If we strike out ENTIRELY this summer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kawhileonard
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
If we don't sign anybody notable, we will be in for another bad season. Our young guys aren't particularly talented and certainly don't have what it takes to make any type of noise.

But we could also get a good pick (Tankathon v 2.0)
kawhileonard
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject:

THe concerning part is all the bottom feeders are improving this summer.

Kings: Giles is returning this season and they drafted Bagley, who at his worse is still probably better than WCS.

Suns: Ayton + Bridges +okobo

Memphis: I honestly think JJJ was the best pick for them and someone who fit the team now and for the future.

Dallas: DSJ + DOncic backcourt. (might be perfect compliments to each other)Also, if DSJ fails they got a reliable PG in brunson. Them not picking any big gives me the indication they will go hard for Randle and Cousins this summer.

Hard to say we will be better than them if we strike out this summer.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject:

If we don't bring in anyone new but bring back Pope/Lopez/Thomas we will be in the playoffs
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject:

kawhileonard wrote:

Kings: Giles is returning this season and they drafted Bagley, who at his worse is still probably better than WCS.

Memphis: I honestly think JJJ was the best pick for them and someone who fit the team now and for the future.

Dallas: DSJ + DOncic backcourt. (might be perfect compliments to each other)Also, if DSJ fails they got a reliable PG in brunson. Them not picking any big gives me the indication they will go hard for Randle and Cousins this summer.

Oh ye of little faith...
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject:

How I feel about the Lakers striking out will depend on how the Lakers strike out. I want the Lakers to at least be willing to trade for a 3rd star to lure in LeBron and Paul George. If there's no trade out there that gets them to LA, then so be it. I can accept that the Lakers tried their hardest, but other factors out of their control got in the way.

I don't want the Lakers to miss out because they held onto the core players under the belief that any of them are definitely going to be stars in the future. I just don't hold them to that lofty level.

Last edited by Japago on Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
tofulakers
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject:

If we strike out this summer, we're getting Kahwi next summer.
But, all signs point to Lebron going to the Lakers. And this season will be make it or break it years for Ingram and Lonzo.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
I feel the opposite.

You're desperate for a move this summer? Or not excited to watch the kids?

Why do you equate signing two stars (one being the best player in the world and the other an eite, two-way wing and All-Star) to desperation? Signing those two guys is not what true desperation looks like. The Mozgov and Deng signings were desperate. Completely face-planting the initial pitch meeting with Aldridge so badly that you had to request a second meeting for a second shot at it was desperate. Putting up billboards that begged Howard to stay was desperate.

You can't contend without stars. LeBron James and Paul George will both sign with the Lakers this offseason, and the Lakers will be contenders next season because of it.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject:

I think we should at least hope for Paul George. If we strike out on him then I'd consider this summer a failure, though I'd still be very excited to watch the team next year.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
If we don't bring in anyone new but bring back Pope/Lopez/Thomas we will be in the playoffs

This. We'll sign someone though
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:42 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

This. We'll sign someone though

Wanted to add this caveat to my earlier statement: health is key

If we don't get a superstar, then even if just one of our young core is out for too many games, we may miss the playoffs again.
kawhileonard
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:18 am    Post subject:

If we were in the east, playoffs would be a thing.

However, the west is a different beast.

As mention above, everyone got better in the western conference (lower end teams) Honestly, if we don't sign any of the big names, I would be surprised if we weren't running for the bottom 3 in the west again.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject:

Timing is the Key... We could lose out on our own Free Agents, waiting for a LeBron James or Paul George to unfold...
Free Agency Sucks, because it's always a toss up!
If we have an opportunity to resign:
Isaiah Thomas
Julius Randle
Brook Lopez

But some other teams swoop them up, because we're waiting on the Big Names, we'll be screwed and there's nothing anyone can do about it...

Our Core is Solid and they will play hard, but it will ultimately be another wasted season for the Lakers.
Zo+Ingram+Kuzma+Randle+Hart
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject:

This could very well be the situation and I'm okay with it.

It would mean Deng rides the bench another year and becomes valuable I'm the off-season as an expiring.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject:

As long as the clippers strike out as well. If the clippers are able to trade or land a free agent and the lakers could not than magic deserves to be ripped apart. Mainly for saying no to jerry west and letting him go to the clippers
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

Not gonna happen. Maybe IT might need to take a one year "prove it deal" but KCP and Brook won't need to even if they're annual salaries won't be as high as last season. Even IT might be better off taking a longer deal for less than Brinks truck money because he'll be 30 when next season ends.

As others have pointed out, this draft sure looks like it was going all-in on getting those max free-agents Maginka have been promising. Other than Bonga, it didn't seem like the Lakers were looking for players to develop for down the road.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject:

kawhileonard wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
If we don't sign anybody notable, we will be in for another bad season. Our young guys aren't particularly talented and certainly don't have what it takes to make any type of noise.

But we could also get a good pick (Tankathon v 2.0)

Which is all well and good if you can package it for a superstar, otherwise you are just getting another young project.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject:

I think that one can build a fine enough team from the "young core" pieces currently on hand (i.e., core players whom together could become capable of making a run to the Finals.) That said, it seem impractical to try to just "bring back the band" intact.

I wouldn't like to see I-Thomas kept around if only because he seems such a strong flavor and represents a diversion from so many better alternative futures without him. KCP doesn't seem special at all and represented a huge contract last season. Lopez is clearly an interim tool but could be useful enough for a replay, though with addition of a rookie center, I'd have to wonder how many huge guys are needed for 2019. Personally, I'd just prefer to see the Lakers roll their dice with Randle than without him.
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject:

I won’t say strike out but if George resigns with okc and Lebron comes what about Deng for Melo. It saves them money maybe gets them under the luxury tax I’m not sure. Lebron gets someone to come for a year and Melo expires and comes off the books for Kawhi next year plus lets us keep the young core
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject:

If we strike out entirely this summer, the move to make is a max offer to Capella.

It's a win win -

If they match, we get Houston in financial trouble going forward that would be very limiting for them.

If they dont' - we get a young top 5 center who provides what we lack defensively.
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject:

WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
I won’t say strike out but if George resigns with okc and Lebron comes what about Deng for Melo. It saves them money maybe gets them under the luxury tax I’m not sure. Lebron gets someone to come for a year and Melo expires and comes off the books for Kawhi next year plus lets us keep the young core

Think u posted in the FA thread about this. I compared it to the Dodgers Matt Kemp trade

Lakers dump Deng sooner 2 yrs $36mm and get Melo’s $28mm expiring

Thunder reduce their 2018/19 luxury tax bill by probably $20mm since Deng makes $10mm less. Then they can use Deng’s expiring in 2019/20 to make a deal
Dondre
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject:

If we strike out.

Sign Boogie and give him a year to get back, resign Randle.

Then in 2019,

Kawhi and Klay

Lineup:

Lonzo
Klay
Kawhi
Randle
Cousin
+ Ingram
+ Kuzma
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject:

Honestly I already believe we aren't getting PG or LB. And KL is a pipe.

KL: whatever is being leaked doesn't help the lakers, IMO. We saw this play out the same way last year with PG and he ended up in OKC. Wouldn't shock me if something similar happens...perhaps even that KL to Cleveland rumor comes true. Bottom line: someone as salty as pops is no way in hell going to give KL what he wants...so it's literally not gonna happen (at least this year).

LB: I just don't see it. I'm fine if I'm wrong here but I just think he finds a way to make it work with CLE (especially if the above happens). Either that or some team we haven't discussed gets him...can OKC get him? I wouldn't want to play with RW if I'm LB but crazier things have happened.

PG: I just think he is smoking the Andre Roberson would have made a difference pipe. Supporting him staying is that after a rocky start OKC had a pretty darn good regular season record the rest of the way. I just think he will rationalize it's better for him to stay with a unit like that.

In sum after the above happens about 2/3 of LG will come here asking for maginkas heads. The problem, however, is it's nothing they did...I honestly believe this is just a stacked deck against them that would take a miracle to overcome.

So I'll be fine since I have very little expectation. I'll be disappointed- but not at the lakers FO, but more at PG for smoking that Andre Roberson would have made a difference pipe.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject:

I have mixed feelings about that.

It would suck on one hand because we've heard about the plan for two max guys for a year now. Might mean another year of missing the playoffs as well.

On the other hand, we have young guys with plenty of potential, and I would be excited to see how they grow this summer into next year.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject:

kawhileonard wrote:

WRT Cauley-Stein and Bagley: neither player is comparable at all. One's a mobile defender with excellent length and poor instincts, the other a pure scorer/O-rebounder who's not yet recognized he's not the only guy who can touch the ball.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject:

sogood. wrote:
Worst case scenario was talked about on The Jump. We strike out on free agents and lose Jules.

July 1st- A team like the Mavs offered Jules the max and he signs it. We have 3 days to match but don't because we're too focused on Lebron/PG.

We only have 2 days to match
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11
Jump to: