What Can LA Lakers Do Now with Newfound Max Cap Space?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject: What Can LA Lakers Do Now with Newfound Max Cap Space?

Hey All,

What Can LA Lakers Do Now with Newfound Max Cap Space? I suggest the Miami maneuver if the Lakers strike out with Kawhi - a salary cap trick to get the most out of their space if broken into multiple pieces @BleacherReport
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2843163-what-can-la-lakers-do-now-with-newfound-max-cap-space

Cheers,

EP
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Great article, this suspense is killing me.. Don't ya think, we should start hearing about players agreeing to contracts starting on Monday?

I sure hope the Lakers don't wait around a week for Kawhi, Irving and Russell and then missing out on all the decent mid-level guys.

With so many Teams having big chunks of money to spend, those mid-level guys may get gobbled up quickly...

The only thing worse than having 3-Max Stars and a bunch of minimum level guys IS having 2-Max Stars and a bunch of minimum level guys...
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:00 pm    Post subject:

Can't the Lakers use the Miami maneuver to essentially give Kawhi the max (after unlikely incentives) or maybe even fit another free agent under that space? Correct me if I'm wrong but if they sign Kawhi to a base salary of about $28 million, the incentive puts him over $32 million (and thus very close to his max) and also enables them to keep Bullock's cap hold on the books.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
Can't the Lakers use the Miami maneuver to essentially give Kawhi the max (after unlikely incentives) or maybe even fit another free agent under that space? Correct me if I'm wrong but if they sign Kawhi to a base salary of about $28 million, the incentive puts him over $32 million (and thus very close to his max) and also enables them to keep Bullock's cap hold on the books.

U was thinking the exact same thing!

SGSD32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject:

I love the article. Fantastic insight on Lakers options.

Me, I'd go after Kawhi. If I didn't land him? Then I'd go to the multiple player plan. He's worth the max, absolutely, and the rest of the options have enough warts to suggest going in another direction.

I mean.. you could get Beverly.. Ariza.. Deadmon.. and Curry? Lots of different ways to go.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject:

doesn't work with Kawhi - would need $32 mil in cap space to sign Kawhi to a $28 mil contract with $4 mil in incentive

but it doens't take up all the cap room to sign someone to say $20 mil with $3 mil incentive - you need $23 mil in cap room to sign that player but AFTER you do, they're cap hit is $20 mil - so you gain back that $3 mil
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject:

Also:

Latest @BleacherReport Breaking Down Kevin Durant's Free-Agency Contract Options https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2842995-breaking-down-kevin-durants-free-agency-contract-options
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: