Legal Question Regarding Employee Bonuses

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Legal Question Regarding Employee Bonuses

Just curious if any of you were or are in a similar boat as me, and, whether anyone with any legal standing has any thoughts on this.

So I have been with my employer for just over 3 years. In my original offer, I agreed to a base salary plus a "bonus" of 15% of annual salary. No details in the offer on how said bonus is obtained and when I originally questioned the recruiter on it, he told me it was based on company goals. Ok, fine, that's fairly common.

Since that time, they have reduced all managers' bonuses to 10% and eliminated it entirely for non-managers as the company has been flat in sales year over year. I'm a manager so I still have a 10% bonus tied to my comp.

Anyway, here's my question: In the 3+ years I have been there, not only have I never been paid a penny in terms of bonus payout (fine, that happens sometimes), I have never even been notified that we didn't make bonus. There has not once been a communication on what metrics were needed to be met and to what degree in order for it pay. In fact, it almost feels like a thing you don't talk about because if you do you're just here for the money or something.

It's at the point where I seriously wonder if there even is a bonus program at all. Like, perhaps, they just include that in offer letters to suppress base salary and save on that a bit. If this were true, it wouldn't be surprising as my company is cheap af. So long question short -- let's assume there is no actual bonus plan at all. There is no set of metrics they track to determine whether bonuses pay, and it's really just something that they do if and when they decide they were in a good mood that year.

Is that legal?

Of course a company isn't legally obligated to pay a bonus, but, I have a bonus incentive tied to my comp agreement of 10%. Shouldn't there legally have to be an actual mechanism behind that or is it totally lawful to just .... lie and pretend there is?
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Was the 10% included in your OTE or outlined specifically as to how it was paid out in your initial offer letter, or other documents concerning your compensation package at the start of your employment?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject:

AH is probably the man to ask. IIRC he's a lawyer that deals with workers.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject:

My understanding is that Bonuses are only paid out if the company meets certain financial goals.

Typically, companies would pay these into a Bonus Pool Account, but again if there is no money put into it, then there is no money to pay out.

Typically, these Bonus Pools (if they do have a limited amount of money) pay the people on top first, so while Managers and Directors may not get their bonuses, the CEO and VP's still get theirs.

It's a RHIP (Rank Has Its Privileges)...
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject:

I'm an employment lawyer who often specializes in wage cases. Without more details, I can't tell you. However, in general, the written policy or offer letter dictates the terms of your employment. Those terms can be proactively applied, or changed, but not retroactively applied or changed (after the work has already been done). If the bonus arrangement/plan is not in writing, but was just an oral promise, that typically won't be upheld. If its in a contract, offer letter or employee manual/handbook, that's better evidence and more likely to be enforceable.

Again, it all depends on the details and how solid of a commitment it is. If its discretionary or there isn't a term for an automatic non-discretionary bonus, then there could be issues with any type of claim for non-payment.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
Was the 10% included in your OTE or outlined specifically as to how it was paid out in your initial offer letter, or other documents concerning your compensation package at the start of your employment?

So, there was a verbal communication (via an all hands meeting) that the 15% bonus for managers had been reduced to 10%. So I can only assume this means that the criteria around the original 15% remains intact and that the max payout has only been reduced to 10%. In my next post, I'll supply the actual statement that is in my original offer letter from 3 years ago.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
I'm an employment lawyer who often specializes in wage cases. Without more details, I can't tell you. However, in general, the written policy or offer letter dictates the terms of your employment. Those terms can be proactively applied, or changed, but not retroactively applied or changed (after the work has already been done). If the bonus arrangement/plan is not in writing, but was just an oral promise, that typically won't be upheld. If its in a contract, offer letter or employee manual/handbook, that's better evidence and more likely to be enforceable.

Again, it all depends on the details and how solid of a commitment it is. If its discretionary or there isn't a term for an automatic non-discretionary bonus, then there could be issues with any type of claim for non-payment.

Thanks LS. Here's the actual statement from my offer letter.

"You will be eligible to participate in the Bonus Plan with a Target Award of 15% based on established performance criteria and subject to approval by the Compensation Committee of the Board of Directors on an annual basis."

In the 3 years I have been there, there has never been a formal nor informal notification (to anyone that I know in the company) that the established performance criteria had not been met in any fiscal year.

I suppose I should just email HR and ask them to provide the criteria (although I do not think they are required to do so) but, given that this "Bonus Plan" has never been communicated beyond this statement in the offer letter, in 3 years of my employment, I, and others, wonder if such a plan exists in any formal or official capacity at all.

Because the company tends to be rather cheap, I think a lot of us wonder if the Bonus Plan mention in offer letters is simply there as a tactic to get people to take slightly less in guaranteed base comp.

Bottom line, I was curious if, by virtue of including a Bonus Plan in an offer letter, is there any other legal requirement an employer must do (such as, notify eligible employees of the Bonus Plan status) or are they perfectly within their right to just make it up and get people to take a little less in base comp?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject:

LS is the guy to talk to. Bonus issues are very much a question of state law, and I don't practice in California. I'll give you a couple generic comments, though:

1. If the recruiter told you that the bonus was based on company goals, that sounds like a discretionary bonus. This should be a lesson to anyone who gets a job offer with a bonus component. Unless there is a specific formula, the promise of a bonus is usually just fluff. I find it remarkable that so few people ask questions about this. The same is true for commissions, by the way. Few people ask for a written commission plan. They hear "you get a five percent commission," and then they find out that the employer deducts a zillion little charges before calculating the commission, or the employer says "we only pay a two percent commission on that sort of deal."

2. The general common law rule is that an employer can change the terms of your employment at any time, as long as it is prospective. You accept the changes when you elect to continue your employment. This is different if you have an actual written employment agreement with specific termination provisions and the like, but few employees actually have anything like that. So a vague promise for a 15% bonus is written in water.

So yeah, the bonus language in your offer letter may very well have been a scam of sorts. The company is probably still telling new employees that they get salary plus bonus, even though there has been no bonus for years.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
"You will be eligible to participate in the Bonus Plan with a Target Award of 15% based on established performance criteria and subject to approval by the Compensation Committee of the Board of Directors on an annual basis."

Oh yeah. That and about five bucks will get you a cup of coffee these days.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Oh yeah. That and about five bucks will get you a cup of coffee these days.

Haha thanks AH. So, are the laws around it vague enough that they don’t have to say something? Like, established performnce criteria was not met this year. Or, criteria was met but payouts were denied by Board of Directors.

Just seems weird they can put something like this in an offer letter and then say absolutely nothing at all.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject:

I agree with AH. They can put anything in the offer letter, but if the language is ambiguous and comes with a bunch if subjective, discretionary conditions, then it isn't really a guarantee of anything no matter the conditions. Basically, it's no more than someone saying that if they have a good year they might be willing to cut you off a slice, but no promises. Under the law, you can't sue someone because they said they might do something if they feel like it, no matter how hopeful you were.

For something to be enforceable, it cannot be discretionary and has to be automatically guaranteed based on set criteria, whether that be performance, length of employment or any other criteria. If it has to be approved by anyone before it is issued, that is automatically a sign it's not guaranteed, especially where the agreement does not spell out any objective criteria that would force anyone to approve it, no less any criteria at all.

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
I agree with AH. They can put anything in the offer letter, but if the language is ambiguous and comes with a bunch if subjective, discretionary conditions, then it isn't really a guarantee of anything no matter the conditions. Basically, it's no more than someone saying that if they have a good year they might be willing to cut you off a slice, but no promises. Under the law, you can't sue someone because they said they might do something if they feel like it, no matter how hopeful you were.

For something to be enforceable, it cannot be discretionary and has to be automatically guaranteed based on set criteria, whether that be performance, length of employment or any other criteria. If it has to be approved by anyone before it is issued, that is automatically a sign it's not guaranteed, especially where the agreement does not spell out any objective criteria that would force anyone to approve it, no less any criteria at all.

Makes sense. So they don’t even need to tell employees the Bonus Plan was disapproved?

In other words, they can legally lie on the offer letter and refer to a Bonus Plan that does not actually exist?
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject:

^It depends on the situation, but the basic things I and AH are saying are true. As an attorney, I am not going to give a definitive yes or no on an internet forum, but hopefully the above gave you some guidance. Ultimately, if you really care, you should have a consultation with an attorney who can go through all the specific details of your situation and give you a more informed analysis that can't be had through this medium.

splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
^It depends on the situation, but the basic things I and AH are saying are true. As an attorney, I am not going to give a definitive yes or no on an internet forum, but hopefully the above gave you some guidance. Ultimately, if you really care, you should have a consultation with an attorney who can go through all the specific details of your situation and give you a more informed analysis that can't be had through this medium.

LS, if some employee sent an anonymous tip to their states Labor Dept. Could they at minimum have their company looked into for lying and actually forcing them to stop lying to other new employees coming in about a bonus that will never happen?
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject:

^I doubt the labor commissioner would look into something as vague as that nor do I think they would they find that somwthing like that was within their preview, but nothing stopping you or anyone from trying. Also, there is an assumption here that the employer is lying. They may not be. They honestly may just not have the money or justification to bonus people out despite having every intention to under the right circumstances. Thats just one example of how fact specific these situations are and why there isn't just one generalized or cookie cutter answer I nor an attorney can provide without knowing all the specifics of a situation, which is inherently impossible to do in an online forum like this.

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
In other words, they can legally lie on the offer letter and refer to a Bonus Plan that does not actually exist?

Generic answer from a non-California lawyer: Yes. It would take a lot more than that cryptic comment to give rise to a fraud claim. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if there is an innocuous looking bit of boilerplate in your offer letter stating that the letter is not a contract and that you are an at-will employee. If not, you probably signed something like that in the pile of stuff they gave you when you started.

California is a lot more pro-employee than Texas, but that isn’t saying much. In general, the US is one of the most pro-employer countries. People from other countries find us perplexing in this respect.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject:

These guys are giving you great facts to work with, but coupled with your limited information not much else can be resolved here.

I suggest you approach HR, in a respectful manner and ask them to explain to you exactly how the Bonus program works, as an employee who had it mentioned on your offer letter, you should have done this during your first year there.

Like I said before, most likely it is tied to the companies' profit goals/expectations. It is not like you are demanding a raise, you are just asking how something that was vaguely promised to you works.

Don't be shy, get in there tomorrow and report back to us here...!
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
These guys are giving you great facts to work with, but coupled with your limited information not much else can be resolved here.

I suggest you approach HR, in a respectful manner and ask them to explain to you exactly how the Bonus program works, as an employee who had it mentioned on your offer letter, you should have done this during your first year there.

Like I said before, most likely it is tied to the companies' profit goals/expectations. It is not like you are demanding a raise, you are just asking how something that was vaguely promised to you works.

Don't be shy, get in there tomorrow and report back to us here...!

Ha. I'll probably do that. The reason I haven't, it's not because I'm shy, but more so, this is one of those companies where, if you are the type to look under the hood, or challenge a long standing practice in any way, even in a respectful way, it can make you look bad. Even if it shouldn't. There's just a lot of people that have been at the company a very long time, and they don't like to be questioned by newcomers. For example, I remember we had a meeting once and a product manager brought up a concern about a quality issue. They were basically told to try being more of a team player who should be focusing on how to get the product in question to market. So by bringing up their concern, they were almost immediately casted as a negative nancy. Toxic, yes, I know, and I'm trying to get out, haha.

I'm not saying this supposed Bonus Plan is fake, but it certainly seems like it, and it almost seems like everyone knows it is but people tend to be too afraid to speak up. It's almost like if you ask about the mechanics behind it, you're being ... too inquisitive.

Next week I'm going to send them an email and just play dumb. We'll see what they say about it. I'm almost certainly convinced they will suggest I schedule a meeting with an HR rep to discuss in person because they won't want to put anything in writing.

Thanks a bunch you guys for chiming in. Appreciate it!

I find in these situations, it often serves best to play dumb and
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject:

find out if the bonus plan is still being offered from a new employee or some way without you asking HR

stay discreet

Have a friend call HR and act as a prospective employee looking at benefits current companies are offering before you apply and submit your resume.
See if anyone is willing to explain the benefit plan to them in clear details.

You know what you want to ask.. just get someone else to do it so it doesn't trace back to you
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
The reason I haven't, it's not because I'm shy, but more so, this is one of those companies where, if you are the type to look under the hood, or challenge a long standing practice in any way, even in a respectful way, it can make you look bad.

Ah, then be sure to put the inquiry in writing, and start off with "I feel that I am being discriminated against due to my race." Your employee handbook will guarantee that no one is going to retaliate against you for coming forward with these issues. If you can't trust the employee handbook and the HR department, who can you trust?

(Note to anyone out there who lacks a sense of humor: This was a joke. Don't really do this. The correct preamble is "I feel that I am being discriminated against because I am gender fluid." Those of us who are employment lawyers do not usually share this secret without charging, but I'm always willing to help out a fellow LGer.)
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Thanks LS. Here's the actual statement from my offer letter.

In the 3 years I have been there, there has never been a formal nor informal notification (to anyone that I know in the company) that the established performance criteria had not been met in any fiscal year.

I suppose I should just email HR and ask them to provide the criteria (although I do not think they are required to do so) but, given that this "Bonus Plan" has never been communicated beyond this statement in the offer letter, in 3 years of my employment, I, and others, wonder if such a plan exists in any formal or official capacity at all.

Because the company tends to be rather cheap, I think a lot of us wonder if the Bonus Plan mention in offer letters is simply there as a tactic to get people to take slightly less in guaranteed base comp.

Bottom line, I was curious if, by virtue of including a Bonus Plan in an offer letter, is there any other legal requirement an employer must do (such as, notify eligible employees of the Bonus Plan status) or are they perfectly within their right to just make it up and get people to take a little less in base comp?

The language I bolded above is normally their "out." The Board can simply elect not approve the bonus plan especially if the revenues in their sole discretion do not merit a bonus.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: