Would you trade BI for Kawhi?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you trade BI for Kawhi?
Yes
60%
 60%  [ 87 ]
No
40%
 40%  [ 58 ]
Total Votes : 145

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Would you trade BI for Kawhi?

The four best Kawhi Leonard trades we'd like to see

Quote:
Destination: Los Angeles Lakers

Lakers get: Kawhi Leonard

Spurs get: Brandon Ingram

Kevin Pelton: From the Lakers' perspective, I wouldn't be willing to offer any more than Ingram, given the possibility of signing Leonard via free agency next summer. But there is value to getting Leonard a year early, when he still counts just $20.1 million against L.A.'s cap.

As a result, by stretching Luol Deng's contract, the Lakers would have enough flexibility to acquire Leonard, sign a max free agent (say, LeBron James), retain matching rights on restricted free agent Julius Randle and still have an amount similar to the non-taxpayer midlevel exception available to sign another free agent. Perhaps that would be enough to bring back Kentavious Caldwell-Pope on another one-year deal before re-signing him to a long-term contract in the summer of 2019.

Given all that, I think the Lakers could part with Ingram, despite the promise he has shown at age 20.

As other teams would likely offer more players and picks, San Antonio's making this trade would be contingent on the front office believing that Ingram is a far better prospect than anyone else available for Leonard. The Lakers' cap space also enables the Spurs to avoid taking back any bad contracts if this trade is completed after the moratorium, meaning they shed nearly $15 million in 2018-19 payroll. That difference could be used as a massive trade exception to take on salary from teams in the luxury tax.

Alternatively, if Rudy Gay and Danny Green decline player options, San Antonio would be able to create around $30 million in cap space this summer. Or the Spurs could wait and maintain flexibility for the deeper 2019 free-agent class, looking to add a player to a young core built around Ingram and 21-year-old Dejounte Murray.

Plus, if anyone is going to maximize Ingram's development, it's the team that transformed Leonard from the 15th pick into an All-NBA first-teamer.

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject:

Assuming a clean bill of health, yes. Would really hate to see BI go though.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject:

Hell to tha muthaphucking YES
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject:

Uhh YES?
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject:

Surprised Pelton thinks it would only take Ingram and no other assets. The Philly trade he proposed included Fultz, Saric and the 10th pick in the draft. I suppose that says something both about Ingram's value and LA's leverage as a potential preferred FA destination for Kawhi.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject:

No. I think Ingram is being underestimated on his potential growth over the next 2-3+ years.

Also believe the Lakers should be adding talent to the roster not making trades and lateral moves for minimal improvement at this point. Keep Ingram, let him have another year of growth (hopefully with George on the roster) and then pursue Leonard in free agency.

Include salary into the conversation too.

Ingram $6-9M until RFA in 2020.
Leonard Over $20m this year then player option next. Hopefully they can re-sign him for a max? But no guarantees.

Last edited by Four Decade Bandwagon on Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Surprised Pelton thinks it would only take Ingram and no other assets. The Philly trade he proposed included Fultz, Saric and the 10th pick in the draft. I suppose that says something both about Ingram's value and LA's leverage as a potential preferred FA destination for Kawhi.

Yeah, think that Philly package would be tough to turn down. However, that would eat into Philly's ability to get another max player if they did that trade as Fultz/Saric don't match KL's salary.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject:

If our medical staff, says Kawhi is healthy, then 100% yes, you have to.

I love Ingram but Kawhi is a top five player in the league and I can't see Ingram ever getting to that level.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Yeah, think that Philly package would be tough to turn down. However, that would eat into Philly's ability to get another max player if they did that trade as Fultz/Saric don't match KL's salary.

if that Philly package is on the table, and the Spurs are trading Kawhi....they choose that over Ingram 100 out of 100 times in my opinion.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Getting into a bidding war with a well stocked team is another reason to avoid Leonard at this point.

That would be a lot to give up for the 76ers, but would they be looking for another max player if Leonard is added to current roster? Doesn't Riddick come off the books and create some cap space too?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Getting into a bidding war with a well stocked team is another reason to avoid Leonard at this point.

That would be a lot to give up for the 76ers, but would they be looking for another max player if Leonard is added to current roster? Doesn't Riddick come off the books and create some cap space too?

Honestly, I think the 76ers have 2 stars, and I would continue adding shooters around them and getting a reliable backup center (for Embiid).

They would likely loss JJ/Bellineli/Sova if they traded for KL, as well as the players traded out.

I know Brett Brown was close with Pop and the Spurs, so not sure if he would push for a KL or not.

It's the unbelievable shooting (JJ was the high scorer last night) + Simmons/Embiid that is making the 76ers difficult to beat.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject:

Yep - depending on the supporting pieces.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject:

It would be heartbreaking to see BI leave, but it's also hard to say no to kawhi.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject:

55 wrote:
It would be heartbreaking to see BI leave, but it's also hard to say no to kawhi.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject:

all day every day if KL passes the physical
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

if that Philly package is on the table, and the Spurs are trading Kawhi....they choose that over Ingram 100 out of 100 times in my opinion.

come to think of it....screw Kawhi....I would probably send Ingram to Philly for that package....I would have a young extremely high ceiling back court in Ball & Fultz which could be around for a decade or more...I get a 20 year old PF that will be starter level talent for another decade or longer.....and I use that 10th pick on a versatile player like Mikal or Miles Bridges. Hopefully sign PG and Randle......that is a team that is young, talented, and has a load of assets to maybe go after AD if he comes on the market.

Damn, Philly is in a great position right now.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject:

Nope. This would be a shortsighted and un-necessary move.

We can have both BI and Leonard. BI will be a special player in the league, IMO his upside is higher than Leonard.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

come to think of it....screw Kawhi....I would probably send Ingram to Philly for that package....I would have a young extremely high ceiling back court in Ball & Fultz which could be around for a decade or more...I get a 20 year old PF that will be starter level talent for another decade or longer.....and I use that 10th pick on a versatile player like Mikal or Miles Bridges. Hopefully sign PG and Randle......that is a team that is young, talented, and has a load of assets to maybe go after AD if he comes on the market.

Damn, Philly is in a great position right now.

Yes they are. It's my adopted hometown after LA (went to college in Philly) so I've been following the 76ers for a while. Bittersweet to see them have two legit stars right now.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject:

I love Ingram as a Laker. I feel he's taken harsh criticism from LG after the front office chose him over DLO. He's the only player here who's been constantly under the scrutiny of the analytics microscope. The flashes should be enough for us, but for some reason we are out for blood. I love Ingram toughness, especially after he gets hit. I love his ability to play point forward. I think he's only 30% unlocked.

With that said, Yes, I would trade Ingram for Kawhi instantaneously. Assuming the only others assets aren't Ball, Kuzma, or Hart. I know Pelton's trade is highly unlikely, but yes, I'd do it. If healthy, you're getting a Finals
MVP, who can score like Kobe, play within a motion offense, and can defend Prime Lebron and Prime Harden. It also means we could possibly get Paul George in free agency. George is the same height as BI and plays the same position. George could play the 3 and Kawhi the 2. George would have to be a number 1, which he's not. We can also still develop Kuzma, Hart, and Ball with very little restriction on their playing time.

Keep in mind though, if Ingram reaches his full potential, he'll be a better player than George, based on his ability to drive and make plays for others. He may never be good as Kawhi though.

Last edited by AFireInside619 on Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject:

Pretty much in line with what others have said, assuming Kawhi is fully healthy and no issues then easy answer is yes.

Having said that, there are 2 issues as to why I don’t see it:

1. Spurs will ask for two of Kuzma/Ball/Ingram imo and there is the bitter rivalry from the past factor with Pop.

2. The Lakers FO and coaching staff loves Ingram. I can’t remember, but I want to say it was Pincus in a tweet or on Hollywood Hoops podcast said that Magic really loves Ingram. If I’m wrong, sorry Eric.

Last edited by LakerSD on Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject:

Yes, as long as he is healthy. I would also include a 1st round pick, but that is as far as I would go.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Pretty much in line with what others have said, assuming Kawhi is fully healthy and no issues then easy answer is yes.

Having said that, there are 2 issues as to why I don’t see it:

1. Spurs will ask for two of Kuzma/Ball/Ingram imo and there is the bitter rivalry from the past factor with Pop.

2. The Lakers FO and coaching staff loves Ingram. I can’t remember, but I want to say it was Pincus in a tweet or on Hollywood Hoops podcast said that Magic really loves Ingram. If I’m wrong, sorry Eric.

Magic won't give away the farm for a player with only one year left on his contract and coming off of a year long injury. It is just not a wise long term move for the franchise.

Magic will and should offer up some draft picks and Zubac or something like that.

And honestly Pop would not make the deal even if it does include BI because the Spurs do not want to help the Lakers. Just like Indy would not make a deal with us for Paul George.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Honestly, I think the 76ers have 2 stars, and I would continue adding shooters around them and getting a reliable backup center (for Embiid).

They would likely loss JJ/Bellineli/Sova if they traded for KL, as well as the players traded out.

I know Brett Brown was close with Pop and the Spurs, so not sure if he would push for a KL or not.

It's the unbelievable shooting (JJ was the high scorer last night) + Simmons/Embiid that is making the 76ers difficult to beat.

IMO the 76ers are a couple seasons in front of the Lakers in their rebuilding process. They have stockpiled, developed and made some solid signings. They have options.

Lakers have stockpiled but still need to develop. They also have the money to add "perfect fit" professionals to the roster to help the process. I'm being stubborn... give this Laker team another season or two to tweak the roster and improve.

IMO giving Walton and the coaches a couple seasons to establish system continuity will be huge. Magic needs a couple more moves in the draft and free agency to the maximize roster. And most importantly the young core needs a couple seasons together to work themselves into professionals instead of underdeveloped and inexperienced young men.

Lakers are on the crossroads. Just depends on how they choose to move forward. Marquee in now acquisitions or slow growth development over the the next 2-3 years. Fascinating to watch them make the decisions.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
I love Ingram as a Laker. I feel he's taken harsh criticism from LG after the front office chose him over DLO. He's the only player here who's been constantly under the scrutiny of the analytics microscope. The flashes should be enough for us, but for some reason we are out for blood. I love Ingram toughness, especially after he gets hit. I love his ability to play point forward. I think he's only 30% unlocked.

It’s unbelievable. I could see him being looked at favorably after he is traded (if he does get moved). Laker nostalgia, if you will.

The dude takes a lot of crap for something that was not his decision.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject:

When healthy. Kwame is a top 5 player and a DPOY candidate, so I think it's a no brainer to say yes, because Ingram may never reach that point in his career.

However, I don't think Ingram is done growing as a player, and what I can say is that Ingram was better than Kawhi at the same age. He's got a long way to go.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6
Jump to: