2018 NBA Draft Your Big Board

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: 2018 NBA Draft Your Big Board

Will be constantly updated. I just need to lay this out.

1. Luka Doncic - Proven triple threat wing/team defender with NBA level minutes and games per year. His upside is entirely based on shooting, but that level of IQ, vision, ball-handling, shooting at 6'7"+ is a premium, and he could still be stronger.
2. DeAndre Ayton - If Alonzo Mourning was Shaq's size, but had issues defending PnR.
3. Jaren Jackson Jr. - My favorite big in the draft. High impact role player because he's not a typical shot creator, but over 40% behind the arc, has shown straight line drive/kick abilities, finishes around the rim, rebounding, rate, elite defender interior, perimeter, switches, team.
4. Trae Young - Next level should be easier for him. Needs strength to help with some distances. Passing is his best skill, not shooting. One of the elite ball-handlers in the draft. Super shifty.
5. Marvin Bagley - Shawn Kemp/Amare Stoudemire - Honestly, difficult to get a strong feel because he's getting by on pure raw talent of twitch, motor, and length. Switch defense? Shooting from midrange? Big upside guy.

6. Michael Porter Jr - A 3-point shooting Blake Griffin type is the stuff of nightmares. Back injury concerns hurt all NBA players, hurts his stock. No idea how it affects his athleticism. Defense? You've got jokes.
7. Wendell Carter Jr - A solid big capable of midrange, finishing in the paint, interior defense, rebounding. Underrated vision/passing. That's what keeps him on the floor for death lineups.
8. Mo Bamba - May drop him down because he's still getting away on pure length. Could have better impact than Rudy Gobert, easily has better athleticism than Gobert by age. Should be on the Team USA volleyball team. Absolute defensive gravity. Personally think he reads the floor slowly on both ends.
9. Mikal Bridges - 3 and D wing that showed hints of shot creation. Earlier seasons at Villanova, excelled very well in tertiary scoring roles and high level motor defense. Some ball-handling concerns, but had 3 of 5 elite physical tools defensively: IQ, motor, wingspan
10. Miles Bridges - Tweener forward that is a touch short on size at PF. Elite motor, 3pt shot, drive/kick ability, rebounding. Slimmed down even more to play 3, but didn't look as comfortable in his body compared to freshman year, where he seemed much more explosive and consistent with his shot. All of the small ball lineups have this guy, because he stretches the floor, moves the ball, rebounds, and upside for switch D.

11. SGA - Like a triple threat Shaun Livingston at DAR pace. That's a lottery pick.
12. Collin Sexton - May continue to drop him. Fiery competitor is his best quality.
13. Zhaire Smith - Shawn Marion with less length but MUCH MUCH better 3pt shot (even with the hitch) and MUCH better passer. Ball-handling issues. 90% of the Matrix with more strength.
14. Jontay Porter - May have him higher. Doesn't necessarily fit the prototype of NBA athleticism, but he's not Jokic level. Just, a strong, solid athlete. Plays the position like a wing; jumpshot trigger, reading the floor, reading the defense in general, rebounding, defensive position.
15. Kevin Knox - Pretty much thought this since December. He's Hidayet Turkoglu. Same frame, mechanical athleticism, ... right down to the ball-handling and shot form.

16. Robert Williams - May potentially drop him more. Had a season like a great music artists sophomore album. Defensive IQ issues. Decline in mid-range game.
17. Mitchell Robinson - Elite physical tools make him a PnR candidate with rim protection archetype. Best to play with veterans that hide other weaknesses and can set him up well. Concerned he's the Ed Davis with physical tools, when you want him to be Clint Capela.
18. Troy Brown - What Evan Turner was supposed to be. 6'7" PG in high school, average athlete, but all functional athleticism. Some motor on defense. Vision/passing in spades. Strong.
19. Elie Okobo - Like Brunson/Holiday combined. First step, PnR play, 3-level shooting + pull up Js. Shoots outward than up.
20. Chandler Hutchison - Should be higher but I don't mind if he slips. Body control, Eurostep, finish either hand, soft shot. Easy movement on jumper, but more of a C&S guy. Haven't really seen him step into a jumper or hop step. Solid defender. Streaky shooter. Change of direction into straight line drive. Long strides with good athleticism. Drive/kick ability. Worst case is Dan Majerle. Best case is, the guy that Danny Granger was supposed to be.

21. Shamorie Ponds - I still see the whiff of NVE in his game. NY guard. Handles. But creates space with functionality to get shots off. Low unassisted rates indicate low shooting percentages, not necessarily shot accuracy or shot selection. Shifty.
22. De'Anthony Melton - Has the natural tools to be a top tier NBA defender. Just really good at being light on his feet, while being explosive on the floor to steal or off the floor to block shots. Grab and go guard. Has a clue for passing, already working on his shot. LA local. Motor. Worst case Tony Allen.

Quote:
Basically core guys I'm not a fan of because of their ball-handling. Simons has showed Iso ball-handling at HS, but footage is so limited. Walker is a 3 in a 2 body but with explosiveness. Okogie is a 3 in a 2 body but with wingspan.

23. Josh Okogie
24. Lonnie Walker
25. Anfernee Simons

26. DeAndre Hunter (declared?)
27. Landry Shamet - Elite dynamic shooter with ancillary playmaking skills

28. Jacob Evans - 5 position defender with vision/passing ability. C&S.
29. Jalen Brunson - Elite 3 level scoring with high level vision/passing. Equal height to wingspan. Average athlete. Post base. Shifty with given tools.
30. Aaron Holiday - Should be higher. NBA athlete with 44% 3 ball and playmaking ability. Gets sped up/heated up.
31. Khyri Thomas - Avery Bradley, less twitch, more bulk. Finishing ability.
32. Donte Divincenzo - Combo guard that can successfully run an offense. Sees full width of court. Motor on defense. Dynamic shooter.

33. Melvin Frazier - A 1/2 step behind hoop IQ/reads, but elite 3 and D player otherwise. Should be ahead of the curve considering age. Can still develop because he has physical tools to compensate, wingspan, vert, explosiveness, quickness, strength, etc.

The mess to clean up.

Dzanan Musa - Undisciplined gunner. Was tweeted his age may not be correct.
Jevon Carter - The guy GSW should draft. Complements the team and brings something to the floor outside of 3-point shooting.
Gary Trent Jr - Meh
Shake Milton - 6'7" 7' wingspan triple threat guard, but really worried about core strength, leg strength, ability to stop, ability to explode to the hoop. Worst case is better passing/ball-handling Tony Snell. 44% 3pt career. Brings NBA level shooting.
Keita Bates Diop - Tweener in the bad way, like Marcus Morris without the efficiency.

Bruce Brown - I prefer to think last year was just a down year for him and he's still a 1st round combo guard. Football background reflects highly of defensive motor/read abilities.
Ajdin Penova - Like watching Dario Saric with insane block rate, but not Saric's elite passing around draft time. Average athlete, but can develop into a fine player next level.
Chimetzu Metu - Meh
Rawle Alkins - Defensive PG, wingspan, feet, attack style, questionable shot.
Grayson Allen - Oh hell no.

Devonte Graham - Backup PG upside but had his best role during his frosh year at Kansas. Showed to be a ball-hawk at defensive PG but was also hitting clutch shots then. Unusually high assists, speaks to Mykhailiuk and Newman as shooters and two lob targets in Azubuike and Vick. Legit wouldn't be mad in the 2nd round as a pick, but should be seen as a 1st if it were an average draft.
Ethan Happ - I don't know what to do with this guy. It's like if you gave Mark Madsen (actually Madsen had a stronger two-foot vert) some Jokic skills and premium footwork, you get Happ. Had all of the defensive attention and still shot 54% 2-point. Unfortunately also shot 54%FT. Still, 33% assist rate, 3% stl rate, 3.8% block rate, 24% DReb rate are usually just insanely strong indicators for a successful NBA career.
Malik Newman - If Jordan Clarkson was shorter. Sees half the court. His best role that's comfortable for him is to turn into a microwave scorer, but things really open up if he makes simple reads.
Hamadou Diallo - Elite athlete but IQ makes it rarely functional. He does have a route to the NBA, but I always say, can't scout the brain. It's up to him to take what's learned and apply it to an NBA court.
Trevon Duval - I have zero believe in his jumpshot.

Justin Jackson
Gary Clark
Devon Hall - 3 and D wing, PIT standout, subpar finisher, 90% C&S, older than most prospects, defensive discipline. Once again, wouldn't be mad if he's the pick in the 2nd round
S. Mykhailiuk - Shooter has shown more aggression attacking with international play. If he plays like he's from Kansas, he's a 2nd. If he plays like he's in a FIBA tournament, he's a 1st rounder and would give hints of comparisons to Divincenzo.
Brandon McCoy

Vince Edwards
Moritz Wagner - 1 NBA skill is bigman shooting. May end up in the league because he has requisite strength. Slow feet. Soft interior defense with verticality.
Tony Carr (DNL) - I'm not convinced at all, even if he's a 6'5" PG. Really has to show more than just hitting contested shots over weaker competition.
Travon Bluiett - 1 NBA skill is shooting. Quick release, average athlete, typical wing size, straight line drive.

Last edited by Mike@LG on Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:28 am; edited 6 times in total
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject:

1. Doncic
2. JJJ
T2. Young
4. Ayton
5. MPJ

6. Bomba
7. Mikal Bridges
8. Carter Jr.
9. Bagley

10. Sexton
11. Hutchinson - please be a Laker. His jumper could turn great, it's concise, reminds me of Tobias. He has near 20ppg potential at the next level.
12. Miles Bridges
13. Jontay Porter - not a great athlete but has a great base that will help him finish. shooting/passing

14. Knox - project. Might be able to shoot off the dribble from all areas in a few years(but Hutchinson is very close to this now). Knox could be a Kuzma spitting image later
15. Robinson - project. freaaak athlete at 7foot https://twitter.com/DXContent/status/969625351289745409
16. Williams - kind of shaky leaping wise for oops on rolls, like Knee shakiness jumping on the move like Bynum -- not sold he's nimble enough in this aspect like a Capela (who'm is skinnier)

17. Troy Brown - project. 2part stroke with mechanical issues 29%. I wouldn't draft him as a Laker I don't want a project. Not sold on his quickness. SF

18. Walker - creator upside
19. Melton - shooting project improving
20. Okogie - might turn into the best shooter of this 3/D group. Form reminds me of Wesley Mathews. 7' wingspan. athlete. Watch Duke highlights
T20. Evans - Mr. Reliable next Josh Hart but 6'6

22. Shake Milton
T22. Simons - way better athlete than SGA, better shot making potential. super skinny young project 4 years away

24. Zhaire Smith - 2part jumper. 4 3/D players right above him, they're all good to dynamic shooters and really good athletes. I like their floor's over a non shooter.. project, maybe he proves me wrong in 5 years.
25. Shamet
26. SGA - average athlete. very skinny.
27. Okobo - Ponds of Europe with a more refined stroke
28. Ponds - Okobo of USA with some more ISO ability
29. Divencnzo
30. Khyri Thomas

31. Bonga - 6'9 ball handling prospect, sure

I like 1-30 very very very much

Last edited by KeepItRealOrElse on Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:39 am; edited 7 times in total
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject:

Your enthusiasm still shows through the tweet.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Loll draft twitter soured on him, but Hutch has shown more than enough flashes imo , if you like the jumper form
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Loll draft twitter soured on him, but Hutch has shown more than enough flashes imo , if you like the jumper form

I think it's because of his age, but frankly, I don't care. He's shown enough requisite skill by age. Worst case Dan Majerle, but I expect way better.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject:

1. doncic
2. trae young
3. jjj
4. Ayton
5. bagley
6. mikal bridges
7. MPJ
8. wendell carter
9. shamorie ponds
10. jacob evans
11. collin sexton
12. troy brown jr
13. miles bridges
14. chandler hutchison
15. lonnie walker
16. jontay
17. mo bamba
18. zhaire smith
19. khyri thomas
20. shake milton
21. SGA
22. landry shamet
23. deanthony melton
24. jalen brunson
25. elie okobo
26. anfernee simons
27. josh okogie
28. aaron holiday
30. mitchell robinson

something like that. not as confident in my assessment of this year's draft class as last year's. not having a lottery pick = less interest.

Founder - Draft Shamorie Ponds 2018 Campaign

Last edited by 44TheLogo on Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:22 am; edited 6 times in total
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject:

I wonder what the chances are Hutch drops to us..Don't see why he wouldn't kill workouts. When you're near 6'8 shoot well, dynamically in workouts, leap really well, handle well for a 3.. idk how that falls to #25 in the draft process but I can pray
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
I wonder what the chances are Hutch drops to us..Don't see why he wouldn't kill workouts. When you're near 6'8 shoot well, dynamically in workouts, leap really well, handle well for a 3.. idk how that falls to #25 in the draft process but I can pray

if he doesn't fall, that means someone else will. we'll get someone good.

Founder - Draft Shamorie Ponds 2018 Campaign
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

if he doesn't fall, that means someone else will. we'll get someone good.

No doubt
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: