Melo for Deng Deal - Too Good to Be True for Both Teams
Goto page 1, 2  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Posts: 4971

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject: Melo for Deng Deal - Too Good to Be True for Both Teams

Deng + 1st Round Pick for Melo

Interesting article on how it would be good for both teams in the short and long term

https://thunderousintentions.com/2018/07/02/lebron-james-carmelo-anthony-lakers/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 21 Jul 2012
Posts: 30074
Location: Holland

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:58 pm    Post subject:

do we immediately waive him?
_________________
Purple and Banana
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KobeIsTheOne
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 Apr 2006
Posts: 1415

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:00 am    Post subject:

Why not?
_________________
"I'm like Neo out this m----- f-----," Bryant said."

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-130129/daily-dime

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/kobe-bryant-thinks-neo-matrix-could-ve-best-174850191--nba.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Oct 2003
Posts: 4305
Location: Santa Monica

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:04 am    Post subject:

Melo shot 40% this season and had a TS% of 50. He is clearly over the hill and doesn't fit in with our fast breaking, defensive-minded style.
_________________
"Lindsay Hunter is starting to make Devean George look like John Stockton" - Bill Walton, Game 4 of the 2002 WCFs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Dec 2008
Posts: 2642

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:09 am    Post subject:

If it was Melo + first round pick for Deng, then I’d consider it.

Otherwise no, let OKC waive Melo instead.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 21 Jul 2012
Posts: 30074
Location: Holland

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Melo shot 40% this season and had a TS% of 50. He is clearly over the hill and doesn't fit in with our fast breaking, defensive-minded style.


It's not like deng is playing for us. If we waive him immediately it means we don't have to dump deng next summer... Deng for Melo is a no brainer to me. The discussion should be about included picks, not about melo
_________________
Purple and Banana
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Jesusdelonla
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Jan 2018
Posts: 4128

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:11 am    Post subject:

Lol 1st? Maybe a 2nd
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
markjay
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 12 Feb 2006
Posts: 3240
Location: O.C.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:09 am    Post subject:

Is this trade legal? Fails on ESPN NBA Trade Machine and also on RealGM NBA Trade Checker.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Darkndeep
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 1676

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:52 am    Post subject:

Maybe a three-way trade with Oklahoma City and Cleveland (as part of the LeBron signing?), where Cleveland gets Melo and something for taking him (Hart or Zu and/or a pick?) and Oklahoma City gets Deng ... I know that I don't want Melo, but I do see an opportunity to maybe do something with him and Deng ...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kentu_tiro
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 Sep 2007
Posts: 2690

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:01 am    Post subject:

Or we can wait till they buy out Melo and sign him for the vet min. Then we directly deal with Atlanta to give them Deng and a 1st. There's really no incentive for us since even with Deng we can still create cap space when our 1 yr deals expire next year. Also by then, Deng would have 1 more year remaining on his deal which could likely make it easier to move.
_________________
The road back to the top...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 21 Jul 2012
Posts: 30074
Location: Holland

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:07 am    Post subject:

kentu_tiro wrote:
Or we can wait till they buy out Melo and sign him for the vet min. Then we directly deal with Atlanta to give them Deng and a 1st. There's really no incentive for us since even with Deng we can still create cap space when our 1 yr deals expire next year. Also by then, Deng would have 1 more year remaining on his deal which could likely make it easier to move.


But if we can move it now why wait?

Deng is not going to play for us. We don't need to play Carmelo either. Carmelo is an expiring. Why not get the deng contract out of the way now?
_________________
Purple and Banana
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 May 2015
Posts: 2207

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:15 am    Post subject:

we have to get Melo or else Bron would be the oldest guy on the roster
_________________
"If you build it, they will come."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 May 2016
Posts: 4611
Location: Long Beach

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:24 am    Post subject:

He's not willing to come off the bench, nor does he understand the role he should be playing. Which is why he wouldn't be a good fit with the Lakers.

I'm real interested to see what happens once he gets bought out. He's in for a rude awakening.. The same one that Cousins got, the same one that IT got as well. These guys need to learn how to be more accommodating, and willing to do what's in the best interest of their team.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 21 Jul 2012
Posts: 30074
Location: Holland

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:54 am    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
He's not willing to come off the bench, nor does he understand the role he should be playing. Which is why he wouldn't be a good fit with the Lakers.

I'm real interested to see what happens once he gets bought out. He's in for a rude awakening.. The same one that Cousins got, the same one that IT got as well. These guys need to learn how to be more accommodating, and willing to do what's in the best interest of their team.


He doesn't have to be a fit on the lakers. Trade for him then cut him, boom no more deng on the books for next year.

How is this not an obvious trade
_________________
Purple and Banana
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
trablos
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 May 2017
Posts: 1779

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:45 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
He's not willing to come off the bench, nor does he understand the role he should be playing. Which is why he wouldn't be a good fit with the Lakers.

I'm real interested to see what happens once he gets bought out. He's in for a rude awakening.. The same one that Cousins got, the same one that IT got as well. These guys need to learn how to be more accommodating, and willing to do what's in the best interest of their team.


He doesn't have to be a fit on the lakers. Trade for him then cut him, boom no more deng on the books for next year.

How is this not an obvious trade

What's our cap hit if we waive him immediately?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Feb 2015
Posts: 2216

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject:

1 bad contract for another bad contract that ends after next season? Why would we add a pick? I'll pass. I'll rather keep Deng than to get melo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
watchME
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 06 May 2011
Posts: 3384

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject:

Hell no. Let them pay 300m fora first round exit
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Oct 2017
Posts: 2139

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject:

I’ve been talking about this trade for a month.

As I stated weeks ago, it would only work with the inclusion of whoever they signed with the room exception. I even proposed signing and trading whoever they used the room on with Deng to OKC for Anthony (don’t even know if it would’ve been legal).

Long story short: The trade would have to include Stephenson.

Also, I didn’t read the article, but the most important question is whether or not, for OKC, is buying Anthony out a better option and more cost effective for luxury tax purposes this year than making this trade which would only save them six mill before taxes?

Doing cursory math, it appears that they could probably save themselves the same six million in buyout without having to also pay Deng the following year.

I was a HUGE opponent of this idea, like the OP, but now realize that OKC probably has better options and would elect instead to buy him out, even if Anthony wanted all his money.
_________________
Trading Ingram and Ball (with Wagner) for Kemba Walker (and Jeremy Lamb) would still leave enough room to sign Durant this summer to a max.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 21 Jul 2012
Posts: 30074
Location: Holland

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:54 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
1 bad contract for another bad contract that ends after next season? Why would we add a pick? I'll pass. I'll rather keep Deng than to get melo.


The difference is our bad contract ends in 2020, whereas Carmelo ends in 2019. Meaning next offseason. Since neither is going to play anyway, this is good for the lakers no?
_________________
Purple and Banana
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Dec 2008
Posts: 2642

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:57 am    Post subject:

I don’t even think this trade his legal or feasible....

If it was, I have no interest in helping OKC anyway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Feb 2015
Posts: 2216

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
1 bad contract for another bad contract that ends after next season? Why would we add a pick? I'll pass. I'll rather keep Deng than to get melo.


The difference is our bad contract ends in 2020, whereas Carmelo ends in 2019. Meaning next offseason. Since neither is going to play anyway, this is good for the lakers no?


I thought Deng was off our books after next season, but he has 2 more years. I still say no because melo is cool with Bron and I don't see us buying melo out. Melo would be a liability. The winners would be okc because they got a 1st round pick from us and Deng is still more serviceable than melo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 20 Jul 2005
Posts: 7126

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
do we immediately waive him?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
YSong
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 16 Sep 2016
Posts: 786

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject:

It’s the Matt Kemp trade! Dodgers did something similar but they played the OKC role which is to lower their 1 yr salary by spreading it over 2 yrs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
anth2000
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 16 Apr 2001
Posts: 3860
Location: Pasadena, CA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject:

Dumbest trade ever!!!

Melo sucks!!

Melo sucks!!!!

Wouldn't do that deal ever.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
YSong
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 16 Sep 2016
Posts: 786

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Dumbest trade ever!!!

Melo sucks!!

Melo sucks!!!!

Wouldn't do that deal ever.


Help the team clear cap space in 2019 instead of trying to trade or stretch Deng.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB