Another excellent article by the great Lee Jenkins
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject:

Comparing current Lakers situation to prior era is fruitless. Lakers were trash before with unproven youth, broken Kobe, a terrible coach, and no ability to sign two max guys. Plus in 2016 every team in the NBA had loads of cap space.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I totally get it. It's been 5 years without a playoffs. We've now been accustomed to bad news and dim prospects.

It's weird reading pieces praising the Lakers, or even deigning optimism. Even if they don't get 2 max FAs this summer, I just have a confidence that they won't blow the cap space needlessly ala Moz/Deng.

This isn’t just a praise piece because if it was, anyone could have done it. Lee Jenkins with this article is basically telling us how everything will be different this summer and it’s coming from a guy who only writes significant pieces that matter.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I totally get it. It's been 5 years without a playoffs. We've now been accustomed to bad news and dim prospects.

It's weird reading pieces praising the Lakers, or even deigning optimism. Even if they don't get 2 max FAs this summer, I just have a confidence that they won't blow the cap space needlessly ala Moz/Deng.

This isn’t just a praise piece because if it was, anyone could have done it. Lee Jenkins with this article is basically telling us how everything will be different this summer and it’s coming from a guy who only writes significant pieces that matter.

What? He's just another damned sports writer. He isn't anything special. I pulled up a list of his recent articles and found this "significant piece that matters":

November 2017: The Clippers Are All-in on Blake Griffin
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

how do you come up with these posts

dont misunderstand, I love your posts , but sometimes I wonder if you're not actually an AI
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

What? He's just another damned sports writer. He isn't anything special. I pulled up a list of his recent articles and found this "significant piece that matters":

November 2017: The Clippers Are All-in on Blake Griffin

Wow so you took all this time to search for a piece to argue against what he says about Blake’s article which in btw is about his life and what he does on a daily basis. So you want to prove that a significant writer praising the Lakers new positive vibes doesn’t matter because his other piece was sketchy?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Judah wrote:
It's a beautiful piece. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it yesterday. It's safe to say that the access and the transparency of the new regime is resulting in very positive coverage from the media. We scratch your back, you scratch ours.

Absolutely. And Lee Jenkins does not waste his time on frivolous franchises and narratives.

Don't know if you guys have seen it, but there's a long sitdown interview he did with Kobe in front of an audience. It's probably the best Kobe interview I've seen or heard. Lee knows his ish and is pretty clearly an LA guy.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I'm more interested in the writer and the reason why he has turned his gaze upon the Lakers.

He wrote that vacuous puff piece for Lebron too when he returned to the Cavs.

Exactly. Interesting timing for this article.

I also found his repeated use of the phrase "the last week of the Lakers rebuild" very interesting.
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I will express a contrary opinion. It struck me as a vacuous fluff piece that is focused on congratulating Magic and Pelinka for thinking about accomplishing something. This sort of reminds me of Ramona Shelburne's Valentines to Jeanie Buss. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if this article is part of the same PR campaign.

If Magic and Pelinka actually accomplish something this summer, I will tip my cap to them. I'm not rooting against them. But I am getting sick of reading about how brilliant they are because they have managed to clear cap space. Unless and until that cap space turns into an actual player, they have accomplished nothing.

Remember that, once upon a time, Isiah Thomas was really good at generating positive media coverage. He even got some positive coverage after he crashed and burned. As fans, we need to demand results, not celebrate spin.

Agreed. Once a big free-agent signs with us, I'll feel better about Magic and Pelinka

Coach Wooden
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
July 1 is still 10 weeks away, but Magic sounds as if he has been practicing his pitch. “You tailor your message to the individual,” Johnson starts. “You have to know what’s important to them and how we can help them achieve their goals, on and off the court, but especially on. You also have to tell them how special this is and what it means. Face of the Lakers, nothing competes with that. You’re great here, you win here, it’s forever. It’s magical. It brings you so many things you can’t even see or imagine. Here I am, almost 60, and I’m still the prince of the city.”

Quote:
Despite a couple public airballs, the season was a success. “We had to show that we have really good young players, and we did that,” Johnson says. “That’s what guys and their agents want to see: ‘If I put my talent with your talent, can we win?’ I think we proved you can.” Beyond the Oklahoma City and Miami models, Johnson admires another blueprint, in Boston. “Kyrie Irving got with young, talented players,” Johnson says. “It’s not that you have to have a Big Three anymore. You have to have young horses to go with a superstar or two.

I get the attractiveness of HOU and Philly, and we’ll see how OKC finishes the season, but it's really hard seeing LBJ and PG13 saying no to this man while he's lavishing all of this on them right to their face. He knows what they want to hear and has a convincing ”game, set, match” attitude about it. Then you throw Pelinka in there, along with Luke laying out the basketball vision with his trademark coolness? Let's do it.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Quote:
July 1 is still 10 weeks away, but Magic sounds as if he has been practicing his pitch. “You tailor your message to the individual,” Johnson starts. “You have to know what’s important to them and how we can help them achieve their goals, on and off the court, but especially on. You also have to tell them how special this is and what it means. Face of the Lakers, nothing competes with that. You’re great here, you win here, it’s forever. It’s magical. It brings you so many things you can’t even see or imagine. Here I am, almost 60, and I’m still the prince of the city.”

Quote:
Despite a couple public airballs, the season was a success. “We had to show that we have really good young players, and we did that,” Johnson says. “That’s what guys and their agents want to see: ‘If I put my talent with your talent, can we win?’ I think we proved you can.” Beyond the Oklahoma City and Miami models, Johnson admires another blueprint, in Boston. “Kyrie Irving got with young, talented players,” Johnson says. “It’s not that you have to have a Big Three anymore. You have to have young horses to go with a superstar or two.

I get the attractiveness of HOU and Philly, and we’ll see how OKC finishes the season, but it's really hard seeing LBJ and PG13 saying no to this man while he's lavishing all of this on them right to their face. He knows what they want to hear and has a convincing ”game, set, match” attitude about it. Then you throw Pelinka in there, along with Luke laying out the basketball vision with his trademark coolness? Let's do it.

Yep
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

It's very interesting about Magic Johnson actually. He obviously was a HOF player and one of the GOAT, but he played in an era where guys made good money, but not today's player money.

Being a somewhat blowhard aside, he's developed into one of the most successful business people in the country. Net worth north of 500 million. Wildly successful.

Will go out on a limb and say he wouldn't have close to that kind of a business career if he didn't play for this organization at that time under Jerry Buss. You think he does that in Detroit?
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

So you're saying this is better than Byron Scott, Jim Buss' baseball cap and Mitch Kupchak talking about the past?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Wow so you took all this time to search for a piece to argue against what he says about Blake’s article which in btw is about his life and what he does on a daily basis. So you want to prove that a significant writer praising the Lakers new positive vibes doesn’t matter because his other piece was sketchy?

No, I’m responding to your peculiar claim that this guy only writes significant pieces that matter. He’s just a sports writer. In the golden age of Sports Illiustrated, they had a whole stable of guys who wrote articles like that. The explosion of cable TV, and more recently the internet, has made that sort of writing less prominent. Hot takes and quick hitting pieces are the norm now.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

No, I’m responding to your peculiar claim that this guy only writes significant pieces that matter. He’s just a sports writer. In the golden age of Sports Illiustrated, they had a whole stable of guys who wrote articles like that. The explosion of cable TV, and more recently the internet, has made that sort of writing less prominent. Hot takes and quick hitting pieces are the norm now.

His most recent history article was about LeBron returning to Cleveland which was a significant piece, he doesn’t say things just for the heck of it, when he’s on Spectrum he seems pretty engaged & animated when he talks about the Lakers, again if you have a different view on him then cool... you’re choice.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
So Byron Scott is in Magic's ear every single day.

Magic: "Sup Byron!"

Byron: "Trade Dlo!"

Magic: ".... um, okay, where's your locker?"

Byron: "Trade Dlo!"

Magic: ".... let's just workout okay?"

Byron: "Traded Dlo yet!!?"

Those cats need to "man up !"
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: