TV advice
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject:

LINK LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
You want the following if you aren't getting an OLED.

1. Full array local dimming.
2. High Contrast.'
3 4k/Smart is pretty much a given in any TV these days.,

That rules out every entry level model. In it's price point, the TCL 55P607 is hands down the best bang for the buck. Read up the reviews on it. Check out rtngs.com or any other review on this model. Also, Best Buy has their own variant (identical except a cheaper remote) called the TCL 55P605 for $599. Be advised they're updating this model this year.

In any event, I have a Samsung 55MU6300 in my bedroom and in comparison, it's not even close. You'd have to move up to the 8000 line to get local dimming like the 55P607. HDR is pretty much false advertising in these lower end models since the panel simply cannot display it. Doesn't matter the brand, it's all similar crap among Tv's of the same class. If none of this matters, I'd get the biggest option I can for the price. Even the bottom of the line TV's great these days. My sister got an LG 70" at Costco on sale for $999 2 years ago. It's fantastic, but like everything, there are levels.

Totally different question, but any suggestions for a 24" monitor? Mostly to play my PS4 (not Pro) on? (Other use case is work, i.e. programming.)
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject:

Take a peek at the 2017 models that are being discontinued. For example, a Sony XBR55X900E, a good midrange TV, can be had in the ~$1000 range (https://www.frys.com/product/9092357?store=14&source=google&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImM-8z7LR2wIVx2F-Ch1g5AzHEAYYASABEgKPlvD_BwE) maybe less. It has what you want (rates an excellent 8.7 on glare https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900e) and is HDCP 2.2, which could matter some day.

Last edited by ribeye on Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject:

I would go with this one: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-55-led-nu8000-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6199827.p?skuId=6199827

If you plan on playing video games on the TV, you might want to consider input lag time.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

2. High Contrast.'

That rules out every entry level model. In it's price point, the TCL 55P607 is hands down the best bang for the buck. Read up the reviews on it. Check out rtngs.com or any other review on this model. Also, Best Buy has their own variant (identical except a cheaper remote) called the TCL 55P605 for $599. Be advised they're updating this model this year.

In any event, I have a Samsung 55MU6300 in my bedroom and in comparison, it's not even close. You'd have to move up to the 8000 line to get local dimming like the 55P607. HDR is pretty much false advertising in these lower end models since the panel simply cannot display it. Doesn't matter the brand, it's all similar crap among Tv's of the same class. If none of this matters, I'd get the biggest option I can for the price. Even the bottom of the line TV's great these days. My sister got an LG 70" at Costco on sale for $999 2 years ago. It's fantastic, but like everything, there are levels.

Totally different question, but any suggestions for a 24" monitor? Mostly to play my PS4 (not Pro) on? (Other use case is work, i.e. programming.)

Budget? Resolution?
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
tox wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

2. High Contrast.'

Budget? Resolution?

Well the PS4 is locked in at 1080p @ 30fps, and I don't need high resolution to code. 30Hz is probably too slow, so I'd say at a minimum, 1080p/60Hz. That said, it obviously wouldn't hurt to have higher resolution (or refresh rate), so if the price difference is small, I'd opt for the higher resolution/ refresh rate one.

As far as budget goes, I don't really have one. But at some point there are diminishing returns for the increased price and I'd like to get something cheaper than that point. So I definitely don't want some cheap POS, but at the same point I'm not interested in spending a ton for a 24" monitor either.

Is that enough info? Appreciate your help
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
IMO, go with Samsung. I have 4 flat panels ranging from 42” to 60” in my house and they are all Samsungs.

You can get one at Best Buy at 55” size for around $650 now.

Yeah. Before I broke up with my ex, I bought a whole apartment of furniture. I’ve been living where I am for a few months (I thought I’d only be here temporarily and thus didn’t open a lot of stuff out of boxes) and just hooked up my Samsung 4K Ultra to my PlayStation and threw in a Blu Ray film. The picture is absolutely insanely good. By far the best tv I’ve ever had.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: