How would you explain to a pessimist fan that this summers FA won’t the same as in recent years
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: How would you explain to a pessimist fan that this summers FA won’t the same as in recent years

If you had a debate with a negative fan, how would you explain that the New FO is different and then the last regime and that they won’t come up empty in the meetings?

I see a lot of fans say that they won’t be surprised if the same roster came back which in essence would mean that the FO came up dry in the off season.

I wanna see if realistic fans see the great mind that the current FO represents.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject:

I wouldn’t, but I would point out the growth of some of our young players.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: How would you explain to a pessimist fan that this summers FA won’t the same as in recent years

Inspector Gadget wrote:
If you had a debate with a negative fan, how would you explain that the New FO is different and then the last regime and that they won’t come up empty in the meetings?

I see a lot of fans say that they won’t be surprised if the same roster came back which in essence would mean that the FO came up dry in the off season.

I wanna see if realistic fans see the great mind that the current FO represents.

I wouldn't bother debating them.

By the second week of July or so, we'll see if the FO has struck out; signed two top free agents as hoped for; or landed somewhere in-between.

We'll know in about 90 days; until then. Until then, every opinion, positive or negative, is just a guess, a hope or a fear. I wouldn't be surprised by anything, from us coming up dry to us landing two big dish.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject:

Worst case scenario we return our young guys, who probably win 40 games if healthy.

WORST CASE.

No more Moz/Deng panic signings IMO.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Worst case scenario we return our young guys, who probably win 40 games if healthy.

WORST CASE.

No more Moz/Deng panic signings IMO.

Well, worst case is Julius signs an offer sheet w/ another team right at the start of Free Agency, and LeBron and Paul George take their sweet time and eventually reject us after the 3 days to match Julius' offer sheet has elapsed..

Not sure we win 40 games in that scenario.

Luckily I don't think the chance of that happening is all that big
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject:

Pessimism is a choice. As a fan base, we have good reason to be optimistic about this summer, even if Plan A doesn't come to fruition. But it's ultimately up to the individual to be optimistic. But again, it's a choice. If someone would prefer to keep a faithless, doom and gloom outlook, let them be. Just don't allow them to suck you into their pessimistic paradigm because there's zero joy to be found in it.

Be optimistic. Always.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Pessimism is a choice. As a fan base, we have good reason to be optimistic about this summer, even if Plan A doesn't come to fruition. But it's ultimately up to the individual to be optimistic. But again, it's a choice. If someone would prefer to keep a faithless, doom and gloom outlook, let them be. Just don't allow them to suck you into their pessimistic paradigm because there's zero joy to be found in it.

Be optimistic. Always.

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject:

I am really excited about the possibilities we have this summer. I am hopeful we can put together a squad capable of making the playoffs.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject:

I still don't really believe anything big is going to happen in FA for us this summer so I'am not going to try to convince anyone. But you can try to convince me if you're bored

There has been a lot of noise and nothing recently so I just wait and see. Like yinoma said, I'd still be very happy if we just got our guys back. Actually I really don't want anyone to be traded even though I understand the idea behind it.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject:

I'll wait to converse on the subject with whoever actually wants to say their position is what the OP presents.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: How would you explain to a pessimist fan that this summers FA won’t the same as in recent years

Inspector Gadget wrote:

The organization has stopped tanking and the roster has been restocked some.

Would Magic and Pelinka have been able to close deals with Melo or LeBron or LMA etc a few years ago when the tanking campaign to restock the roster was in full swing?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: How would you explain to a pessimist fan that this summers FA won’t the same as in recent years

Bard207 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Would Magic and Pelinka have been able to close deals with Melo or LeBron or LMA etc a few years ago when the tanking campaign to restock the roster was in full swing?

Had we had Magic in the fold, I think he would have sealed the deal with Melo and Monroe, the others were more interested in winning and I don’t think the roster even with Magic and Pelinka would have been desirable cause of lack of talent and youth.

Last edited by Inspector Gadget on Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: How would you explain to a pessimist fan that this summers FA won’t the same as in recent years

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Had we had Magic in the fold, I think he would have sealed the deal with Melo and Monroe, the others were more interested in winning and I don’t think the roster even with Rob and Pelinka would have been desirable cause of lack of talent and youth.

Yes

Because there is a better product to sell than a few seasons ago.

Philadelphia and LA took deep dives the past several seasons and are bouncing back up. The teams that have been just patching their rosters over the years such as Charlotte, Detroit etc are stuck in the middle with limited to no upside.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: How would you explain to a pessimist fan that this summers FA won’t the same as in recent years

Bard207 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Had we had Magic in the fold, I think he would have sealed the deal with Melo and Monroe, the others were more interested in winning and I don’t think the roster even with Rob and Pelinka would have been desirable cause of lack of talent and youth.

Yes

Philadelphia and LA took deep dives the past several seasons and are bouncing back up. The teams that have been just patching their rosters over the years such as Charlotte, Detroit etc are stuck in the middle with limited to no upside.

Yep, part of the reason why I think another reason of blowing up old FO and bringing in a new 1 is because the new regime knows more about the new CBA and how to construct and gather valuable assets.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:

Be optimistic. Always.

Being overly optimistic or overly pessimistic is bad.

Too much optimism can lead you to do stupid things. One study found that overly optimistic people tend to die earlier and become disabled more often -- you can guess why. Of course, too much pessimism can make you miserable.

As far as following sports, whatever floats your boat. The overly pessmistic fan might not be as disappointed if our plans fall through and he might be happier if they pan out because his expectations were lower,

I'm more of a "whatever happens happens" sort. I don't get invested in predictions of future events I have no control over.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject:

I will admit that having been a diehard Lakers fan even through this last half decade of futility (which used to be measured by not winning rings), I will have a newfound appreciation towards a winning team again.

Having been a 30+ year Lakers fan, sometimes it's a nice jolt to the fan-system to appreciate that again.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: How would you explain to a pessimist fan that this summers FA won’t the same as in recent years

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Yes

Yep, part of the reason why I think another reason of blowing up old FO and bringing in a new 1 is because the new regime knows more about the new CBA and how to construct and gather valuable assets.

Of course that isn’t true but when has the truth ever stopped you?
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: How would you explain to a pessimist fan that this summers FA won’t the same as in recent years

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Yes

Seems like Larry Coon mentioned that through his interactions across the league, he could see that the LA FO wasn't current* on some things.

Why new Charlotte Hornets GM Mitch Kupchak says he's undecided on rebuilding team

Quote:

He values analytics, but not over instinct

“Gut instinct has been a big part of talent evaluation: watching the player, watching the player walking to the bench, how he interacts with the coach. Scouting games in person. Those things are the biggest. Over the last 15 years, with the introduction of cameras on top of each building basically like GPS, it’s created a whole new form of data. That creates so much data every night; data uploaded every night and you have to have people to evaluate that data. That’s how the business has really changed.

“Every GM is different (as far as) confirming your instincts as a GM. If it ever was a tie I’d always go to my instincts. Might be 70-30 or 60-40.”

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject:

The fifth time's the charm...?
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject:

First time with two max contracts to offer.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Simply that FA's really, really, care about their confidence in the FO since it's a direct indication of the direction of the team. Two people might have similar strategies but different levels of credibility. Weather it was deserved or not, Jim had a horrible reputation and Mitch was guilty by association. Magic is the polar opposite, pretty much idolized by all current players, and Rob is a guy I wouldn't mind running my business for me.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject:

IIRC we didn't have room for 2 max free agents in past offseasons.
So that's a big difference. Along with the Kuzma and Hart overachieving so far.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
Simply that FA's really, really, care about their confidence in the FO since it's a direct indication of the direction of the team. Two people might have similar strategies but different levels of credibility. Weather it was deserved or not, Jim had a horrible reputation and Mitch was guilty by association. Magic is the polar opposite, pretty much idolized by all current players, and Rob is a guy I wouldn't mind running my business for me.

I really don't believe that. The difference is simply money this time. If Mitch and Jim had ever allocated enough to bring in two top 15/max-level players, which essentially constitutes a new team, rather than ask just one to come in and carry the burden of leading a very crappy team the outcome could have been different.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject:

We're not the same team we've been the past 3 summersL

(1) Better team reputation – 9 more wins than last year, with clearly-improved defense;
(2) Better talent reputation – Noticeable improvement or flat-out surprise years from all of our young core players.
(3) Better FO reputation – Moz trade, TWO great sleeper picks in Hart and Kuz, IT and a 1stRP for spare-parts trade. Maginka got some swag back for the FO.

Last year, we had NO LEVERAGE to swing our cap space with. We still don’t have a ton, but we clearly have more bargaining strength than last year.

And our biggest strength? It’s that we do NOT have to deal this summer.

What do we do if worse comes to worst and we don’t get LBJ or PG?
(a) We re-sign Julius - even at a bit of an overpriced deal to ward off Cuban or some other FA suitor);
(b) We get another potential rotation player with the CLE pick - or maybe even 2 if Ryan West & Co. can pull another rabbit out of some other 2nd-round hat; AND
(c) Our young guys continue to improve.

If all of that happens, and if we avoid serious injuries, then we become a No. 8 or No. 7 playoff team, right in time for the 2019 FA summer.

This is what improvement and legitimate hope look like. We're going to be OK.
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Be honest, you wanted to title this "How would you explain to VLF..."

I'd just say "cool, see you in October! we'll see who turned out right".
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: