KAWHI LEONARD THREAD (Woj: KL to sign with Clippers who get Paul George)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 620, 621, 622 ... 876, 877, 878  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:38 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Isn’t that because there main core guys have been taking significant paycuts? I mean heck it seems like Klay has been with the Warriors for a while without them having to deal with his excessive extension, and it helps that Durant keeps giving them salary paycuts.

They also managed their cap well

The only guy to take a paycut was Durant. Klay signed a maximum extension and Dray, just $8M shy of the max. They were lucky to lock them both right before the Salary Cap exploded.

Curry extended his contract in 2012, while having problems with his ankles - GSW took a risk in it paid off. He signed for $11M and the max was $15M/yr. I don't see it as a paycut, considering the risks involved.

Still, when Durant arrived in Oaklend he didn't take a paycut. He only took it in the second year, when he was eligible to the 35% max, but left $10M on the table to accommodate Iguodala and Livingstone.

As Omar said, it was a great Cap Management and a bit of luck, as the cap had a spike in the perfect moment: after extending Klay and Dray, before extending Curry again.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Clippers prep for Kawhi by firing Bruce Bowen.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
https://youtu.be/hOw1UzBkuNM

Knowing the NBA, they will ignore the fact that the Clippers are basically tampering with a player who won’t be a FA until 2019, seems like the NBA actually allowed the Clippers to make this move for the Kawhi possibility, they might feel sorry for there lack of success.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Isn’t that because there main core guys have been taking significant paycuts? I mean heck it seems like Klay has been with the Warriors for a while without them having to deal with his excessive extension, and it helps that Durant keeps giving them salary paycuts.

They also managed their cap well

The only guy to take a paycut was Durant. Klay signed a maximum extension and Dray, just $8M shy of the max. They were lucky to lock them both right before the Salary Cap exploded.

Curry extended his contract in 2012, while having problems with his ankles - GSW took a risk in it paid off. He signed for $11M and the max was $15M/yr. I don't see it as a paycut, considering the risks involved.

Still, when Durant arrived in Oaklend he didn't take a paycut. He only took it in the second year, when he was eligible to the 35% max, but left $10M on the table to accommodate Iguodala and Livingstone.

As Omar said, it was a great Cap Management and a bit of luck, as the cap had a spike in the perfect moment: after extending Klay and Dray, before extending Curry again.

They were extremely fortunate in the sense that Curry signed his first extension when his health was a big question mark, and he's managed to be remarkably durable since.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Yes, letting Grant walk, we might have 5-peated if Dr. Buss had paid him. Cutting Shaw to save a smaller amount of luxury tax.

I remember a number of posters were pretty realistic about the Lakers' financials. Not happy, but understood that the team was financially handcuffed to make many moves. It's not like the Lakers are being run by McCourts.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Pretty good chance LeBron is the WC all-star team captain with first pick. If Kawhi comes back strong, Bron could have an interesting choice between 2019 free agents in Durant and Kawhi. Giannis will probably be EC conference. If GA goes Davis or Curry, Bron could end up picking both.
NBALakerLegends
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Pretty good chance LeBron is the WC all-star team captain with first pick. If Kawhi comes back strong, Bron could have an interesting choice between 2019 free agents in Durant and Kawhi. Giannis will probably be EC conference. If GA goes Davis or Curry, Bron could end up picking both.

Can’t be a captain two years in a row.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Yes, letting Grant walk, we might have 5-peated if Dr. Buss had paid him. Cutting Shaw to save a smaller amount of luxury tax.

I remember a number of posters were pretty realistic about the Lakers' financials. Not happy, but understood that the team was financially handcuffed to make many moves. It's not like the Lakers are being run by McCourts.

It’s easy to understand why Dr. Buss went cheap, and that is the basis of the argument that our ownership group doesn’t have deep pockets. The Lakers is all they have. I was fine with not signing Horace, especially when we won another ring.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

It’s easy to understand why Dr. Buss went cheap, and that is the basis of the argument that our ownership group doesn’t have deep pockets. The Lakers is all they have. I was fine with not signing Horace, especially when we won another ring.

BUT WE COULD HAVE 5-PEATED IF WE RE-SIGNED HORACE GRANT!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
https://youtu.be/hOw1UzBkuNM

Knowing the NBA, they will ignore the fact that the Clippers are basically tampering with a player who won’t be a FA until 2019, seems like the NBA actually allowed the Clippers to make this move for the Kawhi possibility, they might feel sorry for there lack of success.

You think firing Bruce Bowden constitutes tampering? Don't get that one
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:

I thought they got rid of east/west?
Coppertop
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

BUT WE COULD HAVE 5-PEATED IF WE RE-SIGNED HORACE GRANT!

Only a Four-peat . Grant was back on the team in 2004 and was injured/virtually useless.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

I thought they got rid of east/west?

For the game, not for the voting. The two captains will be the leading vote getters in their respective conferences. Last year LeBron got the most votes for EC players and Curry got the most in the West. Thus, they were the two captains.
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
They were extremely fortunate in the sense that Curry signed his first extension when his health was a big question mark, and he's managed to be remarkably durable since.

They were even more fortunate that the PA were against a gradual increase in the cap and opted instead for the cap spike that enabled the Warriors to sign Durant. In a way, the NBA brought this Warrior dynasty upon themselves.

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
The Grind wrote:

They were even more fortunate that the PA were against a gradual increase in the cap and opted instead for the cap spike that enabled the Warriors to sign Durant. In a way, the NBA brought this Warrior dynasty upon themselves.

I think like most success stores/successful people in any walk of life, fortune seems to shine on them some way ie Jerry Buss buying real estate in Santa Monica before prices shot up and then being opportunistic in convincing Jack Kent Cooke to sell his team during a nasty divorce.

All those things about GS were true but they also built a culture that players wanted to be a part of an they leveraged their proximity and connections to Silicon Valley to create a destination where players could not only live happily but expand into new billion dollar endeavors.

Lacon and Co basically did/are doing what we did back in the 80's with Showtime.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject:

This may have been thrown out before, but here is hoping:

That Kawhi dosen't pull a "George" and decide that staying in Toronto and making $30 million more over the time of his next contract is better than taking less to come to LA!
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject:

NBALakerLegends wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

Can’t be a captain two years in a row.

I looked around and didn't see that anywhere. Where did the NBA say that?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject:

I hope Jerry West retires after this season. Super annoying that he is trying to build a competitive team over there. He cleared cap trades away key pieces of players and got some good picks in return.

I also cannot stand Steve ballmer the man is a (bleep) troll.

I would rather see Leonard sign long term with raptors than be on a clipper team
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
The Grind wrote:

I think like most success stores/successful people in any walk of life, fortune seems to shine on them some way ie Jerry Buss buying real estate in Santa Monica before prices shot up and then being opportunistic in convincing Jack Kent Cooke to sell his team during a nasty divorce.

All those things about GS were true but they also built a culture that players wanted to be a part of an they leveraged their proximity and connections to Silicon Valley to create a destination where players could not only live happily but expand into new billion dollar endeavors.

Lacon and Co basically did/are doing what we did back in the 80's with Showtime.

Yeah what they are doing now is pretty historic and I don't take anything away from them. Everyone is mad about KD going there but they were able to build a legitimate championship record breaking team without him. They have top notch ownership, a phenomenal GM in Myers (who has an eerily similar track record as Pelinka) and a great coach who helped build one of the best lockerrooms in the league. I'm just hoping they get fatigued/cash strapped so we can finally take them down
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject:

999 wrote:
I hope Jerry West retires after this season. Super annoying that he is trying to build a competitive team over there. He cleared cap trades away key pieces of players and got some good picks in return.

I also cannot stand Steve ballmer the man is a (bleep) troll.

I would rather see Leonard sign long term with raptors than be on a clipper team

KL on the Raptors long term would be pretty dope, but we all know the odds of that happening.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
The Grind wrote:

Curious, do you think that is a bad thing? I think it is good for the NBA.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Seeing speculation on his free agency next year. Seeing projections of Raptors starting lineup.

Not seeing any updates of him actually on the court. No social media practice videos. No charity games. No USA basketball.

Have I missed them or is his health still the best kept secret ever.

Apparently cell phones can find their way into national security zones but not a Leonard workout.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
The Grind wrote:

Curious, do you think that is a bad thing? I think it is good for the NBA.

It was bad for the majority of players since they weren't free agents that year. Bad for the majority of teams because the parity is diminished and even fewer have a chance to win. Only thing you could say is that it is better for TV ratings, possibly.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject:

I think that the NBA is more popular when they have a dynasty. I went to a football game at the high school my kids graduated from and saw a good number of Curry jerseys. So you might be right about jersey sales.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
The Grind wrote:

exactly
I guarantee if the opportunity was there, the league owners would not have voted in such a cap space spike at the height of the Kobe-Shaq Lakers.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 620, 621, 622 ... 876, 877, 878  Next
Page 621 of 878
Jump to: