What if no major FA's are signed this off-season?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: What if no major FA's are signed this off-season?

After all, George, LeBron and Kawhi all are currently under contract for next season and even though George & LeBron can opt-out, there is no definitive word that they would actually sign with the Lakers. Boogie is injured and I don't see any other "difference makers", meaning the Lakers may be forced to bring most everyone back.

Going back to the 2015-16 season the Lakers won 17 games, in 2016-17 they increased their wins by nine to 26 games (won). This season (2017-2018) they again increased their wins by nine, winning 35 games.

If they returned the same basic group (including Randle, Lopez, KCP and Frye, but not Thomas), with Ingram, Kuzma, Ball, Hart and Randle continuing to develop and perhaps even more important; learning to play together, I think they could be a very exciting team!

I'm reasonably sure that Lopez, KCP and Frye would take 1-year (sorta) balloon deals, which would help preserve the Lakers Cap space to make a run at one or two FA's after the 2018-19 season.

And, I think they could increase their win total (assuming the core can stay healthy) by another 9 or 10 games, getting their win totals up to 45 and very close to the 47 wins that was needed to get into the Western Playoffs this year (in the East 43 wins was enough...).

Winning 45 games and making the playoffs would certainly make potential FA's seriously consider signing here and I'm not quite ready to break-up-the-band!

Thoughts?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject:

Then you can review this?

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=183824&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=250

(though a bit outdated).
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject:

Magic and Rob have been to engaged in this plan to strike out, there gonna get 1 or 2 stars and even 3 if Kawhi comes via trade, I trust the fact that our FO has a big plan.
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Magic and Rob have been to engaged in this plan to strike out, there gonna get 1 or 2 stars and even 3 if Kawhi comes via trade, I trust the fact that our FO has a big plan.

Pelinka has the connections. He's the key to everything. Magic will make the headlines. Pelinka is invaluable to the front office being a former agent.

Everything they've done so far has been the correct play as far as I'm concerned. They're undone much of the wrong Kupchak and Jim Buss did. I know some of the growing pains and 35-47 can be frustrating, but they've always been about this current moment.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject:

I'm confident they won't pull a MozDeng.

They have patience and won't wet the bed.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject:

Then you re-sign Randle and look at other FAs.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Magic and Rob have been too engaged in this plan to strike out, they're gonna get 1 or 2 stars and even 3 if Kawhi comes via trade, I trust the fact that our FO has a big plan

danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Yep. Randle, resign Brook(or a different starting caliber C), back up PG, maybe a flyer on some young wings/guards(Hezonja comes to mind but I know there are others too). Even without superstars that’s a borderline playoff team.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Yep. Randle, resign Brook(or a different starting caliber C), back up PG, maybe a flyer on some young wings/guards(Hezonja comes to mind but I know there are others too). Even without superstars that’s a borderline playoff team.

At the least we should bring back Jules, and structure the rest of the deals to have at least 1 max for 2019.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

At the least we should bring back Jules, and structure the rest of the deals to have at least 1 max for 2019.

Definitely but I think you can do all of that at once. Back up PGs/Brook/young players who haven’t established themselves are gonna be relatively cheap.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Definitely but I think you can do all of that at once. Back up PGs/Brook/young players who haven’t established themselves are gonna be relatively cheap.

Honestly, I don't see the FO blowing long-term cap on non-stars. They will do it at least 1 more time in 2019 if 2018 FAs pass. I'd prefer to only punt 1 max spot if that's the case.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Honestly, I don't see the FO blowing long-term cap on non-stars. They will do it at least 1 more time in 2019 if 2018 FAs pass. I'd prefer to only punt 1 max spot if that's the case.

I think then we should expect a few more non-playoff seasons, hiring one year mercenaries will mess with team chemistry. If that is the case, it better pay off.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject:

I still never got an answer from Mitch and Jim about why they gave player options for Moz and Deng contracts. They compounded a bad mistake and made it a lot worse. Were they that desperate to sign anyone they could get their hands on that they made the contract as player friendly as possible?

I don't think it's possible for Magic and Rob or any GM to repeat that same mistake. The Lakers have plenty of young talents. If they can't sign any marquee FAs, then they can just re-sign their own. Look at Boston, they're a playoff team without their two all-stars. They used their drafted players and it got them to where they are. We don't really need superstars. We just need to utilize what we have. For all I know, we would have made the playoffs this year if we had played better. Lonzo, Ingram, JR just need to step it up.

Last edited by lakersfever714 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject:

I have very little confidence that Leonard will come here via trade. Pop absolutely won't do anything to help us out so any deal along those lines would hurt more than they would help.

I'm only slightly more confident that LBJ will come via FA. Given that I don't think it would be the end of the world if we strike out on that one.

PG13 is a bit more likely but I still wouldn't bet the bank on it. Still if they can reel him in that would be awesome.

If we whiff at all three deals then yeah, I don't mind building on what we've got, which is a borderline playoff team.

Certainly it would be a mistake and overpay on any 2nd tier FAs. Hopefully our new FO will learn from the mistakes of the last regime.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
I still never got an answer from Mitch and Jim about why they gave player options for Moz and Deng contracts. They compounded a bad mistake and made it a lot worse. Were they that desperate to sign anyone they could get their hands on that they made the contract as player friendly as possible?

I don't think it's possible for Magic and Rob or any GM to repeat that same mistake. The Lakers have plenty of young talents. If they can't sign any marquee FAs, then they can just re-sign their own. Look at Boston, they're a playoff team without their two all-stars. They used their drafted players and it got them to where they are. We don't really need superstars. We just need to utilize what we have. For all I know, we would have made the playoffs this year if we had played better. Lonzo, Ingram, JR just need to step it up.

They signed Horford, who was the #2 FA in 2016 (and who is an all star and has played very well for them).
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject:

We bump Portland out of the playoffs!
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I think then we should expect a few more non-playoff seasons, hiring one year mercenaries will mess with team chemistry. If that is the case, it better pay off.

I think with the right role player additions, they’re a playoff team next year without adding a star.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
I have very little confidence that Leonard will come here via trade. Pop absolutely won't do anything to help us out so any deal along those lines would hurt more than they would help.

I'm only slightly more confident that LBJ will come via FA. Given that I don't think it would be the end of the world if we strike out on that one.

PG13 is a bit more likely but I still wouldn't bet the bank on it. Still if they can reel him in that would be awesome.

If we whiff at all three deals then yeah, I don't mind building on what we've got, which is a borderline playoff team.

Certainly it would be a mistake and overpay on any 2nd tier FAs. Hopefully our new FO will learn from the mistakes of the last regime.

I still can’t understand why people are bringing up Pop, RC Buford is the one who’s gonna work the phones and there is a possibility that Pop retires after this year especially with how things have unfolded with Kawhi and his wife.... I think you guys would be very surprised to find out that SA could careless were they trade Kawhi to.... if Leonard and his camp wants LA and LA “Only” then they can’t do anything about it unless they want a disgruntled player on there team... this isn’t like the PG situation...
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject:

PG didn’t say “LA” only... if he did the Pacers would have accepted the Randle built package... but he did not allude to the Lakers being the only team he will play for that is why he was traded to OKC shortly thereafter.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject:

Than they failed just like Mitch and Jimbo but don't trap yourself with crappy contracts like the Heat or previous regime overpaying for JC, Deng, Moz, etc.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

They signed Horford, who was the #2 FA in 2016 (and who is an all star and has played very well for them).

Other than Horford, who else do they have on that team? I'm pretty sure Horford doesn't make that much of a difference. If he did, then the Lakers would only need one star, PG13, in order to yield similar results. Lopez/JR/Ingram/PG13/Lonzo lineup should be a playoff team, even in the West.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Other than Horford, who else do they have on that team? I'm pretty sure Horford doesn't make that much of a difference. If he did, then the Lakers would only need one star, PG13, in order to yield similar results. Lopez/JR/Ingram/PG13/Lonzo lineup should be a playoff team, even in the West.

Horford makes a TON of difference on that team. He's their most dependable veteran, and an all star. One of the top big man defenders who also is able to run an offense.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Horford makes a TON of difference on that team. He's their most dependable veteran, and an all star. One of the top big man defenders who also is able to run an offense.

Horford doesn’t make a difference... ok
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:

I still can’t understand why people are bringing up Pop, RC Buford is the one who’s gonna work the phones and there is a possibility that Pop retires after this year especially with how things have unfolded with Kawhi and his wife.... I think you guys would be very surprised to find out that SA could careless were they trade Kawhi to.... if Leonard and his camp wants LA and LA “Only” then they can’t do anything about it unless they want a disgruntled player on there team... this isn’t like the PG situation...

I think the possibility of Pop retiring this year are pretty slim, and I also don't believe for a minute that he doesn't have any say in trades. Sure, they might consider a Leonard trade to L.A. but we'd better get plenty of lube out cuz we'd get bent over and plowed in the process.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: