KAWHI LEONARD THREAD (Woj: KL to sign with Clippers who get Paul George)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 115, 116, 117 ... 876, 877, 878  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShowtimeReturns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject:

Mini Mamba wrote:
Does anybody else think Kawhi could be the next Derrick Rose?

What if the injury is more serious than anybody thought Isaiah Thomas comes to mind The risk is not worth giving up Ingram and Kuzma imo
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject:

What do you guys think is more likely?

Ingram and Kuzma reaching their potential? Or Kawhi returning back to pre-injury form and staying healthy long term?
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject:

Only way I'd trade for kawhi is if it includes deng.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ESPNLosAngeles/status/1008755849949409280

We all know that this holds significance especially when GP is respected around the NBA
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject:

ShowtimeReturns wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:
Does anybody else think Kawhi could be the next Derrick Rose?

What if the injury is more serious than anybody thought Isaiah Thomas comes to mind The risk is not worth giving up Ingram and Kuzma imo

Could be even worst, Brandon Roy worst.

https://www.drdavidgeier.com/kawhi-leonard-quadriceps-tendinopathy/

Quote:
Leonard, widely felt to be one of the five best players in the NBA, has missed almost all season with quadriceps tendinopathy in his knee. This injury consists of a small area within the quadriceps tendon just above the kneecap developing some degeneration. Usually rest, ice and physical therapy work to help a player recover and return to play. Sometimes the normal treatments just don’t work.

https://www.si.com/si-wire/2011/12/09/report-brandon-roy-to-retire-due-to-degenerative-knees

Quote:
Portland Trail Blazers guard Brandon Roy will announce his retirement as soon as today due to degenerative knees.

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject:

Mini Mamba wrote:

Ingram and Kuzma reaching their potential? Or Kawhi returning back to pre-injury form and staying healthy long term?

depends on what you consider their potential to be

more likely for Kawhi to return to form or for one or both of Ingram/Koozy to make an all-star team?

I say the former if that's the case
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject:

Max Kellerman thinks Kawhi is Laker bound
DMAULS
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Max Kellerman thinks Kawhi is Laker bound

Kellerman needs to stick to boxing.
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject:

Mini Mamba wrote:

Ingram and Kuzma
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject:

Mini Mamba wrote:

Do I think Kawhi capable of sustaining his career averages of 16PPG 6 RPG and 2 APG.... yes.

Do I think of Ingram capable of improving on his 2nd year averages of 16 PPG
5 RPG and 4 APG... yes

Do I think of Kuzma capable of improving on his rookie averages of 16 PPG 6 RPG and 2 APG... yes.

Do I think Ingram and Kuzma capable of becoming defensive player of the years? Not likely

Do I think Kawhi capable of sustaining DPOY performances with a bad quad? less likely

Do I think BI and Kuzma are capable of narrowing the vast chasm between their defensive abilities and Kawhi's? Yes. Especially Ingram.

Do I think Kawhi will ultimately be able to replace the production of two eventual 20 PPG 8 RPG players? No.

This isn't trading Dave Meyers or Junior Bridgeman or Brian Winters for Kareem... Kareem was a 32 PPG 16 RPG type player when he was traded

This is trading 2 16 PPG players who will eventually be 20 PPG players for another player whose ceiling is 25... and average is 16.

They... are... already... more... productive... offensively... than Kawhi was at the same age.

And this is a best case scenario only losing two. We will probably lose Randle as well. And a draft pick who could be Mitchell Robinson or Anfernee Simons.

What the f are we doing people?
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:

Do I think Kawhi capable of sustaining his career averages of 16PPG 6 RPG and 2 APG.... yes.

5 RPG and 4 APG... yes

Do I think of Kuzma capable of improving on his rookie averages of 16 PPG 6 RPG and 2 APG... yes.

Do I think Ingram and Kuzma capable of becoming defensive player of the years? Not likely

Do I think Kawhi capable of sustaining DPOY performances with a bad quad? less likely

Do I think BI and Kuzma are capable of narrowing the vast chasm between their defensive abilities and Kawhi's? Yes. Especially Ingram.

Do I think Kawhi will ultimately be able to replace the production of two eventual 20 PPG 8 RPG players? No.

This isn't trading Dave Meyers or Junior Bridgeman or Brian Winters for Kareem... Kareem was a 32 PPG 16 RPG type player when he was traded

This is trading 2 16 PPG players who will eventually be 20 PPG players for another player whose ceiling is 25... and average is 16.

They... are... already... more... productive... offensively... than Kawhi was at the same age.

And this is a best case scenario only losing two. We will probably lose Randle as well. And a draft pick who could be Mitchell Robinson or Anfernee Simons.

This.
HAWAIIGUY27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject:

Guys, I know we're all excited by the Kawhi news right now but..

Ball/#25*/Caruso
George/Hart
Ingram/Carter**/Mykhailiuk
James/Kuzma/Deng
Lopez/Zubac/Bryant

*DiVincenzo, Allen, Huerter (move to SG)
**or Babbitt, Afflalo

...would still be a damn good roster and probably a Top 4 team in the West. Being that LBJ and PG seem likely, we're in pretty good shape.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject:

Any trade for KL probably would require letting go of Kuz or Ingram. It should not, however, include both. That would be ridiculous.
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:

5 RPG and 4 APG... yes

Yup it’s stupid
ShowtimeReturns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:

5 RPG and 4 APG... yes

Completely agree the asking price is going to be way to high and who knows if that injury is going to be an ongoing situation On to the original plan pursue Lebron and PG and keeping ALL the young guns
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject:

Grass is green af on our side. Kawhi might kill it on his come back, but I really don’t want to see Kuz and BI in SA; not with as much work as those two have been putting in. They are the foundation.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:
Spurs believe Kawhi Leonard's injury is more serious than his camp is letting on. This was all the way back on May 1st:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2773680-kawhi-leonard-rumors-spurs-stars-camp-disagree-on-injury-diagnosis

Quote:
The Spurs have always called the injury quadriceps tendinopathy, which is a disease of the tendon that has a degenerative effect on the muscle by keeping it in a constant state of exhaustion.

Yeah, no thank you. This is the type of thing that can set you back a decade. If Kawhi is never fully healthy again, and Lebron and/or PG do short contracts....that's catastrophic. 5 years of tanking and lotto picks all gone. And we'd likely be out some future draft picks from unloading Deng and/or trading for Kawhi. This is Brooklyn Nets territory.

Honestly this seems more risky than signing Boogie off his achilles. At least that would be a shorter deal and cost less (if any) assets.

Why would we lose 5 yrs of tanking in a trade for Kawhi?

2014 - Julius Randle - restricted free agent
2015 - Dlo - already traded to Nets
2016 - Ingram
2017 - Lonzo + Kuzma
2018 - lost draft pick to Philly in Nash trade

Randle - renounced to fit Kawhi
DLO - traded to create cap space
Ingram/Lonzo/Kuzma/Hart - between trading Kawhi and dumping Deng, 3 of these guys are gone
2019 pick - probably moved in Deng trade
2021 pick - moved in Deng or Kawhi trade

If Lebron and PG sign short deals and find themselves on roster of journeymen and a perpetually injured Kawhi...they could both be gone. What's left on this roster?

1) If we’re trading for Kawhi, why would we need to renounce Randle?
2) Dlo was traded for cap space. How does that tie into Kawhi? Dlo was traded last yr. Kawhi just became available. How does one tie into the other?
3) How does dumping Deng tie into Kawhi? Why would u need to dump Deng to trade for Kawhi?
4) How is the 2019 n 2021 picks a part of tanking if they r projected to be late first rd picks? And how does dumping Deng tie into trading for Kawhi? And initially u said 5 yrs of tanking gone - that’s 2014-2018 right? Are we now including 2019 n 2021 as tanking yrs as well?
5) If we don’t trade for Kawhi, haven’t we already lost 2 tanking yrs? 2015 n 2018? Those assets r gone.

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:05 am; edited 2 times in total
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject:

ShowtimeReturns wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:

5 RPG and 4 APG... yes

Completely agree the asking price is going to be way to high and who knows if that injury is going to be an ongoing situation On to the original plan pursue Lebron and PG and keeping ALL the young guns

Hopefully this is what Magic and Rob are thinking and plan on doing this summer.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject:

Wildchild027 wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
BTW, between the four conference final teams, Gerald Green was the only "vet minimum" guy. So i'm not sure the "vet min ring chaser" market is as robust as we'd like to imagine it.

The vet min for David West isn't 800 K, it's 1.4 million. Javele McGee made that amount, as well as LMAM. Derrick Rose and Jeff Green also made that amount for the Cavs.

GOod to know. All the salary cap projections I've seen have slots for 800k. So how 1.4 mil guys affect that situation?
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
BTW, between the four conference final teams, Gerald Green was the only "vet minimum" guy. So i'm not sure the "vet min ring chaser" market is as robust as we'd like to imagine it.

The vet min for David West isn't 800 K, it's 1.4 million. Javele McGee made that amount, as well as LMAM. Derrick Rose and Jeff Green also made that amount for the Cavs.

GOod to know. All the salary cap projections I've seen have slots for 800k. So how 1.4 mil guys affect that situation?

it does not. Thus it is called 'exception'
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
Any trade for KL probably would require letting go of Kuz or Ingram. It should not, however, include both. That would be ridiculous.

Kuzma is the guy to keep and I think that's how Magic feels too.

I easily see them moving BI and Lonzo (Lavar to thank for that) before Kuzma.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:

The psychology of LG never ceases to fascinate me. I don't mean this as a poke at anyone (including you, EB). There is just a repeated process of (1) dreaming of getting Player X, (2) swearing that everyone is expendable if we could just get Player X, (3) ecstasy at a rumor that Player X might be available, (4) anticipatory buyer's remorse, and (5) declarations that we should only offer Jordan Farmar and a second round draft pick for Player X. I don't know how many times I've seen this. The earliest one I remember was Carlos Boozer.

Anyway, let's assume for sake of discussion that Kawhi is healthy. Unless and until we determine that he is healthy, we shouldn't even be offering the ghost of Jordan Farmar for him. This should be obvious. We will not be making any deals in the dark. If it is a gamble, we should just say no.

If he is healthy, then all of the talk about Ingram and Kuzma is silly. A healthy Kawhi is one of the top five players in the league. Ingram and Kuzma are not top 50 players in the league, and they may never get there. 2017 Kawhi averaged 25.5 ppg, was third in the MVP voting, was first team all-NBA, and was first team all defense. Oh, yeah, if Kawhi is on the table, we can part with Ingram and Kuzma if the Spurs will take them.

There will be other teams coming out of the woodwork looking to get a shot at Kawhi. Even though we have a long term advantage, that doesn't mean that other teams won't take their chances. After all, we may not have the cap space to sign him next summer anyway.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:
Spurs believe Kawhi Leonard's injury is more serious than his camp is letting on. This was all the way back on May 1st:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2773680-kawhi-leonard-rumors-spurs-stars-camp-disagree-on-injury-diagnosis

Quote:
The Spurs have always called the injury quadriceps tendinopathy, which is a disease of the tendon that has a degenerative effect on the muscle by keeping it in a constant state of exhaustion.

Yeah, no thank you. This is the type of thing that can set you back a decade. If Kawhi is never fully healthy again, and Lebron and/or PG do short contracts....that's catastrophic. 5 years of tanking and lotto picks all gone. And we'd likely be out some future draft picks from unloading Deng and/or trading for Kawhi. This is Brooklyn Nets territory.

Honestly this seems more risky than signing Boogie off his achilles. At least that would be a shorter deal and cost less (if any) assets.

Why would we lose 5 yrs of tanking in a trade for Kawhi?

2014 - Julius Randle - restricted free agent
2015 - Dlo - already traded to Nets
2016 - Ingram
2017 - Lonzo + Kuzma
2018 - lost draft pick to Philly in Nash trade

Randle - renounced to fit Kawhi
DLO - traded to create cap space
Ingram/Lonzo/Kuzma/Hart - between trading Kawhi and dumping Deng, 3 of these guys are gone
2019 pick - probably moved in Deng trade
2021 pick - moved in Deng or Kawhi trade

If Lebron and PG sign short deals and find themselves on roster of journeymen and a perpetually injured Kawhi...they could both be gone. What's left on this roster?

1) If we’re trading for Kawhi, why would we need to renounce Randle?
2) Dlo was traded for cap space. How does that tie into Kawhi? Dlo was traded last yr. Kawhi just became available. How does one tie into the other?
3) How does dumping Deng tie into Kawhi? Why would u need to dump Deng to trade for Kawhi?
4) How is the 2019 n 2021 picks a part of tanking if they r projected to be late first rd picks? And how does dumping Deng tie into trading for Kawhi? And initially u said 5 yrs of tanking gone - that’s 2014-2018 right? Are we now including 2019 n 2021 as tanking yrs as well?

Because everybody acts like we have a caphold of 35mil in LBron and LBron will be the 1st domino.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
The Cavs talk can be a smokescreen to make the Lakers up there offer, just imagine how nervous Magic would be if the Cavs traded for KL and he found out that LeBron was considering staying in Cleveland.

So they up an offer that they never made?
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:

Kuzma is the guy to keep and I think that's how Magic feels too.

I easily see them moving BI and Lonzo (Lavar to thank for that) before Kuzma.

yeah also we don't need to give BI + Kuz when he is basically saying only LA
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 115, 116, 117 ... 876, 877, 878  Next
Page 116 of 878
Jump to: