Should have kept Will Conroy...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject:

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
Mike,

You're right about Green. My only question is: how do players like Green get through college b-ball without a jumper? You would think they would realize that in order to stick in the L, especially at that size, they need to develop a jumper. I could understand it from a HS kid.

SGH

Players from smaller schools tend to play power positions. Marquis Daniels is a SG/SF for Dallas, but it wasn't surprising to see him play a majority of time at the PF slot. Devean George? As soon as he grew to 6'8", he was slotted at PF as well, despite being a 6' PG coming in.

Devin Green did attend a summer camp to work on his jumper as well as overall fundamentals; strength, conditioning, quickness, ball-handling, and passing. The coaches said he reformed his jumper and it was consistent.

Thing is, I don't think they revised his mechanics well at all. The ball has low arc, his elbow sticks out too far, and he's got a low release point.

Just watching Dirk Nowitzki at the 3pt. shooting contest, you could literally count more than 2 seconds of the ball being in the air from release point to rim. That's serious arc.

Most coaches I know teach release points at a 45* angle. I highly disagree with that. It should be at 50*-60*. Part of the reason why Bryant is hitting well from the perimeter this season is because his release point is slightly higher compared to last season.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Sister Golden Hair wrote:
Mike,

You're right about Green. My only question is: how do players like Green get through college b-ball without a jumper? You would think they would realize that in order to stick in the L, especially at that size, they need to develop a jumper. I could understand it from a HS kid.

SGH

Players from smaller schools tend to play power positions. Marquis Daniels is a SG/SF for Dallas, but it wasn't surprising to see him play a majority of time at the PF slot. Devean George? As soon as he grew to 6'8", he was slotted at PF as well, despite being a 6' PG coming in.

Devin Green did attend a summer camp to work on his jumper as well as overall fundamentals; strength, conditioning, quickness, ball-handling, and passing. The coaches said he reformed his jumper and it was consistent.

Thing is, I don't think they revised his mechanics well at all. The ball has low arc, his elbow sticks out too far, and he's got a low release point.

Just watching Dirk Nowitzki at the 3pt. shooting contest, you could literally count more than 2 seconds of the ball being in the air from release point to rim. That's serious arc.

Most coaches I know teach release points at a 45* angle. I highly disagree with that. It should be at 50*-60*. Part of the reason why Bryant is hitting well from the perimeter this season is because his release point is slightly higher compared to last season.

It's a subtle point. Look at Adam Morrison --nice, high release point, nice high arc. I also think a lot of American players jump too high/too hard on their jumper/ It's fine if someone is in your face, but for the majority of jumpers, a nice, relaxed approach works better, IMO. What got me thinking about this was watching the hawks game. Joh Childress has about the ugliest form I've ever seen -- but it was going in that game.

Anyway, back to the origonal point: Devin should literally be practicing his jumper for at least two hours a day. I don't see the Craig Hodges influence on a lot of the Lakers. With all the tools and equipment they have (videotape, coaches), you'd think fixing one's shot wouldn't be so hard.

Hey, but then again, not everyone can hit a curve.

SGH
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject:

All jumpshots should be relaxed. The key isn't to get 100% lift (that really wears out the legs), but "good, comfortable" lift before leading to the release point.

Lots of Laker players should be doing lots of things. I haven't really seen Hodges influence on the Laker team as well.

And it's not like Devin Green doesn't have half-decent form, but even a good shooter like Shane Battier out of Duke completely reconstructed his jumper from scratch his rookie year.

I just think Green is on a different learning curve. There are certain fundamentals he's more advanced compared to say, Smush Parker... defensive angles, fighting over screens, man defense, and in some cases, driving and kicking.

I'm glad shooting is the weakness and not defensive or basic offensive fundamentals.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject:

bambam wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:
Since when is T-Mac on the trading block and, Id take Green over Conroy any day.

T-Mac was alluded to as the real target in multi-team deal about Francis in a 50+ page thread over on CL before it got locked....

you believed that?

It's looking like it's the most popular rumor coming out of All Star weekend. Numerous sources picking up on it. I still think it's unlikely, but interesting nonetheless...
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Should have kept Will Conroy...

Aussiesuede wrote:
Should have kept Will Conroy...

Mrs. Conroy, is that you?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: