KAWHI LEONARD THREAD (Woj: KL to sign with Clippers who get Paul George)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 876, 877, 878  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject:

If he signs the supermax, he can be traded a year later. The notion of moving BI or whoever on the Lakers can be revisited after that, if the Spurs start to fall apart or Pop retires (contrary to basketball blogger bois beliefs, he is NOT immortal and their team is still a tier below Golden State & Houston).
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject:

So, this was all just posturing to get a supermax extension from their cheap owner who made Robinson, Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili each take paycuts? Smart. In the words of our youth, “secure the bag.” 💰
UKUGA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
UKUGA wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
The Grind wrote:
Kawhi played his cards right. Sat out the whole year with a mystery injury, and will still get his supermax.

Have there been any updates or leaked rumors as to the actual severity or recovery of the "mystery injury"? I still have not seen or heard anything since the end of season.

Not sure why any team (including the Spurs) are giving him the max or trading for him until there is some clarification.

Have to assume that any offer from the Spurs has a level of confidence it is behind him. Just not public info.

Well, since the Spurs' doctors cleared him to play months ago, perhaps the Spurs organization isn't that worried about Kawhi's health.

Isn't the disagreement Leonard and the Spurs had over this worthy of some consideration? Leonard sat out for some medical reason from his doctors. Find it hard to believe Leonard sat out for contract leverage. He was protecting his future health.

There is a difference between the Spurs clearing him to play this past season and them offering him an organization changing multi year max deal of $200M. Interested to see if offer is rumor or fact.

This is going to be another one of those free agent topics that will be interesting to see the results.

It's apparently not worth enough consideration that the Spurs aren't willing to offer this contract.

And if it was, then they've apparently taken it all into consideration and concluded that Kawhi is still worth this contract, even with the drama of the past 12 months.
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject:

Don't worry guys, I hear Jerry Buss and Mitch Kupchak will be flying soon to intercept the meeting between LeBron and Chris Paul in Houston. Apparently, whilst Chris and Bron are riding around in their banana boat, Jerry and Mitch are going to interrupt them by hopping onto the banana boat and tell them that they're building a new stadium just for the Lakers called "The Forum" in Inglewood.

Can't verify this part of the story yet, but it's rumored that Gary Vitti will also join them on the boat to stretch out LBJ's hammies.

I think we've got it locked up fellas. No need for Kawhi or anyone else.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
UKUGA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject:

methdxman wrote:
Don't worry guys, I hear Jerry Buss and Mitch Kupchak will be flying soon to intercept the meeting between LeBron and Chris Paul in Houston. Apparently, whilst Chris and Bron are riding around in their banana boat, Jerry and Mitch are going to interrupt them by hopping onto the banana boat and tell them that they're building a new stadium just for the Lakers called "The Forum" in Inglewood.

Can't verify this part of the story yet, but it's rumored that Gary Vitti will also join them on the boat to stretch out LBJ's hammies.

I think we've got it locked up fellas. No need for Kawhi or anyone else.

I miss Gary Vitti.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
The Grind wrote:
Kawhi played his cards right. Sat out the whole year with a mystery injury, and will still get his supermax.

Yep. He know if he played hurt and played subpar to the level that he’d played the previous year that his supermax would be at risk.

I do blame him one bit. These dudes are sharks and you’ve got to be one too so you don’t get “ate”. This is chess not checkers.

I wouldn't be surprised if his impending free agency + threat of signing with the Lakers (or elsewhere) played some part in forcing Spurs' hand.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
The Grind wrote:

Yep. He know if he played hurt and played subpar to the level that he’d played the previous year that his supermax would be at risk.

I do blame him one bit. These dudes are sharks and you’ve got to be one too so you don’t get “ate”. This is chess not checkers.

I wouldn't be surprised if his impending free agency + threat of signing with the Lakers (or elsewhere) played some part in forcing Spurs' hand.

No doubt, but until Woj or someone reports this, I don't put much stock in tweets from people trying to make a name.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
The Grind wrote:

So you’re saying he blew an entire season to get leverage ?
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
The Grind wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
The Grind wrote:

He and Pop weren't getting along. Teach the old man a lesson I say.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject:

cyborgspider wrote:
If he signs the supermax, he can be traded a year later. The notion of moving BI or whoever on the Lakers can be revisited after that, if the Spurs start to fall apart or Pop retires (contrary to basketball blogger bois beliefs, he is NOT immortal and their team is still a tier below Golden State & Houston).

once he signs the supermax, the price for him will be higher
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
deal wrote:
The Grind wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
The Grind wrote:

I couldn’t know. Anyway teams are better when the right coach has
the power and not diva players but this particular situation is difficult
to gage for me.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
The Grind wrote:
deal wrote:
The Grind wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
The Grind wrote:

I couldn’t know. Anyway teams are better when the right coach has
the power and not diva players but this particular situation is difficult
to gage for me.

I have no idea either lol. I'm just speculating. I do remember reading that their relation had reached a tipping point, for the worse. Maybe Kawhi decided to sit out in order to show Pop and the org how crucial he is to their success. To Pop's credit tho, he did get them to the postseason, albeit as a 7 seed.

Last edited by panamaniac on Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject:

If/When Kawhi signs the Supermax with the Spurs, he's not going anywhere.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
If/When Kawhi signs the Supermax with the Spurs, he's not going anywhere.

Good hope he does sign a killer Max deal. Then the spurs will haft to start paying to build a Tea. No more homeboy discounts
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Well-played, Kawhi. Well-played.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject:

I was leery of the Lakers investing in him when he hasn't played competitive basketball in a year.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:50 am    Post subject:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23295190/kawhi-leonard-trades-see-san-antonio-spurs-make-nba

Quote:
The Boston Celtics made an offer for Leonard at the trade deadline

Didn't know this, what did they offer that couldn't get it done?
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject:

So Woj is reporting the Lakers have interest in trading for Kawhi, as does Celts and Sixers. Now would be as good as time as ever to offer a package of Kuz and Ball (but after that dis nonsense Pop probably wont take both). Or at least Kuz, with Deng, fillers and multiple #1 picks.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23295190/kawhi-leonard-trades-see-san-antonio-spurs-make-nba

Quote:
The Boston Celtics made an offer for Leonard at the trade deadline

From the article:

Quote:
Destination: Los Angeles Lakers

Lakers get: Kawhi Leonard

Spurs get: Lonzo Ball, Kyle Kuzma, Luol Deng

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:

Once he signs the contract, he gets the money whether he stays a Spur or not.

Pop got too big for his britches and thought he was the star.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
So Woj is reporting the Lakers have interest in trading for Kawhi, as does Celts and Sixers. Now would be as good as time as ever to offer a package of Kuz and Ball (but after that dis nonsense Pop probably wont take both). Or at least Kuz, with Deng, fillers and multiple #1 picks.

Woj is getting desperate for clicks.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
King Randle wrote:

Woj is getting desperate for clicks.

Yeah, he's starting to pass supposition off as information. The players have figured out how to control the information more and half of the time now he's guessing.
UKUGA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject:

From the Woj article . . .

Quote:
If Leonard wants the Spurs to make that super-maximum contract offer --- and indications are indeed, yes, Leonard and his group want that offer -- the history of how Popovich and Spurs president RC Buford do business suggests the offer won't come without significant repairing of the relationship.

History suggests the Spurs could want to see Leonard return to the active lineup before making a super-max offer next year, see him reinvested fully into the program. To think Popovich will walk into a room after months of discontent and immediately drop that $219 million on Leonard goes against every way the Spurs have operated.

This is pretty important - assuming accurate - given the current headline/title of this thread.

And this . . .

Quote:
The NBA draft is June 21, and free agency begins July 1. Because Leonard didn't meet All-NBA criteria in 2017-18, he will need to requalify next season to become eligible again to be offered the five-year, $219 million contract in the summer of 2019. To do so, he will have to make one of the All-NBA teams, or win MVP or Defensive Player of the Year. Leonard can opt out of the final year of his contract and become a free agent next July.

So, if the Spurs resist offering Leonard the $219 million now --- and then he threatens to walk in free agency or asks for a trade this summer --- it will get complicated for San Antonio.

Will the Spurs wait out Leonard and gamble he wouldn't turn down the $219 million next year? Do the Spurs have leverage in a possible Leonard trade now? Does the marketplace limit where San Antonio can trade Leonard, because teams that don't believe they can re-sign him in 2019 would be reluctant to part with major assets in a deal?

Last edited by UKUGA on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:58 am; edited 1 time in total
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject:

clearly this is far from a done deal
UKUGA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
clearly this is far from a done deal

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 876, 877, 878  Next
Page 16 of 878
Jump to: