Should have kept Will Conroy...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Should have kept Will Conroy...

The Lakers should have kept Will Conroy instead of Devin Green. On a team severly lacking ball handlers, Conroy would have added more value. Smush isn't very good in the facilitator role and Conroy would have been good to have in 4 minute stints while Lamar went to the bench so that Kobe could stay off the ball. Conroy would have only given 6 points, but consistent point duties and heart/enthusiasm every night would have been invaluable to this team.

If the T-Mac rumors are the ones to believe then there is a realistic way that Conroy's old running mate - Nate Robinson - would be part of the deal.

Lakers get T-Mac & Nate Robinson
New York get's Francis & Slava for cap relief
Orlando get's Starbury & Derek Anderson
Houston get's Odom & Outlaw & a pick

Lakers get value for Odom as does Houston for T-Mac.
New York and Orlando trade their PG problems.
New York get's much needed cap relief.
Lakers get better shooting from the SF and a PG
Houston wants to dump Anderson
All the teams fill needs without making a conference opponent outrageously better. (Lakers taking chance on health and mind of T-Mac makes it all workable)

Real GM Trade ID#: 2967924
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
LkrsOvrMia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Should have kept Will Conroy...

Aussiesuede wrote:
The Lakers should have kept Will Conroy instead of Devin Green. On a team severly lacking ball handlers, Conroy would have added more value. Smush isn't very good in the facilitator role and Conroy would have been good to have in 4 minute stints while Lamar went to the bench so that Kobe could stay off the ball. Conroy would have only given 6 points, but consistent point duties and heart/enthusiasm every night would have been invaluable to this team.

If the T-Mac rumors are the ones to believe then there is a realistic way that Conroy's old running mate - Nate Robinson - would be part of the deal.

Lakers get T-Mac & Nate Robinson
New York get's Francis & Slava for cap relief
Orlando get's Starbury & Derek Anderson
Houston get's Odom & Outlaw & a pick

Lakers get value for Odom as does Houston for T-Mac.
New York and Orlando trade their PG problems.
New York get's much needed cap relief.
Lakers get better shooting from the SF and a PG
Houston wants to dump Anderson
All the teams fill needs without making a conference opponent outrageously better. (Lakers taking chance on health and mind of T-Mac makes it all workable)

Real GM Trade ID#: 2967924

Huh??????????????????

Go Lakers!

Go Lakers!
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject:

at that time we were pretty secure in the guard position...smush, sasha, kobe, mckie, and profit.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject:

KobeButler wrote:
at that time we were pretty secure in the guard position...smush, sasha, kobe, mckie, and profit.

I'm curious; Do you think the skillset that Smush brings to the table is a better fit than a guard who could share facilitating duties and provide more consistent defense. Conroy would not have the steals Smush gets, because he wouldn't go for nearly as many. But Conroy does a better job of keeping his man in front of him. Smush has pleasantly surprised me for the most part, but I'm of the opinion that Conroy would have provided more value to the makeup of this particular team...
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject:

Smush can hit open shots, hes currently leading our team in 3 point fg percentage...Conroy cant. So yea, id prefer Smush over him anyday.. We really dont need playmaking abilities from our point. I wouldnt say Conroy could bring more consistent defense. I mean we all thought smush played pretty good defense when we first got him until our expectations for him got higher. I dont think Conroy would of done much better.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject:

Since when is T-Mac on the trading block and, Id take Green over Conroy any day.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:
Since when is T-Mac on the trading block and, Id take Green over Conroy any day.

T-Mac was alluded to as the real target in multi-team deal about Francis in a 50+ page thread over on CL before it got locked....
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:

T-Mac was alluded to as the real target in multi-team deal about Francis in a 50+ page thread over on CL before it got locked....

they were playing around....atleast i hope.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject:

KobeButler wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:

they were playing around....atleast i hope.

I'd say I think it's unlikely as well. But Teegunn chiming in on it is the only thing that gives it an air of credibility...Of course there will be heaps of rumors between now and the 23rd. When I started to think about it, things kinda made a bit more sense. T-Mac taking time off would soften a blow for Houston fans. But it's as you say - they probably were jst playing around...
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject:

So they gave up Francis and Mobley for TMac, now they want him back? No.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject:

Parker did a far better job defensively compared to Conroy. Conroy rarely saw the tail end of an SPL game, but the few times he did, he did hit a clutch game winner.

Like Fisher, Conroy has a lot of intangibles. I happen to think Conroy already has more solidified skills than Fisher out of his rookie year, but the question is, where's the roster spot?

Devin Green was kept for the fact that Parker and Wafer were kept from the SPL team, and Green played solid defense from SFs to PGs, with high energy and smart play. Kid just needs a jumpshot.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject:

tgf5 wrote:
So they gave up Francis and Mobley for TMac, now they want him back? No.

No...Francis ends up in New York, Marbury in Orlando, Odom in Houston & TMac in LA...But like I said, it's certainly not likely....
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Parker did a far better job defensively compared to Conroy. Conroy rarely saw the tail end of an SPL game, but the few times he did, he did hit a clutch game winner.

Like Fisher, Conroy has a lot of intangibles. I happen to think Conroy already has more solidified skills than Fisher out of his rookie year, but the question is, where's the roster spot?

Devin Green was kept for the fact that Parker and Wafer were kept from the SPL team, and Green played solid defense from SFs to PGs, with high energy and smart play. Kid just needs a jumpshot.

I wanted Conroy and would have prefered him over Green, and potentially Smush....but we all know now that management certainly did not see it my way. It's those intangibles I liked so much about Conroy. Like Turiaf, he's a great bench and lockerroom presense. I think this team is in extreme need of that. But I'll agree that I'm a one man army on this one. Both fans and management didn't think as I do so as a smart man I must admit being wrong...
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject:

^The talent holes are far bigger for the Laker team than intangibles.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers can get him back if he improves and if the Lakers open some roster spots.
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject:

Mike,

You're right about Green. My only question is: how do players like Green get through college b-ball without a jumper? You would think they would realize that in order to stick in the L, especially at that size, they need to develop a jumper. I could understand it from a HS kid.

SGH
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject:

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
Mike,

You're right about Green. My only question is: how do players like Green get through college b-ball without a jumper? You would think they would realize that in order to stick in the L, especially at that size, they need to develop a jumper. I could understand it from a HS kid.

SGH

75% of college players cant hit a consistent jump shot.
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject:

KobeButler wrote:
Mike,

SGH

Yeah, but that begs the question: why?

I used to think it was an East Coast-West Coast thing. It seemed for a time that the eastern players were better playing with the ball in their hands, and taking the rock to the rim. West coast guys were better at playing off the ball, and taking jumpers (basically, the "tough" player, "soft" player dichotomy.)

But it really is a mystery. The easiest thing to do is to practice shooting. It's fun. You don't need a lot of equipment.

I don't get it.

SGH
TEEGUNN
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject:

KobeButler wrote:
Mike,

SGH

Yeah, but that begs the question: why?

I used to think it was an East Coast-West Coast thing. It seemed for a time that the eastern players were better playing with the ball in their hands, and taking the rock to the rim. West coast guys were better at playing off the ball, and taking jumpers (basically, the "tough" player, "soft" player dichotomy.)

But it really is a mystery. The easiest thing to do is to practice shooting. It's fun. You don't need a lot of equipment.

I don't get it.

SGH

Flash (dunks and three pointers) are more "fun" and important to the young kids. Learning the actual fundamentals isn't. It's back to the streetball attitude, where most rules are thrown out the door. But on a real BBall court, the rules and fundamentals come back into play.

Jake Speed, 1986
DaKobeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject:

Where'd this T-Mac rumor come from? There's absolutely no way the Rockets would give us T-Mac.
TEEGUNN
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject:

^^^^ Francis/Turkeyglue is the latest buzz.

Jake Speed, 1986
Sunhills'm I
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject:

T-Mac is like an egg on the court... I like like his scoring but he seems to have all types of physical and mental problems...
He is a more mentally delicate Grant Hill.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject:

TEEGUNN wrote:
^^^^ Francis/Turkeyglue is the latest buzz.

That, and Francis going to NYK while NYK ships us Crawford and a Knicks rook.

I still say there's no way we want Francis.

Polar opposite of a PJ point.
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:

you believed that?
dinlabreak
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject:

where the did the tmac rumors come from?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: