What if no major FA's are signed this off-season?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
easybreeze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject:

Whether they get one or two FA next season. The Lakers are not going deep into the playoffs. The first or second round at most.

Seeing how physical some of these games are, BI and Lonzo will be targets with physical play. Their mental toughness will be on display, also.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:
I have very little confidence that Leonard will come here via trade. Pop absolutely won't do anything to help us out so any deal along those lines would hurt more than they would help.

I'm only slightly more confident that LBJ will come via FA. Given that I don't think it would be the end of the world if we strike out on that one.

PG13 is a bit more likely but I still wouldn't bet the bank on it. Still if they can reel him in that would be awesome.

If we whiff at all three deals then yeah, I don't mind building on what we've got, which is a borderline playoff team.

Certainly it would be a mistake and overpay on any 2nd tier FAs. Hopefully our new FO will learn from the mistakes of the last regime.

I still can’t understand why people are bringing up Pop, RC Buford is the one who’s gonna work the phones and there is a possibility that Pop retires after this year especially with how things have unfolded with Kawhi and his wife.... I think you guys would be very surprised to find out that SA could careless were they trade Kawhi to.... if Leonard and his camp wants LA and LA “Only” then they can’t do anything about it unless they want a disgruntled player on there team... this isn’t like the PG situation...

I think the possibility of Pop retiring this year are pretty slim, and I also don't believe for a minute that he doesn't have any say in trades. Sure, they might consider a Leonard trade to L.A. but we'd better get plenty of lube out cuz we'd get bent over and plowed in the process.

I think his wife not being with him is gonna be tough for him to continue coaching, he’s gonna be 69 or 70, the Spurs need to go in full rebuild mode after this year, they can’t afford to keep signing these vets who end up doing nothing for them...

also if a request is made to be traded to a preferred destination then a settlement package will have to be accepted... if Paul George had requested a trade to LA last summer the Pacers wouldn’t have sent him to OKC, that is why this situation could end up being a very good situation for us... I.e. not giving up a ton of value.
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
I still never got an answer from Mitch and Jim about why they gave player options for Moz and Deng contracts. They compounded a bad mistake and made it a lot worse. Were they that desperate to sign anyone they could get their hands on that they made the contract as player friendly as possible?

I don't think it's possible for Magic and Rob or any GM to repeat that same mistake. The Lakers have plenty of young talents. If they can't sign any marquee FAs, then they can just re-sign their own. Look at Boston, they're a playoff team without their two all-stars. They used their drafted players and it got them to where they are. We don't really need superstars. We just need to utilize what we have. For all I know, we would have made the playoffs this year if we had played better. Lonzo, Ingram, JR just need to step it up.

LOL this the type of analysis we coming up with in 2018....

On a more serious note, I personally think all we need to do is get Pg13 this offseason and we can get homecourt next year if everyone remains healthy and Luke limits his stupid substitutions. I will never understand his thought process for starting Larry Nance over Randle, that was one of the most confusing things I have ever witnessed.
jg77
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject:

If no major FA's then I hope we have a starting lineup of:

Zo/Hart/Ingram/Kuz/Randle

And hire some competent assistant coaches that bring more to the organization than positivity.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject:

al242 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
I still never got an answer from Mitch and Jim about why they gave player options for Moz and Deng contracts. They compounded a bad mistake and made it a lot worse. Were they that desperate to sign anyone they could get their hands on that they made the contract as player friendly as possible?

I don't think it's possible for Magic and Rob or any GM to repeat that same mistake. The Lakers have plenty of young talents. If they can't sign any marquee FAs, then they can just re-sign their own. Look at Boston, they're a playoff team without their two all-stars. They used their drafted players and it got them to where they are. We don't really need superstars. We just need to utilize what we have. For all I know, we would have made the playoffs this year if we had played better. Lonzo, Ingram, JR just need to step it up.

On a more serious note, I personally think all we need to do is get Pg13 this offseason and we can get homecourt next year if everyone remains healthy and Luke limits his stupid substitutions. I will never understand his thought process for starting Larry Nance over Randle, that was one of the most confusing things I have ever witnessed.

To motivate Randle to stop playing lazy and selfish. It worked.
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject:

easybreeze wrote:
Whether they get one or two FA next season. The Lakers are not going deep into the playoffs. The first or second round at most.

Seeing how physical some of these games are, BI and Lonzo will be targets with physical play. Their mental toughness will be on display, also.

This is what I am most concerned about with our tissue soft players, Randle is the only player I have confidence with in the playoffs that will be the enforcer.
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
al242 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Randle came into the season motivated, nothing to me said he seemed unmotivated. Even an unmotivated Randle was x10 better than Larry Nance, still made no damn sense. I remember there was a night where Randle got like 10 minutes while Brook and Larry were stinking it up.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject:

al242 wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
al242 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Randle came into the season motivated, nothing to me said he seemed unmotivated. Even an unmotivated Randle was x10 better than Larry Nance, still made no damn sense. I remember there was a night where Randle got like 10 minutes while Brook and Larry were stinking it up.

I disagree. He often took plays off on defense and stopped the ball on offense throughout his young career. Larry didn’t have those problems and I think that was the point Luke was trying to prove to Julius. Then once he gets his starting spot back, he has a career year. That’s no coincidence. With that said, he reverted back to some of his old tendencies late in the year but I’m optimistic that was just because they were hit with injuries and out of playoff contention. We need mid-season Julius to become all season Julius next year.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject:

This team is a playoff team through internal development of BI, Zo, Hart & Kuz plus a re-signed Randle.

I would not be that sad if we don't get LBJ due to his need to play GM.

I think that Paul George will come to LA. He will fit nicely with the team due to his ability to blend in and play within an offense. That said, I am glad that we can only sign him for 4 years. He is peak now and will get worse with age as his contract value goes up.

Per Pop's comments, Leonard won't be traded here. Just like OKC did not trade with us last year. Some teams just won't deal with the Lakers and the spurs are one of them.

I am happy about this for selfish reasons. I am really enjoying watching out young core grow and I don't want to see any players traded. We have done the trading- JC, Nance, DLO. I want to keep our guys together and see what they can do.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Honestly, I like the young players enough at this point that I don't much care about getting FAs. One thing that sucks is that the guys being talked about are all forwards, which is what the team needs the least. Wish there were more good center or shooting guard possibilities out there.
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Absorb them expiring contracts with picks attached!!

Gortat (Wiz are in tax hell), Faried (they need to pay Jokic & Barton) , Bayless (sixers big game hunting). Maybe you can get a young player instead of a future pick (would the Wiz give up Satoransky? a decent backup PG. Maybe a Malik Beasley from Denver? but i'd be happy with a lotto-protected picks)

EDIT* just thought of another "expiring" with George Hill (1m partial guarantee on the last year), if Lebron dumps the Cavs for Houston/Philly and they need to get out of the tax. Take back Larry and another future first rounder (JC, you can stay in Ohio).
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Then the DLo trade was a total blunder.

But, if that happens, you suck it up and dont make any hasty moves.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Ideal scenario

Young core with two elite FAs

2nd best

Young core with one elite FA and punt til next season

3rd best

Young core with no elite FAs

4th best

Three elites with no core (repeat of the Dwight/Nash/Kobe experiment)

Just my opinion.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject:

If PG and Lebron each resist the LAL entreaty, I reckon that the club will attempt a 2017-2018 redux of sorts. That was a focus on development of existing pieces and of keeping near the cap, this time by attempting to:

- re-sign Randle nearer his max than they might otherwise have preferred, if necessary to bring him back.
- let KCP walk.
- re-sign Lopez.

I also think stronger consideration will be given to:

- IT's efficacy in a return performance, this time in KCP's salary slot.
- Frye's efficacy in a Brewer-like salary slot
- creating a trade package of Deng and the draft pick and another guy.
- picking through the third tier FA bucket and the G-League for inexpensive roster filler.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Then the DLO trade was a total blunder.

Just getting out from under Mozgov's contract was practically worth giving up any player on the team...

He only played 11 mins/game in 31 games this season averaging (only) 4.2 points and 3.2 rebounds!

Webster is considering add his photo next to the word "Stiff" in the next edition...
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject:

NO NO NO NO NO

We didn't just trade multiple young talents to strike out. Then the grades for those trades would be multiple Fs. If we strike out, we basically could have Mozgov's expiring and Deng's expiring to work with next summer AND trade a year older Nance/JC/DLo
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
NO NO NO NO NO

We didn't just trade multiple young talents to strike out. Then the grades for those trades would be multiple Fs. If we strike out, we basically could have Mozgov's expiring and Deng's expiring to work with next summer AND trade a year older Nance/JC/DLo

IMO I'm not convinced DLO, JC, and Nance Jr. are ever going to be "great" NBA players. Good maybe, but not great.

If nothing happens this summer then we still have 2019. At that time I suspect we'll have an even stronger argument for superstar FAs to make the move to L.A. I'm definitely not buying into the idea those guys were traded away for nothing and that keeping them would have brought us back to the promised land.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject:

I think the most likely scenario is that we sign George, re-sign Randle to something like 4 years, $72-$80 million and re-sign Lopez to a one year deal. However, assuming we don't get George, we obviously re-sign Randle and then go after a year deal players.

Here are the top shelf players I think may be available for one year deals this summer -

PG - Isaiah Thomas, Jeremy Lin, Rajon Rondo
SGs - KCP, Avery Bradley, Tyreke Evans, J.J. Redick
SFs - Trevor Ariza, Danny Green
PFs - Nikola Mirotic, Rudy Gay
Cs - Brook Lopez, Nerlens Noel, DeAndre Jordan, Greg Monroe

Some (like Jordan or Lin) may not opt out, but those are the guys who may end up without a chair to sit on at the end of the summer and be ready for a one year deal. I wouldn't be surprised if we brought back the same roster next year (including KCP, IT and Lopez) if we don't sign anyone... although I think KCP is the one most likely to go because he'll want more years.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject:

Lin opted in.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject:

and if Lin fans came back to LG, I would leave.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

We never left, still Lin-gering around yin
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:
I have very little confidence that Leonard will come here via trade. Pop absolutely won't do anything to help us out so any deal along those lines would hurt more than they would help.

I'm only slightly more confident that LBJ will come via FA. Given that I don't think it would be the end of the world if we strike out on that one.

PG13 is a bit more likely but I still wouldn't bet the bank on it. Still if they can reel him in that would be awesome.

If we whiff at all three deals then yeah, I don't mind building on what we've got, which is a borderline playoff team.

Certainly it would be a mistake and overpay on any 2nd tier FAs. Hopefully our new FO will learn from the mistakes of the last regime.

I still can’t understand why people are bringing up Pop, RC Buford is the one who’s gonna work the phones and there is a possibility that Pop retires after this year especially with how things have unfolded with Kawhi and his wife.... I think you guys would be very surprised to find out that SA could careless were they trade Kawhi to.... if Leonard and his camp wants LA and LA “Only” then they can’t do anything about it unless they want a disgruntled player on there team... this isn’t like the PG situation...

I think the possibility of Pop retiring this year are pretty slim, and I also don't believe for a minute that he doesn't have any say in trades. Sure, they might consider a Leonard trade to L.A. but we'd better get plenty of lube out cuz we'd get bent over and plowed in the process.

I think his wife not being with him is gonna be tough for him to continue coaching, he’s gonna be 69 or 70, the Spurs need to go in full rebuild mode after this year, they can’t afford to keep signing these vets who end up doing nothing for them...

also if a request is made to be traded to a preferred destination then a settlement package will have to be accepted... if Paul George had requested a trade to LA last summer the Pacers wouldn’t have sent him to OKC, that is why this situation could end up being a very good situation for us... I.e. not giving up a ton of value.

George did want to be traded to the Lakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

I used to say the same thing but nah. Kuzma, Lopez >>> DLO, Mozgov

I hope you don't try to re-litigagte that deal but factually speaking, that was the deal and we won by miles.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I used to say the same thing but nah. Kuzma, Lopez >>> DLO, Mozgov

I hope you don't try to re-litigagte that deal but factually speaking, that was the deal and we won by miles.

Didn't Dlo play like 48 games this season? We won this by a mile by virtue of the fact that the players we got in the trade actually did play most of the season!

ETA:this is starting to look like the bynum trade all over again. Lakers might have dodged a live one with the knee issues.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

If it weren't for Lin fans, I would welcome him back as a backup PG.

But his fans are crazy so no.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: