Official Isaac Bonga Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 51, 52, 53  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Isaac Bonga should have been a 1st Round pick. Only reasons why he fell all the way to 38th are a) he refused to provide his medicals to any other NBA team b) he refused to work out for any other team after the Laker workout.

He was drafted in the understanding that he will use this year to get stronger and improve his shooting.

I am completely on board with that.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject:

LakersForever123 wrote:
Isaac Bonga should have been a 1st Round pick. Only reasons why he fell all the way to 38th are a) he refused to provide his medicals to any other NBA team b) he refused to work out for any other team after the Laker workout.

He was drafted in the understanding that he will use this year to get stronger and improve his shooting.

I am completely on board with that.

Not close
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
What he has going for him is his speed and his handles.

He is a project.

I don't think he has speed in his favor. He's basically getting away with having long strides/wingspan and playing against other smaller PGs. When he plays wing, all of his advantages are neutralized.

Agree/disagree?

Bonga has the athelticism of a Kyle Anderson

Disagree.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:

He is a project.

I don't think he has speed in his favor. He's basically getting away with having long strides/wingspan and playing against other smaller PGs. When he plays wing, all of his advantages are neutralized.

Agree/disagree?

Disagree.

He's worse? lol
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:

He is a project.

Agree/disagree?

Disagree.

He's worse? lol

Nope.

StillSWOL
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:

He is a project.

Agree/disagree?

Disagree.

He's worse? lol

Not even close, Bonga is way more twitchy much more athletic, Kyle Anderson is / was a better prospect IMO but he is Boban level slow
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
xjoemo wrote:
Pretty underwhelming summer league for Bonga but I guess it's to be expected. He came in kind of late and didn't really get a chance to get acclimated. We also filled the roster with a bunch of guards so we really didn't get to see his game as a distributor. It would have been nice to see him show more aggressiveness because he just did not look comfortable. The potential is there but definitely plenty of work to do so hopefully this guy is in the gym with our player development staff all summer. While other second rounders like Robinson and Melton looked great, I'm okay with swinging for the fences on this pick because our depth allows us to be patient and he will be in an environment to learn from the right mentors.

Underwhelming is putting it nice. He was terrible! Looked completely overmatched.

I think he is a year away from being a year away for being an NBA role-player. Which isn't bad since he is so young. A disciplined developmental plan for this kid along with extended stints in the G-League will do him wonders. It is a "swing for the fences" that has a good probability of ending up as a "strike out" but he might end up as a poor man's Ben Simmons (being a poor man's Magic is, of course, out of the question since there is only one Magic).

Chances r the Lakers have to give him a 2nd contract to get any contribution out of him. I can’t see him contributing in the next 3 yrs. Sort of like Zubac.

Drafted him 31st overall. This is his 3rd yr and we’re not expecting any contributions from him this yr. If we get anything out of Zubac, it’ll have to be on another contract.

Same thing w/ Bonga.

So Bonga needs to show the FO enough to get a 2nd contract. That’s a tall order.

Difficult to speculate on a 18 year old. Who would have speculated JR would not get a 2nd contract.

Yeah, this is why the NBA needs something like a minor leagues (which they are trying to do w/ the G-league).

I'm trying to think of a player who didn't get many minutes during the first contract but then got a 2nd contract.

Bonga might be that type of player for the Lakers. For sure, he's not going to get any minutes this yr.

If we get Kawhi next yr, he might not get any minutes next yr either.
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject:

I’m a big supporter of the Maginka FO, but this move definitely has me perplexed. Wasted a pick to move up, and he’s now taking up a roster spot. I know this is a low risk / high reward thing, but damn, I really don’t see what’s in this kid. I sure hope I’m wrong.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Daphanabe wrote:
I’m a big supporter of the Maginka FO, but this move definitely has me perplexed. Wasted a pick to move up, and he’s now taking up a roster spot. I know this is a low risk / high reward thing, but damn, I really don’t see what’s in this kid. I sure hope I’m wrong.

He’ll look like a much different player after a year in the Gleague, it’s so many reps. Key is still how good of a shooting coach we get or assign to him
StillSWOL
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject:

They likely had another player in mind, prob had Bonga slated for the 47th pick, this was in all likelihood plan B or C
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:

He’ll look like a much different player after a year in the Gleague, it’s so many reps. Key is still how good of a shooting coach we get or assign to him

Was he not getting reps in Europe? You make it sound like the G-league is some magic elixir.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:

Was he not getting reps in Europe? You make it sound like the G-league is some magic elixir.

He wasn’t in the highest level league in his country out there. And the Gleague is pretty damn useful - players come up from it and manage to get buckets when they get minutes in the league on a bad team - I’m just saying that’s Bonga is very far from that right now, and will at least get to that point. I’m not saying the Gleague will make him a rotation player, but it should make him at least a 12-15 roster spot guy like half of the Gleague is good enough to be
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:

He wasn’t in the highest level league in his country out there. And the Gleague is pretty damn useful - players come up from it and manage to get buckets when they get minutes in the league on a bad team - I’m just saying that’s Bonga is very far from that right now, and will at least get to that point. I’m not saying the Gleague will make him a rotation player, but it should make him at least a 12-15 roster spot guy like half of the Gleague is good enough to be

Ok.

It’s just how you worded it - “He’ll look like a much different player after a year in the Gleague”

Makes it sound like the G-league is going to transform him in a yr
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:

Ok.

It’s just how you worded it - “He’ll look like a much different player after a year in the Gleague”

Not into a good NBA player, but possibly into a good Gleague player. ATM he’s not even a Gleague level player probably
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:

The g-league has a 50+ game schedule plus he will practice against better players including his Laker teammates. This is probably the best case scenario a young player could hope for.

The South Bay Lakers normally has experienced vets (e.g. Wear, A Ingram, Caruso, Ayres) mixed in with young prospects and that helps with team play and execution. Again a good development environment.

I believe international leagues as a norm play a lesser amount of games and the competition will not be as good unless you are in the top European leagues.
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:

Ok.

Not into a good NBA player, but possibly into a good Gleague player. ATM he’s not even a Gleague level player probably

That’s the same feeling I’m getting. At which point, I’m like “What’s the point”. Would have been better then to just give him the two-way and then save that roster spot for a higher upside bet (eg. Young reclamation project). I’m sure there’s something we’re missing here. I wonder who his agent is, maybe it was a favor.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject:

Daphanabe wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:

Ok.

That’s the same feeling I’m getting. At which point, I’m like “What’s the point”. Would have been better then to just give him the two-way and then save that roster spot for a higher upside bet (eg. Young reclamation project). I’m sure there’s something we’re missing here. I wonder who his agent is, maybe it was a favor.

What is missing is we have not had much exposure to Bonga given he is an international player from Germany who was not an acclaimed prospect such as Doncic. As such the information on him is relatively scarce compared to a US prospect and from a few minutes in summer league we form the opinion he is not very good.

What is missing is we have no information on his private Laker workout or the scouting reports the Lakers have on him. He obviously must have impressed for a promise to be made. The Lakers hired and international scout this past season and Jesse and Rob took an overseas trip. Have to assume they did their due diligence and gathered all the information they needed including a personal workout to make the decision to select him. I at least have to trust the FO in that respect.
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:56 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:

Ok.

What is missing is we have not had much exposure to Bonga given he is an international player from Germany who was not an acclaimed prospect such as Doncic. As such the information on him is relatively scarce compared to a US prospect and from a few minutes in summer league we form the opinion he is not very good.

What is missing is we have no information on his private Laker workout or the scouting reports the Lakers have on him. He obviously must have impressed for a promise to be made. The Lakers hired and international scout this past season and Jesse and Rob took an overseas trip. Have to assume they did their due diligence and gathered all the information they needed including a personal workout to make the decision to select him. I at least have to trust the FO in that respect.

well said.
gaogi
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:42 am    Post subject:

BennyLava wrote:
I am willing to bet Bonga was an executive decided pick, not a scouting team decided pick.

Someone high up saw height and handles and started to drool.

There’s an article on theatheletic.com about how this is our European scout’s pick. The article is about our 20 year old European scout who’s still living at home with his parents. He scouted Svi and Bonga, so at worse 1 for 2.
la4win
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject:

LakersForever123 wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:

Ok.

well said.

I’m trying to understand how some are getting worked up about this pick. It’s normally expected late 2nd round picks to be projects and most usually don’t get off the bench. Thomas Bryant from last year, who many here taught had potential, didn’t get minutes and was cut this year. I’m looking at it with excitement, because our scouts (probably the best in the league) saw something in this guy and may be down the road he will become impact player. I’ll be pulling for the guy.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject:

la4win wrote:
I’m trying to understand how some are getting worked up about this pick. It’s normally expected late 2nd round picks to be projects and most usually don’t get off the bench. Thomas Bryant from last year, who many here taught had potential, didn’t get minutes and was cut this year. I’m looking at it with excitement, because our scouts (probably the best in the league) saw something in this guy and may be down the road he will become impact player. I’ll be pulling for the guy.

This is what worries me though. We have no history of patiently developing projects that are 2nd rd picks.

Looking at our draft history, the only project I'd say we've developed was Andrew Bynum and he was a lottery pick.

All the 2nd rd picks that we've kept contributed right away.

1990 - Tony Smith (my memory is a little fuzzy on him. I think he played right away as a rookie).
1993 - Nick Van Exel
2003 - Luke Walton
2005 - Ronny Turiaf
2012 - Robert Sacre (he did get minutes and we kept him around for 4 years)
2014 - Jordan Clarkson

So we don't have a good history of patiently waiting and developing 2nd rd picks. Players like:

2017 - Thomas Bryant (1 year)
2016 - Ivica Zubac - (3 yrs so far, still undetermined)
2015 - Anthony Brown (1 year)
2011 - Andrew Goudelock (2 years)
2011 - Darius Morris (2 years)
2010 - Derrick Caracter (1 year)
2010 - Devin Ebanks (3 years)
2007 - Sun Yue (1 year)
2005 - Von Wafer (1 year)
1999 - John Celestand (1 year)
1995 - Frankie King (1 year)
1992 - Duane Cooper (1 year)

Hopefully, we give Bonga time to develop. Our history shows that we don't really wait on 2nd rounders to develop. The ones we keep are able to contribute right away.

Ivica Zubac is a project that we've kept for 3 yrs now. Let's see if he'll get another contract or if he develops this year.
daytripper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject:

Lottery picks can be crapshoots let alone 2nd round picks.

With that said a good rule when it comes to the 2nd round is to do one of two things:
1. draft an overseas stash who can develop someplace like Europe on his own timetable without taking up a roster spot.
2. draft a college jr/sr that was overlooked for whatever reason in the first round but can still contribute to an NBA roster fairly soon.

IMO Bongo might eventually turn into an NBA player but that could potentially be 4-5 years down the road. I'm basing this on my own observations from s/l. The s/l was full of g league players and Bonga even looked overwhelmed with that. Realistically the Lakers cannot afford to carry him or anyone on their roster that many years esp with Lebron and the timetable moved up.

Anyway nothing ventured nothing gained. At least they didn't blow a 1st rounder on such a project. Teams have been guilty of doing that with similar prospects trying to find the next Giannis, etc.
tgi_friyay
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Ivica Zubac is a project that we've kept for 3 yrs now. Let's see if he'll get another contract or if he develops this year.

Zubac's only been with us for two years now. This upcoming season will be his third
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject:

tgi_friyay wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Zubac's only been with us for two years now. This upcoming season will be his third

Correct. We've "kept" him for 3 years now since we picked up the third year on his contract (unless he gets cut).
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
New postPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:02 am Post subject:
la4win wrote:

This is what worries me though. We have no history of patiently developing projects that are 2nd rd picks.

Looking at our draft history, the only project I'd say we've developed was Andrew Bynum and he was a lottery pick.

All the 2nd rd picks that we've kept contributed right away.

1990 - Tony Smith (my memory is a little fuzzy on him. I think he played right away as a rookie).
1993 - Nick Van Exel
2003 - Luke Walton
2005 - Ronny Turiaf
2012 - Robert Sacre (he did get minutes and we kept him around for 4 years)
2014 - Jordan Clarkson

So we don't have a good history of patiently waiting and developing 2nd rd picks. Players like:

2017 - Thomas Bryant (1 year)
2016 - Ivica Zubac - (3 yrs so far, still undetermined)
2015 - Anthony Brown (1 year)
2011 - Andrew Goudelock (2 years)
2011 - Darius Morris (2 years)
2010 - Derrick Caracter (1 year)
2010 - Devin Ebanks (3 years)
2007 - Sun Yue (1 year)
2005 - Von Wafer (1 year)
1999 - John Celestand (1 year)
1995 - Frankie King (1 year)
1992 - Duane Cooper (1 year)

Several things about this.
1. It shows how the depth of the draft has changed over the years. The most recent drafts with 1st round talents getting to mid 2nd round is basically unheard of.

2. Some of these guys didn't make it for different reasons. Hell, I even liked John Celestand, but half of the "bad" 2nd rounders weren't even NBA players.

3. What Bonga has above the rest of the other 2nd round picks is, his head is in the game. He's smaller than everyone physically and gets pushed around, but I've seen that dude rotate and at least try to defend the rim. I can't say that of the other 2nd round picks.

4. I am a bit frustrated that they're willing so easily to devote time to Bonga's development when Thomas Bryant, Anthony Brown dominate G-League too easily. They may be late bloomers, but I still think they're NBA players eventually. It's just 1 more level. Maybe they needed to show Jordan Clarkson level of off-season work ethic for one year.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Page 24 of 53
Jump to: