2018 FIFA WORLD CUP RUSSIA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win the world cup?
Argentina
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
Brazil
17%
 17%  [ 8 ]
England
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
France
17%
 17%  [ 8 ]
Germany
23%
 23%  [ 11 ]
Portugal
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Spain
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Other
17%
 17%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 47

Author Message
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 20884

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject:

Pidge wrote:
Wouldn't be half surprised to see Southgate start Dier and Henderson, two deeper midfielders against Rakitic and Modric makes sense.


The benefit for Croatia is that we will at least try and play football against them. They have a much more settled team and style of play than us, think it comes down to how much these ETs are weighing on their legs at this point.


Croatia seems to thrive on turmoil. First, a player gets sent home for refusing to enter a game. Now, a coach gets sent home for a controversial video.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/croatia/story/3561101/croatia-sack-staff-member-ognjen-vukojevic-over-glory-to-ukraine-message
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 20884

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject:

This is pretty good:

Quote:
@JamilChade

Things that didn’t exist the last time England reached the semi-finals:

iPhone
Facebook
Google
Amazon
Twitter
Instagram
Yahoo
YouTube
Snapchat
LinkedIn
Wikipedia
Text msgs
BlackBerry
Spotify
Tesla
Skype
Uber
Airbnb
Bitcoin
Fitbit
Emojis
eBay
iPad

and

Croatia!!!

#WorldCup
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Moses
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Posts: 7862
Location: London

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
This is pretty good:

Quote:
@JamilChade

Things that didn’t exist the last time England reached the semi-finals:

iPhone
Facebook
Google
Amazon
Twitter
Instagram
Yahoo
YouTube
Snapchat
LinkedIn
Wikipedia
Text msgs
BlackBerry
Spotify
Tesla
Skype
Uber
Airbnb
Bitcoin
Fitbit
Emojis
eBay
iPad

and

Croatia!!!

#WorldCup


I saw a similar thing with the Dodgers and the world series the other week from some Giants fan, makes me laugh, but feel a bit sad inside

Makes you realize how much the world has changed in our lifetimes, crazy.
_________________
Even The Genius Has His Questions, Be Grateful For Blessings...
Lakers, Chargers, Dodgers

RIP Junior Seau
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 1263

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject:

One thing i hate about the world cup is it remnds me i am 4 years older from last world cup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor


Joined: 29 Dec 2002
Posts: 9548

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
One thing i hate about the world cup is it remnds me i am 4 years older from last world cup.


Haha, my earliest memory was the 1986 World Cup. I remember how my dad was holding me in front of the TV. I remember Maradona. And then the 1990 World Cup came and my country Yugoslavia lost in penalties against Argentina, after playing better throughout the game and missing many chances.

This particular World Cup is one that means the least. No USA, no Bosnia, and it's in Russia. Meh. Some exciting games here and there, but I don't really care what happens.
_________________
¡Hala Madrid!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 30203

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:
One thing i hate about the world cup is it remnds me i am 4 years older from last world cup.


Haha, my earliest memory was the 1986 World Cup. I remember how my dad was holding me in front of the TV. I remember Maradona. And then the 1990 World Cup came and my country Yugoslavia lost in penalties against Argentina, after playing better throughout the game and missing many chances.

This particular World Cup is one that means the least. No USA, no Bosnia, and it's in Russia. Meh. Some exciting games here and there, but I don't really care what happens.


I thought I would feel this way since the US wasn't in it....but since I have no rooting interest, I got to see more games from countries I normally wouldn't watch and got to see how different their styles of play were from each other.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 1263

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Wilt wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:
One thing i hate about the world cup is it remnds me i am 4 years older from last world cup.


Haha, my earliest memory was the 1986 World Cup. I remember how my dad was holding me in front of the TV. I remember Maradona. And then the 1990 World Cup came and my country Yugoslavia lost in penalties against Argentina, after playing better throughout the game and missing many chances.

This particular World Cup is one that means the least. No USA, no Bosnia, and it's in Russia. Meh. Some exciting games here and there, but I don't really care what happens.


I thought I would feel this way since the US wasn't in it....but since I have no rooting interest, I got to see more games from countries I normally wouldn't watch and got to see how different their styles of play were from each other.


I know what you mean. I am enjoying the game a lot more.

I am on the Belgium bandwagon now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 04 Oct 2001
Posts: 5713
Location: Allupinya

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject:

#BELFRA
Half time, no score. Both teams have had some excellent chances.
_________________
The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge. - Isaac Asimov
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
cathy78
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 21 Jan 2013
Posts: 909

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject:

I wish they would play more basketball like. Gritty man to man defense, a lot more off ball movement on offense. And those set pieces are painful to watch sometimes. Do the coaches not have a board where they can show those players how to "set screens" and get the right man open? You can't tell me that those guys can't place the ball accurately within a foot. And for the love of god put some half-court rules and a "shotclock" in place.

It's the off season I guess. lol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 30203

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject:

France on the board....1-0
The dream of the France-England final is alive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Pidge
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 11 Oct 2012
Posts: 364

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Pidge wrote:
Wouldn't be half surprised to see Southgate start Dier and Henderson, two deeper midfielders against Rakitic and Modric makes sense.


The benefit for Croatia is that we will at least try and play football against them. They have a much more settled team and style of play than us, think it comes down to how much these ETs are weighing on their legs at this point.


Croatia seems to thrive on turmoil. First, a player gets sent home for refusing to enter a game. Now, a coach gets sent home for a controversial video.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/croatia/story/3561101/croatia-sack-staff-member-ognjen-vukojevic-over-glory-to-ukraine-message


Imagine apologising to Putin over the Ukraine...
_________________
"I got Wheaties!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
cathy78
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 21 Jan 2013
Posts: 909

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject:

oh, and substitutions in should never take more than 15 sec, automatic penalty otherwise...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 30203

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject:

French speed kills.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 30203

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject:

France advances to the World Cup Final.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 13540
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
France advances to the World Cup Final.


Thought it was a well-played game. Les Blues have now advanced to the Final in 3 of the last 6 World Cups.
_________________
It's time to quiet the naysayers and Laker haters...let's go!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 04 Oct 2001
Posts: 5713
Location: Allupinya

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject:

Hazard was electric in the first half. France had Kante mark him in the second half and it made a difference.

Bummer. I really wanted a Belgium/England final.

Let's go Three Lions! #ItsComingHome.
_________________
The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge. - Isaac Asimov
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 30203

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Mbappe will only be 27 when by the time of the 2026 Fifa World Cup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
panamaniac
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 May 2011
Posts: 7760
Location: PTY

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject:

England better win.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Jan 2012
Posts: 4857
Location: Southland Native

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject:

France just edged past Belgium. Shame cuz I prefer 🍺 over 🍷.
_________________
Manchester United | Greatest European Moments
Romelu Lukaku - Welcome to United!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor


Joined: 29 Dec 2002
Posts: 9548

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Promising beginning to that game with some great saves from both keepers. Not the best 2nd half.

France the favorite against England/Croatia.
_________________
¡Hala Madrid!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 Apr 2001
Posts: 6608

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject:

France and Belgium were the 2 best teams in the semi-finals, so this game was like the Rockets-Warriors WCF. France could easily take on England or Croatia.
_________________
“Properly read, the bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.”
― Isaac Asimov
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 41077
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject:

Let's go England! Beat the Croats and then best the Croaks!
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell


Last edited by DaMuleRules on Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 20884

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
France and Belgium were the 2 best teams in the semi-finals, so this game was like the Rockets-Warriors WCF. France could easily take on England or Croatia.


True, but the final is a single game, not seven. It will be a surprise if England or Croatia win the World Cup, but it won’t be a shocker if they beat France, viewed in isolation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mockerfab4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 675
Location: Phoenix, AZ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Wilt wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:
One thing i hate about the world cup is it remnds me i am 4 years older from last world cup.


Haha, my earliest memory was the 1986 World Cup. I remember how my dad was holding me in front of the TV. I remember Maradona. And then the 1990 World Cup came and my country Yugoslavia lost in penalties against Argentina, after playing better throughout the game and missing many chances.

This particular World Cup is one that means the least. No USA, no Bosnia, and it's in Russia. Meh. Some exciting games here and there, but I don't really care what happens.


I thought I would feel this way since the US wasn't in it....but since I have no rooting interest, I got to see more games from countries I normally wouldn't watch and got to see how different their styles of play were from each other.


Feel the same too! I only watched Team USA and a few games here and there, but this year, I’ve pretty much watched all but maybe one or two games.
_________________
I Don't Give A Damn About My Bad Reputation.... Joan Jett
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor


Joined: 29 Dec 2002
Posts: 9548

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject:

Fun fact: Giroud has played 7 hours at this World Cup without registering a shot on goal.


_________________
¡Hala Madrid!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 15 of 18
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB