Anthony Bourdain has died of an apparent suicide at 61.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamezAmp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject:

Today sucked. Been watching Bourdain since A Cook’s Tour. We need more people like Tony in this world.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
There was a palpable danger to Anthony Bourdain, like he was able to perform and connect, but never enjoy and be satisfied. He wore it transparently if you know what to look for, and to the rest, it just gave him a rock star air. A little like Cobain really.

That's a great description and analogy. Bourdain was definitely of that vein. I always felt there was a similarity to Keith Richards - a deep, dark but never broken survivor with multiple talents that you find yourself being drawn to the darkness and intrigued by the insight.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
Damn, I always put off watching his show; I know almost nothing about him. Gonna get on that right away. RIP

You really don’t know what you’re missing. Just wait bro. It’s some of the most touching and satisfying television ever. I’m going to miss him as well as seeing him in new adventures, greatly. RIP
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
The guy always seemed depressed to me. No idea why. He was paid millions a year to travel and eat.

Mental illness is a very real thing, unfortunately. Look at Robin Williams. It doesn't matter how much money you have or how famous you are or how many millions of fans you have. It can afflict anyone.

RIP.

In fairness, Robin had a horrible disease and was just entering the part where he was going to die a slow, awful death. I don’t begrudge him avoiding that.

Your post made me look back and I was not aware that Williams was dealing with Lewy body disease. Yeah, that leads to dementia and I know that's what Estelle Getty finally passed away from. Damn.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Secular Talk
‏Verified account @KyleKulinski
17h17 hours ago

Alex Jones went on air today and claimed Bourdain was murdered by globalists because he planned on coming out as a Trump supporter. I wish I was making this up.

VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Quote:
Secular Talk
17h17 hours ago

Alex Jones went on air today and claimed Bourdain was murdered by globalists because he planned on coming out as a Trump supporter. I wish I was making this up.

I was just reading this article from last year...

CNN host Anthony Bourdain joked in an interview with TMZ that he would poison President Trump if given the opportunity to cook for him and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

“If Trump and Kim Jong-un were going to have a bit of a summit to try and mend relations and they wanted you to cater, what would you serve?” asked a TMZ reporter.

“Hemlock," Bourdain deadpanned.

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/350857-cnn-host-bourdain-jokes-about-poisoning-trump

BY JOE CONCHA - 09/15/17 11:42 AM EDT
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Quote:
Secular Talk
17h17 hours ago

Twitter Reacts With Rage To Anthony Bourdain ‘Murder’ Conspiracy Theory Pushed Instantly By Alex Jones

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
I identified with him. As someone who has struggled with a few demons I could see them all over him, and admired his reveling in the moment and his own personality

Astute eye. And yes, I agree.

He talked about his former heroin use in an episode.

Wow. That’s pretty deep stuff. I’ve only caught portions of his shows over the years and never saw that or heard about it. He authored a book a few years back right? I think I’ll give it a read.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:
Secular Talk
17h17 hours ago

Twitter Reacts With Rage To Anthony Bourdain ‘Murder’ Conspiracy Theory Pushed Instantly By Alex Jones

LINK

Alex is a very important consultant to the president...

http://www.newsweek.com/alex-jones-says-president-trump-spends-executive-time-calling-him-790057

President Donald Trump spends his “executive time” calling conspiracy theorist Alex Jones, the InfoWars founder claimed.

“I talk to the CIA, FBI connections, Army intelligence connections, former technical head of the NSA and a bunch of other people that talk to the president,” Jones said on Genesis Communications Network’s The Alex Jones Show on Tuesday. “I’m gonna leave it at that.”
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject:

I've heard conspiracies bandied about Bourdain's and Spade's deaths myself but it was about the Clintons not Trump.

How a few months ago Bourdain was tweeting about Hilary's goons being after him.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject:

DELETED BY jodeke....Wrong thread.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:43 am; edited 2 times in total
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Is narcissism a mental illness?

Quote:
Narcissistic personality disorder — one of several types of personality disorders — is a mental condition in which people have an inflated sense of their own importance, a deep need for excessive attention and admiration, troubled relationships, and a lack of empathy for others.Nov 18, 2017

Our president suffers from this disorder. He's a sick man. He has to go.

You're making the oval office look bad with your post Jodeke
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject:

Marc Maron reposted his 2011 interview with Anthony so I gave it another listen. Very interesting from the perspective of time. He discusses the drug use, how to navigate differences in political views and a number of things food related and not. WELL worth checking out.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Is narcissism a mental illness?

Quote:
Narcissistic personality disorder — one of several types of personality disorders — is a mental condition in which people have an inflated sense of their own importance, a deep need for excessive attention and admiration, troubled relationships, and a lack of empathy for others.Nov 18, 2017

Our president suffers from this disorder. He's a sick man. He has to go.

You're making the oval office look bad with your post Jodeke

OK gov I literally when I read your post. Wrong thread.

Last edited by jodeke on Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
I just found out. I'm shocked. I record all of his shows on my tivo and always look forward to watching them. I don't just watch for the food or the famous chefs or to get a glimpse of the exotic locations, but because I genuinely enjoyed seeing these things through HIS eyes. His ability to connect with the street vendor in some obscure village or a President of a 1st world country, was something I always envied about this man. Such a rare breed. This one hurts. RIP.

Great thoughts.

I always thought his shows really were not as much about food as about experiencing new things and other cultures.

I liked how he didn't just eat 5 star cuisine, he ate with the "working joes" regularly all over the world.

His interactions and views were always really interesting, the Tokyo episode tied in with the sex worker scene there was an example of great TV in my opinion.

I am now realizing that in large part my "international travel bug" that is now one of my major passions is in large part due to watching him and his experiences.

RIP Anthony, you left a mark.....
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
I've heard conspiracies bandied about Bourdain's and Spade's deaths myself but it was about the Clintons not Trump.

How a few months ago Bourdain was tweeting about Hilary's goons being after him.

check your sources first...

Home » True Pundit
True Pundit
*Voting Polls do not affect MBFC bias ratings

CONSPIRACY-PSEUDOSCIENCE
Sources in the Conspiracy-Pseudoscience category may publish unverifiable information that is not always supported by evidence. These sources may be untrustworthy for credible/verifiable information, therefore fact checking and further investigation is recommended on a per article basis when obtaining information from these sources. See all Conspiracy-Pseudoscience sources.

Factual Reporting: MIXED

Notes: True Pundit occasionally publishes a legitimate story, some are conspiracies. This source also currently delivers news straight from the Daily Caller which has a strong right-wing bias. Most articles from True Pundit have anonymous authors. This source has also been flagged for false information and has an unproven claim. Simply not trustworthy. (10/4/2016) Update (6/19/2017)
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject:

I have shared before that 8 years ago I flat lined in the hospital and an amazing code blue team brought me back. Ever since then I see life as beauty and see brilliance in things I previously took for granted. So it is difficult understanding that someone would take their own life, even when it happened to family members. Anthony obviously lived on an edge and his shoes at a minimum made one think and at max made one cry. I will miss his world view, something that I personally don’t have a strong grasp of. I will hope that his 11 yo daughter has a strong support system in place, after losing a father at a similar age that is the only thing that kept my train on the rails. While we have lost an important voice in today’s world, it pales in comparison to losing a parent.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Quote:
Secular Talk
17h17 hours ago

Yeah No, if there was foul play (which is probably not the case) this would actually be more possible.

http://start.att.net/news/read/category/entertainment/article/the_hollywood_report-anthony_bourdain_received_threats_from_azerbaijans-promart
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject:

Kind of eerie - Was watching Bourdain's Quebec episode right now (CNN was airing it). There was a scene where chefs were cooking in a crappy kitchen on electric stoves...He said,

Quote:
"Look at this tiny electric four-burner stove. At no point in my cooking career could I have worked with one of these without murdering everyone in the vicinity before hanging myself from the nearest beam."
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Quote:
Secular Talk
17h17 hours ago

From what I've seen on Bourdain talking with people on his show, he would never, ever support someone like Trump. But you don't need to know Bourdain to know that. You just need to know Alex Jones is a nutjob and never to believe what he says.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject:

Alex Jones is an excellent social barometer. Simply ask a new acquaintance, "so, what do you think of Alex Jones saying (insert anything he's said)?" If you get anything but instant, "what a nutjob", back away slowly while maintaining eye contact.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject:

dvdrdiscs wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:
Secular Talk
17h17 hours ago

From what I've seen on Bourdain talking with people on his show, he would never, ever support someone like Trump. But you don't need to know Bourdain to know that. You just need to know Alex Jones is a nutjob and never to believe what he says.

I don't think he believes half the things that come out of his mouth. His net worth is around $10 million. Is he a nut job?

Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:
Secular Talk
17h17 hours ago

I don't think he believes half the things that come out of his mouth. His net worth is around $10 million. Is he a nut job?

Personally, I wouldn't help burn down the world for money, but that's just me.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:
Secular Talk
17h17 hours ago

Why isn't this a "Human Code"?

Humans cling to the fear of something in the sky judging them while they let capitalists burn down the most important thing a God ever gave them..

I feel like going on a mission to schools and engaging children in acknowledging "Where does the stuff in my home come from???"
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:
Secular Talk
17h17 hours ago

That's me also. Unfortunately we have a president and a supporter who will.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: