OFFICIAL GOLF THREAD: BREAKING - OMAR GETS AN ACE!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:18 pm    Post subject:

https://thegolfnewsnet.com/golfnewsnetteam/2018/09/09/why-the-pga-tour-wont-usually-play-on-tuesday-to-finish-a-tournament-monday-110746/

Not sure if this is helpful or not. I couldn't find anything here about what you asked specifically, though I believe that you can't have a cut until 36 holes are played.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:12 am    Post subject:

The article says a tournament must have 56 holes to be official but doesn't break down minimum for each round. I assume an 18 hols opening and 36 hole weekend would meet the minimum?

Tiger is in an awesome group tomorrow with him, Rory McEllroy and Justin Thomas. Can't wait to watch that. They tee off at 8:32 so should have time to finish 18 before the rain.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:28 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
The article says a tournament must have 56 holes to be official but doesn't break down minimum for each round. I assume an 18 hols opening and 36 hole weekend would meet the minimum?

Tiger is in an awesome group tomorrow with him, Rory McEllroy and Justin Thomas. Can't wait to watch that. They tee off at 8:32 so should have time to finish 18 before the rain.

I just don't think they can narrow the field down (the cut) until 36 holes have been completed.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:53 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

I just don't think they can narrow the field down (the cut) until 36 holes have been completed.

Okay, makes sense. I'm trying to anticipate whether or not they will play on Monday. Some seem to think the field will be able to finish 36 holes tomorrow, but with 3-4 hours of rain I am doubtful.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:20 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Okay, makes sense. I'm trying to anticipate whether or not they will play on Monday. Some seem to think the field will be able to finish 36 holes tomorrow, but with 3-4 hours of rain I am doubtful.

I haven't looked at weather reports, but I do know that they would much prefer to get 72 holes in, even if that means you go until Monday, rather than shorten a tournament to 54 holes just to get it in by Sunday. What they don't really want to do, as that link I provided details, is to finish on a Tuesday.

I remember a tournament from at least a couple of years ago where they got 54 holes in, and there were a few guys tied for the lead. Then a downpour happened on Sunday and they couldn't get any golf in at all. In fact, the course basically became flooded. On Monday, it was only drizzling, but the course was still so flooded that there was no way they could get the field out there to play a normal round of golf, or to get 18 more holes in for everyone. So they decided to declare the tournament a 54-hole event, and have a sudden death playoff to determine the winner. They went out to the shortest par-3 on the course, and a crew worked on the green, getting all the standing water off of it, for about an hour or so. They did the same to get the tee box playable. You could see how flooded the grass was from the tee to the green, but they just kept playing that one hole until someone won. I don't remember the year, which tournament it was, or who won, but I distinctly remember that this happened. I tried to google it but came up empty.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:13 pm    Post subject:

Really great day of golf. I followed Tiger's group (or should I say Thomas' group) for 30 holes. Thomas was incredible. A double bogey after hitting a tree and bouncing short followed by overshooting the green on 12, and a bogey after hitting a tree on 13 and losing his ball, yet still managed to end up tied for the lead.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject:

Love watching match play golf. And when it's Rory versus Tiger in single elimination, even more exciting!
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject:

Tiger in QFs
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Tiger Woods is under par following the first round of a major championship for the first time in five years.

He's also on the leaderboard at the Masters.

Woods broke par on the opening day at Augusta National for just the ninth time in 22 starts, shooting a 2-under-par 70 that left him in a tie for 11th, four shots back of leaders Bryson DeChambeau and Brooks Koepka.

Three of his four victories -- 1997, 2001 and 2002 -- came after opening the tournament with a 70.

I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Quote:
Tiger Woods is under par following the first round of a major championship for the first time in five years.

He's also on the leaderboard at the Masters.

Woods broke par on the opening day at Augusta National for just the ninth time in 22 starts, shooting a 2-under-par 70 that left him in a tie for 11th, four shots back of leaders Bryson DeChambeau and Brooks Koepka.

Three of his four victories -- 1997, 2001 and 2002 -- came after opening the tournament with a 70.

And he could easily be even higher on it if not for a couple of miscues today.

Fun day of golf today.

DeChambeau's near ace at 16 was awesome.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject:

Love seeing Phil at 5 under. The way he's driving it, he can be a legit threat. Obviously, he's very comfortable on the course.

You have to like Tiger being 2 under, as he usually gets off to miserable or indifferent starts in majors.

But if Koepka is going to continue this type of play, it may not matter for anyone. He seems to be locked in whenever it's a major. Dude is nails.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Love seeing Phil at 5 under. The way he's driving it, he can be a legit threat. Obviously, he's very comfortable on the course.

You have to like Tiger being 2 under, as he usually gets off to miserable or indifferent starts in majors.

But if Koepka is going to continue this type of play, it may not matter for anyone. He seems to be locked in whenever it's a major. Dude is nails.

I'm so pumped to see what transpires tomorrow. Lots of great driving today, but the ability to put up a number is going to come down to the quality of the shots that are determined by a couple of yards.

I anticipate that there will be a significant shift in the leaderboard tomorrow. That's not to say that all the leaders will fall off as much as it is to say that there are guys who didn't get off to a great start who will make a move.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject:

Tiger heads to the weekend just one shot off the lead. And he's missed several short putts already. He's ranked dead last in the field in putting from inside of 5 feet. Conversely, he is ranked 1st in putting from outside of 20 feet.

It's a fantastic leaderboard. Phil is lurking, also. I know what I'll be watching this weekend.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject:

That was really exciting yesterday, Tiger has great control of his golf ball right now which is so important at Augusta.

Really hoping he can keep it going, it would be fantastic to see him in contention late Sunday.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
That was really exciting yesterday, Tiger has great control of his golf ball right now which is so important at Augusta.

Really hoping he can keep it going, it would be fantastic to see him in contention late Sunday.

Tiger put two solid and consistent rounds together in the first two days. I think the confidence is there to stay in contention. If his putting gets more dialed in, he'll stay in striking distance and then on Sunday he's gotta be a favorite.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Tiger put two solid and consistent rounds together in the first two days. I think the confidence is there to stay in contention. If his putting gets more dialed in, he'll stay in striking distance and then on Sunday he's gotta be a favorite.

That would be interesting to see. In his prime Tiger was rarely a come from behind on the final day guy. He was a never relinquish a lead on the final day guy.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

That would be interesting to see. In his prime Tiger was rarely a come from behind on the final day guy. He was a never relinquish a lead on the final day guy.

Currently one stroke back. Not exactly a huge number to "come from behind". If he plays like he has been on the first two days, I see him staying right in that area, if not taking a lead.

But yeas, If he finds himself back at 4 strokes behind to start tomorrow, he's going to have problems gaining it back.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject:

Tiger of old would be up at least 2 strokes maybe more. He's missed some 6 8 footers old Tiger would have made.

Rule change in 2019. Hitting the flag on a ball played from the green was a 2 stroke penalty. There will no longer be a penalty if a ball played from the putting green hits a flagstick left in the hole. Do you like the flag in or out when you putt? I notice some golfers putting with the flag in. When I last played it was a penalty. I'd have a playing partner hold the flag for better sighting on long putts. He'd pull it once I struck the golf ball.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Sunday’s final round at the Masters will have an odd look and untraditional schedule

LINK
Quote:

n a rare and dramatic departure from tradition, the final round of the Masters will start on Sunday at 7:30 a.m. with the players going off split tees in groups of three. The tournament made the change to try to avoid severe thunderstorms that are expected late in the afternoon in Augusta on Sunday.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject:

Should get some windy weather, and I'm expecting worse scores tomorrow. So excited to see what happens. Koepka is 3 back and burned the edge on putts on each of the final 3 holes. I wouldn't count him out. Molinari just doesn't make bogeys and he seems to make every putt from inside of 8 feet. He'll be tough to catch. Finau likes the course and now has a healthy ankle; he still finished in the top 10 last year after that ugly looking ankle injury. I thought Tiger hit the ball really well today, hitting some lasers right at the pins. I'm hoping he can pull it off. Then there are guys like Dustin Johnson who have the ability to put up a 64-65 and post a score and see if the weather might affect the leaders coming in.

I'll be getting up early to watch. Can't wait.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Should get some windy weather, and I'm expecting worse scores tomorrow. So excited to see what happens. Koepka is 3 back and burned the edge on putts on each of the final 3 holes. I wouldn't count him out. Molinari just doesn't make bogeys and he seems to make every putt from inside of 8 feet. He'll be tough to catch. Finau likes the course and now has a healthy ankle; he still finished in the top 10 last year after that ugly looking ankle injury. I thought Tiger hit the ball really well today, hitting some lasers right at the pins. I'm hoping he can pull it off. Then there are guys like Dustin Johnson who have the ability to put up a 64-65 and post a score and see if the weather might affect the leaders coming in.

7:30am est. That means I have to set the clock for 4:30am. Tiger has to break the norm and come from behind to win this.

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

7:30am est. That means I have to set the clock for 4:30am. Tiger has to break the norm and come from behind to win this.

Tiger teeing off at 9 20 Eastern Time, 6 20 Pacific Time

I am hoping he gets off to a great start and gets a share of the lead but Molinari seems to be a machine.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I am hoping he gets off to a great start and gets a share of the lead but Molinari seems to be a machine.

Yeah I'm not going to get up until the final group tees off. Molinari won at Carnoustie and I wonder if bad weather would actually favor him even more, and he's already the one with the 2-stroke lead.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
jodeke wrote:

If you have a favorite set your clock. Working 1 and 9 is going to be a task for the director. I wonder if they're going to split screen?

2019 MASTERS TEE TIMES, PAIRINGS FOR SUNDAY AT AUGUSTA NATIONAL GOLF CLUB

LINK

Quote:
9:20 AM: Francesco Molinari, Tony Finau, Tiger Woods

9:20 AM*: Trevor Immelman, Alexander Noren

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

Today was a blast to watch. Between Finau's round, Molinari's continued excellence and Tiger's nipping at their heals it was exciting stuff.

Very pumped for tomorrow. I just hope that the weather doesn't overly influence things. The way the top guys have played, they deserve to see things resolved by how the ball rolls on the quality of their shots and not by the whims of Mother Nature.

One thing for sure, the putting game is going to be key. Between the undulations of Augusta and the moisture slowing the greens, it's going to take skill to get the ball to the hole without coming out too short or missing breaks in the middle of the putt.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 4 of 33
Jump to: