OFFICIAL GOLF THREAD: BREAKING - OMAR GETS AN ACE!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 31, 32, 33  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject:

What bugs the hell out of me, when honors are disrespected. I want my damn honors.

I remember once deliberately waiting for a friend who constantly disrespected the honor rule to get into his downswing. I shouted, WHAT DA HELL ARE YOU DOING!!! He actually fluffed his shot. Hit the ball about six feet.

When he went to pick it up we all insisted he hit it like it lay. From then on he respected honors.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Felt bad for Tommy today. He had an epic run on the final day and was inches away from history and a couple of strokes away from being in it at the end.

The look on his face as he turned in his scorecard for only the 6th 63 in Open history said it all . . . "But I wanted 62 . . ."

Congrats to Brooks though. He knew exactly what he had to do and said so . . . and delivered.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject:

The USGA definitely relented today, as the pin placements were much more reasonable today. It also looked like the greens were a little slower, most likely because they probably watered the ish out of them. Congrats to Koepka for back-to-back U.S. Open titles, as he had the mettle to make a great bogey save and then a great par save on back-to-back holes that was probably the difference.

Oh, and I agree 100% with AH about the U.S. Open being my least favorite of the 4 majors. It's not even close, for me. I hate the way the USGA handles the courses.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:35 pm    Post subject:

Nice to know that we're getting Kawhi, too.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject:

DMR, I'm probably a step behind you in terms of skill/consistency, but I did play the round of my life yesterday. I was even with a trio of really good golfers yesterday for a good part of the morning. I crapped the bed on one hole which I couldn't make up, but overall, I was playing so solidly yesterday that I'm dying to get out again.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

Oh, and I agree 100% with AH about the U.S. Open being my least favorite of the 4 majors. It's not even close, for me. I hate the way the USGA handles the courses.

Hard to go nuts over constant 8-10 foot par putts.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
DMR, I'm probably a step behind you in terms of skill/consistency, but I did play the round of my life yesterday. I was even with a trio of really good golfers yesterday for a good part of the morning. I crapped the bed on one hole which I couldn't make up, but overall, I was playing so solidly yesterday that I'm dying to get out again.

Awesome! Feels great doesn't it?

I've actually found that when I am playing with a group of much better golfers who are friendly and supportive, it can really help. When I play with my buddies, there's a sense of competition. I play to try and outscore them and thus I put pressure on myself to make shots. But when I play with a random group of people who are much better than me, I'm just playing for fun and since there's no point in attempting to match up with them and I relax and hit better. I played a front 9 at twilight the other evening under those conditions and was 7 strokes better than I have ever hit on those holes thanks to 4 pars on the 9 holes.

I'm playing tomorrow and am totally looking forward to it like a kid on Xmas Eve.

Keep swinging and have have fun!
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject:

Been playing a lot more than usual lately, probably about 4 rounds a week at the moment. Got myself some new irons too, handicap has dropped to around 6-7, was shooting around 15 over at the start of the year, but only playing a couple of times a month with my dad's old clubs

Still getting destroyed out there by my younger bro and his friend and his dad though, it's hard work when you play as well as ever and still finish last.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Haven't played for awhile. I do remember when I shot low, broke 70 I came off the course very tired. When shot high not so tired. Just goes to prove how much a drain concentration is. Golf is a game so much more mental than physical it's amazing.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
Been playing a lot more than usual lately, probably about 4 rounds a week at the moment. Got myself some new irons too, handicap has dropped to around 6-7, was shooting around 15 over at the start of the year, but only playing a couple of times a month with my dad's old clubs

Still getting destroyed out there by my younger bro and his friend and his dad though, it's hard work when you play as well as ever and still finish last.

Even a 15 is good golf, a 6 or 7 (in my opinion) is great golf!

You wouldn't be finishing last in my group, ha ha!
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject:

Moses wrote:

Man, that's great, I'm glad that I can sometimes manage 3 rounds in a week.

Quote:

I know the feeling. It's still fun though right?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Definitely having fun out there, all 3 of my usual team are really good players so I learn a lot from them and they give me a lot of advice, which helps on the course.

My letdown has been the driver, I used to hit a 3 wood off tee instead. Have improved and can hit the driver well consistently now. Think I have played 12 times this month already, am playing for the next 4 days consecutively too

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject:

I'm in the market for some new clubs. I started looking at Callaway and TaylorMade primarily.

One surprise was when I hit a bucket with Cobra's F8 one-length irons. Man, my swing was so consistent that I'm actually tempted to buy them. I even got some better distance than I normally do.

Typically, my game suffers with the longer clubs. I'm not sure what it is. Bigger arc? I don't know but it drives me mental. Then I started reading about deChambeau and how he hits with one-length clubs. It made me curious. Sure enough, they seem to work for me although I'm judging from a limited sample size.

Anyone use them?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
I'm in the market for some new clubs. I started looking at Callaway and TaylorMade primarily.

One surprise was when I hit a bucket with Cobra's F8 one-length irons. Man, my swing was so consistent that I'm actually tempted to buy them. I even got some better distance than I normally do.

Typically, my game suffers with the longer clubs. I'm not sure what it is. Bigger arc? I don't know but it drives me mental. Then I started reading about deChambeau and how he hits with one-length clubs. It made me curious. Sure enough, they seem to work for me although I'm judging from a limited sample size.

Anyone use them?

I haven't tried those. But I did go in and hit the new M4 "Twistface" driver and am tempted to spring for one. My drives were far more consistently straight. It didn't do anything for distance, but if my drives are in the fairway more often than the rough, I'm good with the upgrade from my M2.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject:

I plan on upgrading soon. Still playing my Cleveland TA 5’s from almost two decades ago. Like the idea of one length.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject:

UPDATE: The one-length is working well with clubs 5-9 but the wedges feel a little long. Not so long that you can't choke up an inch, but they're a little longer than the customary set.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject:

The Ryder Cup is going to be nuts.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
UPDATE: The one-length is working well with clubs 5-9 but the wedges feel a little long. Not so long that you can't choke up an inch, but they're a little longer than the customary set.

That’s the whole idea. Every club is the length of a seven iron.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Heartburn wrote:

Right. I'm just saying it requires adjustment.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Heartburn wrote:

Right. I'm just saying it requires adjustment.

Yeah, the other end of the spectrum is that your 5 and 6 irons are going to probably not hit as far.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject:

Don't like the idea of one length clubs, especially when it gets less than the 7.

I'd hate to add length to a wedge, they tend to be my best clubs too.

I don't really tend to use anything longer than a 7 iron to be honest. If it's further than I can use a 7 for, I have 2 hybrid clubs I prefer to a 5 iron, and I can hit them well.

Can't wait for the Ryder Cup, but think USA will win easily.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject:

Hmm, I haven't seen any loss in distance with the 5-6 irons. That could be attributed to my hitting the ball more squarely so I'm getting more out of the club than I did before.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
Hmm, I haven't seen any loss in distance with the 5-6 irons. That could be attributed to my hitting the ball more squarely so I'm getting more out of the club than I did before.

Yeah, that's the thing you're going to get out of one length, more consistency, because you're putting the ball in the same spot and swinging what feels like the same club every time. But longer shaft equals more distance, so you are sacrificing length on squarely hit shots vs regular length. Seems like a good set for a high handicapper who isn't going to play much, but as you improve, you're going to want a graduated set IMO.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Woods' Ryder Cup record dropped to 13-20-3 and 9-16-1 in team matches.

Mickelson (another questionable captains pick) is now 18-21-7 lifetime and obviously completely out of form.

Furyk has done a poor job, just like he did missing 1 foot putts in the Ryder Cup as a player.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Woods' Ryder Cup record dropped to 13-20-3 and 9-16-1 in team matches.

Mickelson (another questionable captains pick) is now 18-21-7 lifetime and obviously completely out of form.

Furyk has done a poor job, just like he did missing 1 foot putts in the Ryder Cup as a player.

Tiger is actually now 9-19-1 in team matches in the Ryder Cup, from what I read, and 13-20-3 overall (4-1-2 in singles). He's fine on his own ball, not so good when he has a teammate. Although I will say that Reed was playing terrible in their 2 matches that I saw. I didn't see his afternoon match with DeChambeau, but I see that they got slaughtered.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 2 of 33
Jump to: