Miss America Pageant Will No Longer Judge Contestants Based on Outward Appearance
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject:

ani007 wrote:
"We will no longer judge our candidates on their outward physical appearance. That's huge," she said.

i thought this was just about removing the swimsuit part

that's just silly gretchen carlson should have said based on physical app. alone or as the primary thing or something cause if she's saying it's a show having nothing to do with looks, well that is disingenuous entirely.

also, i'm fairly sure a lot of ppl will tune out ? iono maybe not they might have lost the maga crowd for life though

They are also getting rid of the part with contestants wearing evening gowns.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject:

When this thread started I wondered how a woman-focused message board would react to this topic. It would be interesting to see some poll numbers.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
ani007 wrote:
"We will no longer judge our candidates on their outward physical appearance. That's huge," she said.

i thought this was just about removing the swimsuit part

that's just silly gretchen carlson should have said based on physical app. alone or as the primary thing or something cause if she's saying it's a show having nothing to do with looks, well that is disingenuous entirely.

also, i'm fairly sure a lot of ppl will tune out ? iono maybe not they might have lost the maga crowd for life though

They are also getting rid of the part with contestants wearing evening gowns.

so its officially no longer a beauty pageant with a side talent or two. now its the side talent is the main talent. Hey, it was called Miss America. I dont know if the full name was Miss America's Beauty Pageant.

So now we get to see a mix between highly intelligent, and just plain interesting women. It might be a good move come to think of it. So my question is, if it's not about appearance, then how about not allowing us or the judges to see the women at all until we choose the runner ups and the winner. Lets go with audio interviews. Now granted this wont work if the person has some talent you need to physically see with your eyes.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Quote:
The contest announced today (June 5) that the next edition in September will drop the swimsuit portion of the competition and be inclusive of women of all sizes.

And if there was any confusion—because ditching swimsuits and including women with a whole range of bodies doesn’t preclude the show still being about beauty—Gretchen Carlson, chair of the Miss America board of directors, said on Good Morning America that “we will no longer judge our candidates on their outward physical appearance.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/qz.com/1297330/the-miss-america-swimsuit-competition-is-out/amp/

Sounds like they are saying the next Miss America could even be a woman that is clearly overweight. But would they really do that? The winner could get mocked and humiliated because people are so harsh.

If they would never pick a heavier woman, then this stuff about beauty not mattering would just be talk.

To be fair, these pageant contestants have been mocked regardless for things like dumb answers to questions, etc.

And I wouldn't say its true that if they never picked a heavier woman that it would be just talk since it is possible that the best contestants happen to also be attractive.

I’m confused. I guess I just don’t see any reason to think attractiveness will have any relevance, unless they end up being biased in favor of the most attractive contestants (and this I could definitely see happening).
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Quote:
The contest announced today (June 5) that the next edition in September will drop the swimsuit portion of the competition and be inclusive of women of all sizes.

And if there was any confusion—because ditching swimsuits and including women with a whole range of bodies doesn’t preclude the show still being about beauty—Gretchen Carlson, chair of the Miss America board of directors, said on Good Morning America that “we will no longer judge our candidates on their outward physical appearance.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/qz.com/1297330/the-miss-america-swimsuit-competition-is-out/amp/

Sounds like they are saying the next Miss America could even be a woman that is clearly overweight. But would they really do that? The winner could get mocked and humiliated because people are so harsh.

If they would never pick a heavier woman, then this stuff about beauty not mattering would just be talk.

To be fair, these pageant contestants have been mocked regardless for things like dumb answers to questions, etc.

And I wouldn't say its true that if they never picked a heavier woman that it would be just talk since it is possible that the best contestants happen to also be attractive.

I’m confused. I guess I just don’t see any reason to think attractiveness will have any relevance, unless they end up being biased in favor of the most attractive contestants (and this I could definitely see happening).

I meant that it is possible to pick a woman that is beautiful, without beauty mattering. Like, the smartest woman could also be beautiful, or not heavy, or whatever.

Anyway, it’s a bit silly. This has always been a beauty pageant. If they dont want to make it about beauty, just cancel the thing.

I mean, they have age restrictions. Why? Why can’t a 26 yr old be Miss America? Or are they saying ... age matters?
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/whats-hot/massachusetts-beauty-queen-steps-down-from-pageant-after-supernumbermetoo-joke/ar-AAzMPUU?ocid=spartanntp

wow, read the entire article

Massachusetts beauty queen steps down from pageant after #MeToo joke
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: