KAWHI LEONARD THREAD (Woj: KL to sign with Clippers who get Paul George)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 593, 594, 595 ... 876, 877, 878  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
If we were 100% sure Leonard was healthy I hope that we would have traded for him. But we didn’t know that. We knew George was healthy and didn’t even make a serious run at him, we thought he was a lock to come here. He wasn’t and neither is Leonard. Having that player when he becomes a FA >>>> not having him. I won’t criticize for not going after Leonard because of the injury issue but will for not going after George.

Call it Laker fan exceptionalism, but I'm glad we didn't trade for George. If the guy wasn't absolutely thirsting to be a Laker, we would've felt disappointed in giving him that deal and would've been devastated if he'd have decided to go to Houston or Boston in Free Agency.

The fact that he chose to re-up in OKC is a reflection on him, not the Lakers.

Either money was the sole factor (which is understandable), or the guy is easily swayed. We don't need that.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
If we were 100% sure Leonard was healthy I hope that we would have traded for him. But we didn’t know that. We knew George was healthy and didn’t even make a serious run at him, we thought he was a lock to come here. He wasn’t and neither is Leonard. Having that player when he becomes a FA >>>> not having him. I won’t criticize for not going after Leonard because of the injury issue but will for not going after George.

Call it Laker fan exceptionalism, but I'm glad we didn't trade for George. If the guy wasn't absolutely thirsting to be a Laker, we would've felt disappointed in giving him that deal and would've been devastated if he'd have decided to go to Houston or Boston in Free Agency.

The fact that he chose to re-up in OKC is a reflection on him, not the Lakers.

Either money was the sole factor (which is understandable), or the guy is easily swayed. We don't need that.

The fact that we didn't attempt to pursue George because of "exceptionalism" is so far from truth. When PG made it known he wanted to come here last summer, we offered up Jules and Clarkson. Pritchard dealt with us the same way the Spurs did asking for a kings ransom which would have been stupid to agree too. So we took the smart route and decided to take our chances by clearing space assuming we'd at least get the chance to talk to him. He somehow managed to convince himself playing in OKC gave him a better chance of winning than here, so I'm okay with not signing a guy who came to that conclusion.

FO did everything right with PG and they still managed to get criticized.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
I met up with a friend that I haven’t seen in a few months for breakfast...guy is close to Kawhi’s group and he said Kawhi is set on the Lakers in 2019. He thought it was going to happen for this season but the Spurs weren’t going to do it.

I feel confident about KL to Lakers now because I trust him and his relationship with Kawhi and his people.

Just thought I would share

Outstanding. Thanks for sharing.

That’s the best kind of info we can get.

Various LG users got similar info from people they knew that Lebron was coming. Great getting real world confirmation of the media leaks.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject:

One thing that I haven't seen people talking about with PG is the timing of his interest in going back to OKC. We didn’t hear much about it until KL became a real possibility and the Lakers started pursuing him hard.

At that point, there was suddenly a lot of buzz about OKC really liking their chances to keep him. I don’t think the timing was a coincidence.

It seems PG was ok being the #2 guy, but did not want to be the #3.

KL is the much better player, so I’m glad the Lakers prioritized him. It will all work out in the end in the Lakers favor.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Raps @ Lakers will be crazy this year. There will be a lot of KL love in the building.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
Raps @ Lakers will be crazy this year. There will be a lot of KL love in the building.

I remember when Laker fans were cheering for Paul George when he was at Staples but when a reporter asked him about it he said he didn’t hear any cheers that should have given us an idea that he was never coming here cause the cheers were loud, hopefully Kawhi actually appreciates the cheers when he comes to play.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Toronto by making this trade sealed their own fate of losing Kawhi. Raptors showed their true colors by trading away the most loyal NBA star in the league after 1 year into his new deal for a shiny toy. Kawhi's team is going to remember this come free agency as will every other star player that the Raptors go after.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
Toronto by making this trade sealed their own fate of losing Kawhi. Raptors showed their true colors by trading away the most loyal NBA star in the league after 1 year into his new deal for a shiny toy. Kawhi's team is going to remember this come free agency as will every other star player that the Raptors go after.

I honestly doubt it.....players snipe about this stuff, but money will always talk...and I think everyone has concluded this was a good risk by the Raptors. Nobody seems upset with the Celtics over IT. In regards to Kawhi....no idea how he will see it....but what is to stop him from seeing it as the Raptors wanted him bad enough to move the face of their franchise?

In the end, DeRozan is on a max contract.....earning millions upon millions of dollars playing a kids game for the best coach in the NBA in a warm weather city.....life could be a lot worse.
kobeblackmamba5
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject:

maybe kawhi will pick the clippers since they have the cap space to sign 2 maxed players, no?
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject:

KL is unpredictable. Who knows what might happen but I doubt he stays in Toronto.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
One thing that I haven't seen people talking about with PG is the timing of his interest in going back to OKC. We didn’t hear much about it until KL became a real possibility and the Lakers started pursuing him hard.

At that point, there was suddenly a lot of buzz about OKC really liking their chances to keep him. I don’t think the timing was a coincidence.

It seems PG was ok being the #2 guy, but did not want to be the #3.

KL is the much better player, so I’m glad the Lakers prioritized him. It will all work out in the end in the Lakers favor.

I would not be surprised if it was already over at the All Star break when Russ told us it was over.....
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
KL is unpredictable. Who knows what might happen but I doubt he stays in Toronto.

I really hope he comes....there is no other player on the market (outside maybe Durant) that can come close to have a similar impact......but I just hope we do not convince ourselves it is a sure thing this year until we see real evidence.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:

I remember when Laker fans were cheering for Paul George when he was at Staples but when a reporter asked him about it he said he didn’t hear any cheers that should have given us an idea that he was never coming here cause the cheers were loud, hopefully Kawhi actually appreciates the cheers when he comes to play.

The same fans will boo Paul George pretty hard this year
Here2Party
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject:

kobeblackmamba5 wrote:
maybe kawhi will pick the clippers since they have the cap space to sign 2 maxed players, no?

I tend to look at it like this.

If we had two spots available next summer and Lebron was a free agent. We would go after both of them with our two max spots. Only way it will be the Clippers is if he really doesn't want to play with Lebron.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Here2Party wrote:
kobeblackmamba5 wrote:

If we had two spots available next summer and Lebron was a free agent. We would go after both of them with our two max spots. Only way it will be the Clippers is if he really doesn't want to play with Lebron.

which could actually be true for all we know....do we even know that Kawhi is not the biggest diva in the NBA and prefers to be the lone Option #1 over winning or anything else? I mean I doubt it.....but I reach that conclusion on very little evidence.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Here2Party wrote:
kobeblackmamba5 wrote:

which could actually be true for all we know....do we even know that Kawhi is not the biggest diva in the NBA and prefers to be the lone Option #1 over winning or anything else? I mean I doubt it.....but I reach that conclusion on very little evidence.

I hope we have been tampering with him to get a sense of what he wants.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Guys- look at SDLaker’s post that I quoted a few posts up.

That looks at lot like what we saw with Lebron- not PG.
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:

We r supposed to believe that a random dude on LG knows someone from KL’s group?
UKUGA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject:

BigBallerBrand wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:

We r supposed to believe that a random dude on LG knows someone from KL’s group?

Six degrees of separation.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:

Yup.
And can't wait for Kobe to destroy them. He always puts up good numbers against them.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:

Yup.
And can't wait for Kobe to destroy them. He always puts up good numbers against them.

He coming out of retirement to torch them again? Poor Raps. Imagine their fans having to watch Lebron and Kobe torch them at the same time
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
I met up with a friend that I haven’t seen in a few months for breakfast...guy is close to Kawhi’s group and he said Kawhi is set on the Lakers in 2019. He thought it was going to happen for this season but the Spurs weren’t going to do it.

I feel confident about KL to Lakers now because I trust him and his relationship with Kawhi and his people.

Thanks LSD. It was nice catching up with you too.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Thanks LSD. It was nice catching up with you too.

you are one crazy ass mofo...but you my favorite poser on LG for (bleep) like this

Edit: poster not poser
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject:

PG was all we could talk about a year ago, from here, wanted to play here, OKC doesn't play that well with Melo, PG and Russ. Then the rumblings from Lebron go from pipe dream, to actually possible, to favorite, to all but assured. Lebron then signs a long term deal with us, so no 1 year drama from Lebron. He signs on with Magic's plan for a multi-year rebuild.

Russ starts chirping about midseason that PG is going to stay, nobody believes him, and PG's message becomes more fuzzy. Then the rumblings with KL start up, and he too expresses a desire to play in LA. Now the Lakers have a shot at a different max player, and maybe their enthusiasm wanes a bit. for PG.

PG does his special, gets the special love treatment in OKC, and is probably told Melo isn't coming back. Lakers don't fly to OKC or go out of their way, I think their instincts already told them PG wasn't leaving OKC. We express interest in KL like other teams, but Spurs aren't dealing him here or only at a kings ransom.

Lakers bide their time, see how 2019 shapes up with KL or someone else. Maybe keep the channel open with Raptors, who might take a deal at the deadline, rather than get nothing when KL walks at the end of the season.

That's pretty much what happened. I trust we will get another max player by the start of next season. I think with this team, we still can win 50 games this year.
NBALakerLegends
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

I honestly doubt it.....players snipe about this stuff, but money will always talk...and I think everyone has concluded this was a good risk by the Raptors. Nobody seems upset with the Celtics over IT. In regards to Kawhi....no idea how he will see it....but what is to stop him from seeing it as the Raptors wanted him bad enough to move the face of their franchise?

In the end, DeRozan is on a max contract.....earning millions upon millions of dollars playing a kids game for the best coach in the NBA in a warm weather city.....life could be a lot worse.

Players and agents remember these things. Even Ramona reported this calling out the Clippers specifically and mentioning Kawhi and his camp remember. Not only Ramona, but a few other media guys reported Boston, LaC and Toronto may have issues in free agency these next couple years. At the end of the day, money plays a huge part but these players love talking about loyalty. Don’t be surprised if Kyrie and Kawhi leave next offseason.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 593, 594, 595 ... 876, 877, 878  Next
Page 594 of 878
Jump to: