Jordan Clarkson's Struggles Making It Painfully Clear Lakers Won IT Trade
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:30 am    Post subject: Jordan Clarkson's Struggles Making It Painfully Clear Lakers Won IT Trade

Hey all,

Latest @BleacherReport Jordan Clarkson's Struggles Making It Painfully Clear Lakers Won IT Trade
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2779724-jordan-clarksons-struggles-making-it-painfully-clear-lakers-won-it-trade

Cheers,

EP
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:16 am    Post subject:

we got the expiring ...a definite win
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:06 am    Post subject:

Good read
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject:

I know they're written by different people, but it's striking how often the headline for your articles don't really match the tone or focus of the articles.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject:

Well written article Eric, I enjoyed it.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject:

The title doesn't really make sense to me Emplay.

The title says "Jordan Clarkson's Struggles Making It Painfully Clear Lakers Won IT Trade"

In the article you say "While Clarkson played well during his tenure with L.A., his contract ($25.9 million over the next two seasons) became a problem as executives Magic Johnson and Rob Pelinka turned the team's focus to landing multiple stars in free agency. So getting Clarkson's money off the books was huge for Los Angeles."

If getting Clarkson off the books was huge for LA, then didn't they already win the trade? Even if Clarkson plays well in Cle, wouldn't the Lakers have won the trade anyways? Isn't winning a trade = getting exactly what you want out of that trade?
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject:

He doesn’t write the title, Long Beach. That’s editorial.

Cavs fans so salty in the twitter replies.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject:

Excellent read Eric. Magic and Rob have not hit the wrong button yet, and I expect that will continue this off season. GO LAKERS!
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
I know they're written by different people, but it's striking how often the headline for your articles don't really match the tone or focus of the articles.

!!!!!
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject:

cyborgspider wrote:
He doesn’t write the title, Long Beach. That’s editorial.

Cavs fans so salty in the twitter replies.

Ahhh, ok
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject:

i liked JC when he was here, but the guy is not a Lebron type of teammate, so we definitely won considering James will be here next season. if he doesent knock down those shots, hes useless for a James centered team basically. still think hes a solid player as the primary ballhandler off the bench, so hope he can find a team where he can show it

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject:

Clarkson needs to go to a place like Sacramento or NY, a market that doesn’t have a winning atmosphere, he will put up big numbers when there is no pressure to win.
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Clarkson needs to go to a place like Sacramento or NY, a market that doesn’t have a winning atmosphere, he will put up big numbers when there is no pressure to win.

The cavaliers will not have a winning atmosphere next season. They will have pressure to lose and get top picks. Perfect situation for JC
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject:

cyborgspider wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

The cavaliers will not have a winning atmosphere next season. They will have pressure to lose and get top picks. Perfect situation for JC

Yup, they will allow him to be what he is...a high volume, Low efficiency shooter that helps your team to lose. He will average 15 or so points a game which will allow him to get a decent next contract and have enough money to continue with the lifestyle to which he has become accustomed. Some players in the league are just like that, they score enough points to make you think they are decent...but they aren’t.

Magic and Rob have won the two trades they made. Getting JC off the books and getting a 1st for doing it was brilliant, even though it cost nance...who I still like. The DLO Trade was magic, DLO played worse last season and wasn’t healthy and we got cap relief and the use of a serviceable C for a year.

So far so good for those guys. Great article Eric. I don’t know what’s going to happen this offseason, but I trust Pelinka...if he signs or trades someone, I have faith.
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject:

Clarkson with another DNP tonite.

What's up with that?
JamezAmp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Yeah we won this trade. Feel bad for JC.
Jsthornton7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject:

I don’t miss Clarkson and that salary, I do however miss Larry Nance. I think he really helped our defense. Unfortunately his next contract would have destroyed any value he had moving forward and the fact that he hasn’t developed a shot yet is a huge blow to his potential moving forward. I see Nance getting a contract a la Dwight Powell.
All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject:

We gave Larry Nance away for the 25th pick. That’s a bad trade in my book. This LeBron pipe dream caused the Lakers to trade away a perfect complementary player: works hard, freakish athlete, plays defense, scores efficiently.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject:

All_Star_Laker wrote:
We gave Larry Nance away for the 25th pick. That’s a bad trade in my book. This LeBron pipe dream caused the Lakers to trade away a perfect complementary player: works hard, freakish athlete, plays defense, scores efficiently.

He’s up for a contract next summer. He’s an ok role player who has probably reaches his ceiling. To get rid of JC’s deal and get a 25th pick was a massive Lakers win.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject:

IMO it was definitely a good trade put together by our FO; a win yes. But it's not like we fleeced the Cavs. We got what we wanted and they got some value too.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject:

All_Star_Laker wrote:

He's also injury prone and on last year of rookie contract. He also reached his ceiling.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
All_Star_Laker wrote:

He’s up for a contract next summer. He’s an ok role player who has probably reaches his ceiling. To get rid of JC’s deal and get a 25th pick was a massive Lakers win.

It seems to be a pretty strong draft through about that point too. When you are talking about talents like Robinson, Huerter, Melton and a number of other prospects as possibly being available at that point, you're getting value, especially when you consider the related rookie scale contract.

Another aspect of the trade that I think doesn't get much consideration is the ownership of IT's bird rights for a relatively small cap hold (iirc aprx $12M). If we don't land a strong free agent class, or even land only PG, you're a better team retaining IT on a one year deal than whatever you may do with the space used by the hold (which is the real cost as opposed to what you pay him for one year). It's a tremendous option to have at your disposal.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject:

Yes, 20 games of IT was super duper.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject:

Jsthornton7 wrote:
I don’t miss Clarkson and that salary, I do however miss Larry Nance. I think he really helped our defense. Unfortunately his next contract would have destroyed any value he had moving forward and the fact that he hasn’t developed a shot yet is a huge blow to his potential moving forward. I see Nance getting a contract a la Dwight Powell.

I don't see a Dwight Powell pattern or direction developing. One's purely a Four, a face-up shooter-scorer who avoids contact and the other is a physical specimen with hops, no position and poor shooting skill. Their post-rook contracts could end up weighing about the same, but I doubt it goes that way. $10M for Larry in 2019-2020 would seem to require his becoming a far bigger contributor than he's been so far.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Yes, 20 games of IT was super duper.

To paraphrase the old joke:

1st Prize - 20 games of IT.
2nd Prize - 40 games of IT
3rd Prize - 80 games of IT

I love Thomas' character & grit. Hate his D and injury.

the trade was a solid A.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: