Is a Lebron PG13 and Leonard scenario possible?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Is a Lebron PG13 and Leonard scenario possible?

venturalakersfan wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
BigBallerBrand wrote:
Can we sign Lebron and PG outright, and then trade Deng, Ball, Kuzma, Inbram to SA for Leonard? And then can we afford to keep all 3 going forward?

LOL! If I were the Spurs, I'd say yes to that in a heartbeat. If Bron, Leonard and PG13 were all 26 and below like Bron, Wade and Bosh, then maybe I'd think about it.

Lebron will be 34, Leonard turns 27 in a couple of months, PG13 will be 28. Your window is much smaller than the Heat, and 34 yrs old Lebron is still your best player? If you can legitimately tell me Bron is the 3rd best player of this bunch, then again, maybe I''d think about it. But the dude is the best player of the trio. Your whole "future," a very tiny future is dependent on Bron.

Nonsense.

It’s a circular argument. George wants to come to get away from Westbrook but would still be Lebron’s understudy. No difference. Leonard is the Spurs top man but wants to be our 2nd/3rd guy? It all seems like fan mental gymnastics.

I think PG13 would rather do that in LA than OKC? If he has to be a 2nd option, I think he would choose to do that in his home town (which he has repeatedly expressed publicly).
Sojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject:

I think going with one now and another in 2019 is that you give the team a chance to gel with one superstar this year, see what happens with our young guns (they may take the next step to bonafide stars themselves) and then you add another who can gel in a year as well. I can easily see one FA taking us into the second round of the playoffs and then adding a second in 2019 basically makes us a contender (especially with 2 more years to see GS fall apart, get older, can't pay for all the pieces).
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Judah wrote:
BigBallerBrand wrote:
What is the logic behind thinking Ball/Ingram/Kuzma/Deng is too much for Leonard?

Wouldn’t it cost one of these players plus a draft pick to get rid of Deng anyway? So we are pretty much giving up 2 great prospects for a #1 option on a championship team, and also giving up Deng at the cost of only one great prospect without surrendering an additional draft pick.

The logic behind it is that it’s a drastic overpay for a guy that you can just signr as a free agent in one year instead of gutting your entire young core to get him a little earlier. If it's indeed true that Kawhi wants to come to the Lakers, the Spurs are in no position to be greedy. Kawhi (and by extension, the Lakers) have the leverage. If the Spurs insisted on all three of BI, Lonzo, and Kuz and you caved, they suckered you.

And if you would attach one of them just to move Deng, you got suckered twice in one summer.

Only you don’t know that he will be a FA in one year. I doubt he gets to that point. But I wouldn’t trade for him now, I have no confidence in his health.

That too, but that's why him actually having a desire to play in Los Angeles is the difference maker. It swings the leverage in the Lakers’ favor. I'm sure that the new Plan A is to acquire LeBron, PG, and Kawhi now. But if the Spurs are demanding a fleece I would expect the FO to proceed with the original LeBron and PG plan and to position themselves for a Kawhi pursuit in 2019.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Kawhi Leonard, Lakers have mutual interest this offseason

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2018/4/19/17258294/la-lakers-trade-rumors-kawhi-leonard-lakers-have-mutual-interest-this-offseason

Lakers will chase Kawhi Leonard deal this summer, SN sources say
Quote:
“I think they go in hard for Leonard once the season is over and once the dust settles in San Antonio,” one executive told Sporting News. “[Leonard] wants to go to LA. There probably won’t be public demands on that, but he has leverage. He is going to be a free agent [in 2019]. He’s an LA guy and he can just let teams know he won’t re-sign next year with anyone but the Lakers.”

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/nba-trade-rumors-kawhi-leonard-spurs-news-contract-lakers-free-agency-lebron-james-paul-george/1mjrozz6r0r1l16o3b545inpor
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a Lebron PG13 and Leonard scenario possible?

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
BigBallerBrand wrote:
Can we sign Lebron and PG outright, and then trade Deng, Ball, Kuzma, Inbram to SA for Leonard? And then can we afford to keep all 3 going forward?

LOL! If I were the Spurs, I'd say yes to that in a heartbeat. If Bron, Leonard and PG13 were all 26 and below like Bron, Wade and Bosh, then maybe I'd think about it.

Lebron will be 34, Leonard turns 27 in a couple of months, PG13 will be 28. Your window is much smaller than the Heat, and 34 yrs old Lebron is still your best player? If you can legitimately tell me Bron is the 3rd best player of this bunch, then again, maybe I''d think about it. But the dude is the best player of the trio. Your whole "future," a very tiny future is dependent on Bron.

Nonsense.

It’s a circular argument. George wants to come to get away from Westbrook but would still be Lebron’s understudy. No difference. Leonard is the Spurs top man but wants to be our 2nd/3rd guy? It all seems like fan mental gymnastics.

I think PG13 would rather do that in LA than OKC? If he has to be a 2nd option, I think he would choose to do that in his home town (which he has repeatedly expressed publicly).

Plus, being LeBron’s sidekick would be a lot different from being Westbrook’s, especially in Luke’s offense. LeBron and Westbrook are similar in terms of their all-around game, but LeBron is looking for a lesser load at this stage of his career, especially after this season where his workload was exacerbated by not having a true sidekick at all this year.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Why does Kawhi always look like he just got out of bed
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Why do we need all 3 of those guys?
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:

What if the Heat had said that in 2010, or the Warriors in 2016?
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Lebron is 33 and we don't know how many elite years he has left. It's really a gamble with him. I'd rather have Leonard + PG13 to go along with Randle. That way, we can have a long window of title contention. Leonard was arguably the best all around player in the NBA last season, and he plays defense as well as offense.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Judah wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Lebron is 33 and we don't know how many elite years he has left. It's really a gamble with him. I'd rather have Leonard + PG13 to go along with Randle. That way, we can have a long window of title contention. Leonard was arguably the best all around player in the NBA last season, and he plays defense as well as offense.

Having both Kawhi and PG doesn't make LeBron useless. It's about building the strongest team possible. Will LeBron decline the next few years? Sure, but ”decline” doesn't have to mean the same thing as ”ineffective.” Shaq was obviously starting to decline by the 02-03 season, but he was still an effective enough player to be runner-up for MVP in 04-05. LeBron will gradually decline, but he’ll still be an effective player. Besides, having two of the best two-way players in the league as his running-mates would enable you to get the most out of him (on both ends) since his workload wouldn't be so burdensome. I would also expect Luke to keep his minutes down (which the team could afford due to having so much firepower). That would keep him fresh and playing at a high level (again, on both ends). If you have Kawhi and Paul George, I don't think adding LeBron would make the team worse

Also, keep in mind that even though he’ll gradually decline as a player, he's at the stage of his career where his basketball IQ and the way he thinks about the game is arguably his most lethal attribute. He’s great enough to dominate games mentally.
JPaulK0n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject:

If Maginka get both LeBron & PG, they aren't going to wait for the young talent to become elite players, it would immediately be about winning now, especially with LeBron. For a player of Kawhi's caliber, who would be up there as the best perimeter player to be traded in his prime probably ever, if he wants to come here, you make it happen ASAP. LeBron, Kawhi, & PG would be the greatest offseason ever, even better than Jerry West's 1996 arguably.

Last edited by JPaulK0n on Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject:

JPaulK0n wrote:
If Maginka get both LeBron & PG, they aren't going to wait for the young talent to become elite players, it would immediately be about winning now, especially with LeBron. For a player of Kawhi caliber, who would be up there as the best perimeter player to be traded in his prime probably ever, if he wants to come here, you make it happen ASAP. LeBron, Kawhi, & PG would be the greatest offseason ever, even better than Jerry West's 1996 arguably.

Agreed
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject:

JPaulK0n wrote:
If Maginka get both LeBron & PG, they aren't going to wait for the young talent to become elite players, it would immediately be about winning now, especially with LeBron. For a player of Kawhi caliber, who would be up there as the best perimeter player to be traded in his prime probably ever, if he wants to come here, you make it happen ASAP. LeBron, Kawhi, & PG would be the greatest offseason ever, even better than Jerry West's 1996 arguably.

agreed, especially our young talents are ain't all that to begin with. i see Kuz as a borderline all star, and Lonzo is just too inconsistent to gauge at this point.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject:

JPaulK0n wrote:
If Maginka get both LeBron & PG, they aren't going to wait for the young talent to become elite players, it would immediately be about winning now, especially with LeBron. For a player of Kawhi's caliber, who would be up there as the best perimeter player to be traded in his prime probably ever, if he wants to come here, you make it happen ASAP. LeBron, Kawhi, & PG would be the greatest offseason ever, even better than Jerry West's 1996 arguably.

Couldn't be more wrong. That's not how Magic sees it at all:

“We had to show that we have really good young players, and we did that,” Johnson says. “That’s what guys and their agents want to see: ‘If I put my talent with your talent, can we win?’ I think we proved you can.” Beyond the Oklahoma City and Miami models, Johnson admires another blueprint, in Boston. “Kyrie Irving got with young, talented players,” Johnson says. “It’s not that you have to have a Big Three anymore. You have to have young horses to go with a superstar or two.”
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject:

I'd go for PG and Kawhi and forget LeBron exists.

Although if you did that I would wonder what if with my Pacers because they drafted both those guys and they never played together.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject:

Ya, the Lebron/PG13 pipe was basic. This is more like it.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject:

So we would have a team consisting of three small forwards plus filler? That would be an interesting experiment, but I'd rather let some other team be the guinea pig.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject:

Lakers shifting focus to trading for Kawhi Leonard this summer

Quote:
“I think they go in hard for Leonard once the season is over and once the dust settles in San Antonio,” one executive told Sporting News. “(Leonard) wants to go to LA. There probably won’t be public demands on that, but he has leverage. He is going to be a free agent (in 2019). He’s an LA guy and he can just let teams know he won’t re-sign next year with anyone but the Lakers.”

https://lakersoutsiders.com/2018/04/19/rlakers-focus-trade-spurs-kawhi-leonard-this-summer/
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject:

Same source, same quote, over and over. Some dude says it and now apparently it's the Lakers' game plan! I doubt they trade the farm for KL, especially since he played 8 games. You could be dealing with IT all over again. If you can get a free agent max for FREE and keep your assets, that's the best game plan. KL can then show us how healthy he is next year, then he can come here for FREE in the summer of 19. That's the mindset the Lakers have to have. That's the only way they can have a shot at getting KL this summer without giving up the farm. They have to let San Antonio know that they can wait, and for San Antonio to take it or leave it! Magic has to say, "We'll give you Ingram, and I mean Andre. We'll give you Ball, and I mean Li'Angelo with the 47th pick. And we'll give you Kyle, and by that I mean this Funko South Park Kyle figure here. Take it or leave it."
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject:

Byron Scott was talking about Kawhi to LA. Now I wish I didn't have to talk about Byron Scott, but he's Magic's gym partner. So...
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:

agreed, especially our young talents are ain't all that to begin with. i see Kuz as a borderline all star, and Lonzo is just too inconsistent to gauge at this point.

Kuzma can’t start but fans have him as a borderline all star?
JOENESS
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject:

100% possible
hdtvset
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject:

If the Lakers are going to pack the young core to trade for Leonard, how about trading the young core for Anthony Davis or Giannis Antetokounmpo?
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Lakers shifting focus to trading for Kawhi Leonard this summer

Quote:
“I think they go in hard for Leonard once the season is over and once the dust settles in San Antonio,” one executive told Sporting News. “(Leonard) wants to go to LA. There probably won’t be public demands on that, but he has leverage. He is going to be a free agent (in 2019). He’s an LA guy and he can just let teams know he won’t re-sign next year with anyone but the Lakers.”

https://lakersoutsiders.com/2018/04/19/rlakers-focus-trade-spurs-kawhi-leonard-this-summer/

To be fair, these quotes mean nothing. A unanimous GM? What the heck would a GM from Minnesota or Orlando know about what kawhi is thinking....
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:30 am    Post subject:

hdtvset wrote:
If the Lakers are going to pack the young core to trade for Leonard, how about trading the young core for Anthony Davis or Giannis Antetokounmpo?

I would honestly trade anyone on our team for Anthony Davis.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: