what happens if randle takes the QO?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
nomoreshaq
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 21 Jun 2004
Posts: 3608

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: what happens if randle takes the QO?

1. can we resign him for "max" next year?
2. can we then add max lebron and max PG (stretch deng)?
3. is there a 1% chance randle takes the QO (wink wink)?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2002
Posts: 11515

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject:

If he takes the QO, we sign 2 max players and Randle is a FA in 2019.

Does he then trust us to give him the max? Or does he put up monster numbers and go into what will be a players market?

Tough call.
_________________
Suck it, whiners. I have TWC!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
AFireInside619
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Dec 2015
Posts: 4665
Location: San Diego, California

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject:

I don't see Randle taking the QO. He has nothing to gain unless all he receives are lowball offers, which won't happen. Plus he's knows better than anyone about freak injuries in the NBA.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 12036
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject:

I'd say the odds of Randle taking the QO are less than the odds of pulling off an extend-and-stretch with Deng.
_________________
For #25: Huerter, Jontay, Okogie, DiVincenzo, Holiday, Brunson, Melton
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 81292
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject:

If he takes the QO, heís an unrestricted free agent next year.
_________________
Tolerance is an agreement to live in peace, not an agreement to be peaceful no matter the conduct of others. A peace treaty is not a suicide pact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Judah
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2015
Posts: 2262

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject:

Mintz would never let Randle do that. He'd be the worst agent in the league if he did. There's just no incentive for Randle to do it.
_________________
"We shall never be clothed with the righteousness of Christ except we first know assuredly that we have no righteousness of our own."

- John Calvin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 12036
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Mintz would never let Randle do that. He'd be the worst agent in the league if he did. There's just no incentive for Randle to do it.


The one incentive is what Omar said--he could guarantee the team of his choosing after this season--but I agree, it's just too much to risk. But in theory, the Lakers could match any offer and then trade him next season, and then he might get stuck in a place where he really doesn't want to be.

Still, he could be looking at a $70MM guarantee (or more), compared to, what, less than $5MM? I just can't see him doing that.
_________________
For #25: Huerter, Jontay, Okogie, DiVincenzo, Holiday, Brunson, Melton
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 19 Apr 2003
Posts: 17737
Location: La Jolla, San Diego

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
If he takes the QO, we sign 2 max players and Randle is a FA in 2019.

Does he then trust us to give him the max? Or does he put up monster numbers and go into what will be a players market?

Tough call.


There won't be any monster numbers with 2 max guys on the team. That's why I'm skeptical that he would even want to stay if we do get two max guys. He's young and probably has personal goals.
_________________
"They are in the West! You must go D'Angelo Russell here, or my head will explode!" Jalen Rose
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 81292
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Judah wrote:
Mintz would never let Randle do that. He'd be the worst agent in the league if he did. There's just no incentive for Randle to do it.


The one incentive is what Omar said--he could guarantee the team of his choosing after this season--but I agree, it's just too much to risk. But in theory, the Lakers could match any offer and then trade him next season, and then he might get stuck in a place where he really doesn't want to be.

Still, he could be looking at a $70MM guarantee (or more), compared to, what, less than $5MM? I just can't see him doing that.


The only way heíd do it imo is if they talk him into helping out for a year. Given the up and downs of the relationship and the risk involved, not likely.
_________________
Tolerance is an agreement to live in peace, not an agreement to be peaceful no matter the conduct of others. A peace treaty is not a suicide pact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Jsthornton7
Sixth Man
Sixth Man


Joined: 05 May 2018
Posts: 63

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject:

I canít imagine he would decline the qualifying offer. Especially as a player who knows what itís like to miss an entire season due to injury. If you have roughly $80m on the table you take it.

I feel like when it comes to Randle, my preference would be for the Lakers to work something out before someone makes an offer in RFA as I think that will ultimately provide better value.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 81292
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject:

Jsthornton7 wrote:
I canít imagine he would decline the qualifying offer. Especially as a player who knows what itís like to miss an entire season due to injury. If you have roughly $80m on the table you take it.

I feel like when it comes to Randle, my preference would be for the Lakers to work something out before someone makes an offer in RFA as I think that will ultimately provide better value.


80 mil isnít the qualifying offer. Itís one year, around und 5.5 mil.
_________________
Tolerance is an agreement to live in peace, not an agreement to be peaceful no matter the conduct of others. A peace treaty is not a suicide pact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 08 Jan 2013
Posts: 5337

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject:

Jsthornton7 wrote:
I canít imagine he would decline the qualifying offer. Especially as a player who knows what itís like to miss an entire season due to injury. If you have roughly $80m on the table you take it.

I feel like when it comes to Randle, my preference would be for the Lakers to work something out before someone makes an offer in RFA as I think that will ultimately provide better value.




I am trying to understand the reasoning behind your post and haven't gotten it yet.

For the season that just ended, he made $4,149,242.*

His qualifying offer will be $5,564,134 which is an increase of about $1.4 million. That will be about $3 million below the non-taxpayer MLE and slightly above where the taxpayer MLE will be next season.

A qualifying offer contract is for one season, so it isn't the contract that will have a $80 million payout.

______________

* I know about the conforming increases for players with legacy rookie scale contracts, but I am trying to keep this simple and straightforward.
Expanding the conversation to cover the conforming increases could lead to more confusion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Jsthornton7
Sixth Man
Sixth Man


Joined: 05 May 2018
Posts: 63

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:31 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Jsthornton7 wrote:
I canít imagine he would decline the qualifying offer. Especially as a player who knows what itís like to miss an entire season due to injury. If you have roughly $80m on the table you take it.

I feel like when it comes to Randle, my preference would be for the Lakers to work something out before someone makes an offer in RFA as I think that will ultimately provide better value.




I am trying to understand the reasoning behind your post and haven't gotten it yet.

For the season that just ended, he made $4,149,242.*

His qualifying offer will be $5,564,134 which is an increase of about $1.4 million. That will be about $3 million below the non-taxpayer MLE and slightly above where the taxpayer MLE will be next season.

A qualifying offer contract is for one season, so it isn't the contract that will have a $80 million payout.

______________

* I know about the conforming increases for players with legacy rookie scale contracts, but I am trying to keep this simple and straightforward.
Expanding the conversation to cover the conforming increases could lead to more confusion.


Randle is gonna get paid this summer. By declining the offer and becoming an unrestricted free agent next offseason instead he risks injury or a decline in performance.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 08 Jan 2013
Posts: 5337

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:25 am    Post subject:

Jsthornton7 wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Jsthornton7 wrote:
I canít imagine he would decline the qualifying offer. Especially as a player who knows what itís like to miss an entire season due to injury. If you have roughly $80m on the table you take it.

I feel like when it comes to Randle, my preference would be for the Lakers to work something out before someone makes an offer in RFA as I think that will ultimately provide better value.




I am trying to understand the reasoning behind your post and haven't gotten it yet.

For the season that just ended, he made $4,149,242.*

His qualifying offer will be $5,564,134 which is an increase of about $1.4 million. That will be about $3 million below the non-taxpayer MLE and slightly above where the taxpayer MLE will be next season.

A qualifying offer contract is for one season, so it isn't the contract that will have a $80 million payout.

______________

* I know about the conforming increases for players with legacy rookie scale contracts, but I am trying to keep this simple and straightforward.
Expanding the conversation to cover the conforming increases could lead to more confusion.


Randle is gonna get paid this summer. By declining the offer and becoming an unrestricted free agent next offseason instead he risks injury or a decline in performance.


Quote:

I canít imagine he would decline the qualifying offer.



This reads better to me


I canít imagine he would accept the qualifying offer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 26 Dec 2012
Posts: 31128

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject:

"Aint gonna happen."

Randle is a long-term fit for the team. Julius is only 23 years old and has not peaked yet.
His touch and shooting range are going to improve with practice. He's already decent from the free throw line. Great rebounder, good defense and hustle.

He won't come cheap.
_________________
www.trendydeckpost.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 21 Mar 2017
Posts: 1290

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
"Aint gonna happen."

Randle is a long-term fit for the team. Julius is only 23 years old and has not peaked yet.
His touch and shooting range are going to improve with practice. He's already decent from the free throw line. Great rebounder, good defense and hustle.

He won't come cheap.


Mos def. letís be real. Randle will look to get paid and will get paid. The only question the amount that is reasonable for us. Anything that is close to max will be throw us out of the comfort zone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 26 Dec 2012
Posts: 31128

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
pio2u wrote:
"Aint gonna happen."

Randle is a long-term fit for the team. Julius is only 23 years old and has not peaked yet.
His touch and shooting range are going to improve with practice. He's already decent from the free throw line. Great rebounder, good defense and hustle.

He won't come cheap.


Mos def. letís be real. Randle will look to get paid and will get paid. The only question the amount that is reasonable for us. Anything that is close to max will be throw us out of the comfort zone.


Definitely. That's why I believe that Rob Pelinka's negotiating skills will be critical in making or breaking a fair deal for both sides.
_________________
www.trendydeckpost.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 Aug 2016
Posts: 2303

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Judah wrote:
Mintz would never let Randle do that. He'd be the worst agent in the league if he did. There's just no incentive for Randle to do it.


The one incentive is what Omar said--he could guarantee the team of his choosing after this season--but I agree, it's just too much to risk. But in theory, the Lakers could match any offer and then trade him next season, and then he might get stuck in a place where he really doesn't want to be.

Still, he could be looking at a $70MM guarantee (or more), compared to, what, less than $5MM? I just can't see him doing that.
actually he has one more thing to gain.

if they get two max guys and keep randle next season and lets for fun. the lakers win the championship next season. Randle can put up his exact numbers as he did down the stretch and he will become an allstar, all nba 2nd team player(at worst). just be the fact that now everyone on the planet is watching him. for one he's playing for the lakers, for 2 whatever 2 max guys fanbase is watching, and 3..everyone know who you are when you're a starter on a laker championship team. EVERYONE. This will get you votes into places you may have no business being in. which will boost your earning potential the following year and for years to come. and lastly, he gets a chance to actually win something. there's no guarantee you ever get a chance to play with 2 other star players in your career or win get close enough to win a ring.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 26254

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject:

Watch them lose him for nothing and then strike out in free agency.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Endless3D
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 03 Mar 2018
Posts: 607

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
If he takes the QO, we sign 2 max players and Randle is a FA in 2019.

Does he then trust us to give him the max? Or does he put up monster numbers and go into what will be a players market?

Tough call.


If we sign 2 max agents, Randle knows his stats are going down. That's a risky move for a 23/24 year old TBH
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 20107

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject:

My assumption is that, if some other team really wants Randle, they will get him to sign an offer sheet as soon as possible after July 1, so that the Lakers will have the minimum amount of time to match. The other team would make the offer sheet as much of a poison pill for the Lakers as possible under the current CBA. The idea is to force the Lakers to make a decision while the free agents are still deciding what they want to do, knowing that matching the offer sheet could wreck the free agent strategy.

This assumes that some other team really wants Randle. I'm not sure whether that will turn out to be true. The alternative is to wait and see what the Lakers do, with the possibility that Randle could find himself stranded. If that happens, the other team would save a lot of money and still sign Randle.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Judah
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2015
Posts: 2262

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
Watch them lose him for nothing and then strike out in free agency.

Positivity FTW!
_________________
"We shall never be clothed with the righteousness of Christ except we first know assuredly that we have no righteousness of our own."

- John Calvin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
TDRock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 13917
Location: LA to the Bay

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject:

What is QO?

EDIT: Ah, I see...


Last edited by TDRock on Sun May 13, 2018 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
AFireInside619
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Dec 2015
Posts: 4665
Location: San Diego, California

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject:

Randle is with Mintz, not Rich Paul. He's not going to take a QO, unless all his offers were lowball, which they won't be. Rich Paul told KCP to decline 4yrs/80m. I can see Randle taking anything north of 4yrs/62m. Why forfeit a year of your health and your youth, especially when you know a freak accident can occur at any moment.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Judah
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2015
Posts: 2262

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
What is QO?

Qualifying Offer.
_________________
"We shall never be clothed with the righteousness of Christ except we first know assuredly that we have no righteousness of our own."

- John Calvin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB