KAWHI LEONARD THREAD (Woj: KL to sign with Clippers who get Paul George)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 517, 518, 519 ... 876, 877, 878  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeHoncho
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
https://twitter.com/sheridanhoops/status/1018244833520046081?s=21

https://twitter.com/sheridanhoops/status/1018439286109163520?s=21

Sheridan is a complete nutjob.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject:

MikeHoncho wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

He has been accurate on a few things. Not saying Kawhi ends up in NY but Sheridan does have decent sources and intel on what’s going on around the league.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject:

More reasons not to trade for Kwahi.

- Dwight scenario: if he doesn’t like playing in LA with LeBron he can just bolt to his 2nd home in NY, another Dwightmare scenario all over again, worst if the Lakers traded a lot to get him and not getting anything back in return

- Mystery injury: no team is certain if he’ll be back to ever being 100%, all we saw from last season is he basically averaged what Brandon Ingram did, while not being able to stay on the court

Last edited by Lonzo-Lite on Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject:

MikeHoncho wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

I speculate that this is Leonard’s camp trying to open things up now that “LA or Nothing” is starting to look like “Nothing,” at least for the coming season. Sheridan is indeed a hack, but I doubt that he would stick his neck out unless someone was giving him encouragement.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject:

Lonzo-Lite wrote:

- Dwight scenario: if he doesn’t like playing in LA with LeBron he can just bolt to his 2nd home in NY, another Dwightmare scenario all over again, worst if the Lakers traded a lot to get him and not getting anything back in return

- Mystery injury: no team is certain if he’ll be back to ever being 100%, all we saw from last season is he basically averaged what Brandon Ingram did, while not being able to stay on the court

/thread

trading for him would be a major blunder.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:

/thread

trading for him would be a major blunder.

I also think the trade for kawhi ship has sailed. Too many red flags to give up anything in a trade.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject:

All that would happen if Kawhi continued to refuse to not play is his reputation would take an even more downward spiral than it's beginning to now.

Because it goes one of two ways.

1) He's not healthy yet still, in which case no team wants him.

2) He is healthy but is trying to find loopholes to stay off the court while still taking his money. In which case, no team is going to want to touch a player with that mentality or audacity.

So either way, he's in a lose/lose.

And THEN if he DOES play, but can't stay on the court, then he tanks his value even further.

Some of the pundits were on his side at the start, but the longer this drags on, the more they've started to turn on him, and as the season gets closer the pressure slowly dissipates from the Spurs and starts to shine on Kawhi as we close in on opening night.
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject:

The spurs aren’t going to play it or even allow him to be in the locker room if he’s not traded by the start of the season. Not sure why people would even think he would play a single game.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject:

The Spurs aren't intentionally keep Kawhi out from playing.

If Kawhi is healthy, they're going to make him play and he'll just have to endure. If he isn't healthy, than it tells other teams all they need to know.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject:

I hope he plays and has an MVP season — and then walks to the Lakers
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject:

MikeHoncho wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

for some reason, every time someone mentions Sheridan....I picture a John McAfee roaming an island in flip flops drinking cheap beer saying crazy (bleep).
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

If Kawhi is healthy, they're going to make him play and he'll just have to endure. If he isn't healthy, than it tells other teams all they need to know.

easy in theory.....nearly impossible in practice. If he says he is injured, their only option would be to sue to contract breach, and good luck getting a good free agent in the next few decades.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
I also think the trade for kawhi ship has sailed. Too many red flags to give up anything in a trade.

Magic sent this signal pretty strongly. We could still see a deadline deal or something like that. But for now, we're going to play the cards in our hand. I am not sold on some of those cards (Rondo, McGee, Stephenson), but I approve of not burning any assets on Leonard unless and until we know that he is healthy and that his head is in a good place.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
MJST wrote:

easy in theory.....nearly impossible in practice. If he says he is injured, their only option would be to sue to contract breach, and good luck getting a good free agent in the next few decades.

It would not go down that way under the CBA, but I will spare you the details because I don't see it playing out that way. Anyway, if Leonard pulled a stunt like that, I think it would have zero impact on future free agents. In fact, I think most players would make public statements of support for Leonard, but in private would be shaking their heads at him.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Some of the pundits were on his side at the start, but the longer this drags on, the more they've started to turn on him, and as the season gets closer the pressure slowly dissipates from the Spurs and starts to shine on Kawhi as we close in on opening night.

I don't know that pundits create much in the way of pressure on anyone. They generally cancel each other out. But yes, Leonard's mouthpieces have not done him any favors in the court of NBA public opinion.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject:

Lonzo-Lite wrote:

Agreed. Get him in free agency or not at all. I prefer to see what BI and Kuz bring to the table for this entire upcoming season.
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject:

He’s not going to play or even be in the locker room. This is already turning into a circus. Imagine being around the locker room with this guy, then getting booed by the home crowd every time he touches the ball? Absolutely not going to play if he’s not traded by the start of the season. Also there is no incentive for the Spurs to show he is healthy considering there is only 1-2 teams showing interest.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:
MJST wrote:

It would not go down that way under the CBA, but I will spare you the details because I don't see it playing out that way. Anyway, if Leonard pulled a stunt like that, I think it would have zero impact on future free agents. In fact, I think most players would make public statements of support for Leonard, but in private would be shaking their heads at him.

I assume it would enter some form of arbitration? My point stands that it remains mostly a "he said, she said" case if he claims he is injured...it would be a long drawn out process....and what would the Spurs win in the end?
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject:

KL will never don a Spurs uniform again. His worth is dropping like a lead balloon each day the Spurs wait. They are faced with getting decent value from the Lakers or cutting their nose despite their face (knowing he wants to be a Laker) and getting less from other teams.
Johnny Cage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
MJST wrote:

As much as we all dislike San Antonio, if Kawhi really does fake injury to miss the upcoming season just because he doesn’t want to be there, that would be the most chicken-sh*t thing a pro athlete has ever done, and I would want no part of him being on the Lakers at that point.

That’s a terrible precedent to set for the NBA; That contracts mean nothing and players can do whatever they please, while still being paid millions, without punishment or retribution. It’s literally a form of stealing tbh.
Johnny Cage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject:

george w kush wrote:
He’s not going to play or even be in the locker room. This is already turning into a circus. Imagine being around the locker room with this guy, then getting booed by the home crowd every time he touches the ball? Absolutely not going to play if he’s not traded by the start of the season. Also there is no incentive for the Spurs to show he is healthy considering there is only 1-2 teams showing interest.

That’s what I’m thinking. At this point, it DOES make the most sense to bring him back this season. If the Spurs really are getting lowballed this badly, as all reports indicate, then bring him back and let him show that he is healthy and still the top-3 player he was before last season. If he does that, I guarantee you teams will be more likely to give up more for him, in hopes that they will re-sign him next summer. That’s likely what their line of thinking is right now.
Johnny Cage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
KL will never don a Spurs uniform again. His worth is dropping like a lead balloon each day the Spurs wait. They are faced with getting decent value from the Lakers or cutting their nose despite their face (knowing he wants to be a Laker) and getting less from other teams.

Your own comment is exactly why I think they WILL bring him into camp. They are not going to just give him away simply because the offers are crap. He’s a top-4 player in the league and a legit Superstar/franchise-altering talent, you don’t just dump him to avoid locker-room awkwardness. They would rather hold onto him for a year and lose him for nothing than take an awful deal that would give them nothing but dead salary. Make him honor his contract, come into training camp, and show other teams that he is healthy so that they ARE willing to give up some actual assets for him.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I assume it would enter some form of arbitration? My point stands that it remains mostly a "he said, she said" case if he claims he is injured...it would be a long drawn out process....and what would the Spurs win in the end?

They would not be required to pay his salary.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:

Is that you, Ric Bucher?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:

They would not be required to pay his salary.

yeah....just my personal opinion, the process is simply not worth it for San Antonio....especially risking a loss in arbitration. On the other hand, I can see the league pushing SA to take such action to prevent it from being done in the future. I would think the quicker SA can move him....and move on, the better as long as they are getting some value from the trade. Seems like Philly will be the destination.

Last edited by adkindo on Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 517, 518, 519 ... 876, 877, 878  Next
Page 518 of 878
Jump to: