Lakers’ front office indicates mutual interest in re-signing Julius Randle
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
defense wrote:
My instinct tells me Randle will sign with who ever offers him the most money and that most likely won't be the Lakers

The Lakers can match any offer.

Yes it doesn't mean they will. I think they will if they completely strike out on free agents. My guess is Randle is way down the priority list right now.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
It sounds like Mintz perceives (probably correctly) that Randle is Plan C for the Lakers.

Plan A: 2 max FA (most likely they won't match an offer for Randle)

Plan B: 1 max + Randle

Plan C: no max + Randle + 1-year deals

Magic and Rob made it quite clear from day 1 on the job that getting 2 max free agents was their top priority. The article said Rob has been keeping in touch with them. That's good enough for me heading into free agency.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
32 wrote:
defense wrote:
My instinct tells me Randle will sign with who ever offers him the most money and that most likely won't be the Lakers

Yes it doesn't mean they will. I think they will if they completely strike out on free agents. My guess is Randle is way down the priority list right now.

I don't see how he can be any lower than third on their priority list behind Lebron and George. Maybe Kawhi, but the Spurs probably won't trade him until after the free agency dust has settled (if they trade him at all).
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
Lakers should not overpay for the privilege of keeping Randle. He had a nice season, in a contract year, for a 35 win ballclub that was realistically out of playoff contention by December.

Julius Randle VORP by year:
-0.9 (age 21)
1.1 (age 22)
1.6 (age 23)

Seems like a young guy working to get better every year more than a loaf looking to slack after he gets a payday.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
It sounds like Mintz perceives (probably correctly) that Randle is Plan C for the Lakers.

Magic and Rob made it quite clear from day 1 on the job that getting 2 max free agents was their top priority. The article said Rob has been keeping in touch with them. That's good enough for me heading into free agency.

Yeah pretty much--- so many summer plans around here revolve around keeping Julius and adding LBJ and PG, which I am guilty of presenting scenarios in which that happens, but imo that feels like a fantasy. End of the day having 2 max guys + Julius and then BI, Zo, Kuz, etc all needing money in 2-3 more years is expensive and maybe not something the team wants to pay for. Also the aspect of LBJ, Kuzma, and maybe even BI playing the 4 spot, Julius might not be "needed" so long as you find depth at C.

I want Julius back and hope we find a way to keep him but I think Mintz is reading correctly. I would not be surprised to see Pelinka try and find a S&T also...
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Just a pet peeve...(only b/c I do employment law and this is usually a big difference):

Quote:

re·sign.
[rəˈzīn]
VERB
resigns (third person present)
1.voluntarily leave a job or other position.

"he resigned from the government in protest at the policy"
synonyms: leave · go · hand in one's notice · give in one's notice ·
[more]

Re-sign...

I’m posting from a cellphone, I’m not going to take the time to search for a hyphen. Especially when context makes it clear what I’m talking about.

Yet you spent the time to find a / several times.

CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:
Lakers should not overpay for the privilege of keeping Randle. He had a nice season, in a contract year, for a 35 win ballclub that was realistically out of playoff contention by December.

-0.9 (age 21)
1.1 (age 22)
1.6 (age 23)

Seems like a young guy working to get better every year more than a loaf looking to slack after he gets a payday.

The baseball "advanced stats" are wonderful, but the point stands. We can miss the playoffs 5 years in a row and counting with anybody.
RestEasyBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject:

I'm pretty sure Lakers have a number in mind that they're willing to match and pay.
HAWAIIGUY27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
I hope Julius resigns

Cousins/randle/Bryant
Randle/ Kuzma/FA
Ingram/Kuzma/FA
Hart/shamet/FA
Ball/shamet/FA

This is my ideal summer 2018

Under the assumption Cousins doesn't get a long-term deal, I'd prefer Lopez for one full year over Cousins for less than half a year if we're trying to make a push for the playoffs next season.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject:

To me it sounds like his agent is just doing what agents are supposed to do. Make sure his client gets as much as the market allows.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Just a pet peeve...(only b/c I do employment law and this is usually a big difference):

Quote:

re·sign.
[rəˈzīn]
VERB
resigns (third person present)
1.voluntarily leave a job or other position.

"he resigned from the government in protest at the policy"
synonyms: leave · go · hand in one's notice · give in one's notice ·
[more]

Re-sign...

I’m posting from a cellphone, I’m not going to take the time to search for a hyphen. Especially when context makes it clear what I’m talking about.

Yet you spent the time to find a / several times.

Yes, I found a “/“. Since we’re being grammatically correct on Lakersground.net now.

I'm waiting for someone to says spelling, not grammar, like the thread a couple of days ago...
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
Laker4andmore wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:
Laker4andmore wrote:
Question...........can the lakers sign two max players and then sign Randle since he is a restricted free agent? I think they can right?

They have to have room for his cap hold, 12.5M I believe.

Thanks for the response.

This is more for one of the cap guys (Larry especially) but I believe that once Randle signs an offer sheet, the cap hold number is meaningless. So to fit him, they'd have to allow for whatever the first year number is. So when we talk about a team being a threat to sign him for say 18M a year, it could really be a 21M hit that you're trying to fit into your plans.

Hence why it's so important to not only keep lines open but be proactive with Randle. Instead of assuming he's taking whatever the biggest deal is, if he sees they are close to something special he may delay signing an offer sheet a day or two and still get the same big deal from the Lakers. It may not be such a big gamble to him, knowing that worst case scenario if EVERY somehow team spends all their money in 48hours...he can take the QO and be a UFA next year when more teams have money.

You’re correct IIRC- once he signs an offer sheet, that number replaces his caphold.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:

-0.9 (age 21)
1.1 (age 22)
1.6 (age 23)

2.2 (age 24)

Dang, Andre Drummond had a vorp of 5.0 last year at age 24. How is value over replacement even calculated? Gonna be googling the math...

Last edited by epak on Mon May 21, 2018 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
To me it sounds like his agent is just doing what agents are supposed to do. Make sure his client gets as much as the market allows.

Yep.
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
I hope Julius resigns

Cousins/randle/Bryant
Randle/ Kuzma/FA
Ingram/Kuzma/FA
Hart/shamet/FA
Ball/shamet/FA

Bro that is terrible. No spacing, and lack of a shot creator. Too slow.

We need PG13 and randle at the 5 and lebron at PG.

PG.Lebron
SG.PG13
SF.Ingram
PF.Kuzma
C.Randle

hart and lonzo
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:

-0.9 (age 21)
1.1 (age 22)
1.6 (age 23)

The baseball "advanced stats" are wonderful, but the point stands. We can miss the playoffs 5 years in a row and counting with anybody.

Young teams tend to lose a lot. I'm pleased that the Lakers improved by nine wins this past season despite giving substantial minutes to two raw 20 year olds, and did so while starting to forge a team identity of switching, tenacious defense and transition offense. I think Julius was a key part of the team's identity after going years without one and his improvement contributed to the team's improvement from 26 to 35 wins.

Certainly he's not some guaranteed future All-Star and he shouldn't be payed like one, but it's not unreasonable to compensate him a bit for the player he can develop into over the next 4-5 seasons. That's a player who can contribute a unique, if imperfect, skillset to a future playoff team even if he isn't the first, second, or even third option. And it's a player who could outplay his contract, which is at the core of what drives success in the NBA.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:

Randle has to sign with whoever gives him the most. This is his time to make money and he put in a good season to back it up...
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

It's no secret but they FO will need to move quickly once they have the green light to...
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I think Plan B involves 2019 free agents. 1 max + Randle would make any sort of 2019 plan difficult.
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject:

Randle on the ESPN Draft Combine show. Getting interviewed by Woj in his ultra-popular podcast. Is Mintz putting the pressure on the Lakers and running a full-court press to get his client out there, drumming up public support & attention?

Don't see the Jabari Parkers & Aaron Gordons of the world doing this (yet).

So yeah... I'm a little concerned that Mintz & Pelinka aren't on the best terms (remember, it was Mintz's evidence that led to Pelinka's tampering charge, which everyone refers to the Magic fine but it fell on Rob).

So how does that bode with Paul George? Is Mintz jealous about all the Klutch favoritism and upset about the D'lo trade? Why am I asking so many questions?? Gah
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject:

Mintz works for PG13. So if PG13 wants to join the Lakers and Mintz is playing around, he can easily find someone else who will take a cut of PG13's max deal + future endorsements.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject:

deal wrote:
defense wrote:

Randle has to sign with whoever gives him the most. This is his time to make money and he put in a good season to back it up...

It's ridiculous to think that Randle is going to sit around and wait patiently to give the Lakers an advantage, while the Lakers have been jacking him around and making it clear that he isn't a priority.

If Randle gets a big offer, I expect him to sign it immediately, and then the ball will be in the Lakers court.

If I was an GM who wanted Randle I'd make a big offer immediately with a very short deadline for accepting it to put pressure on the Lakers.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject:

HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
I hope Julius resigns

Cousins/randle/Bryant
Randle/ Kuzma/FA
Ingram/Kuzma/FA
Hart/shamet/FA
Ball/shamet/FA

Under the assumption Cousins doesn't get a long-term deal, I'd prefer Lopez for one full year over Cousins for less than half a year if we're trying to make a push for the playoffs next season.

I think someone will throw the dice and give Cousins a long-term max deal.
UKUGA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject:

cyborgspider wrote:
Randle on the ESPN Draft Combine show. Getting interviewed by Woj in his ultra-popular podcast. Is Mintz putting the pressure on the Lakers and running a full-court press to get his client out there, drumming up public support & attention?

Don't see the Jabari Parkers & Aaron Gordons of the world doing this (yet).

So yeah... I'm a little concerned that Mintz & Pelinka aren't on the best terms (remember, it was Mintz's evidence that led to Pelinka's tampering charge, which everyone refers to the Magic fine but it fell on Rob).

So how does that bode with Paul George? Is Mintz jealous about all the Klutch favoritism and upset about the D'lo trade? Why am I asking so many questions?? Gah

They are all pretty good ones.

The Mintz/Pelinka/George/Randle/Russell connection is a strange one indeed.

On the surface, it seems as if it would be favorable to Mintz for George to come to LA and for Randle to get the largest deal possible. (Having 2 key Lakers can't be bad for a single agent, can it?)

Deep down, I suspect he's concerned that if the Lakers plan to cut bait with Randle, that it costs him a decent amount on the (limited) open market.

George gets a max deal no matter where he goes, so Mintz isn't real concerned there. Randle is his next tier, and he doesn't want to blow this payday coming off a surprisingly strong season.

So, if he doesn't like the way JR is being treated (or if he can't even get the Lakers to say the right things about JR publicly), then deep down, he might be more inclined to encourage PG to consider other options.

If George doesn't come, then the Lakers are more inclined to sign JR. It's a win for Mintz.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
32 wrote:
defense wrote:

But near the top of the realistic list.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: