Moritz "Mo" Wagner the 25th Pick Official Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 55, 56, 57  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
TDRock wrote:
They are interviewing him on The Starters right now and he is definitely a nut. I think he probably should calm down on the trash talk a little bit but I do like his personality a lot.

Oh I wouldn't stress a little trash talk. He's fine.

Not stressed ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think folks should probably play one actual NBA game first LOL but that’s just me lol

Like I said already I like his personality was funny in that interview

Loved his interview on The Starters, he's sharp and has a great sense of humor. Wish they broke out the guitar at the end
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Moe with the futbol skills

TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
TDRock wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
TDRock wrote:
They are interviewing him on The Starters right now and he is definitely a nut. I think he probably should calm down on the trash talk a little bit but I do like his personality a lot.

Oh I wouldn't stress a little trash talk. He's fine.

Not stressed ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think folks should probably play one actual NBA game first LOL but that’s just me lol

Like I said already I like his personality was funny in that interview

Loved his interview on The Starters, he's sharp and has a great sense of humor. Wish they broke out the guitar at the end

I know right?! Like dude if you mention you play guitar, be prepared to play guitar!
KAJtheGOAT
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject:

Good to see him doing some good stuff on/off the court. I really hope he does good against the experienced NBA players. Hopefully the scouts found gem
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject:

Mo's D has really stood out. He contests everything and is getting in front of players, even guys who are smaller than him. He's wayyyyyy more mobile on D than I had expected. I think he can legitimately play some small ball center.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
NBALakerLegends
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Mo's D has really stood out. He contests everything and is getting in front of players, even guys who are smaller than him. He's wayyyyyy more mobile on D than I had expected. I think he can legitimately play some small ball center.

Not sure I would consider Mo a small ball center. He’s 6’11” and isn’t necessarily strong, but he has a solid base. He plays hard and has a crazy motor, he can definitely hold down the Center spot for backup mins.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

Defense definitely improved over game 1 in Sacramento.
In Sacramento, he was so late in help rotations.
I was surprised when I saw the Philly game and saw him rotate better.
He's continued it today for sure.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

Feels like he's improving on defense every game.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject:

NBALakerLegends wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Not sure I would consider Mo a small ball center. He’s 6’11” and isn’t necessarily strong, but he has a solid base. He plays hard and has a crazy motor, he can definitely hold down the Center spot for backup mins.

The bolded is why I said small ball center. If you want a legit center, he's not your guy. That will change though. Strength is probably the easiest thing to cure for an NBA player. He's got the motor, which is probably more important than anything... but he has the skill too and can legitimately stretch the floor. But, yea, as you said, he should definitely be able to hold down the C spot for 10-15 minutes per game.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject:

He seems to really take pride on the defensive end
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
NBALakerLegends wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

The bolded is why I said small ball center. If you want a legit center, he's not your guy. That will change though. Strength is probably the easiest thing to cure for an NBA player. He's got the motor, which is probably more important than anything... but he has the skill too and can legitimately stretch the floor. But, yea, as you said, he should definitely be able to hold down the C spot for 10-15 minutes per game.

I think Mo is the backup for sure. Javale probably has the starting job locked up. He’s going to block shots and we’re going to get out and run, but Mo gives us a different look because he can stretch the floor. We’re going to run teams into the ground next year
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject:

It's obviously been far from a perfect run so far for him, so I'm not going to sugarcoat it. He hasn't been able to hit from distance consistently, and he's having trouble finishing inside (though the degree of difficulty on some of his shots has been much harder than necessary, we need to set him up better). Overall, it's been ugly watching him try to score at times. But...the good news is that was supposed to be his strength coming in, so the shot should come around. He'll be able to adjust to the added distance, and his finishing will get better as he adds strength and gets used to the length he's facing. The footwork is there, and he's made some smart passes, too.

Though I'm most surprised (pleasantly) at how he's looked on the supposedly weaker end for him. He's competing hard on defense, moves his feet better than advertised, and contests everything. Sure, he's probably going to get called for A LOT of fouls this season (and the summer league refs definitely have it in for him), but I'm liking his motor and it bodes well for his NBA future. The rebounding has been great, too.

Let's just see if we can get him a few easy buckets in the next game, and put him in better spots for him to attack. Posting up is not his strength, and I think the stats support that, so we need to stop force-feeding him with those opportunities to get swatted.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject:

He will look better with better talent around him. Play defense, rim run, space the floor, set good screens and roll hard. I think he looks much better in a role off the bench.

I think we’re too concerned about what he can’t do instead of focusing on what he can do right now to help us win games. That’s the approach we need to switch to with all of our young guys because we’re in win now mode. We can still develop our young talent but we need to focus on what they do well and let them work on their weaknesses on their own time.

We gotta remember these guys will be playing their roles in the regular season. We probably won’t see him post up too much or take a lot of crazy shots.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject:

I can’t find the exact tweet but Cranjis made a point that Moe’s college shooting stats were much lower in pick and pop play compared to all other play types. I think we’ve seen evidence of that in summer league and it’s something he’ll need to work on.

But I’ve been encouraged by his focus on defensive rebounding the past couple games.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject:

Moe shooting 35% overall from the field and 29% from 3.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Yeah, he's been looking good
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:

how is that looking good?
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject:

NBALakerLegends wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

By small ball we mean he's a stretch guy that runs the floor and can move his feet. Not a low post center that can't switch on D and has trouble moving their feet.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I think that's sarcasm...
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
adkindo wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I think that's sarcasm...

oh, ok....missed it.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:

He's been improving by the game at all the things he took criticism for when he was drafted. I'll take an 8/14/2/3/2 game from anyone. Went 4/15 yesterday and impacted the game all around. I think he was good last night. And he was great in the Vegas opener. He's been cutting down his fouling and turnovers.

His efficiency has been streaky, but if his shooting percentages are all we should look at in evaluating and ignoring that he has a track record of being a proven scorer in college then I guess he's been bad but I'm more encouraged he's working on things he hasn't been great at and even improving by the game, and trusting the efficient scoring will come in time.

I think he should have taken some easier shots last night.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject:

Most players put up awful efficiency stats in SPL.

New teammates, little practice time.

Different motivations, people hogging shots, getting used to NBA 3 point line, new rugged physicality, etc.

I've been very pleased with what I'm seeing from Wagner/Svi so far. They will be in our rotation next year and that's really good for a 25/47th pick.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Different motivations, people hogging shots, getting used to NBA 3 point line, new rugged physicality, etc.

I've been very pleased with what I'm seeing from Wagner/Svi so far. They will be in our rotation next year and that's really good for a 25/47th pick.

I like your answer better than mine lol
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I like your answer better than mine lol

SPL is basically an organized pick up game.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject:

The ball handling and mobility on the perimeter both on offense and defense has been amazing. His interior defense and finishing still leaves a lot to be desired. I think he’ll have a lot of success trailing to the top of the key in our offense but he still has some question marks in his game. Overall, I like what I’ve seen.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Page 33 of 57
Jump to: