ESPN NBA Power Rankings: Lakers #9
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you agree with the Lakers #9 ranking?
Too low
62%
 62%  [ 80 ]
Too high
3%
 3%  [ 5 ]
Just about right
34%
 34%  [ 44 ]
Total Votes : 129

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: ESPN NBA Power Rankings: Lakers #9

NBA Power Rankings: How LeBron and Kawhi change the league

Quote:
LeBron James is in L.A., Kawhi Leonard is in Toronto and another wild NBA offseason is nearly complete.

Who are the best and worst teams heading into the 2018-19 season?

Our panel -- a group of more than 40 reporters, insiders and editors -- is looking ahead to next season with a new edition of NBA Power Rankings.

Note: These rankings take into account additional potential player movement. Voters were asked to pick the better team heading into next season in a series of head-to-head matchups featuring thousands of votes. Conference rankings are noted next to each team.

Quote:
9. Los Angeles Lakers (6)
2017-18 record: 35-47
Result: Missed playoffs
Previous rank: No. 13

Magic Johnson got his man LeBron James and then the Lakers proceeded to construct a curious supporting cast. It features tough veterans with playoff experience that they believe will give James multiple versatile options who can make plays and defend. Rajon Rondo, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee and Michael Beasley all bring a variety of talents but also an interesting mixture of strong and even quirky personalities. The Lakers added three players to their young, growing core in the draft. Lonzo Ball (torn left meniscus) underwent arthroscopic knee surgery and the Lakers' hope is to have him ready for the season. -- Youngmisuk

Key additions: LeBron James, Moritz Wagner, Isaac Bonga, Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk, Lance Stephenson, Rajon Rondo, JaVale McGee and Michael Beasley

Key subtractions: Channing Frye, Isaiah Thomas, Brook Lopez, Julius Randle and Thomas Bryant

danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject:

#9 is a little too low for a team that just acquired the world's greatest basketball player. I'd say #5 for us.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject:

Too low. By about 7 spots.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Too low. By about 7 spots.
matrixskillz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject:

That would put us 5th or 6th in the West. Conservative but fair given we haven’t seen how these pieces will fit yet.

"I GOT WHEATIES!"
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject:

Beginning of the year.

Tons of pieces to incorporate.

I can see us being top 5 by December 31.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject:

matrixskillz wrote:
That would put us 5th or 6th in the West. Conservative but fair given we haven’t seen how these pieces will fit yet.

They have us 6th in the West. There is a little (6) to the right of the Los Angeles Lakers.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject:

Too low. There aren’t 8 teams better than the Lakers.

Anywhere in between 2-6 imo, but even if they are #6 now; I see them being top 3 or 4 TEAM by April.

GSW
Boston
Lakers
Houston

I hesitate on Houston because they lost a lot on defense, CP3 a year older and the playoff track record of Harden/MDA.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject:

6th out West? GS, Houston, and who else? OKC, Utah, NOP, whoever else.... I don't see it.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject:

I have no issue with the ranking. Lakers have a lot to prove. Until they do I cant argue too hard they should be ranked over some of the teams ahead of them.

Lets be realistic. Every team in front of them made minor changes and are coming off successful seasons. The Lakers completely revamped their roster and are relying on multiple one year deal players with quirky personalities, an aging mega star and several developing players to all come together and compete immediately.

Lakers will need to prove this roster can do it on the court. In some respects the ranking is arguably too high.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject:

I also have no problem with the ranking... better to be considered the underdog and exceed expectations.

However, if the kids develop... I also think we can go all the way... so let's see what happens.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject:

Sweet. Feels good to not be ranked in the high 20s.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
I also have no problem with the ranking... better to be considered the underdog and exceed expectations.

However, if the kids develop... I also think we can go all the way... so let's see what happens.

The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject:

We're just guessing at this point.

My quick eye-ball test:

Warriors
Rockets
Celtics

I think that's the top 3. I think it's up for grabs after that between:

Raptors
76ers
Lakers
Jazz
OKC
Spurs

I like the Nuggets, but they haven't proven it yet. They have a lot of talent, though.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject:

only teams ahead I would put honestly at this point are GS and Boston.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject:

The team represents several very divergent futures for 2018-2019.

They are untested as a group, which is pretty odd for a team for which anyone would forecast immediate playoff success but then LeBron's been able to carry several strange clubs into deep playoff runs.

There are not many great perimeter shooters here. The Lakers are almost entirely-dependent on the availability (read: health) of a very high mileage player. He's second-most in career minutes played among active NBA players today. He's 18th all-time in NBA career minutes played, and I suspect that no one with more minutes played was ever was the best player on a great team at the time. Since he's been surrounded with a strange assortment of oddball veteran "characters" new to the club, and with some high potential returning youngsters, this could go either way - hard.

I'm splitting the difference. Is being sixth best in the West a great ticket to playoff success ? No, not in year one in today's Western conference. I see the Laker future weighted at sixth best in the West : better by ten wins more if LeBron stays healthy but cut down by ten-plus losses more if he misses a substantial amount of time.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject:

matrixskillz wrote:

That's a good perspective. If there is any substance to this, it only serves to see progress through the year. It's better to be ranked too low, than to be given #3 and have the headline every week be "Lakers drop a spot, it's not as easy as they thought it would be". Nobody is taking Denver over LA in the playoffs.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject:

i think 9th overall is the absolutely absurd. at worst we are 5th in the west after gsw/hou/utah/okc, and there's at best 1 east team better than us (bos). philly did nothing to get better and we played them even last season. we know what lebron does to toronto, even if KL makes them a little better, we are better than the cavs were last year.

so i don't see how 9th overall is even a possibility. at worst, we're 7th.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
matrixskillz wrote:

That's a good perspective. If there is any substance to this, it only serves to see progress through the year. It's better to be ranked too low, than to be given #3 and have the headline every week be "Lakers drop a spot, it's not as easy as they thought it would be". Nobody is taking Denver over LA in the playoffs.

Yup it’s definitely good perspective. I don’t think anyone outside of GSW will want to play the Lakers when the playoffs begin and that’s refreshing and pretty damn successful considering where the 2017-18 season ended...
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject:

I chose too low since I think we're a #4 seed in the West, but they peg us at #6, it's not too far off.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
i think 9th overall is the absolutely absurd. at worst we are 5th in the west after gsw/hou/utah/okc, and there's at best 1 east team better than us (bos). philly did nothing to get better and we played them even last season. we know what lebron does to toronto, even if KL makes them a little better, we are better than the cavs were last year.

so i don't see how 9th overall is even a possibility. at worst, we're 7th.

I’m thinking ESPN wants to see the Lakers young core prove themselves.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject:

over 50% of the roster is new....have not played together....crazy mix of strong personalities....young core hoping to improve.....more question marks, and variables that any other playoff team. I think #9 is very fair given what is known right now.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject:

I feel like we should be above OKC, a team which lost in the first round in 5 games last season.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
over 50% of the roster is new....have not played together....crazy mix of strong personalities....young core hoping to improve.....more question marks, and variables that any other playoff team. I think #9 is very fair given what is known right now.

given that logic, the team with the greatest question mark, kawhi leonard, should be lower.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
I feel like we should be above OKC, a team which lost in the first round in 5 games last season.

Can't underestimate the benefit of having most of Melo's shots going to PG instead.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: