Lakers’ front office indicates mutual interest in re-signing Julius Randle
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
deal wrote:
defense wrote:
My instinct tells me Randle will sign with who ever offers him the most money and that most likely won't be the Lakers

Randle has to sign with whoever gives him the most. This is his time to make money and he put in a good season to back it up...

It's ridiculous to think that Randle is going to sit around and wait patiently to give the Lakers an advantage, while the Lakers have been jacking him around and making it clear that he isn't a priority.

If Randle gets a big offer, I expect him to sign it immediately, and then the ball will be in the Lakers court.

If I was an GM who wanted Randle I'd make a big offer immediately with a very short deadline for accepting it to put pressure on the Lakers.

Which is still basically 7 days from when the moratorium starts.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject:

UKUGA wrote:
cyborgspider wrote:
Randle on the ESPN Draft Combine show. Getting interviewed by Woj in his ultra-popular podcast. Is Mintz putting the pressure on the Lakers and running a full-court press to get his client out there, drumming up public support & attention?

Don't see the Jabari Parkers & Aaron Gordons of the world doing this (yet).

So yeah... I'm a little concerned that Mintz & Pelinka aren't on the best terms (remember, it was Mintz's evidence that led to Pelinka's tampering charge, which everyone refers to the Magic fine but it fell on Rob).

So how does that bode with Paul George? Is Mintz jealous about all the Klutch favoritism and upset about the D'lo trade? Why am I asking so many questions?? Gah

They are all pretty good ones.

The Mintz/Pelinka/George/Randle/Russell connection is a strange one indeed.

On the surface, it seems as if it would be favorable to Mintz for George to come to LA and for Randle to get the largest deal possible. (Having 2 key Lakers can't be bad for a single agent, can it?)

Deep down, I suspect he's concerned that if the Lakers plan to cut bait with Randle, that it costs him a decent amount on the (limited) open market.

George gets a max deal no matter where he goes, so Mintz isn't real concerned there. Randle is his next tier, and he doesn't want to blow this payday coming off a surprisingly strong season.

So, if he doesn't like the way JR is being treated (or if he can't even get the Lakers to say the right things about JR publicly), then deep down, he might be more inclined to encourage PG to consider other options.

If George doesn't come, then the Lakers are more inclined to sign JR. It's a win for Mintz.

Mintz works for PG13, not the other way around.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
deal wrote:
defense wrote:
My instinct tells me Randle will sign with who ever offers him the most money and that most likely won't be the Lakers

Randle has to sign with whoever gives him the most. This is his time to make money and he put in a good season to back it up...

It's ridiculous to think that Randle is going to sit around and wait patiently to give the Lakers an advantage, while the Lakers have been jacking him around and making it clear that he isn't a priority.

If Randle gets a big offer, I expect him to sign it immediately, and then the ball will be in the Lakers court.

If I was an GM who wanted Randle I'd make a big offer immediately with a very short deadline for accepting it to put pressure on the Lakers.

I probably wouldn't give Randle 7 days myself. Because everyday gives the Lakers more time to negotiate with their two max guys. I wouldn't wait on a restricted free agent. I might give him a 24-hour window before I move onto the choice number 2
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
deal wrote:
defense wrote:

I probably wouldn't give Randle 7 days myself. Because everyday gives the Lakers more time to negotiate with their two max guys. I wouldn't wait on a restricted free agent. I might give him a 24-hour window before I move onto the choice number 2

No, I'm saying, even if you do that, it's a 2 day matching period for the Lakers, which doesn't start until the 5 day moratorium ends.

Meaning, most of the max FA business will/should be done by that time period.
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject:

UKUGA wrote:

So, if he doesn't like the way JR is being treated (or if he can't even get the Lakers to say the right things about JR publicly), then deep down, he might be more inclined to encourage PG to consider other options.

If George doesn't come, then the Lakers are more inclined to sign JR. It's a win for Mintz.

Good analysis Might be all a smokescreen, but perhaps this is a downside of having a former superagent become your GM. Any #pettywarz brewing between them might be detrimental for the team moving forward.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Funny how you can report this headline two different ways and, as a result, garner two different reactions. FWIW, I like the OP's approach more.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject:

I can already see Mark Cuban tweeting a picture at 10pm PST on July 1st with him and Randle signing an offer sheet at The Palm.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
I hope Julius resigns

Cousins/randle/Bryant
Randle/ Kuzma/FA
Ingram/Kuzma/FA
Hart/shamet/FA
Ball/shamet/FA

This is my ideal summer 2018

In the scenario above, with Randle's cap hold and the likelyhood that Cousins won't get max money (even for one season), they can still squeeze in Paul George. To me, THAT is ideal if they can't get James. Even if they stretch Deng (rather than trade him with picks) they'd still have enough for a max deal next season. Though Shamet isn't athletic, he'd be a heck of a shooter that could contribute quickly as a shooter/PnR/trusted passer

Cousins 28/Randle 20
Randle 12/Kuzma 26
Ingram 32/Kuzma 6/Hart 10
George 34/Hart 14
Ball 32/Shamet 12/Hart 4
(sign a 9th guy with space exception, develop the young bigs, fill out roster with vet mins like Frye and 2nd rounder)

In the short term until Cousins is ready, I'd trust a Randle/Zubac/Bryant tandem with this supporting cast.

I’d give the front office an A+ if they had a summer like this.

I hear ya, and in the long term they'd be flexible to sign anyone next year. Say they land Leonard and let Cousins walk. As another one posted in the Randle thread, the playoffs are showing how important Randle's ability to switch is.

2019:
Randle 32/Zubac or Bryant 16
Leonard 30/Kuzma 18
Ingram 34/Kuzma 14
George 34/Hart 14
Ball 32/Shamet 8/Hart 8

Not THAT would be brutal. If Randle could really work on getting positioning so the Embiid and Jokic types have to work harder, the supporting cast not only can switch on anything but SWARM the passing lanes. Talk about positionless basketball, every one of the guys are a defensive, rebounding and push the ball threat. We talk about it, but showtime would actually be back!

That lineup could work. I think with the length on Ingram and Leonard on the court there really isn’t a need for a conventional big that can protect the paint. You throw in Lonzo who likes to help protect the paint and we might be on to something!

You throw in Ingram’s body being pretty much developed by 2019 and we’re cooking. I think by 2019 Ingram may be able to hold down the PF spot if he continues to develop his body.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
I can already see Mark Cuban tweeting a picture at 10pm PST on July 1st with him and Randle signing an offer sheet at The Palm.

probably
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject:

What I am worried about is the Lakers try to do too much and end up with nothing. It started with the Nash contract. Then Howard. Then tried to go for Aldridge and Melo and ended up with Mosgov and Deng.

The Lakers FO HAVE to follow these basic rules otherwise end up just like before.

1. Don't up first round players unless DIRECT trade for a superstar. Don't use valuable resources to stretch Deng!!! Admit it is a Dung contract and stretch.
2. Don't give up valuable future stars unless outbid by a stupid amount. Offer Julius Randle a good contract and pay. Unless another team offers a bid way over market.

Don't shoot for the moon until you can get a rocket in space.
Just use common sense for once fellas.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:

I get this feeling as well...unfortunately, sounds like the Lakers undervalued him and he's gone.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
deal wrote:
defense wrote:

I think his point is that's the earliest you can really give him a deadline, but agreed that you want him to accept earlieist possible and put LA on the clock
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
deal wrote:
defense wrote:

I think his point is that's the earliest you can really give him a deadline, but agreed that you want him to accept earlieist possible and put LA on the clock

Exactly. Because of the moratorium and matching rules, there’s no way for another team to speed up the process to make it happen earlier. Seven days after the start of the moratorium is the earliest date the Lakers will have to make a decision.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Here's the scenario that concerns me:

On July 6 (or the next day thereafter), both George and Lebron have committed without any indication prior to that date that both would sign with LA. On the same day of July 1, Randle signs an offer sheet for 4 years, $80 million with someone (say Sacramento or Dallas)), giving the Lakers until July 8 to match.

The Lakers, at this point, have not traded Deng. However, it has been announced, and made clear, that both George and Lebron are coming to the Lakers. The entire league now knows that, for the Lakers to re-sign Randle, the Lakers must trade Deng for cap space.

As it turns out, the only two teams not intent on using their cap space this summer (and willing to take dead salary) are Atlanta and Chicago. As it also turns out, a number of other teams (such as, say, Dallas, Sacramento, Phoenix, etc.) are trying to free up even more cap space and are competing with the Lakers to dump salaries on Chicago and Atlanta. There is a bidding war of 5+ teams trying to obtain the cap space from only two teams, and the Lakers only have 48 hours to win the bidding war. Atlanta and Chicago both use the Lakers' desperation to keep Randle, the competitive bids from other teams and the exigency of a 48 hour deadline against the Lakers to ask more than the Lakers initially offered (or are willing to offer).

What will it cost to get rid of Deng at that point? Is it likely that the cost will be too high?

------------------------------------------------------

All of the above can be avoided if the Lakers simply make re-signing Randle a priority immediately and, as such, try to move Deng by the draft in order to avoid that kind of bidding war which could leave them on the outside looking in at the exact moment they needed to win. Logically, if the Lakers do not make a pre-emptive move at trading Deng, it also means only one of the following is true -
(1) The Lakers think they can re-sign Randle without moving Deng (i.e. we will only get one max player, not two this summer, or, somehow, the players we sign take paycuts);
(2) The Lakers don't want to re-sign Randle if they get two max guys,
(3) The Lakers are still just not sure if they want to re-sign Randle where they get two max guys (and are willing to punt that decision to the last minute regardless of the risk that entails);
(4) No matter the scenario, the Lakers don't want to re-sign Randle unless it is for the right amount (which can't be determined until free agency begins) or
(5) The Lakers just don't want to re-sign Randle regardless of the circumstance.

None of those scenarios are that great, but one has to be true, IMO, if we don't jump on a Deng trade early.

Last edited by LakerSanity on Mon May 21, 2018 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject:

LS the offer wouldn’t be alive until the moratorium is over. Then you can string out the process.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LS the offer wouldn’t be alive until the moratorium is over. Then you can string out the process.

I know. I thought the moratorium ends on July 1. No? If not July 1, insert the actual date the moratorium ends into my scenario above instead and apply it the same way.

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject:

The moratorium ends at midnight on July 6.

Also, the time to match an offer sheet is two days.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
All of the above can be avoided if the Lakers simply make re-signing Randle a priority immediately and, as such, try to move Deng by the draft in order to avoid that kind of bidding war which could leave them on the outside looking in at the exact moment they needed to win. Logically, if the Lakers do not make a pre-emptive move at trading Deng, it also means only one of the following is true -
(1) The Lakers think they can re-sign Randle without moving Deng (i.e. we will only get one max player, not two this summer, or, somehow, the players we sign take paycuts);
(2) The Lakers don't want to re-sign Randle if they get two max guys,
(3) The Lakers are still just not sure if they want to re-sign Randle where they get two max guys (and are willing to punt that decision to the last minute regardless of the risk that entails);
(4) No matter the scenario, the Lakers don't want to re-sign Randle unless it is for the right amount (which can't be determined until free agency begins) or
(5) The Lakers just don't want to re-sign Randle regardless of the circumstance.

None of those scenarios are that great, but one has to be true, IMO, if we don't jump on a Deng trade early.

Well, there is one more:

(6) The price to move Deng is prohibitive.

I expect that this will be the case, whether before or after July 1.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject:

We should trade Deng on Draft night alongside the Cavs pick and our 2019 pick. If we sign PG this summer and punt another max contract to 2019, those picks would have to be let go either way assuming Randle stays with a starting salary of 18 mill this summer.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Right, is was reduced from 72 hours to 48, right? Edited post so it makes sense.

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Well, there is one more:

I suppose that's where we disagree, and what my post was premised on. We can probably agree though that if the price is ever going to be worth it, that price is probably more easily found before the draft than found after free agency formally begins.

Last edited by LakerSanity on Mon May 21, 2018 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
We should trade Deng on Draft night alongside the Cavs pick and our 2019 pick. If we sign PG this summer and punt another max contract to 2019, those picks would have to be let go either way assuming Randle stays with a starting salary of 18 mill this summer.

We can’t trade our 2018 and 2019 picks.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:

We can’t trade our 2018 and 2019 picks.

Obviously, the trade would be made official after the pick is made with the Cavs pick. You knew that though.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers need to sign Randle and not let him walk for nothing. I am wondering if the same posters that talk about losing Gasol and Howard for nothing will be as vocal if Randle walks with nothing coming back.

Even if he is signed and traded or traded on a deadline deal this roster doesn't have so much talent that you can just let a talented player walk with no return.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Well, there is one more:

I suppose that's where we disagree, and what my post was premised on. We can probably agree though that if the price is ever going to be worth it, that price is probably more easily found before the draft than found after free agency formally begins.

Yes, I agree with that. Nonetheless, you raised the question of what inference to draw if we do not jump on a Deng trade. There is also the possibility that the price to move Deng was prohibitive. We may disagree about what we expect other teams to demand, and we may disagree about what price is prohibitive. Regardless of that, the answer may simply be that Magic and Pelinka did not think that the price was worth it.
NBALakerLegends
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Yup. By midnight July 8th, most, if not all of the big dominos would have fallen already.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: