Is Randle Fools Gold?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Fools Gold?
Yes
19%
 19%  [ 30 ]
No
57%
 57%  [ 88 ]
Unsure
23%
 23%  [ 36 ]
Total Votes : 154

LawyerShawn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:51 am    Post subject: Is Randle Fools Gold?

Randle has played well. And he can continue to improve.

But there are a few factors of concern.

(1) It's a contract year.

(2) Difficult to position him. Can't play center full time without length, and can't play PF full time without range.

(3) How effective is his "bully ball" style in the playoffs, when team defenses increase?

What do you think?
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: Is Randle Fools Gold?

LawyerShawn wrote:
Difficult to position him. Can't play center full time without length, and can't play PF full time without range.

This is nonsense. As long as he can extend to 15 feet (which he can), and rebound (check), and defend (check), 3-point shooting (which is presumably what you meant) is superfluous.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: Is Randle Fools Gold?

MickMgl wrote:
LawyerShawn wrote:
Difficult to position him. Can't play center full time without length, and can't play PF full time without range.

This is nonsense. As long as he can extend to 15 feet (which he can), and rebound (check), and defend (check), 3-point shooting (which is presumably what you meant) is superfluous.

Everything else aside, he can't extend to 15 ft. He shoots 38% from 3-10 ft, and 35% from 10-16 ft. He's at 73% inside of 3 ft, which is his bread and butter.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Is Randle Fools Gold?

LawyerShawn wrote:

(2) Difficult to position him. Can't play center full time without length, and can't play PF full time without range.

(3) How effective is his "bully ball" style in the playoffs, when team defenses increase?

What do you think?

people can like it or hate it...but they are questions that I am sure will be discussed in El Segundo. Personally, I am not worried about #1.....and not #2 as long as you have the right players around him....but it can limit roster versatility, but #3 is definitely a concern of mine. In the regular season, teams/players claim to try to take away what a player does best....in the playoffs, good teams/players often do take away what a player/team does best. If bully ball is limited, what is Randle's counter to remain effective?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:44 am    Post subject:

Work ethic has never been a question with Randle.

The fact some people don't want to grasp a player getting consistently better and instead want to attribute it to "well he tried this time." shows how little credit they actually want to give to their own players.
818fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Is Randle Fools Gold?

LawyerShawn wrote:

What do you think?

IDK who said it, but Randle is basically playing the role of the 5 while Brolo is the "stretch 4". Brolo being able to stretch the floor has done wonders for Randle.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:07 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Work ethic has never been a question with Randle.

The fact some people don't want to grasp a player getting consistently better and instead want to attribute it to "well he tried this time." shows how little credit they actually want to give to their own players.

I have read every post in this thread....nobody has questioned his work ethic?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:31 am    Post subject:

He's a tough call. He's an undersized PF/C who played well during the second half of his contract year. The front office needs to assess whether he's a paycheck guy or whether he's a bona fide player who is just figuring it out. None of us can make that assessment from a distance. The front office actually knows the guy, and they need to get it right.

If some team like the Mavs wants to maximize its chances of picking him off, they'll sign him to an offer sheet during the moratorium, and they'll make the terms as much of a poison pill as the rules allow. If they are feeling frugal, they'll sit back and wait. If we expend our cap space on free agents, they'll just pick him off.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
None of us can make that assessment from a distance.

speak for yourself....I am an expert is human assessment from long distances....lots of experience judging those I have no personal relationship with.....
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:00 am    Post subject:

Fools gold might be a bit strong, but I do question his actual fit on championship team. If say we get Lebron and George, how does Randle fit on this team, and at what position? Obviously the lineup would be Ball/George/Ingram/Lebron in the first 4 positions, so what do we do with Randle?

He can't play Center full time. Hes too short and doesn't have the length. He also gets beat by some guys bigger than him still.

There is also something not as discussed much about him and that's him not being a good screener. For some reason hes still bad at pick and rolling for the most part, because of his lack of screen setting. A guy with his athletic ability and strength should be able to set good picks but he doesn't do it consistently.

With all this talk of the team going after at least THREE big time players (Leonard, George, Lebron), I do wonder how could Randle fit in all of this? I would like someone to put a serious arguement to how and why because I almost don't see it at all unless we're assuming he will suddenly known down jumpers, 3s and discover a right hand next season?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:13 am    Post subject:

I think Jules is maximized if he is with a stretch big (i.e. Brook).

He was previously paired up with Mozgov and Hibbert, and that was disastrous.

I don't think you can fully evaluate Jules without knowing who plays "center" next to him.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Obviously the lineup would be Ball/George/Ingram/Lebron in the first 4 positions, so what do we do with Randle?

That's a deeper issue that doesn't get a lot of discussion. However, if we actually manage to sign some of these guys, the front office will need to look at the team composition issues. You really can't plan for that in advance, as you don't know who will really sign with you.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Megaton wrote:
Obviously the lineup would be Ball/George/Ingram/Lebron in the first 4 positions, so what do we do with Randle?

That's a deeper issue that doesn't get a lot of discussion. However, if we actually manage to sign some of these guys, the front office will need to look at the team composition issues. You really can't plan for that in advance, as you don't know who will really sign with you.

If we get PG13/LBJ, I think it's more likely that BI gets traded to add another star, for better or worse.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

speak for yourself....I am an expert is human assessment from long distances....lots of experience judging those I have no personal relationship with.....

Do you have a certificate from any accredited institution, like The Facebook University, or something?
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject:

He's 23 and he works hard. He'll continue to improve for the next 3-5 years, which imo will be regrettable if the Lakers don't find a way to hang on to him.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Do you have a certificate from any accredited institution, like The Facebook University, or something?

Sarcasm doesn't translate well on here.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Is Randle Fools Gold?

LawyerShawn wrote:

What do you think?

bully ball is playoff basketball
WestwoodWizard
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject:

I think he has shown enough work ethic and growth to warrant bringing him back, depending on what offer(s) he receives from other teams around the league. The third concern listed may be valid, but a lot of teams struggled to shut down his inside game this year, and he will very likely continue to improve in that area. If we can get more consistent perimeter shooting, and Randle can continue to improve in his decision making regarding when to put it up and when to kick out, I don't see this as much of a problem.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject:

Depends on contract amount
Depends on who we get
Depends on if he keeps the effort up defensively
Depends on if he wants to stay or go

I'm 50/50 on him
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Is Randle Fools Gold?

VicXLakers wrote:
LawyerShawn wrote:

What do you think?

Bully ball is playoff basketball when you're Shaq. Not when you're undersized for the position.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
He's 23 and he works hard. He'll continue to improve for the next 3-5 years, which imo will be regrettable if the Lakers don't find a way to hang on to him.

I would give that same assessment to most of the young roster.

Strictly as a fan looking for entertainment, I enjoy watching this roster and envisioning the possibilities. Walton and the players are building a entertaining style and work hard on defense. Not sure I can say the same for all the marquee players being discussed. Is the future Iso ball and half assed defense?

Give this young core that 3 years to develop and build chemistry. Keep the guys like Randle that put in the work and do everything they are asked to do. Add free agents when the fit is right. Not the one's that will make the team adjust to them for all the wrong reasons.

IMO future is bright if they let it grow. Randle should be a part of it.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Is Randle Fools Gold?

VicXLakers wrote:
LawyerShawn wrote:

What do you think?

Good point
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject:

A ton of pyrite (scientific name for fool's gold) is worth about 100,000.

An ounce of gold is worth is around 1,300

If you pay 2,000 for an ounce of gold, you paid too much

If you pay 80,000 for a ton of pyrite, you have a good deal.

Randle at the max is too much... 15 million seems about right. If he were 7 feet or had an outside shot, then you can adjust upward.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Fools gold might be a bit strong, but I do question his actual fit on championship team. If say we get Lebron and George, how does Randle fit on this team, and at what position? Obviously the lineup would be Ball/George/Ingram/Lebron in the first 4 positions, so what do we do with Randle?

He can't play Center full time. Hes too short and doesn't have the length. He also gets beat by some guys bigger than him still.

There is also something not as discussed much about him and that's him not being a good screener. For some reason hes still bad at pick and rolling for the most part, because of his lack of screen setting. A guy with his athletic ability and strength should be able to set good picks but he doesn't do it consistently.

With all this talk of the team going after at least THREE big time players (Leonard, George, Lebron), I do wonder how could Randle fit in all of this? I would like someone to put a serious arguement to how and why because I almost don't see it at all unless we're assuming he will suddenly known down jumpers, 3s and discover a right hand next season?

This is actually what I'm most excited about, since it was a gripe the previous season but we saw a HUGE improvement this season. He's been our best roll man and he would only fit that much more with a Bron or PG running PnR with him. I mean damn, imagine Bron and Randle in the PnR, you have to choose between a freight train and a locomotive

Bottom line, he checks every box to me. He has matured greatly, has a winning attitude and has shown no indications of having a "contract year" season. His positives far out weigh his negatives which make him worth the investment. Even if he doesn't live up to what we want him to be he'll be easily moveable being locked up for another 3-4 years.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject:

an efficient scoring PF with no jumpshot is waaay down the list of priorities I think a team needs to be successful.
I only see that working is if he is an over the cap bonus player after we sign other stars who plays staggered minutes so he start and also be the #1 option for the 2nd unit
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6
Jump to: