Did it do any good? Just because you avoid summer league games or preseason games doesn't mean you won't sprain your ankle in game 1 in November.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 20 Jul 2006
Posts: 7425
Location: Left coast

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:50 am    Post subject:

Earvin micromanages some players. Ball is missing out on the opportunity to shoot 50 times a game to learn to be an aggressive scorer like Byron Scott did in summer league after his first season. Otoh, the hate for Zo runs deep in competition and the last thing the Lakers need is some guy making a name for himself while trying to manhandle Zo, causing unnecessary injury.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 Aug 2016
Posts: 3017

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Lakers should invite LiAngeli to play in the SL


It could happen because he will definitely be available (No one else wants the LaVar headache). Maglinka has experience in that respect.

He also would make a decent bench role player in the G-League.
The UCLA Heath Center would sellout almost every game.


**Lakers scout spotted at Lithuanian basketball game, LiAngelo Ball a possible target

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2018/4/12/17231590/la-lakers-2018-nba-draft-rumors-liangelo-ball-lithuania
and there it is. or...not. what if they were scouting that other kid thats pretty darn good on their team. i think he was the coaches son. the real coach not lavar. that would probably drive lavar nuts and gelo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 Aug 2016
Posts: 3017

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
Earvin micromanages some players. Ball is missing out on the opportunity to shoot 50 times a game to learn to be an aggressive scorer like Byron Scott did in summer league after his first season. Otoh, the hate for Zo runs deep in competition and the last thing the Lakers need is some guy making a name for himself while trying to manhandle Zo, causing unnecessary injury.
what people are not realizing is the way zo played in the summer league, same with kuz, said more than enough. you dont have to showcase anything else at THIS level.

unlike randle, BI, JC. they needed to come back and dominate the SPL and show their new found skills. we dont need zo hitting 3's on spl talent. we need him doing that vs real nba guys. they already won the entire thing last year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Jun 2005
Posts: 1457
Location: London

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
Wino wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
Too bad, I think ZO could use the work, although he would probably get injured...


This is preposterous!! Zo needs to improve his shot and conditioning but that guy already knows how to run a pro NBA team better than more than half of the guys already in the pros running NBA teams. He doesn't need to go practice running PG with a team of mostly scrubs.

It would be a huge waste of time.


It's not that crazy. He has a million holes in his game that he needs to work on this summer. Practicing against scrubs would be a good place to start. But I agree that he's an injury waiting to happen and it's probably not worth the risk.


A million holes? If he shot (47, 40 & 70) and finished at the rim like Hart, then he would have been in the All-Star/ROY conversation. His holes are strength and confidence and he should be able to fix that by training camp.


I didn't mention anything about percentages, but you just proved my point because he wasn't anywhere near those averages.

Just going off what Magic said: (1) He needs to improve his 3, (2) develop a midrange shot, (3) a floater in the paint, (4) finishing at the rim, and (5) free throws. That's a lot for a 20 year old to work on in one summer. He essentially just listed every possible way for a player to score. It's almost comical, really. It's like saying "learn how to make a basket in the NBA". Most lottery picks show at least one of those scoring skills their rookie season. Lonzo was pretty bad in every one of those categories.

I'd add shooting from the right side of the floor and ballhandling as well, but Magic's list was good enough for one summer. I wouldn't mind if he just played SPL with a scorer's mindset. I know that's not in his DNA but it would be good practice against scrubs. One game just try scoring in the paint. Next game from midrange. Next game, coming off screens on the perimeter, etc etc. He has so much he needs to work on.

The FO said this would be the most important offseason of his life. They really meant it. He needs to get to work, not only on his body but skills training.


Besides finishing at the rim, which is probably related to his current strength level + learning to play the angles, the rest are to be done through repetition, repetition and more repetition. Perfect place for that is on the practice court not actual games.

Lonzo shot reasonably well against SL competition last year and he shot reasonably well when he first came back before nba defenses adjusted to him. The only way I think Lonzo improves, is that he has to have fixed spots on the floor and release from those positions all day. If he is missing because someone is putting a hand in his face before his release, SL competition is not going to cut it. The SL defences would not close out on him fast enough. Could Magic pull in a favour from World Peace and get him to guard Lonzo in practices during the summer. Training against Peace - even at his advance age - would help Lonzo a lot more than a bunch of summer league games.

ETA: Because of the amount of space/time Lonzo needs to release his weird shot, he needs to compensate by shooting at a greater distance than what an average nba player would be on the floor when releasing a similar type of shot (mid range 3 point etc). At least, that's what I remember him doing in College. Given this and assuming we don't want to change his form because of the risk of wreaking his shooting completely, should he even be concentrating on the 3 pointer? Maybe he should just be one of those rare players with a mid range game and that's it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 Aug 2016
Posts: 3017

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject:

Vanquish wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
Wino wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
Too bad, I think ZO could use the work, although he would probably get injured...


This is preposterous!! Zo needs to improve his shot and conditioning but that guy already knows how to run a pro NBA team better than more than half of the guys already in the pros running NBA teams. He doesn't need to go practice running PG with a team of mostly scrubs.

It would be a huge waste of time.


It's not that crazy. He has a million holes in his game that he needs to work on this summer. Practicing against scrubs would be a good place to start. But I agree that he's an injury waiting to happen and it's probably not worth the risk.


A million holes? If he shot (47, 40 & 70) and finished at the rim like Hart, then he would have been in the All-Star/ROY conversation. His holes are strength and confidence and he should be able to fix that by training camp.


I didn't mention anything about percentages, but you just proved my point because he wasn't anywhere near those averages.

Just going off what Magic said: (1) He needs to improve his 3, (2) develop a midrange shot, (3) a floater in the paint, (4) finishing at the rim, and (5) free throws. That's a lot for a 20 year old to work on in one summer. He essentially just listed every possible way for a player to score. It's almost comical, really. It's like saying "learn how to make a basket in the NBA". Most lottery picks show at least one of those scoring skills their rookie season. Lonzo was pretty bad in every one of those categories.

I'd add shooting from the right side of the floor and ballhandling as well, but Magic's list was good enough for one summer. I wouldn't mind if he just played SPL with a scorer's mindset. I know that's not in his DNA but it would be good practice against scrubs. One game just try scoring in the paint. Next game from midrange. Next game, coming off screens on the perimeter, etc etc. He has so much he needs to work on.

The FO said this would be the most important offseason of his life. They really meant it. He needs to get to work, not only on his body but skills training.


Besides finishing at the rim, which is probably related to his current strength level + learning to play the angles, the rest are to be done through repetition, repetition and more repetition. Perfect place for that is on the practice court not actual games.

Lonzo shot reasonably well against SL competition last year and he shot reasonably well when he first came back before nba defenses adjusted to him. The only way I think Lonzo improves, is that he has to have fixed spots on the floor and release from those positions all day. If he is missing because someone is putting a hand in his face before his release, SL competition is not going to cut it. The SL defences would not close out on him fast enough. Could Magic pull in a favour from World Peace and get him to guard Lonzo in practices during the summer. Training against Peace - even at his advance age - would help Lonzo a lot more than a bunch of summer league games.

ETA: Because of the amount of space/time Lonzo needs to release his weird shot, he needs to compensate by shooting at a greater distance than what an average nba player would be on the floor when releasing a similar type of shot (mid range 3 point etc). At least, that's what I remember him doing in College. Given this and assuming we don't want to change his form because of the risk of wreaking his shooting completely, should he even be concentrating on the 3 pointer? Maybe he should just be one of those rare players with a mid range game and that's it.

the bolded is false. zo has a quick enough release with the ugly form to get it off with defenders on him. thats not the problem. he needs to get the reps in like you said. reps meaning 700-1000 makes a day. the kobe system. i said MAKES. not attempts. MAKES.

something that extreme will force a level of consistency that zo has never seen before. shooting that much is enough to get you out of a shooting slump during the middle of the season. because you've practiced so much on your shot to the point where you already know how to re-adjust your shot or re-calibrate it to go in if you start missing a lot all of a sudden. because you shot so many shots in practice to get to the point of making 700-1000 per day. its muscle memory and mental memory.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB