OFFICIAL Season in Review
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you rate the season?
Extremely pleased (A)
11%
 11%  [ 13 ]
Pleased (B)
65%
 65%  [ 77 ]
Not happy, but not displeased (C)
21%
 21%  [ 25 ]
Displeased (D)
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Bring back Jim Buss; this team was a failure (F)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 117

waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: My thoughts on the 2017-2018 season

The last two seasons have shown great promise, as we move from pitiful lottery team, to being a 33 win team - which might have made a run at 40 wins, if we had stayed healthy. We are of course, not there yet, will miss the playoffs once again, but maybe for the first time since Kobe blew out his Achilles, we are headed in the right direction.

Ownership and management With Jeannie firmly at the helm, we have seen much less of the self destructive publications of family squabbles, and this has been a steadying presence for the organization. Magic and team have made some missteps with saying too much about future plans, and there is no guarantee that the cap space created will yield a Lebron or PG13, but they have done much to create the opportunity. Now they just have to sell it real hard this offseason, but they have done their job remarkably well.

Coaching You had to know that the learning curve was going to be steep, Luke did not inherit a 50 win team or even a all-star caliber player. He has had to learn how to adapt and create a culture change without the benefit of early success or star players. The two players I think he has had the greatest influence on this year were Randle and Kuzma. Luke I think plays the bad cop when he teaches them, but is good cop when talking about them to the public/press. Both players seemed to need the "tough love" approach, they have responded very well so Luke deserves a lot of the credit for the team's improvement.

The veteran players One way to look at it is Lopez and KCP pretty much each won 4 games a piece for the team, and that is about our margin of improvement in win total. But the outgoing DLO, Clarkson, Nance, Brewer, Mozgov probably lost us as many games. The two big pieces we got for 1 year contracts basically did their job and helped guide the younglings while still trying to play. Deng was a 1 game $18 million dollar welfare check, I'll be glad when he is gone, this year or next. IT gave us a positive presence, I only wished he could have stayed healthy, and that might have netted us another few wins. Chandler, thanks for playing, I wonder if he retires now.

The young fellows So many young players the last couple of years, and now they are getting experienced enough to play at the NBA level. Ball plays way above his years, just needs to fix his shooting woes. Hart came on at the end of the year, and he looks like he can easily replace KCP next year. BI made great strides in his second year. Kuzma was a revelation, probably the single smartest thing the organization has done since either the Gasol trade or the moves that got us Shaq and Kobe. Kuzma is that good, looks to be the first of the Laker young players who will make an all-star game as a player. Randle improved the most of any Laker, in ways I didn't think he would be able to do for another 3-4 years. If Randle can ever shoot further from the basket than he can pee, he will be a star.

The deep bench Zubac, Bryant, Wear, Caruso all played pretty well the times they were out there, they may all get a chance to be back next season. Ennis, I think we will move on from, despite his usual very good April.

There is a lot of promise for the future, I am looking forward to the offseason and seeing the roster for 2018-2019.
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject:

They did what they wanted to accomplish. This was always going to be a transition year for the next two summers.

The young guys showed promise (don't think anyone expected this from Kuzma or even Hart). They shed the albatross contract of Mozgov. They shed the bad contract of Clarkson. They traded back into the first round, albeit a low first rounder. They got some veteran production from Lopez/KCP on one year deals.

Now it's bread and butter time. They have their payroll flexibility/ability to sign two max guys. They have young guys on cheap deals. Let's see what they do. End of day as Earvin said, no one cares about being 11th in the conference. Doesn't move the needle here at all.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject:

Just a reminder that all the self destructive family squabbling was sourced by Jeanie. It will be interesting to see in July if it is all gone now that she has taken vengeance on her father’s wishes.
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject:

I agree with OP that season has been mostly positive and we accomplished our goals. This offseason will be key since we gave up so much for the opportunity to sign 2 free agents (Russell, Clarkson, Nance).

In addition to free agent signings, I'll also be keeping an eye on what happens to Randle as he enters restricted free agency. He has played well but not sure how Lakers can keep him while trying to sign 2 max free agents. I wonder if it's possible to keep Randle and sign 2 max free agents by trading Deng, 2018 Cavs Pick, and 2019 Lakers Pick. Maybe a rebuilding team like the Hawks would be interested (Trade Deng, rights to the 2018 drafted player, and 2019 pick).
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Just a reminder that all the self destructive family squabbling was sourced by Jeanie. It will be interesting to see in July if it is all gone now that she has taken vengeance on her father’s wishes.

If that meant getting rid of Jim then good for her. He was terrible in my opinion. I think we are in good hands going forward.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

VLF, its done man.

I didn't like how it all went down and who got caught up in it but it's Jeannie's cross to bear in the Lakers.

I'm not the biggest fan of Jeanie either, but they made the change and they improved. Some will say it was just gonna happen anyway, but some will say Maginka was the key to that by way of Jeannie.

You gotta admit they are trending upward, and majorly if they get some max FAs.

Bye.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: OFFICIAL Season in Review

OK, another season in the books. Simple poll about how you felt about the season, and y'all can chime in on anything particular.

Why I'm Pleased

1. Kuz was a revelation at #27, easily one of the steals of the draft (I'd say Donovon Mitchell is the biggest steal of the draft).

2. Lonzo's defense. This was a major concern coming into the season, but he's proven to be a good team defender and the numbers seem to support it.

3. BI's incremental growth each month. Showed some signs after a disastrous first month. Loved seeing him play that versatile game where he was dishing, scoring, etc., and not looking to be a gunner.

4. Hart's value as a 30th pick. He'll hopefully be a rotation player on our next championship team. So much heart and grit.

5. Finally, Jules. Though I was never anti-Jules, I had my concerns about him. He completely won me over this year with his dependability (all 82 games) and durability. He was the constant on this team and if I had to give team MVP, he gets it.

Concerns

1. Injuries. Lonzo missed 30 games. BI missed nearly 25 games. These two are 2 of our cornerstone players and they missed too many games. Need to help them get stronger and more durable. We absolutely need them to be able to play 100+ games next year if we expect top FAs to join this team.

2. Lonzo's jumper. I think it'll come around, but it was so inconsistent this year. Thankfully he does a lot of other good things on the court, but teams will dare him to shoot and he has to be able to connect from long range more frequently, especially if he's expected to play off of other max level FAs.

3. Free throws. How many additional games could we have won if we shot 5-7% better from the line? Lonzo sometimes looked he was avoiding contact late game to not be at the line.

These were some of the thoughts off the top of my head. Generally, I'm very optimistic about this team going forward. We've cast off the Parking Brake, some guys who the FO didn't consider as long term young assets (DLO, JC, Nance) and replaced them with hardworking young guys. The table's set for 2 FAs. I don't think we're in a better rebuild situation than the 76ers, but I think we have a good argument to say we are the 2nd best rebuilding situation available this summer.

I went into this season a bit skeptical about Magikina but they have earned my trust going forward. Even if we whiff on 2 max FAs, I'm confident they won't go Moz/Deng on us and will be patient. Hope is back in the air.

As my favorite broadcaster growing up used to say...(paraphrasing to today's circumstances):

Quote:

The game's back in the refrigerator.

The door to contention is open.

The light's on.

We have some fresh eggs and butter in the fridge, and the Jell-O's just starting to jiggle.

Magic, bring us back baby!
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject:

I am Pleased I felt before the season if everything went right, ie. no injuries, we would be at about .500 and challenge for the 8 seed. Well we had too many injuries and who knew it would take 46 wins to get in the West. 35 wins is a nice improvement next year with LeBron we will be a top 3 seed with 55+ wins
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject:

I gave it a C.

While we’re obviously young and expecting to make the playoffs would have been far fetched, there’s nothing to be happy about a losing season. Good to see a little progress two years in a row though.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject:

PartyMan wrote:
I gave it a C.

While we’re obviously young and expecting to make the playoffs would have been far fetched, there’s nothing to be happy about a losing season. Good to see a little progress two years in a row though.

Yeah. 5th year in a row, huh? Was telling my wife how it's been 5 years since the Lakers made the playoffs and she was stunned.

But we've made progress.

2013-14: 14th worst record in Western Conference.
2014-15: 14th
2015-16: worst
2016-17: 14th
2017-18: 11th.

Yes, we are a proud fanbase accustomed to championships and deep playoff runs, but I feel that we have finally made some headway and are getting some early return on investments.

Patience. This summer may change things big time.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject:

B+

Much better defensive intensity.
We gave away at least 4 or 5 games at the FT line.
Disappointed that Bryant didn't get more run.
Kuzma & Hart were great gets.
For the most part, they ran their system.
Hated to lose LNJ, but he failed to make himself indispensable.
Most impressed by Maginka - solid move after solid move.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject:

C.

I cannot be happy and pleased when Lakers miss the playoff. Sorry but its the Los Angeles Lakers not Suns.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject:

blackmamba08 wrote:
C.

I cannot be happy and pleased when Lakers miss the playoff. Sorry but its the Los Angeles Lakers not Suns.

I don't think there was any conceivable way for this team to make the playoffs this year. I had them at 32 wins so they exceeded my expectations. Only way would have been some sort of sweetheart deal where we miraculously kept BI/Lonzo/Kuz/Jules/Hart and traded for PG13.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject:

Pleased!

Love the direction the team is headed. Young players developing, young coach and style of play all seem to be trending in the right direction. Team has a definable identity to build upon. If they choose to!

Lakers played hard every game. Compared to last year, minimal blow-outs and multiple comebacks that team fought back into to. Defense improved dramatically. Impressive draft contributions of Ball, Kuzma and Hart! Continued improvement of Randle and Ingram huge positives IMO.

Can't go extremely pleased because all those positives can be undermined depending on what the Lakers choose to do and can accomplish this off-season.

I have FO concerns that lower my grade for the team. Too many variables to be determined as to the direction, efforts and use of assets for next season. Depending on the long term vs short term thinking and path could change my vote dramatically.

I like this team as a fan. I want to see them continue to develop. Not so sure I will get to see that.

Last edited by Four Decade Bandwagon on Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:34 am; edited 1 time in total
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject:

C. Because;

1. As a Laker fan I can’t be happy with missing the playoffs
2. Lonzo did not live up to my expectations
3. 35 wins...one could say it would’ve been 40 with a healthy roster, I say it should’ve been 40 if we didn’t give away a handful of games due to inexcusable errors (ex: terrible freethrow shooting)

Pleased with Ingram’s progression, and the level of play from Kuzma & Hart.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject:

C, but not because of the performance of the players. I'd give that a B. But this was a placeholder roster. There is a good chance that literally half of these players will be gone by August 1. In that sense, this season was an 82 game side show.

For all of the talk about the "young core," the future of this team really has nothing to do with them. They are all expendable. If we reel in a couple of the big fish this summer, then whichever players survive from this roster will be expected to be role players. If we don't land any big fish, then the young core (plus whatever second and third tier free agents we can persuade to take one year deals) might top out at 40-42 wins next season, but only if Randle doesn't get poached.

So we spun our wheels this season. It was more esthetically pleasing, for sure. I'll give that a C.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject:

Fair enough AH.

I wouldn't fly on an aircraft carrier out on Manhattan Beach with a "Mission Accomplished" banner by any means. But they have set the table to either:

1. have a spectacular (reminiscent of 1996) summer with LBJ/PG13, possibly keep Jules/Brook.

2. sign PG13, keep Jules, live to fight another day in 2019 with 1 more max.

3. make smart signings using the constrained cap market in their favor, and punt 1 max to 2019.

Either way, I see us at worst, being like Denver/Minny this year in 2018-19. Of course our durability is much to be desired.

My grade is more in the B range.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject:

B. PLEASED!!!

Not perfect but the team is exciting and the FO has hyped my hopes up high
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject:

I went from feeling like the team was lucky to win, to expecting them to win in the middle of the season... when everyone was healthy.

Not happy with the final record, but pleased with the team's progress.

The offseason and restructuring of the team will play a strong part on whether I will be pleased next seaosn.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject:

B- if that makes sense.

While I am pleased, the injuries concern me. Maybe it was the Lakers being ultra cautious but still being out that long specifically for Lonzo and Ingram to a lesser extent is an issue.

This might be a different discussion but also part of B- imo: the FA outcome is going to be challenging because of the 35 wins. 40 wins would have been pretty convincing but injuries and early season inability to close out games really hurt that win total. Now we just have to hope that FAs see this as a playoff team ready to contend with their help and injuries/lack of established closer hurt this team.

Magic and Pelinka will have a tougher sell than if the Lakers had hit 40 wins.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject:

For me, it was most important to feel a sense that the FO knew what it was doing. They started off the offseason trading DLO, so I was displeased. But they made some shrewd signings (non panic moves) and got KCP, who for a 1 year punt, is as good as you can get. Brook helped Jules out, and Kuz/Hart were steals at the end of the draft.

It was tough to see Nance/JC go, but they cleared cap space and got a 1st (25th pick) in return. IT was worth the gamble to see if he could contribute and in a few games he did.

My gripes with the FO are:

1. inability to find a suitable backup PG (prior to IT coming and thereafter);
2. wing depth; could have used Brewer but he probably asked for the waiver.
3. how we treat injuries. Are Lonzo/BI really that hurt that they can't play? Are we just being cautious? Who knows. But now Lonzo may get the rep that he's injury prone or has low pain thresholds.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject:

Definitely an A, we accomplished everything we need to do and saw everything we needed to see.

1) All previous young players improved their game - check
2) All new young players showed they had game - check (arguably the best overall laker draft, definitely in recent memory)
3) Improve our financial situation going into the summer - check
4) Got a 1st round pick in this years draft - check
5) Team showed enough heart and talent to attract a marquee FA - this is obviously TBD, but I'm going to say check on this as well

For those who didn't have amazingly unreal expectations for the team and/or individual players I think there is a lot for Laker fans to be happy about
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject:

I have 3 concerns:

- Injuries
- Lonzo's progression
- free throw shooting

All 3 are within the control of the players via hard work and training.

The big thing is that I have ZERO concern over our talent level, coaching and mentality... been a very long time since I've been able to say that.

Last edited by silkwilkes on Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject:

I know the Nick the Quick/EJones teams actually made the playoffs and won some rounds, but am getting close that kind of vibe with this team. Hopefully we add a few star FAs either this summer or next. But a fun competitive team (when healthy).
El Seano
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject:

I voted B. If we'd had gotten 40 wins it would've been an A. Some bulletpoints.

- Great draft. We had the best draft of this class and it wasn't even close. Lonzo has numerous talking points which I'll get to but to find players like Kuzma and Hart that late in the draft is absolutely invaluable and was a vital part of the rebuild. If we land the big fish this summer when we're looking back in 5 years time how well they drafted this year will be apparent.

- Continued improvement of the core. Randle and Ingram both made big strides this year. Ingram seems to have gotten a little less attention lately due to his injuries and Randle breaking out but the way he looked December to February was incredibly promising. He put up 18/5/5 on 54/52/77 over 10 games in February. That is a long, long way from the player who frankly looked poor the vast majority of last season. If he can maintain the play he showed Dec-Feb he'll be a valuable piece. If he can improve on that then he is going to be a terror. Randle has gotten talked to death on here as of late but February/March he was playing like an all star caliber player. He was throwing 20/10s up every game with ease at wonderful shooting percentages and locking people down. Say what you will about the coaching decisions surrounding him at the start of the year but it obviously lit a fire under him and helped him get to this point.

- Entertaining play. April aside this has been the most entertaining year to be a fan for a very long time. The team plays attractive basketball and seem to be a tight cohesive unit that have one anothers backs on and off the court. It's a long way from that godawful Jeremy Lin squad or DLo phone hacking dramas. They're a bunch of guys you can really get behind and root for. Yeah Lonzo has a ton of extra-curriculars but on the whole he's a likable kid who I'm rooting for. Kuzma and Hart manage to be fun and consummate pros (Kuz has done a ton of charity stuff this year if you've not noticed). This core is something I'm genuinely looking forward to watching and frankly it's been a long time since I felt that way about a Lakers squad. Probably the championship years frankly and even that had a different feel to it.

- 8 win improvement. My main goal for the squad this year and all others has been simple; win more games than they did last year. 8 wins is a big improvement by anybodies reckoning. Credit to everybody really, from the coaches and FO to the players. It came together quite well this year.

- Savvy FO management. I think by now the FO is starting to win over the vast majority of fans. They have put in a position where honestly even if we strike out on Max FAs this summer I think this squad could still push for 40 wins on their own with some decent FA signings. They can canonize themselves with Lakers fans if they pull off the 2 max plan this summer. If you put LeBron and PG on this squad it'll be the biggest sports story in America today. But in any event I've got a lot more faith in the folks at the helm than I have for a long while.

- Reasons for optimism. Much of the above paired with bountiful cap space and finally after this year the constant overhanging cloud of where or who will end up with our 1st rounder will be gone. Years later the fallout cloud from the Dwightmare has finally dissipated and it finally feels good to be a Lakers fan again.

Negatives

- Lonzo's inconsistency. When he is on he is phenomenal. When he is off he is godawful. I've got faith in him to turn the corner next year, I mean look at what a summer did for Brandon but really it's been a very hit and miss year for Lonzo. He already has some stuff in his toolbox to really get you excited but if he doesn't fix his shooting it's all going to be pretty much for naught.

- Injuries. No team can help them but more than once it felt like the coaching staff were holding players out longer than needed. I also understand the logic behind that but really in April we were running out a LOT of G-League talent. However nice of a story Andre Ingram is, it sucks in terms of fan entertainment. I'm not a doctor or anything but it was the vagueness that killed me. There was too much "day to day" that turns into weeks and months. Not much can be done about any of that it just frustrates me.

- Philly doing anything of note. Because (bleep) them. If they go out in the 1st round I'll die laughing.

- The media circus. Thankfully by years end people had predictably stopped caring as much about the other Balls and what they do with their lives but that got really old, really fast. FWIW I don't particularly mind Lavar or any of them but I did mind the medias obsession with all things Ball Family.

- Having to wait for July 1st. It can't come soon enough.

Last edited by El Seano on Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: