KAWHI LEONARD THREAD (Woj: KL to sign with Clippers who get Paul George)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 528, 529, 530 ... 876, 877, 878  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject:

Cris Carter does say Lakers or Clippers. not Lakers specifically
Johnny Cage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject:

[quote="Intlakeshow"]
Johnny Cage wrote:
Intlakeshow wrote:
Johnny Cage wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
Spurs are like an investor that buys a stock that initially takes off. They feel like geniuses, so, when the stock begins to decline, they don't sell because they're confident they're smarter than everyone else. The stock goes to 75% value, 50%, 25%, and they hold onto the stock until it becomes a penny stock because, after the first few dips, they feel like they're "all-in." At this point, they truly would rather get nothing than get some value because they are operating on emotions rather than logic.

The Spurs are playing it right, they have something that others want. They are not in a time crunch to get something done so now is the time to ask for the sun and moon.

Bingo. That's very difficult for a lot of people on here to understand. Why? I don't know.

Maybe it’s difficult to understand because it makes no sense? The only reason why KL hasn’t been traded yet, is because there’s NO MARKET for him right now, which is percisely the opposite of what you’re saying. His injury plus unwillingness to commit long term to any team outside of LA has shot his value, and every day that passes it gets worse, not better. Understand that?

No, that's not what I'm saying at all actually. You just answered your own question. It makes no sense to trade him right now BECAUSE his value is crap.

The Spurs are reportedly getting lowballed left and right with offers. So, why would they trade him right now? THAT makes no sense. They are not obligated to do so, and if the offers are laughable, then they won't trade him, period.

They are not simply going to hand him over to another team just because he doesn't want to be there. That's not how this works, at least not to a good GM. If Kawhi wants to piss and moan and hide, so be it. But he's contractually obligated to play for San Antonio next season. That's how contracts work.

So, the Spurs know he's supposed to report to Team USA minicamp next week. If he does, he gets the opportunity to show that he's healthy and back to his old self, and suddenly teams are interested again! Wow! (crazy how that works). They're suddenly willing to give up more for him now that they know he's back to his ol' self.

Or, he decides to drop out, not show up, and nothing has changed (other than his reputation taking more of a hit). He's still under contract, and is obligated to report to Spurs training camp on September 25th. Then, he gets the chance to show teams that he's healthy yet again, thus giving the Spurs leverage again in potential trade talks.

Now, if he wants to continue to try and strong-arm San Antonio, and doesn't report to camp or refuses to participate, there will be ramifications. Thanks to the new CBA, which protects teams from petulant players acting like this, he would forfeit his ability to be a Free Agent next summer. He would "owe" the Spurs a year for breach of contract. Do you really think he's willing to do that? Of course not. That would make no sense either. The Spurs know this.

So, he's either going to be traded for a package that the Spurs deem fair, or he's going to play out his contract with the San Antonio Spurs, and choose his next destination as a Free Agent next summer. It's as simple as that. If that means the Spurs watch him walk for nothing, so be it. They would rather that happen, and have the open cap space, than take on a bunch of average players in dead cap money in a horribly lopsided trade, while giving into Kawhi's amateur camp, who just drug their name through the mud, in the process.

Capiche?

Quote:
No, the premise of the post you agreed with said that he’s an asset that people want, and therefore the Spurs should be in no rush to trade him. By agreeing with me that his value is (bleep) right now, you have just contradicted yourself.

No, I agreed with the part where he said the Spurs are "not in a time crunch" to get something done... which my statement clearly supports. I'm not contradicting myself at all . If the offers are so terrible now, why would they be hard-pressed to trade him now? They aren't. Common sense.

Quote:
The rest of the things you said are basically a bunch of “ifs” that may or may not happen, some of them really big “ifs”. If Kawhi shows up to USA minicamp, if Kawhi shows up to training camp, and so on and so forth. But even if he plays well during a scrimmage, that’s not gonna necessarily convince teams that he’s the player he was two years ago. Plus, even if they’re convinced, him not committing long term will still drive his value down.

No, they're not.. IF he shows up to Team USA minicamp as expected, and plays well and looks good, I GUARANTEE teams will start to offer more (especially teams who think they can convince him to stay). You're really underestimating how good Kawhi is when healthy. Top-3 in the world.

IF he doesn't show up to Training Camp, he STILL has to show up for the Spurs regular season in October, as he's contractually obligated to be there. If he fails to do so, he would be punished severely. He's not going to do that, as it would not only cost him significant fines, but would also postpone what he wants, which is to get out of San Antonio as soon as possible.

Quote:
Then there’s the part where you said the Spurs would rather let him walk unless they get “fair value” in a trade. Letting him walk for nothing would be extremely foolish, they would take either Philly or Boston’s packages centered around picks before they do that.

Potentially, but since the offers are so terrible now, how are they going to get worse between now and February? Teams "on the brink" at the trade deadline are always trying to make a deal(s) to put them over the top for a playoff push. We see it every year. More terrible, lowball offers will be there for a chance at Kawhi, who's presumably has had half the season to prove he's healthy again. This gives teams the chance to see him for a bit before giving up assets for him. Other teams in their conference who don't want their competition to get better, begin to offer more. Spurs suddenly have leverage again. Again, literally no need to rush here.

Bottom line, The Spurs are not in a rush to trade him, especially since the offers are so bad right now. Playing the long-game is much smarter in this scenario. They have the patience of Job and will continue to showcase it until they get an offer they like, or until next Summer, whichever comes first.

Last edited by Johnny Cage on Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
RetroNikes
Star Player
Star Player

I guess that's why the Lakers are quiet. They're probably offering Lonzo and a few draft picks knowing that Kawhi is doing his part to force his way to Los Angeles.

I still think there's a chance the Spurs will accept a deal, but I think the trade is going to be completed because Kawhi not going to show up for a physical. lol.

Lakers knew LeBron was coming to LA and I'm sure they knew Kawhi is going to force his way to LA too. They're just being patient.
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

I don't think the Spurs would want DeRozan's contract. I think a 3rd team, like the Kings, would have to be involved to facilitate a Kawhi deal to Toronto.
kawhileonard
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Would be fun to see leonard, bi and lebron clamping down on kd, steph and klay...

However, a little part of me makes me think leonard doesn't want to join Lebron.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject:

RetroNikes wrote:
I guess that's why the Lakers are quiet. They're probably offering Lonzo and a few draft picks knowing that Kawhi is doing his part to force his way to Los Angeles.

I still think there's a chance the Spurs will accept a deal, but I think the trade is going to be completed because Kawhi not going to show up for a physical. lol.

Lakers knew LeBron was coming to LA and I'm sure they knew Kawhi is going to force his way to LA too. They're just being patient.

I hope this is the case.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject:

kawhileonard wrote:
Would be fun to see leonard, bi and lebron clamping down on kd, steph and klay...

However, a little part of me makes me think leonard doesn't want to join Lebron.

next year
Lakeshow323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject:

As everyday goes, this seems to get worse and worse for the Spurs.

Good, (bleep) them.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject:

RetroNikes wrote:

Don’t forget they also knew that Paul George was coming to the Lakers.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Lakeshow323 wrote:

Good, (bleep) them.

Worse? They still have Leonard on their roster.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject:

I'm surprised this thread is still this active.
LakERIC
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject:

Really hoping for a resolution to this charade by the time team USA begins practicing in Vegas. Spurs will need to make a move soon, at the very least right before training camp begins. Coming here to Lakersground each day, hoping and clicking on this thread multiple times a day hoping that we got him is insane!
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Lakeshow323 wrote:

Good, (bleep) them.

the same guy who was on the roster last year too but only played 9 games? after getting medically cleared by team doctors?
2017 Summer League Champs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Lakeshow323 wrote:

Good, (bleep) them.

LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Lakeshow323 wrote:

Good, (bleep) them.

That really worked out well last year for them.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject:

2017 Summer League Champs wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Lakeshow323 wrote:

Good, (bleep) them.

seems like some fans want the other team to win
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Lakeshow323 wrote:

Good, (bleep) them.

Not some just 2
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Lakeshow323 wrote:

Good, (bleep) them.

Not some just 2

dont understand why but whatever
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
I'm surprised this thread is still this active.

I'm surprised, myself.

Imo, this possible trade scenario involving Kawhi, the Spurs, and Lakers, will continue to be a story, until Kawhi gets traded to whoever, or the trade deadline passes, with no movement.

As has been stated by so many, the Spurs are in no rush to do a bad deal, just for the sake of doing a deal. That being said, time is not on their side. As time goes by, especially once the season begins, Kawhi's trade value will most likely decrease.

The Lakers are in no rush to do a deal that involves them giving up multiple top tier young players, and multiple picks. Honestly, that's just ridiculous. Also, the Lakers will want to see how our young guys have improved, and how they fit together, with LeBron. Once they have a more accurate feel for the team, then they can more properly assess whether to wait for 2019, or make a trade.

Making moves blindly does not constitute good FO management.
Lakeshow323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Lakeshow323 wrote:

Good, (bleep) them.

King Kleazy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject:

kawhileonard wrote:
pokoy wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Fwiw, Cris Carter (who is close to Kawhi’s camp) said they don’t want a Paul George situation and that Kawhi only wants LA.

Doesn’t mean it’s entirely true but imo it seems to be the case or else some other city would have traded for him already. Only Toronto seems to be willing just to dump the DeRozan contract.

Haven't heard everything CC said about it. Does he want any team in LA? Or just the Lakers?

Both teams....

Problemd is, the Clippers now got Jerry West.

Why is this always brought up? Y’all know that no matter what is felt about Jerry, he don’t play anymore. He’s not helping Kawhi win ON THE COURT...for the clippers none the less.

This is not to say he’s not an excellent executive but damn. If Kawhi legit is open to both teams it’d be the pure hate from pop to avoid us more than anything the clippers represent.

And yes I know he’s advised other teams but their TALENT has been the recurring theme in all this situations. All he’s done to this point is move lob city out of town with the hope of drawing max players.....similar to what the nets are looking to do soon.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
NBA_FullTimeOut
@TheRealAliAnwar

And yes, the Kawhi trade will include DeMar Derozan. The additional pieces with DeMar are changing daily it seems. My source said it was OG + Jakob. Now it’s being speculated by Zach Lowe as Pascal being second piece. Which is HUUGE for San Antonio’s big / versatility situation.

Do it Toronto.
Then trade him to the Lakers at the trade deadline.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject:

Kawhi to Toronto would be nice. The garbage East needs some real stars.
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Quote:
NBA_FullTimeOut
@TheRealAliAnwar

And yes, the Kawhi trade will include DeMar Derozan. The additional pieces with DeMar are changing daily it seems. My source said it was OG + Jakob. Now it’s being speculated by Zach Lowe as Pascal being second piece. Which is HUUGE for San Antonio’s big / versatility situation.

Do it Toronto.
Then trade him to the Lakers at the trade deadline.

Who would we give up? Deng and a pick or two?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Toronto is looking at this like they either get a top 5 player (assuming health) or they get a one year expiring but at ;east move a terrible long term deal so they can start their rebuild...

I cannot see a scenario where Kawhi stays in Toronto with Lowry only while Lakers come calling with LeBron + BI/Kuz/Lonzo/Hart/Wagner/Svi + Cap space for another couple really good players
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 528, 529, 530 ... 876, 877, 878  Next
Page 529 of 878
Jump to: