KAWHI LEONARD THREAD (Woj: KL to sign with Clippers who get Paul George)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 876, 877, 878  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Ireland bought up a good point.. if the Spurs give Leonard the super-max the Spurs will be handicapped from improving the roster, even with Leonard coming back I don’t think a super max is warranted unless you have a good chance to make the finals.
there's only 2 players in the nba right now that deserve the super max. thats lebron james and a healthy Kawhi.

both of them shouldnt get it in order to have more funds for each team they are on. but based on what they bring to the table. they are actual true max guys.
DangeRuss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Ireland bought up a good point.. if the Spurs give Leonard the super-max the Spurs will be handicapped from improving the roster, even with Leonard coming back I don’t think a super max is warranted unless you have a good chance to make the finals.
there's only 2 players in the nba right now that deserve the super max. thats lebron james and a healthy Kawhi.

both of them shouldnt get it in order to have more funds for each team they are on. but based on what they bring to the table. they are actual true max guys.

Durant, Curry, harden, Westbrook, Davis, Giannis, Kawhi, James. Those are the true max guys imo.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject:

DangeRuss wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Durant, Curry, harden, Westbrook, Davis, Giannis, Kawhi, James. Those are the true max guys imo.

I would give it to all those guys except Westbrook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject:

I would give up Lonzo kuz and Ingram for Anthony Davis
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

You should tell Pop, I’m sure he is waiting to hear.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
I would give up Lonzo kuz and Ingram for Anthony Davis

No need, we can just watch the Pels play now
kentu_tiro
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
I call this BS just like other stars had used Lakers as bargaining chip.

Like who? I've heard this argument before, but guys can use any team as leverage, why would they always use the Lakers?

Fact - PG13 was one of those who used the Lakers as leverage. Before he signed his last max extension with Indiana years ago, he was on record saying it would be nice to play alongside Kobe his idol. Next thing you know Indy went all in and offered him a max extension which PG13 immediately signed.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject:

kentu_tiro wrote:
trablos wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Like who? I've heard this argument before, but guys can use any team as leverage, why would they always use the Lakers?

Fact - PG13 was one of those who used the Lakers as leverage. Before he signed his last max extension with Indiana years ago, he was on record saying it would be nice to play alongside Kobe his idol. Next thing you know Indy went all in and offered him a max extension which PG13 immediately signed.

Yeah but he could have easily come up with some other narrative for wanting to play for any other team. So why L.A.?
DangeRuss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
kentu_tiro wrote:
trablos wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Yeah but he could have easily come up with some other narrative for wanting to play for any other team. So why L.A.?

Cmon man, you really gotta ask that question?
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject:

The super max is literally 44 MILLION dollars a year.

IS any player really worth that much??? It hurts building your team. Unless the entire amount doesn't count against your cap?

I don't see it. Unless the cap goes up to 120 then maybe.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject:

textbook wrote:

IS any player really worth that much??? It hurts building your team. Unless the entire amount doesn't count against your cap?

If you want to build a championship team, paying someone 44 million is probably not the way to go
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
textbook wrote:

If you want to build a championship team, paying someone 44 million is probably not the way to go

Has any player got the super max? I think its a bad move for any team.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject:

textbook wrote:
defense wrote:
textbook wrote:

steph curry
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject:

Lebron James is worth a $100 m, maybe more. And if there weren't small markets arguing, he'd be playing for the Knicks or Lakers right now getting paid what he deserved. You know how much money the NBA, Clothing Companies, TNT, ESPN, YouTube (via illegal use of copyrighted video), and video game makers make off of his name world wide? And that's not saying what he does for Cleveland's economy. It went to (bleep) when he left to go to Miami. So yes, you can say no player is worth $44m, but that's far from the truth. Without a salary cap Steph and Lebron would be making more that $44m per year.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
textbook wrote:
defense wrote:
textbook wrote:

steph curry

Wall, Westbrook, Curry and Harden.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Lebron James is worth a $100 m, maybe more. And if there weren't small markets arguing, he'd be playing for the Knicks or Lakers right now getting paid what he deserved. You know how much money the NBA, Clothing Companies, TNT, ESPN, YouTube (via illegal use of copyrighted video), and video game makers make off of his name world wide? And that's not saying what he does for Cleveland's economy. It went to (bleep) when he left to go to Miami. So yes, you can say no player is worth $44m, but that's far from the truth. Without a salary cap Steph and Lebron would be making more that $44m per year.

Yes but the point remains, you have damn near half your cap space tied up on ONE player. As history has taught us, no matter how great you are, nobody wins alone. So how are you supposed to build a decent supporting cast a long with another superstar you'll need to compete when you're handicapped by 50% right out of the gate?
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

Yes but the point remains, you have damn near half your cap space tied up on ONE player. As history has taught us, no matter how great you are, nobody wins alone. So how are you supposed to build a decent supporting cast a long with another superstar you'll need to compete when you're handicapped by 50% right out of the gate?

Can you just imagine tying 44 m to one player and then have that player go down to a season ending injury on the first day of the season (like Hayward on a 44 m contract).

The risk alone would make it crazy for any team to give 44 m to a player. If that player goes down, you're going to be playing the rest of the season with essentially a bunch of scrubs.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject:

Vanquish wrote:
trablos wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

Can you just imagine tying 44 m to one player and then have that player go down to a season ending injury on the first day of the season (like Hayward on a 44 m contract).

The risk alone would make it crazy for any team to give 44 m to a player. If that player goes down, you're going to be playing the rest of the season with essentially a bunch of scrubs.

There's about 29 other teams who prob would give that 'player' the supermax if that player's available... it's the market
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

All four of the super max players made the playoffs. Two of them are in the conference finals. Two other guys still playing deserve it more than the current four who have it.

With a good front office, it can be made to work.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject:

He didn't even make all NBA this year!
Hope his rehab goes well... unless he stays a spur?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Danny Green says KL told him that he would like to stay with the Spurs.
Fun.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Danny Green says KL told him that he would like to stay with the Spurs.
Fun.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/kawhi-leonard-trade-rumors-spurs-teammate-danny-green-says-star-wants-to-stay-in-san-antonio/

"@DGreen_14 says Kawhi Leonard has personally told him he wants to stay with the Spurs."
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject:

*changes thread title to Jimmy Butler 2019 watch

**Jimmy extends, changes thread to Kris Middleton 2019 Watch

Always thought it was a looongshot for Kawhi. If the options for 2019 dry up for the Lakers (all they players they want get extended), I'd like to check out the middle tier of FA's that are worth maybe half the max and get two players or three players with that max slot.

Anyway, this will all change come July 1st
Jsthornton7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject:

First Danny Green said he thinks Kawhi wants to stay. The he said he told him that verbally. Maybe he does want to stay, but maybe he wants to play for the Lakers more. We’ll find out soon.

The best move for Kawhi is to just focus on getting healthy and then figure out what he wants to do. Well know the answer when he accepts or declines a super max offer.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject:

textbook wrote:
defense wrote:
textbook wrote:

Has any player turned it down? CP3?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 876, 877, 878  Next
Page 13 of 878
Jump to: