Superstars Signing For Less To Tandem?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jankobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:12 am    Post subject: Superstars Signing For Less To Tandem?

Never been talked about in any thread here, but Superstars Free Agents might also sign for a little less so they can tandem & play together in a Team? Just like what Lebron & Bosh did to create a Big 3 for Miami years ago. I think even DWade sacrificed signing lesser amount too.

Here, maybe Lebron, PG13 can agree to sign a little bit lesser than their Max contract say to help Lakers to resign Randle w/o forcing to ship out Deng's K w/ some of our Young Guns.

Also to help the team sign quality back ups.

What do you think?
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: Superstars Signing For Less To Tandem?

jankobe wrote:
Never been talked about in any thread here, but Superstars Free Agents might also sign for a little less so they can tandem & play together in a Team? Just like what Lebron & Bosh did to create a Big 3 for Miami years ago. I think even DWade sacrificed signing lesser amount too.

Here, maybe Lebron, PG13 can agree to sign a little bit lesser than their Max contract say to help Lakers to resign Randle w/o forcing to ship out Deng's K w/ some of our Young Guns.

What do you think?
I was thinking about that recently, and I wondered why people seem to have forgotten that it happened before. Share the wealth to win a ring. I doubt LeBron would want to go out like Kobe, with a large part of the pie, but no quality around him. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see them share. That team challenges for a title next year if it was in tact and had the right subsequent pieces.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:37 am    Post subject:

The thing is stuff like this needs to be organized and we don't know if it is. The players have to all agree to it because they're not going to make the first move if they're not sure the others are come. None of them would just take 10 million less in the hope some other guy will join him.

So the question becomes can it be organized? What the lakers are doing and other teams have done in the past is create a situation where those free agents could do such a thing. We have a lot of cap space. But almost every time it doesn't materialize. Ask Dallas. Or ask our own lakers the past 5 years....... we'll see.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject:

California tax rate.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Superstars Signing For Less To Tandem?

jankobe wrote:

What do you think?

Didn’t Lebron say he’s not taking anymore pay cuts? I could see Chris Paul maybe doing it. I doubt PG is gonna take a pay cut because he’s already long money if he chooses LA
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject:

It's not discussed much because there's basically a 0% chance it happens. Rich Paul and LeBron have already made it clear that LeBron will never accept anything less than the max again. I'd be shocked if he went back on his word about that.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject:

When a player is willing to do that, it's hard for the rest of the league to compete when their players are taking full value. Durant took almost $10M less this season so they could keep Iggy and was willing to take an even bigger discount if Iggy left so they could get Gay. LeBron can't compete with that if he is going to be taking a full cut.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
California tax rate.

Another reason why something like that will never happen to the benefit of the Lakers.
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Superstars Signing For Less To Tandem?

Car54 wrote:
jankobe wrote:

What do you think?

Didn’t Lebron say he’s not taking anymore pay cuts? I could see Chris Paul maybe doing it. I doubt PG is gonna take a pay cut because he’s already long money if he chooses LA
Yup, he has said and referenced to that several times.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
When a player is willing to do that, it's hard for the rest of the league to compete when their players are taking full value. Durant took almost $10M less this season so they could keep Iggy and was willing to take an even bigger discount if Iggy left so they could get Gay. LeBron can't compete with that if he is going to be taking a full cut.

Durant basically played 1 year contracts to go to the Warriors...I don't see him taking a discount anymore....he even said so himself.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Superstars Signing For Less To Tandem?

Car54 wrote:
jankobe wrote:

What do you think?

yeah...it has been a year or two since he made the statement.....but if I recall, he was pretty emphatic. I am not sure Paul can take much less either as there have been claims/rumors that both Paul & James have privately not been pleased with players around the league taking discounted deals....they supposedly feel like its sets a bad precedent and diminishes power for the players.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
It's not discussed much because there's basically a 0% chance it happens. Rich Paul and LeBron have already made it clear that LeBron will never accept anything less than the max again. I'd be shocked if he went back on his word about that.
Plus, he is president of the players union. He most likely wouldn't take less money.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject:

I'd rather not see the best players in the league take pay cuts just to save Billionares millions of dollars. The whole system is bs to begin with. Lebron is worth at the very least 50m plus a season. With all the people making money off his name. Cleveland's downtown flourishes when Lebron is in town. Gilbert could probably sell for 2 Billion if Lebron signed a 5 year deal. And people want players to to a pay cut? KD decides to go to the GSW or Lebron leaves for Miami and the nation treats them like ungrateful SOBs, but when Danny Ainge trades IT after all he's been through, they applaud him for be being a smart GM.

I'd like to see a league with no cap actually. It'd never happen, because the small market teams would complain about it being unfair. And I guess parody is good for the league.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Durant basically played 1 year contracts to go to the Warriors...I don't see him taking a discount anymore....he even said so himself.

Durant is all talk. He'll do whatever it takes to keep sucking on that GSW (bleep).
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
I'd rather not see the best players in the league take pay cuts just to save Billionares millions of dollars. The whole system is bs to begin with. Lebron is worth at the very least 50m plus a season. With all the people making money off his name. Cleveland's downtown flourishes when Lebron is in town. Gilbert could probably sell for 2 Billion if Lebron signed a 5 year deal. And people want players to to a pay cut? KD decides to go to the GSW or Lebron leaves for Miami and the nation treats them like ungrateful SOBs, but when Danny Ainge trades IT after all he's been through, they applaud him for be being a smart GM.

I'd like to see a league with no cap actually. It'd never happen, because the small market teams would complain about it being unfair. And I guess parody is good for the league.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:

I don’t think you understand the reason players take paycuts.

And I love a good parody! =)
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Superstars Signing For Less To Tandem?

jankobe wrote:
Never been talked about in any thread here, but...

Everything has been talked about here.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
I'd rather not see the best players in the league take pay cuts just to save Billionares millions of dollars..

1. Generally, players don't take less money to save the team money. They basically give some of their money to teammates so they have better teammates around them.

2. This doesn't save the money owners. The owners still pay the same amount; it just changes how that amount is divided among the players.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject:

The "Players" don't take less. They share the revenue equally with the owners (essentially). A player can take a smaller share of a team's cap to allow other players to have more. Taking less doesn't line the owner's pockets.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
The "Players" don't take less. They share the revenue equally with the owners (essentially). A player can take a smaller share of a team's cap to allow other players to have more. Taking less doesn't line the owner's pockets.

Right, the money Durant left in the pot was given to Iguodala and Livingston....was likely not able to keep both under salary cap restrictions which are collectively bargained.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

Right, the money Durant left in the pot was given to Iguodala and Livingston....was likely not able to keep both under salary cap restrictions which are collectively bargained.

They were both bird rights signings, it saved the owner money
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

They were both bird rights signings, it saved the owner money

It did save the owner money. It did not save "the owners" money. The subject is about distribution of revenue among owners and among players, not between owners and players. Durant taking less didn't result in a change to the total amount of salary the players received.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:

I just like when folks making $70,000 a year think that athletes should give up millions. Would you donate 20-25% of that salary to Lebron to come here? Hell no.
Lakers4Life33
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject:

Typically I would say as a professional basketball player it would behoove you to maximize your earning potential during your short career.

In LeBrons case, his legacy is far more important than the roughly ~15-30 million dollar difference that he can recoup in his post basketball career.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject:

Lakers4Life33 wrote:
Typically I would say as a professional basketball player it would behoove you to maximize your earning potential during your short career.

In LeBrons case, his legacy is far more important than the roughly ~15-30 million dollar difference that he can recoup in his post basketball career.

Key words being “short career”. 12 years is a good career, giving up millions for 25% of it costs a great deal.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: