Barkley: Why are people moving Lebron past Kobe?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 32, 33, 34  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject:

george w kush wrote:
P.K. wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
P.K. wrote:
Batguano wrote:

BTW, MJ himself says that Kobe is the only one that would beat him one-on-one.

Go watch the video of MJ saying that.
It's totally tongue in cheek - and MJ is dissing Kobe for not being original enough that he (Kobe) had to steal all of MJ's moves

context actually matters

I wouldn’t consider it a diss. Good natured ribbing. They have a totally good relationship.

Diss or good natured ribbing - either way, it was 100% obvious that MJ wasn't serious when he said Kobe [paraphrased] "I'd beat them all {lists several other players}, {dramatic pause} except Kobe because he stole all my moves"
Batguano is completely misrepresenting that quote and trying to imply it means "MJ said Kobe is better" - which is a complete falsehood when taken in context

Here's a link the video

it's also worth noting that at about the 1:50 mark MJ says "I'm the best player in the world"
which certainly doesn't sound like MJ thinks ANYBODY is better than himself.

the part that leads into the "Kobe stole all my moves" begins right after that

Funny thing is LeBron would beat both of them in a one on one game due to his height advantage, athleticism and strength. Kobe would probably get the worst of it though. We all know when someone plays aggressive defense on him he can be forced into taking bad shots:

I wouldn't predict that as a sure thing. MJ might have something to say about it, and his competitiveness was 10x higher than either of the other 2.

I would, however, pay $500 to see a double elimination tourney between all 3 of them - in their primes, of course
I'd suspect ESPN would pay upwards of $300 million for the rights to that also
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
misterioso
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
This is still going...

Yeah, beyond boring...
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject:

george w kush wrote:
P.K. wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
P.K. wrote:
Batguano wrote:

It's totally tongue in cheek - and MJ is dissing Kobe for not being original enough that he (Kobe) had to steal all of MJ's moves

context actually matters

I wouldn’t consider it a diss. Good natured ribbing. They have a totally good relationship.

Diss or good natured ribbing - either way, it was 100% obvious that MJ wasn't serious when he said Kobe [paraphrased] "I'd beat them all {lists several other players}, {dramatic pause} except Kobe because he stole all my moves"
Batguano is completely misrepresenting that quote and trying to imply it means "MJ said Kobe is better" - which is a complete falsehood when taken in context

Here's a link the video

it's also worth noting that at about the 1:50 mark MJ says "I'm the best player in the world"

Funny thing is LeBron would beat both of them in a one on one game due to his height advantage, athleticism and strength. Kobe would probably get the worst of it though. We all know when someone plays aggressive defense on him he can be forced into taking bad shots:

Wrong again.

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Mods -- I have a serious suggestion.

1. Create a permanent Official Kobe Appreciation Thread. Let the Kobe fans post to their hearts' content, and boot anyone who wants to troll them. If Kobe does something newsworthy (wins a showbiz award, writes a book, or whatever), that's different. Everything else should go in the official thread.

2. Require any GOAT threads, including Kobe vs. MJ or Kobe vs. Lebron, to go into the General forum.

This won't stop the problem, but at least it will reduce the amount of trolling by and against Kobe fans.
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
george w kush wrote:
P.K. wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
P.K. wrote:
Batguano wrote:

context actually matters

Here's a link the video

Wrong again.

That's supposed to prove something? OK, two can play at it:

@ some of those shots Kobe was taking.

And yeah great comparison with Kobe being in his prime and Lebron not even there yet, playing with Mo Williams as his #2.

Much better comparison would be Kobe in 06-08 to Lebron 2013-current. LeBron will just out muscle him in the post and blow right by him for in easy layup, just like he does against everyone else. How is Kobe supposed to stop that? The dude is a freight train. Lebron would just force Kobe to take contested jumpers all day like we have seen others players do to Kobe before(Bowen, Prince, Battier, etc...
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:
george w kush wrote:
P.K. wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
P.K. wrote:
Batguano wrote:

context actually matters

Here's a link the video

I wouldn't predict that as a sure thing. MJ might have something to say about it, and his competitiveness was 10x higher than either of the other 2.

I would, however, pay $500 to see a double elimination tourney between all 3 of them - in their primes, of course
I'd suspect ESPN would pay upwards of $300 million for the rights to that also

Maybe, I just don't see how Jordan is going to be able to stop Lebron defensively due to his size and strength. Neither Jordan or Kobe have the size or strength to use a post game against him. I do think Jordan would put up a better challenge simply for the fact that Jordan is a smarter player than Kobe when it comes to shot selection.
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Here's something interesting, Kobe vs Lebron when facing each other:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id1_hint=lebron+James&player_id1_select=LeBron+James&player_id1=jamesle01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=kobe+Bryant&player_id2_select=Kobe+Bryant&player_id2=bryanko01&idx=players

LeBron scores more PPG, better FG%, more rebounds, more assists, more steals, more blocks. Kobe has a better FT % and slightly better 3 point FG%

As far as wins vs losses, Kobe's record is 6-16 against Lebron

It's rather interesting that certain posters in this thread use Lebron playing in the East as an excuse for getting to the finals year after year, yet Lebron spanked Kobe's team(a Western Conference team) most of the time they played each other.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject:

george w kush wrote:
Here's something interesting, Kobe vs Lebron when facing each other:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id1_hint=lebron+James&player_id1_select=LeBron+James&player_id1=jamesle01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=kobe+Bryant&player_id2_select=Kobe+Bryant&player_id2=bryanko01&idx=players

LeBron scores more PPG, better FG%, more rebounds, more assists, more steals, more blocks. Kobe has a better FT % and slightly better 3 point FG%

As far as wins vs losses, Kobe's record is 6-16 against Lebron

It's rather interesting that certain posters in this thread use Lebron playing in the East as an excuse for getting to the finals year after year, yet Lebron spanked Kobe's team(a Western Conference team) most of the time they played each other.

Because facing each other's teams is the same as facing each other one-on-one...

Love how triggered you've been throughout this entire thread. You can't even enjoy your GOAT having his greatest post-season run without Kobe living rent-free in that dome of yours.

And that video you posted was mostly LeBron plays on the Lakers, with very few plays on Kobe. Which is why you linked to that specific time-stamp in the video, instead of just letting the video speak for itself.

So regular season matchup win-loss records matter in the GOAT discussion, but Finals record doesn't? Hoooo'K......
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:

Because facing each other's teams is the same as facing each other one-on-one...

What's the matters? Not liking the numbers very much? BTW, of those games Lebron was 7-3 against Kobe when he was in his prime and Lebron wasn't, and was playing with Mo Williams.

Quote:
Love how triggered you've been throughout this entire thread. You can't even enjoy your GOAT having his greatest post-season run without Kobe living rent-free in that dome of yours.

Triggered? I'm not the one spending hours digging up quotes from 20 years ago to defend a retired player. I think you're triggered by the fact that Kobe isn't being mentioned in the media AT ALL about the GOAT talk.

Quote:
And that video you posted was mostly LeBron plays on the Lakers, with very few plays on Kobe. Which is why you linked to that specific time-stamp in the video, instead of just letting the video speak for itself.

And what did all of those shots amount to? 42% FG shooting? That's an accomplishment? He made a couple of shots, and missed a lot more where as Lebron made nearly half of his shots. Just another example of why Lebron is a better player, Kobe will force up shots on a big name player to prove a point, where as Lebron will do the smarter thing and get a more efficient shot, all the while getting more board, assists, steals and blocks. That's why you start a team with Lebron and not Kobe.

Quote:
So regular season matchup win-loss records matter in the GOAT discussion, but Finals record doesn't? Hoooo'K......

More like Jordan and Lebron matter in the GOAT discussion, and Kobe doesn't. And a Finals record only matters to Kobe fans as most people realize a NBA Finals isn't won by a single player on the team. BTW Lebron had 3 rings playing without Shaq, Kobe has 2.

BTW can you explain to me how Kobe is 3-7 playing against Lebron's early Cavs teams when he was playing with Larry Hughes and Mo Williams? I will await your answer.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject:

I really liked this quote from Phil as I've been saying it for years, so it feels good to hear him confirm it

Quote:
Phil Jackson (May 24th, 2013):

[Jordan or Kobe?]

"I would flip a coin," Jackson said. "Whichever one came up heads or tails, I'd take that person. They were that good."

Source:
http://content.time.com/time/video/player/0,32068,2404524849001_2144159,00.html

It would be like pulling teeth for me to definitively choose one over the other. Also notice that whenever the great basketball minds discuss these players, they are often talking about specific qualities, and not oozing over impressive stats and metrics since they don't tell the whole story. Just food for thought
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject:

I provided plenty of recent quotes putting Kobe in the GOAT conversation but of course hyperbole and outright lying to yourself is the easier choice for you.
GP1_KB24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject:

Kobe deserves a seat at the table but what LBJ has done this year I don't think it's even a debate anymore.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:38 am    Post subject:

GP1_KB24 wrote:
Kobe deserves a seat at the table but what LBJ has done this year I don't think it's even a debate anymore.

LOL. I would love to see if Bron could dominate the Spurs and the Kings of early 2000s when Lakers won 3 ships back to back to back.

But oh well. you probably thoght the 2018 Eastern top teams are as good as the Spurs and the Kings and the Blazers of early 2000s.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject:

GP1_KB24 wrote:

What has Lebron done? Barely beat a Pacer team who's best player is....Oladipo? Spanks a sorry Raptors team and barely beats a team lead by rookie Jason Tatum who was missing his two best teammates...finally is playing an actually (even though missing their best perimeter defender) and getting smoked yet again.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject:

moonriver24 wrote:
GP1_KB24 wrote:

LOL. I would love to see if Bron could dominate the Spurs and the Kings of early 2000s when Lakers won 3 ships back to back to back.

But oh well. you probably thoght the 2018 Eastern top teams are as good as the Spurs and the Kings and the Blazers of early 2000s.

Lebron beats bad teams, Lebron loses to good teams, same ole same ole.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject:

LeBron's efficiency has been off the charts.

Too bad the refs decided to ruin Game 1 or we would have a series on our hands.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
LeBron's efficiency has been off the charts.

Too bad the refs decided to ruin Game 1 or we would have a series on our hands.

Hilarious.

How many times in his career has LeBron benefited from favorable officiating?

More times than he has not, that's for sure...
NYClakerguy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject:

stop it. lebron just isn't the better player.
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

1. Create a permanent Official Kobe Appreciation Thread. Let the Kobe fans post to their hearts' content, and boot anyone who wants to troll them. If Kobe does something newsworthy (wins a showbiz award, writes a book, or whatever), that's different. Everything else should go in the official thread.

2. Require any GOAT threads, including Kobe vs. MJ or Kobe vs. Lebron, to go into the General forum.

This won't stop the problem, but at least it will reduce the amount of trolling by and against Kobe fans.

Emoticons also banned from the thread.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Any GOAT thread needs to include Lew Alcindor/Kareem
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject:

spflakers wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Emoticons also banned from the thread.

I think of them as imadorkicons.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

You're the biggest part of the problem You, activeverb, and a couple other Kobe haters have more posts in here than the Kobe fans. I admire your dedication to (bleep) on Kobe's career it's been easily over a decade strong of this from the same people
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject:

NYClakerguy wrote:
stop it. lebron just isn't the better player.

watch the games. he gets 40 points in his sleep and is very efficient. and his ball handling skills and the way he sees the court rival magic's. he's basically MJ and Magic rolled into one. He's impossible to stop.

look into my eyes. I SAID LOOK AT ME. he's the best player of this generation.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

You're the biggest part of the problem You, activeverb, and a couple other Kobe haters have more posts in here than the Kobe fans. I admire your dedication to (bleep) on Kobe's career it's been easily over a decade strong of this from the same people

No, you’re a bigger part of the problem than me or AV. Most of LG has moved on from the Kobe vs. Whoever debate. You and a handful of others keep these threads going, and you are getting more and more angry as time goes by. That’s because a rising percentage of the forum population is rolling its eyes at you.

Posters like me and AV don’t start Kobe threads. Kobe is a former Laker. I’m fine with you having a safe space to talk about Kobe. But that’s the last thing you want, isn’t it? You want conflict. You want to call people names. You don’t want to move on. The only other people on this board who care much about these discussions are those of us who are interested in GOAT discussions. If you didn’t have us, you wouldn’t have anyone.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject:

im only judging this based on what i saw for many years defending kobe over lebron. back in 2008-2012, people thought lebron was the better player. bull crap. but i knew that once he developed some type of killer instinct, that lebron would be better than kobe.. and he has been.

guy is unstoppable on a consistent basis. he hardly has bad shooting games. he is smart with the ball. can't say the same for kobe.

like i said, he's a combination of MJ and Magic. Scary how good he is, even late into his career.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 33 of 34
Jump to: