KAWHI LEONARD THREAD (Woj: KL to sign with Clippers who get Paul George)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 641, 642, 643 ... 876, 877, 878  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
YSong wrote:
kenkoy wrote:
Wino wrote:
Why Kawhi should choose the Lakers over the Clippers or anyone else for that matter.

Toronto has been good for Kawhi because it has shown him a couple of important things. One, that other good NBA players can see his dominance fairly quickly. His teammates have had some success prior to Kawhi showing up. He had to convince them that he was the alpha male in this group and he did. He has set himself up to be an alpha male player where ever he ends out playing. But the other important thing he has shown himself is that it is almost impossible to win a ring in this league when you are the lone alpha male on your team. Kawhi has almost always been a super efficient player, shooting at a very high percentage. But in the playoffs, with teams loading up on him with double and triple teams, his percentage is falling off. He does NOT have a consistent threat player next to him. Yeah, he has a couple of guys who COULD go off like Lowry just did, albeit in a losing effort. But none of the other guys can really be depended on to take the double teams away from Kawhi.

So, if he goes to the Clippers, it will be more of the same thing. Good players, good team, but he would have to carry them and when the double teams come, he has nobody else to make them pay for it.

Not so on the Lakers. He has Lebron who is already commanding the double teams and with them together, it is going to be really, really difficult to stop both these guys. On top of that when you do, we have Kuzma and Brandon who can also take advantage of the doubles. Add one of the best passing, defensive minded PG's in the league who's sole pleasure is going to be getting the ball to Kawhi and Lebron in their sweet spots. I see it as a super great situation for him.

Truth is, we have some really good pieces, and had bad coaching who was unable to develop it fast enough or utilize what he had well enough. I think we will be a better landing spot for him, plus we will be stacked so if changes need to be made, we will have flexibility for trades.

On the business side, don't forget that Kawhi is the new face of New Balance...I'm sure some smart guy at NB has offered something like "hey Kawhi, how about a 25% contract kicker if you sign with a big market (Lakers,Knicks, Bulls) team?"

If you look at the top 15 jersey sales, Kawhi is not even there. Jason effin Tatum is on that list. He might even crack top 5 if he signs with the Lakers...

Exactly. So a contact I have that knows Uncle Dennis shared with me similar thoughts.

Regardless of the current turmoil the Laker brand is massive and still the marquee name of the NBA like the Yankees and Cowboys. Kawhi will have ample opportunities. Also loves the exposure and doors that LBJ can open. To Uncle Dennis it’s a win win situation for Kawhi. He comes to the Lakers and the team becomes a title contender the narrative will be how Kawhi helped LeBron right the ship and will be the next Laker great.

Kawhi jersey hanging with the other legends. Sorry Clippers can’t compete.

I hope you're right.....

I see more appeal in the strength of Clipper's FO office than hoping Linda and Jeanie can keep the ship going in the right direction.

Then again, if we get Kawhi, that ship is on autopilot for the next 3 years....

No offense but that FO is going to have one huge member of it retiring soon, West is in his 80's, I don't see him around for too much longer.
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject:

BTW Kawhi declined Jordan brands 4 yr $22mm deal

He likely got something slightly more. My guess 5 yr $30mm from NB with language to renegotiate.

Those shoes NB released for Kawhi are pretty sick.

My guess is if Kawhi comes to LA or NY ... the NB deal will probably go from $6mm per to $10-15mm (Harden and Steph make around $15mm and KD and LBJ make $20mm+ from Nike)
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject:

YSong if you had to scale 1 from 10 what chances do you give Kawhi coming to the Lakers?
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject:

I'd like to ask again, what has Balmer accomplished besides being really rich? What has the rest of the clips FO accomplished besides shipping out their franchise cornerstone, and another all star quality player for cap space? Isn't that what we've been doing? Not saying they have done bad at all, but people keep talking them up like they are the greatest execs in the league but I haven't seen them do anything that wow'd me yet.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
I'd like to ask again, what has Balmer accomplished besides being really rich? What has the rest of the clips FO accomplished besides shipping out their franchise cornerstone, and another all star quality player for cap space? Isn't that what we've been doing? Not saying they have done bad at all, but people keep talking them up like they are the greatest execs in the league but I haven't seen them do anything that wow'd me yet.

Jerry West affect
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
YSong if you had to scale 1 from 10 what chances do you give Kawhi coming to the Lakers?

60-70%
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject:

YSong wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

60-70%

Please be right.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject:

YSong wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

60-70%

I will personally lick your feet if you end up being right.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
YSong wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

60-70%

This should be another bet you take YSong.. you can make $2K and get a good toe sucking in one day.
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
YSong wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

60-70%

This should be another bet you take YSong.. you can make $2K and get a good toe sucking in one day.

maybe I pay NOT to have the toe part

Let’s pray for a sweep by Bucks!
KOBemaster
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
YSong wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

60-70%

Thank you for this. Needed the laugh.
Rubin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject:

YSong wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

60-70%

Based solely off what you’ve heard from your mutual connection to uncle Dennis? Any specifics you feel comfortable sharing?

We’re like a pack of wolves snarling for any scraps of meat we can get
l4kerz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject:

l4kerz wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
l4kerz wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
I'll take a healthy Kawhi over anyone except KD possibly.

If he wasn’t healthy, do you think he would show up at UCLA along with the other healthy NBA stars? I think he would be at some rehab facility instead.

What's healthy? He could be at 80% and still show up to "practice".

We have no clue how intense the workouts were. Or how much he played. Maybe most importantly how he felt the next day.

Only this season will tell how healthy he truly is. He could pass a physical, look great during camp and pre-season and then have quad/knee issues 20 games into the season.

The man played 9 games last season. Released reports were concerning with the potential long term and recurring effects of his injury. I would like to see more sustained activity at a high level before I start calling him healthy.

He plays 70 games and re-establishes himself as a top 10 player and he would be my number one free agent target. Before then I prefer the Lakers remain patient.

In hindsight, would you still have played it safe?

anyone still labeling AD as injury prone? I’ll take his 60 games.
Yong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject:

YSong wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

60-70%

Is YSong = RDAmbition??????

HAHA :lol:
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject:

YSong wrote:
2019 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
YSong wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

60-70%

Yeah, you might be on to something here! LOL
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject:

Came into the thread real quick…backing out of the thread slowly…
Rubin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject:

YSong wrote:
2019 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
YSong wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

60-70%

You think his decision hinges on Toronto’s performance the rest of the way?
Arbitrary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 12:51 am    Post subject:

Yong wrote:
YSong wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

60-70%

HAHA

It's you with a slight variation.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:07 am    Post subject:

Arbitrary wrote:
Yong wrote:
YSong wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

60-70%

HAHA

+1
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Arbitrary wrote:
Yong wrote:
YSong wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

60-70%

HAHA

+1

Sorry don’t know who RDAmbition is
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
2019 wrote:
YSong wrote:
kenkoy wrote:
Wino wrote:
Why Kawhi should choose the Lakers over the Clippers or anyone else for that matter.

Toronto has been good for Kawhi because it has shown him a couple of important things. One, that other good NBA players can see his dominance fairly quickly. His teammates have had some success prior to Kawhi showing up. He had to convince them that he was the alpha male in this group and he did. He has set himself up to be an alpha male player where ever he ends out playing. But the other important thing he has shown himself is that it is almost impossible to win a ring in this league when you are the lone alpha male on your team. Kawhi has almost always been a super efficient player, shooting at a very high percentage. But in the playoffs, with teams loading up on him with double and triple teams, his percentage is falling off. He does NOT have a consistent threat player next to him. Yeah, he has a couple of guys who COULD go off like Lowry just did, albeit in a losing effort. But none of the other guys can really be depended on to take the double teams away from Kawhi.

So, if he goes to the Clippers, it will be more of the same thing. Good players, good team, but he would have to carry them and when the double teams come, he has nobody else to make them pay for it.

Not so on the Lakers. He has Lebron who is already commanding the double teams and with them together, it is going to be really, really difficult to stop both these guys. On top of that when you do, we have Kuzma and Brandon who can also take advantage of the doubles. Add one of the best passing, defensive minded PG's in the league who's sole pleasure is going to be getting the ball to Kawhi and Lebron in their sweet spots. I see it as a super great situation for him.

Truth is, we have some really good pieces, and had bad coaching who was unable to develop it fast enough or utilize what he had well enough. I think we will be a better landing spot for him, plus we will be stacked so if changes need to be made, we will have flexibility for trades.

On the business side, don't forget that Kawhi is the new face of New Balance...I'm sure some smart guy at NB has offered something like "hey Kawhi, how about a 25% contract kicker if you sign with a big market (Lakers,Knicks, Bulls) team?"

If you look at the top 15 jersey sales, Kawhi is not even there. Jason effin Tatum is on that list. He might even crack top 5 if he signs with the Lakers...

Exactly. So a contact I have that knows Uncle Dennis shared with me similar thoughts.

Regardless of the current turmoil the Laker brand is massive and still the marquee name of the NBA like the Yankees and Cowboys. Kawhi will have ample opportunities. Also loves the exposure and doors that LBJ can open. To Uncle Dennis it’s a win win situation for Kawhi. He comes to the Lakers and the team becomes a title contender the narrative will be how Kawhi helped LeBron right the ship and will be the next Laker great.

Kawhi jersey hanging with the other legends. Sorry Clippers can’t compete.

I hope you're right.....

I see more appeal in the strength of Clipper's FO office than hoping Linda and Jeanie can keep the ship going in the right direction.

Then again, if we get Kawhi, that ship is on autopilot for the next 3 years....

No offense but that FO is going to have one huge member of it retiring soon, West is in his 80's, I don't see him around for too much longer.

Not to mention, regardless of how well run the Clippers are at the moment, the Clippers brand will never ever have the prestige as the Lakers brand. Ever.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject:

YSong wrote:
epak wrote:
Arbitrary wrote:
Yong wrote:
YSong wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

60-70%

HAHA

+1

Sorry don’t know who RDAmbition is

Not that
+1 for the slight variation of Yong
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject:

C - Dewayne Dedmon (room exception)/J McGee/Wagner
F - Lebron/Kuzma
F - Kawhi/D Hunter (4th pick)
G - Ingram/Hart
G - Ball/Carusoe/S Napier (vet min)

Praying for a Milwaukee Sweep!
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject:

Zubolo wrote:
F - Lebron/Kuzma
G - Ingram/Hart

I like Dewayne Dedmon also. 10.8ppg and 7.5rpb on 49.2% FG / 38.2% 3P / 81.4% FT is pretty good for a 7 footer. He also has a decent defensive rating playing on a bad team.

Dedmon just finished a 2yr $14M contract through, so it's likely he'll be priced higher than what the Lakers can offer for the 29 year old (he'll be 30 next season).
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject:

Zubolo wrote:
F - Lebron/Kuzma
G - Ingram/Hart

fyi, there'd be no room to sign McGee unless he takes the vet min, which he wont. Plus Id say no way he agrees to being a backup center here either way.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 641, 642, 643 ... 876, 877, 878  Next
Page 642 of 878
Jump to: