KAWHI LEONARD THREAD (Woj: KL to sign with Clippers who get Paul George)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 209, 210, 211 ... 876, 877, 878  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dfchang813
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Kawhi has no future with the Spurs....when you have Spurs legends like Bruce Bowen criticizing him in public they are only backing him into a corner. It will just make him more determined to not ever play for the Spurs.

Ok, you said "Spurs Legend" and "Bruce Bowen" in the same sentence. Figured that was a typo. He was nothing but a dirty scumbag player who tried to hurt players on the court.

That's what he was legendary for.
dfchang813
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject:

lakersibleed wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
I think Boston takes the gamble with some sort of Brown/Rozier/1st round package.

Would Leonard leave a lineup of Irving/Hayward/Kawhi/Horford?

I always think about risk/reward when evaluating a trade like this... If i am boston i dont even tinker with my roster... We are set...I just let them role out the ball and play with this roster.... then evaluate what we have... This is an unnecessary risk for them... You are trading away your depth and betting on alot of unknowns... Kyrie resigning?...Kawhi resigning? everyone healthy?... Stand pat and they look good to go to the championship next year and they have a ton of youth and upside... If you feel like you need another allstar wait until the trade deadline so you really no what your needs are and the deal are much much better!!

Boston was a Game 7 win away from going to the Finals. They have a great coach, a mix of young talent and All-Star level veterans, and will have both Kyrie and Gordon back next year. Lebron is leaving the East making them prohibitive favorites to go to the Finals where anything can happen in a 7 game series.

Why in the name of all that's holy would you give up assets that can weaken the depth of your team to bring in a guy who just TOLD you he wanted to go his hometown Lakers next year. You know? The LAKERS?!? Your greatest and most hated rival?

KL might just spend another year rehabbing that quadriceps tendon if that trade goes down. LoL
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject:

If Kawhi leaves Boston for the Lakers he automatically gets a statue.
dfchang813
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
If Kawhi leaves Boston for the Lakers he automatically gets a statue.

LoL. I mean I can just see it. They trade all these assets for him, he shows up, becomes a locker room cancer, torpedoes their championship hopes, and then leaves them with nothing at the end of the year.

That's worth a statue.
lakersibleed
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject:

dfchang813 wrote:
lakersibleed wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
I think Boston takes the gamble with some sort of Brown/Rozier/1st round package.

I always think about risk/reward when evaluating a trade like this... If i am boston i dont even tinker with my roster... We are set...I just let them role out the ball and play with this roster.... then evaluate what we have... This is an unnecessary risk for them... You are trading away your depth and betting on alot of unknowns... Kyrie resigning?...Kawhi resigning? everyone healthy?... Stand pat and they look good to go to the championship next year and they have a ton of youth and upside... If you feel like you need another allstar wait until the trade deadline so you really no what your needs are and the deal are much much better!!

Boston was a Game 7 win away from going to the Finals. They have a great coach, a mix of young talent and All-Star level veterans, and will have both Kyrie and Gordon back next year. Lebron is leaving the East making them prohibitive favorites to go to the Finals where anything can happen in a 7 game series.

Why in the name of all that's holy would you give up assets that can weaken the depth of your team to bring in a guy who just TOLD you he wanted to go his hometown Lakers next year. You know? The LAKERS?!? Your greatest and most hated rival?

KL might just spend another year rehabbing that quadriceps tendon if that trade goes down. LoL

Right?? Sounds more like a recipe to get FIRED, instead of a championship! If Boston trades for him, and they dont win it all next year, Kyrie walks and kawhi walks to there teams of preference Danny Ainge will probably be shown the DOOR.. lol...

Talk about egg on your face.... Kawhi signing with your long time rivals after you gave up all of those assets to acquire him.
daytripper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
The whole not trading to the West is BS imo. What happens if the league moves to 1-16 seeding?

This is all about getting the package they want and no one is biting yet.

He's not coming West. Especially with Philly having that unprotected 2021 first round pick from Miami.

Yeah that pick is the key. What a pickup. I'm sure they can trump any offer we can make since that pick is more valuable than BI, Kuz, etc. by a wide margin.

Yes I believe that Saric and that Miami pick are definitely assets the Spurs would like in any Kawhi deal. Not sure if it blows the Laker offer out of the water but the Spurs would definitely trade him to the Sixers if it's close. I'm going to assume Philly does make an offer for Kawhi after they lose out on LeBron in FA.

Boston has better assets too but they just seem overly infatuated with Brown and Tatum after their playoff run in the weak EC.

Kinda crazy this is the 2nd year in a row a Laker target, PG and now Kawhi, make waves about being dealt here a year before they are eligible to just walk here in free agency.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject:

Check your sarcasm meter...
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject:

dfchang813 wrote:

Because:

1) Once Hayward and Kyrie are back all of those assets can't play anyway.

2) You have an abundance of assets, and still will if you take a gamble and trade some.

3) If he only stays that one season you will be a title favorite. If they win next year no one is going to say what they gave up wasn't worth it.
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
The whole not trading to the West is BS imo. What happens if the league moves to 1-16 seeding?

He's not coming West. Especially with Philly having that unprotected 2021 first round pick from Miami.

I’m not saying he is...just that if a west team beat an east team in an offer, the spurs aren’t going to take the lesser package.

Boston had a better package on the table than OKC last season. These teams trying to win titles aren't going to help other teams out.
lakersibleed
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
dfchang813 wrote:

Because:

2) You have an abundance of assets, and still will if you take a gamble and trade some.

3) If he only stays that one season you will be a title favorite. If they win next year no one is going to say what they gave up wasn't worth it.

I agree with the principle if you have a shot at a title you take some risks, but why not just wait till the trade deadline if your Boston to see what other All stars might come available at a cheaper price.... I mean you have not even seen this team play healthy yet.. Plus the Kawhi risk is enhanced by the Idea that you might also lose kyrie next year... so you can lose two all star in one SUMMER and gave up your youth to do it...Its just way way to RISKY in my opinion...
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:

Ainge really values his assets. Does he give those up for Leonard who may leave a year later? Doubt it.... Leonard would have to commit to Boston before any trade there involving any of those assets.
dfchang813
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject:

daytripper wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Yeah that pick is the key. What a pickup. I'm sure they can trump any offer we can make since that pick is more valuable than BI, Kuz, etc. by a wide margin.

Yes I believe that Saric and that Miami pick are definitely assets the Spurs would like in any Kawhi deal. Not sure if it blows the Laker offer out of the water but the Spurs would definitely trade him to the Sixers if it's close. I'm going to assume Philly does make an offer for Kawhi after they lose out on LeBron in FA.

Boston has better assets too but they just seem overly infatuated with Brown and Tatum after their playoff run in the weak EC.

Kinda crazy this is the 2nd year in a row a Laker target, PG and now Kawhi, make waves about being dealt here a year before they are eligible to just walk here in free agency.

Here is what Philly has to calculate.

1. If they trade for KL does that make him good enough to get past Boston to the Finals?

2. KL will almost certainly leave them at the end of the year in free agency as PG is about to do with OKC. Is getting to the Finals to be swept by the GSW good enough to lose all those assets for a 1 year rental?

3. Is KL even ready to play at his pre-injury level for a whole year? That question can only really be answered by KL and his team because according to the Spurs KL was ready this year and he basically sat the whole year out.

With all of those considerations, the question isn't whether the Spurs will take Philly's offer or Boston's offer but why any non-LA team with non-insider knowledge would give ANY assets for KL in the first place.

Remember that for better or worse KL is NOTHING like Kyrie or PG or really any superstar in the league right now.

With a guy like Paul George for instance as a GM or organization you think you have a year to change his mind, team success, offer more money etc etc. Kawhi Leonard does NOT project the type of personality that seems amenable to that sort of thing. When he says he's going to leave at the end of the year to go to LA there's no doubt in my mind that is EXACTLY what he is going to do and as a GM I would believe him.

Read that article I posted earlier in this thread. The dude is as serious as a heart attack.

I think it would be hard to make a trade once teams actually get a chance to talk to KL and his team.
dfchang813
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
dfchang813 wrote:

Because:

Title favorite? Boston with KL does not make them title favorites over GSW.

If you have an abundance of assets you want to trade them for players that are going to STAY. Not leave after 1 year. No responsible GM does that.

Also, don't underestimate the value of a deep bench. That saves legs and energy in the long run which can swing an entire season. Look at what happened to CP3 at the end. I'm convinced you would have beaten the Warriors with a healthy CP3 in Game 7.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

FYI that move isn’t happening next season. It is definitely them looking for the package they want, as it should be. They have an extended period of time to deal him if they decide to go that route.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject:

dfchang813 wrote:
lakersibleed wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:

Well, we know Boston's shown interest in Kawhi.

No need to ask why. They do what they do.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject:

dfchang813 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
dfchang813 wrote:

Because:

Title favorite? Boston with KL does not make them title favorites over GSW.

If you have an abundance of assets you want to trade them for players that are going to STAY. Not leave after 1 year. No responsible GM does that.

Also, don't underestimate the value of a deep bench. That saves legs and energy in the long run which can swing an entire season. Look at what happened to CP3 at the end. I'm convinced you would have beaten the Warriors with a healthy CP3 in Game 7.

I can see them being title favorites because of the weak East w/ Kawhi.

Just making up some hypothetical numbers just to show it's possible.

Let's say Boston's a 90% favorite to make it out of the East and has a 40% chance of beating the West opponent. So, they'd have a 36% chance at winning the finals.

And let's say GS has a 50% chance of making it out of the West and a 70% chance of beating the East team. So, they'd have 35% chance to win the title.

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
MikeHoncho
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:
In this piece, explored the Kawhi situation a bit: Cavs have inquired, I’m told, but no traction. Spurs telling West teams to pound salt, will send him East - if anywhere at all.

https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/1010567257762684928

It's cute how Pop thinks that his team is going to contend in the next 10 years next mind next year. The Spurs will be facing some dark days and they want to alienate half of the league because they think they are going to stick it to Kawhi.

The only one they are sticking it to is themselves because Kawhi ultimately controls his own destiny next year and can control the narrative because if he doesn't care about a super max, he certainly doesn't care about that 5th year uptick that a team who trades for him gets if they offer him a 5 year contract.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject:

dfchang813 wrote:
lakersibleed wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:

I don’t see the proposed trade weakening the Celtics. Just as I don’t see a package of Ingram, Kuzma and picks weakening our team.
HAWAIIGUY27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject:

Interesting observance: I was watching this random Kawhi highlight video on YouTube:
and started to notice something... He lands on his left leg/foot on nearly every single jump following a play at the rim. And even when he lands on his right leg/foot, it's never a clean landing, almost as if he favors it and needs to stabilize his landing with his other leg. Can someone else watch this video in its entirety just focusing on his landing, and tell me if you notice it as well? Or does anyone know which leq/quad is the one that's been bothering him? It almost seems like his right leg goes dead at the landing many times, or is at least never 100%. (See 0:45-0:51, 1:30-1:33, 2:04-2:08, 2:28-2:31, 3:22-3:23 for better examples.)

And it also got me to thinking... Kawhi's sort of been known to be one of the league's major weed enthusiasts. I'm starting to think there's a connection between possible long-term chronic leg pain, and that his use of the drug has perhaps been more than just recreational for a much longer time than we think... and that maybe Spurs brass (+ Pop?) has urged Kawhi to keep his injury quiet the entire time.

Am I crazy/high?

Last edited by HAWAIIGUY27 on Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:35 am; edited 4 times in total
PostMalone24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject:

Spurs can you just please be a professional organization for once just once ^_^
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
The Spurs try to compete every year. I can see them not helping to create a super power in their own conference. Nothing in their history suggests they would do that.

Pop is a guy that refused to let someone set a record on him in an exhibition game.

So he'd help a team in the East win? How does that make sense? If you're trying to win a championship does it matter if you helped a team in one conference or the other? At some point you're going to have to face that team if you're good enough to get to the big dance.

I mean I'm sure that is his thinking because he's a petty person, and that is probably part of what is so off putting to Kawhi. But hey, if he wants to double down on hubris and pettiness, that's fine. All empires eventually crumble and Pop will get to oversee the demise of the Spurs on his watch.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
The Spurs try to compete every year. I can see them not helping to create a super power in their own conference. Nothing in their history suggests they would do that.

Pop is a guy that refused to let someone set a record on him in an exhibition game.

So he'd help a team in the East win? How does that make sense? If you're trying to win a championship does it matter if you helped a team in one conference or the other? At some point you're going to have to face that team if you're good enough to get to the big dance.

I mean I'm sure that is his thinking because he's a petty person, and that is probably part of what is so off putting to Kawhi. But hey, if he wants to double down on hubris and pettiness, that's fine. All empires eventually crumble and Pop will get to oversee the demise of the Spurs on his watch.

Are you really asking me how does it make sense to not trade your star in conference, where you and your fans will see him more in the regular season and have to go through them for sure in the playoffs to get to the Finals than sending him to a conference where you will see him twice a year and possibly not in the Finals since the team won't be as good as one with that star, LeBron and PG13?

Whatever East team he ships him to won't be as good as a LA super team and he won't have to face that team as much.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
RG73 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

Are you really asking me how does it make sense to not trade your star in conference, where you and your fans will see him more in the regular season and have to go through them for sure in the playoffs to get to the Finals than sending him to a conference where you will see him twice a year and possibly not in the Finals since the team won't be as good as one with that star, LeBron and PG13?

You have to see him one or two more times a season. OMG what a terror...
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject:

All-Stars traded in recent years:

Griffin
Kyrie
IT
PG
Butler
Cousins

3 in the same conference. 3 in opposite conference. Maybe it just doesn't matter... Who would have thought...
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject:

MikeHoncho wrote:
32 wrote:
Quote:
In this piece, explored the Kawhi situation a bit: Cavs have inquired, I’m told, but no traction. Spurs telling West teams to pound salt, will send him East - if anywhere at all.

https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/1010567257762684928

It's cute how Pop thinks that his team is going to contend in the next 10 years next mind next year. The Spurs will be facing some dark days and they want to alienate half of the league because they think they are going to stick it to Kawhi.

The only one they are sticking it to is themselves because Kawhi ultimately controls his own destiny next year and can control the narrative because if he doesn't care about a super max, he certainly doesn't care about that 5th year uptick that a team who trades for him gets if they offer him a 5 year contract.

Spurs really have no leverage. Kawhi wants to be in LA which has 2 teams. If the lakers don't have a max slot in 2019, he can easily go to the clippers, which is now being run by Jerry West.

If any team trades for Kawhi this year except us or the clippers, I think they might end up in a Dwight situation with Kawhi leaving after a year.

I think Kawhi has a ton of leverage at present. Spurs have nothing.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 209, 210, 211 ... 876, 877, 878  Next
Page 210 of 878
Jump to: