Is a Lebron PG13 and Leonard scenario possible?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject:

Yes it’s possible but would require shipping off some of the young core and Deng and probably letting Randle go. Most likely unlikely scenario in which this happens IMO is:
BI/Kuz/Clev 1st/Deng for Kawhi then sign Lebron and PG
Lonzo/PG/Kawhi/Lebron/Lopez
That leaves Hart as the 6th man but a pretty thin bench around him. Personally, I’ll risk a short bench and losing out on BI/Kuz to make this happen. This is a title contender for the next 5 years.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Your position to recruit elite talent improves when you can say, "we have a young core AND an all star in PG13. Come join us."

We've only been able to promise a bunch of unproven youngsters the last time we had cap space in 2016.

And that is what we have now with the exception of Randle, who is somewhat proven.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Your position to recruit elite talent improves when you can say, "we have a young core AND an all star in PG13. Come join us."

We've only been able to promise a bunch of unproven youngsters the last time we had cap space in 2016.

Exactly. The Lakers look so much better with PG on its roster.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

And that is what we have now with the exception of Randle, who is somewhat proven.

I think the young core they have of Lonzo, BI, Kuz, and Hart is far superior to Russell, Clarkson, Nance, and the version of Randle that existed back then. They're a much more attractive group to play with. I don't even think it's close.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I think the young core they have of Lonzo, BI, Kuz, and Hart is far superior to Russell, Clarkson, Nance, and the version of Randle that existed back then. They're a much more attractive group to play with. I don't even think it's close.

Absolutely. Their run in January/February certainly caught the attention of many basketball fans. Compared to 2016, when we had such uncertainty, we're in a different world. Plus, I think Magic/Pelinka bring a lot of closer ability to the table over Jim/Mitch.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Judah wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Absolutely. Their run in January/February certainly caught the attention of many basketball fans. Compared to 2016, when we had such uncertainty, we're in a different world. Plus, I think Magic/Pelinka bring a lot of closer ability to the table over Jim/Mitch.

Yup. All that. Not to mention Luke coming into his own as a coach. They missed the playoffs, sure, but the defensive improvement was staggering, which doesn't happen without excellent coaching. They actually have an identity and a system. Things are different by leaps and bounds compared to 2016 in huge ways. It wouldn't be a huge shock to see a star sign up.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Judah wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yup. All that. Not to mention Luke coming into his own as a coach. They missed the playoffs, sure, but the defensive improvement was staggering, which doesn't happen without excellent coaching. They actually have an identity and a system. Things are different by leaps and bounds compared to 2016 in huge ways. It wouldn't be a huge shock to see a star sign up.

Also, what makes the roadmap a bit clearer is the surprising season from Kuz and Hart, both making under 2m/year for the next few years. That's a game changer IMO to have 2 starter quality players for that cheap.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject:

lakers4life78 wrote:
Leonard missed the entire year with an injury essentially. Something that quietly isn't discussed. Maybe he comes back 100%, but last time Lakers traded for a guy coming off an injury was Howard, and he wasn't the same.

And IT.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Judah wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Judah wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Also, what makes the roadmap a bit clearer is the surprising season from Kuz and Hart, both making under 2m/year for the next few years. That's a game changer IMO to have 2 starter quality players for that cheap.

Yes yes and yes to all of this. Night and day difference from 2016. I have a lot of optimism for this core. Luke is coaching D and a fun fast paced offense. Kuz and Hart were major late round scores on great contracts. Magic>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jim Buss.

And I think that Ingram and Lonzo league altering players. Both are hard workers with incredible upside. I have never seen a rookie be as effective on D as Z and BI made massive strides in his second season. We could be looking at a 5-10 year window of playoffs with this group.
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Yes it’s possible but would require shipping off some of the young core and Deng and probably letting Randle go. Most likely unlikely scenario in which this happens IMO is:
That leaves Hart as the 6th man but a pretty thin bench around him. Personally, I’ll risk a short bench and losing out on BI/Kuz to make this happen. This is a title contender for the next 5 years.

You would still have the mid level exception. It would be shame to lose Randle for nothing. Like S&T of Randle, Hart and Deng plus Cleve. 1st for Kawhi. Replacing Hart with Kuzma would also be an option.

If you get PG, Kawhi, Lebron, BI and Ball you have a championship caliber team. You still have a mid level exception and either Kuzma or Hart. To me this would be by far the best case that we could hope for.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject:

oldlakerfan wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

You would still have the mid level exception. It would be shame to lose Randle for nothing. Like S&T of Randle, Hart and Deng plus Cleve. 1st for Kawhi. Replacing Hart with Kuzma would also be an option.

If you get PG, Kawhi, Lebron, BI and Ball you have a championship caliber team. You still have a mid level exception and either Kuzma or Hart. To me this would be by far the best case that we could hope for.

I doubt the Spurs would give us Kawhi without getting BI or Lonzo in return. They would have to really love Kuzma to do that.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Maybe better than what we had before (and the jury is still out on Ingram and Ball due to injuries), and that would be good if we were counting on their development, but not so much when attracting stars in their primes.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject:

oldlakerfan wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

Quote:

the mid level exception.

The Room Exception since they are using cap space for free agent signings.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: