KAWHI LEONARD THREAD (Woj: KL to sign with Clippers who get Paul George)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 211, 212, 213 ... 876, 877, 878  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:
How do the Lakers get Kawhi next year if they sign Lebron and PG this year?

Not possible unless he wants to sign for a lot less than the max.

It is possible. If PG and Lebron both sign a 1 and 1 and opt out, the Lakers can take the cap space and split it up between the 3 of them. All of the, would have to take less than the max but, the big 3 did that in Miami.

That's how they can make it work.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject:

What if they mean kosher salt?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject:

The spurs got caught off guard and have mishandled this imo. Why tell the world you’re only dealing with eastern teams? You just took away half the potential for a bidding war. Dumb dumbs lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
The spurs got caught off guard and have mishandled this imo. Why tell the world you’re only dealing with eastern teams? You just took away half the potential for a bidding war. Dumb dumbs lol

That’s why I don’t believe the Amick report, telling the WC there not gonna get Kawhi Leonard is a childish act and gives teams another reason not to deal with them anymore, there not that stupid.
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:

This is how the Lakers can sign Lebron, PG, retain the bulk of their youth while creating enough flexibility to land Kawhi in 2019 if the Spurs refuse to trade him to us:

It would however come with a few sacrifices from the big 3. Consider it a small cost for the chance at history. The key is to offload Deng's contract at ALL costs! At all costs, I mean ideally 2 first round picks and a second round pick.

Lebron essentially gets the max in year 1 (a 1+1 deal) but would have to opt out in year 2 and take about $5m less to play with Kawhi. Again, this is ONLY if the Spurs refuse to trade him to us and Lebron wants to play with Kawhi. If the Spurs trade him to us, Lebron can pick up his second year option at an additional $35m

PG13 would have to consider a 2+1 deal, where he opts out in 2020 and signs the 10 year veteran rate (35% of cap space). PG would have to take a $1m pay cut in year one with a salary that reduces by 5% annually in order to make space for Kawhi. It would look something like this:
Year 1 = ~ $29m
Year 2 = ~$27.5m
Year 3 = ~26.1m (player option)

Year 3 is just for insurance if he signs a 2+1 deal as described above.

This allows us to keep Randle and at worst offer a package of Ingram and Randle for Kawhi. If the Spurs don't agree to this even past the trade deadline, we still have leverage to sign Kawhi once he's a free agent. That threat alone might make them settle into dealing with us. It breaks down as follows:

2019 Salary Cap $108,000,000.00

1 Kawhi ................................................ $30,300,000
2 Paul George ...................................... $27,515,000
3 Lonzo Ball................................................ $8,719,320
4 Lebron.................................................... $30,219,374
5 Kyle Kuzma.............................................. $1,974,600
6 Josh Hart.................................................. $1,934,160
7 2018 Cleveland 1st (25th pick)................... $1,978,200
8 Thomas Bryant Cap Hold............................ $1,803,638
9 Minimum Roster Hold $888,927
10 Minimum Roster Hold $888,927
11 Minimum Roster Hold $888,927
12 Minimum Roster Hold $888,927
Total $108,000,000

Ingram and Randle would have to be traded for two future lottery picks to an up and coming team with cap space. The key is to keep Randle at a contract where he's trade worthy (I have that somewhere around $17m/yr).

If more money is needed to accommodate the big 3, we can consider letting go of T Bryant but I personally like his potential.

I will keep repeating this post from time to time till I somehow 'speak it into existence'!!

Last edited by Zubolo on Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
eureca wrote:
Spurs can trade him out East if they want. That does not mean he won't be playing in the West come 2019.

So sure Spurs take a weaker package to send Kawhi exactly where you want. Lets see how much that pays off in a year.

What is this weaker package everyone keeps mentioning? All I have seen is a proposed Celtic deal and it is better than the proposals I have seen from the Lakers.
I don't see Ainge offering anything significant as long as KL refuses to sign an extension.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject:

Im pretty sure when Spurs say Western Conference they really mean the Lakers. They just trying to cover up their real intentions. Petty ass
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject:

1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:
I always thought the expression was to go pound sand.

Pound Sand
The concept of pounding sand is to do something pretty useless.

Pound Salt
In a nutshell it means ‘go F yourself.’ The full phrase is ‘go pound salt up your Azz,’ which was a figure of speech for ‘go do something degrading to yourself.’

Cassell’s Dictionary of Slang

POUND SALT UP YOUR AZZ! - Euphemism for ‘go to hell’

I’m pretty sure that’s what telling somebody to pound sand means.

The idiom go pound sand is an expression of contempt that often means, “Go away.” It also refers to a pointless activity. The idiom originated in American English. Native English speakers in other parts of the world are unfamiliar with it and do not use it.

The modern meanings of go pound sand originated in the 20th century. A 1948 edition of the Southeast Economist states:

From her store of memories Mrs. Mary R. Stuart of Harvard Ave, perpetrator of this column of sayings of wisecracks popular in the ‘Oh yeah?’ era, recalls that ‘go pound sand in your ears’ meant to soft-pedal the noise.

This suggests that the meaning of the phrase had only recently changed into an expression of contempt and was only just becoming popular around this time. It also implies this variation of the idiom meant something else entirely.

There are several vulgar versions of this idiom, including go pound salt up your azz and go pound sand up your azz. Max Yasgur, the man who hosted the famous Woodstock festival in 1969, reportedly told the local authorities:

Well, you can all go pound sand up your azz, because come August 15, we’re going to have a festival!
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:

Hopefully BI takes another leap forward. In which case, you won't be interested in Kawhi. Lonzo takes a leap forward. If these guys make it clear that they're on their way to becoming max players, you won't want Kawhi.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:

Hopefully BI takes another leap forward. In which case, you won't be interested in Kawhi. Lonzo takes a leap forward. If these guys make it clear that they're on their way to becoming max players, you won't want Kawhi.

Kwahi is top 5 talent when healthy. You're talking about Lebron, KD, Steph type impact. There's no way for us to see this in Ingram and Lonzo in just one more year.
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:

Kwahi is top 5 talent when healthy. You're talking about Lebron, KD, Steph type impact. There's no way for us to see this in Ingram and Lonzo in just one more year.

If Ingram makes another jump like he did last year, then no way you trade him for anyone.

If Lonzo makes a similar jump and his shooting falls more in line with what he did in college, then there is no way you trade him for anyone.

I can easy see a scenario where both happen even after adding players with the gravity of LBJ and Paul George.

Personally I hope we stick to plan A
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject:

It is important to hydrate when one pounds salt.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject:

scooterp10 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:

If Ingram makes another jump like he did last year, then no way you trade him for anyone.

If Lonzo makes a similar jump and his shooting falls more in line with what he did in college, then there is no way you trade him for anyone.

I can easy see a scenario where both happen even after adding players with the gravity of LBJ and Paul George.

Personally I hope we stick to plan A

Kwahi is like Steph or KD. You wouldn't trade Lonzo or BI for those guys? I would. Established superstars are always better than prospects. I don't know what kind of progress I would have to see from Ingram and Lonzo for me to reconsider. Well, Lonzo could play like Mitchell on offense, then I wouldn't trade him but I don't know how he could go from barely able to make a driving layup to having the sets of refined offensive skills that Mitchell already has.
ShowtimeReturns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
eureca wrote:
Spurs can trade him out East if they want. That does not mean he won't be playing in the West come 2019.

So sure Spurs take a weaker package to send Kawhi exactly where you want. Lets see how much that pays off in a year.

Yup

Looks like POP is gonna play hardball and not deal with the Lakers or give KL what he wants Oh well life goes on
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject:

Maybe not getting PG13 this year could be a blessing in disguise. Then we would have cap space to sign KL for free next summer. Screw Pop and the Spurs who don't even want to talk us. Screw them then.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Maybe not getting PG13 this year could be a blessing in disguise. Then we would have cap space to sign KL for free next summer. Screw Pop and the Spurs who don't even want to talk us. Screw them then.

would hope thats the case. we end up better by failing to meet our objective this summer

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject:

im going to hold judgement due to i dont know sam amick reputation and if thats the whole story......i just hope pg13 stays with okc. i noticed in the playoffs, he is not the same player he once was. i think the lakers can do better.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:

It is possible. If PG and Lebron both sign a 1 and 1 and opt out, the Lakers can take the cap space and split it up between the 3 of them. All of the, would have to take less than the max but, the big 3 did that in Miami.

That's how they can make it work.

What about Randle?
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:
I always thought the expression was to go pound sand.

Pound Sand
The concept of pounding sand is to do something pretty useless.

Pound Salt
In a nutshell it means ‘go F yourself.’ The full phrase is ‘go pound salt up your Azz,’ which was a figure of speech for ‘go do something degrading to yourself.’

Cassell’s Dictionary of Slang

POUND SALT UP YOUR AZZ! - Euphemism for ‘go to hell’

I’m pretty sure that’s what telling somebody to pound sand means.

The idiom go pound sand is an expression of contempt that often means, “Go away.” It also refers to a pointless activity. The idiom originated in American English. Native English speakers in other parts of the world are unfamiliar with it and do not use it.

The modern meanings of go pound sand originated in the 20th century. A 1948 edition of the Southeast Economist states:

From her store of memories Mrs. Mary R. Stuart of Harvard Ave, perpetrator of this column of sayings of wisecracks popular in the ‘Oh yeah?’ era, recalls that ‘go pound sand in your ears’ meant to soft-pedal the noise.

This suggests that the meaning of the phrase had only recently changed into an expression of contempt and was only just becoming popular around this time. It also implies this variation of the idiom meant something else entirely.

There are several vulgar versions of this idiom, including go pound salt up your azz and go pound sand up your azz. Max Yasgur, the man who hosted the famous Woodstock festival in 1969, reportedly told the local authorities:

Well, you can all go pound sand up your azz, because come August 15, we’re going to have a festival!

Thanks for sharing, LongBeachPoly Amazing you have a "Pound Sand" reference to Max Yasgur, the farmer who owned the land/woodstock!

Amazing, what one can learn on LG!
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject:

Great work Zubolo! Based on your analysis, it not only appears possible to land KL next year, but also somewhat intriguing to PG13 and LBJ/

I do believe LBJ has to "show" that he's willing to take one (or rather take less) for the team! Only then will some of us (me included) who are not huge fans of his, may turn around...

Zubolo wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:

This is how the Lakers can sign Lebron, PG, retain the bulk of their youth while creating enough flexibility to land Kawhi in 2019 if the Spurs refuse to trade him to us:

It would however come with a few sacrifices from the big 3. Consider it a small cost for the chance at history. The key is to offload Deng's contract at ALL costs! At all costs, I mean ideally 2 first round picks and a second round pick.

Lebron essentially gets the max in year 1 (a 1+1 deal) but would have to opt out in year 2 and take about $5m less to play with Kawhi. Again, this is ONLY if the Spurs refuse to trade him to us and Lebron wants to play with Kawhi. If the Spurs trade him to us, Lebron can pick up his second year option at an additional $35m

PG13 would have to consider a 2+1 deal, where he opts out in 2020 and signs the 10 year veteran rate (35% of cap space). PG would have to take a $1m pay cut in year one with a salary that reduces by 5% annually in order to make space for Kawhi. It would look something like this:
Year 1 = ~ $29m
Year 2 = ~$27.5m

This allows us to keep Randle and at worst offer a package of Ingram and Randle for Kawhi. If the Spurs don't agree to this even past the trade deadline, we still have leverage to sign Kawhi once he's a free agent. That threat alone might make them settle into dealing with us. It breaks down as follows:

Total $108,000,000

Ingram and Randle would have to be traded for two future lottery picks to an up and coming team with cap space. The key is to keep Randle at a contract where he's trade worthy (I have that somewhere around $17m/yr).

If more money is needed to accommodate the big 3, we can consider letting go of T Bryant but I personally like his potential.

I will keep repeating this post from time to time till I somehow 'speak it into existence'!!

lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

would hope thats the case. we end up better by failing to meet our objective this summer

It does work out better since we wouldn't have to lose Ingram. So I'm not gonna be too sad if we didn't get PG13.
Jsthornton7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject:

clutchkobe wrote:
im going to hold judgement due to i dont know sam amick reputation and if thats the whole story......i just hope pg13 stays with okc. i noticed in the playoffs, he is not the same player he once was. i think the lakers can do better.

Sam Amick is legit.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject:

Jsthornton7 wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:

Sam Amick is legit.

He has legit sources, yes. But he could just simply be saying what his source wants him to say to spin it to their narrative. Half of the stuff we hear about, or maybe more, are just the reporters acting as mouthpieces for their sources.
Jsthornton7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject:

lakerdynasty5.0 wrote:
Great work Zubolo! Based on your analysis, it not only appears possible to land KL next year, but also somewhat intriguing to PG13 and LBJ/

I do believe LBJ has to "show" that he's willing to take one (or rather take less) for the team! Only then will some of us (me included) who are not huge fans of his, may turn around...

Zubolo wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:

Year 1 = ~ $29m
Year 2 = ~$27.5m

Total $108,000,000

I think the issue with this is that Lebron has already taken less money in Miami and he was one of the main people as VP of the players union to fight for these salaries. I think it would be a big FU to all the players if he took less money again, but who knows.. it’s a great theory.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject:

Zubolo wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:

Year 1 = ~ $29m
Year 2 = ~$27.5m

Total $108,000,000

Bring George and Leonard’s salary down to 26 mill (saves 6 million), do not resign Randle to 17 mill (too risky to sign him at that number then trade him), eliminate Bryant’s caphold (saves one million), and do not trade Ingram (use the additional 7 mill in cuts I just described to retain him).

There is no need to trade Ingram. If all of he big three take 4 million dollar paycuts, he can stay.

Let Randle walk unless he can be retained at a very easily tradeable contract, somewhere at or under 12 mill.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 211, 212, 213 ... 876, 877, 878  Next
Page 212 of 878
Jump to: